Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Feb 2010 at 9:46 AM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 9th May 2010 at 5:48 PM.
Default Matching Sidewalk Tiles: terrain paints and texture files for download :)
(edited everything out because I chose to go about it the easy way and just share my terrain paints)

So here you go: CAW texture files both to use as sidewalk replacements and terrain paints (because they use diferent scaling and thus need different files, as you all well know )

And: two in-game terrain paints to use, err, in game

hope you enjoy (no matter how simple, someone still has to do it )
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Sidewalk.rar (369.9 KB, 9110 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 19th Feb 2010 at 10:46 AM
That's very good! I can hardly spot any difference between them all.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Feb 2010 at 11:04 AM
thank you
it was a very good suggestion that got me started
Field Researcher
#4 Old 19th Feb 2010 at 2:27 PM
Cool Beans! that's a great addition!

I'd like to build a world, a better world.
Guess I'll start here...
Field Researcher
#5 Old 23rd Feb 2010 at 4:50 PM
Excellent, a very much needed and useful texture.

Thank you
Forum Resident
#6 Old 23rd Feb 2010 at 6:14 PM
Thank you so much!

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Test Subject
#7 Old 16th Jun 2010 at 3:25 AM Last edited by patninde : 22nd Jun 2010 at 8:28 AM.
Hooray! Thank you for this!

EDIT: Just a reminder, don't forget to 'align' the tiles in your roads with these tiles since when you paint them they are fixed. Good thing I noticed it early that my roads and the terrain paint tiles didn't match right on my world. I just moved my roads a tile and voila, they fit nicely.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 2:33 AM
It may have been five months since a reply in this thread but I feel it is only right that I thanks you for this. It will look great in the world I am working on.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Field Researcher
#9 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 7:12 AM
Would it be possible to get an offset version of the large tile to use when the road tiles are half a tile off?
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 16th Apr 2011 at 3:34 AM
Awesome!! I always thought it was strange that EA didn't give us sidewalk matching tiles. Thank you!!
Test Subject
#11 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 6:25 AM
thank you! I was directed here from Armiel's Charlton Island world "must have" shopping list. I appreciate your work, again... thank you.
Test Subject
#12 Old 14th May 2012 at 10:22 AM
Okay, I know this thread is a little old, but...

I have used and abused these terrain paints in my world. They are EVERYWHERE! I LOVE these paints.

I have used them only on lots. I don't think I've used them in CAW anywhere. Only in EIG and in-game building, so I guess I'm only using the package file ones that are in my Docs/Sims 3/mods folder, not the ones that I have in the Docs/CAW/Source textures one.
My problem is, when I go into CAW, the paint is not visible. I figured that was all right, since most of my CC (like windows and doors) isn't visible in CAW, but it still shows up in EIG and in the game when I've exported for testing.
However, the terrain paint on my lots doesn't show up in my game either; it looks like I never painted anything there. I can re-paint the lots in game, but still... I mean, I'd have to re-paint everytime I started a new game with this world, and there are so many lots that need this paint...
I have other custom terrain paints that work fine in CAW, EIG, and in-game. It's just these sidewalk ones that are disappearing, or going invisible, and it's so frustrating because I absolutely NEED these paints in my town area! They work if I paint lots in-game, but if the world has been "put through" CAW, it's like CAW is "wiping them off", and they don't come back unless I repaint them... Anyone have any ideas?
Scholar
#13 Old 16th May 2012 at 12:15 AM
Hopefully, a more experienced world builder will respond, but I believe that these CAW paints have to be in your C:\ProgramFiles\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\Packages folder, or whatever's appropriate for your computer, in order to work in CAW. You'll have to modify the Resource.cfg file to work with the custom content. There are instructions elsewhere in this thread if you don't know how. The files might have to be in the Documents folder, as well. I'm not sure. (I usually put everything in both places just to be sure.) Hope that helps!
Test Subject
#14 Old 16th May 2012 at 7:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimmyRN
Hopefully, a more experienced world builder will respond, but I believe that these CAW paints have to be in your C:\ProgramFiles\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\Packages folder, or whatever's appropriate for your computer, in order to work in CAW. You'll have to modify the Resource.cfg file to work with the custom content. There are instructions elsewhere in this thread if you don't know how. The files might have to be in the Documents folder, as well. I'm not sure. (I usually put everything in both places just to be sure.) Hope that helps!

SimmyRN, thank you SO MUCH! Yes, this has helped a LOT! I didn't have the packages in the C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create a World Tool\Packages folder, just in the My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages folder, and the .dds files in the My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\UserToolData\SourceTextures folder! I didn't realize the package files need to be in both; I thought they were just for using in-game... DERR!

At first, after I put the package files in the correct folder, I was disappointed to see that they still didn't show up in CAW. So I went into EIG, deleted about a half dozen lots (just the buildings part, not the bare lot itself), then replaced them with identical copies from the library. Then I saved, exited EIG, went back into CAW, and there they were! I could zoom way in and the paints didn't disappear like before. Yay! So happy! Now I just have to replace the rest of the lots.

I haven't yet exported to see if the paint still "sticks" in-game (I want to get a little more done in CAW first before I go through all the hassle of exporting and installing), but I'm pretty sure it will... If not, I guess I'll be back...

Again, thank you so much for your help, SimmyRN; I would never have thought of it on my own!

And I don't think I mentioned it before, but thank you to Simsimillian for making the sidewalk matching paints! They are such a wonderful addition to the game!
Scholar
#15 Old 17th May 2012 at 3:35 AM
I'm glad that it helped! These terrain paints are custom creations so I think that they have to be in the CAW files (possibly in both CAW Program Files and CAW Documents), in the dds files to be chosen as a CAW terrain paint, and in the The Sims 3 Documents custom content files so that they will show in CAW and in the world when it is being played in the game. If this is not correct, hopefully someone else will clarify for us.

I agree that they are fantastic but decided not to use them because everyone who wants to download a world with them in it will also have to download the terrain paints as custom content. They are not like the "liberated" in-game items that have been made available to use in CAW by the talented creators here. I hope to eventually see pictures of your world posted. Good luck with your project!
Test Subject
#16 Old 17th Feb 2013 at 10:05 PM
Default Hope that you can help
The sidewalk with the grey brick in Hidden Springs I have been trying to get the terrain paint to match the sidewalk, but the brick when I use the the terrain paint is larger than that of the sidewalk. You did such a fantastic job with these would you be willing to try another? Would be much appreciated because I don't know how.