Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#201 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 4:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
Well, I'm beginning to think they get some inspiration from articles like this...

(I pulled this straight from the comment section which, FYI, wholeheartedly disagrees with whatever idiot wrote the article.)

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Scholar
#202 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 5:10 PM Last edited by PuddingFace : 23rd Oct 2018 at 12:56 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion

(I pulled this straight from the comment section which, FYI, wholeheartedly disagrees with whatever idiot wrote the article.)

You know it's weird I was just reading another article from that author just now. And I was like this is such horseshit. I guess this author writes bad articles with very little knowledge about what she's writing.

If you like my mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon
Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Follow me on Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr
Mad Poster
#203 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 5:15 PM
I wonder who's letting her write all these articles. Then again, only clicks matter.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#204 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 5:26 PM
The most ridiculous complaint I've seen lately is that there's "too much choice" in TS3. Usually in defence of TS4's lack of colour wheel. Yeah, because downloading a thousand recolours of everything is so much better...

Instructor
#205 Old 23rd Oct 2018 at 12:17 AM
The lack of CAS is a big part of why I don't spend much time in TS4, but more than that, the lack of options. Yeah, I have TS4 and I think I have... 2 or 3? of the expansion packs (They were on sale, I was hoping they'd make it more fun for me. Spoiler: They didn't.) But I rarely if ever play, and definitely haven't played in at least 3 or 4 months (got a new hard drive recently).

I was hoping TS4 would be more creative/interactive but it kind of feels like no matter what you do you're playing one of those choose your own adventure games where you only have 3 options at a time and two of them will probably end up the same way no matter what you do. To me, it feels very formulaic and gets repetitious dead quick.

So when people say TS3 is bloated, I really think it depends on how you look at it. The Sims is supposed to be a life simulator and TS3 is far closer to that than TS4, imo. I like the spontaneity of TS3 because even when you think you know what's gonna happen, you're never 100% sure.
ie. You don't buy or make some random piece of equipment for there to be a chance of getting abducted by aliens but it just might happen when you go to sleep anyway.
ie. Yeah it's more likely to get hit by a meteor if you have a telescope but it could still randomly happen despite that.
ie. The Grim Reaper may show up at your party, reap someone, and then stick around to play the guitar or he may not.
So reading this list it sounds like I take a perverse amount of glee in misfortune befalling my sims. To be fair that's at least half true, but what I like more is the fact that even though I've been playing TS3 for several years now it can still surprise me.
Field Researcher
#206 Old 23rd Oct 2018 at 12:20 AM
I'm all for everyone being entitled to their own opinion, but I eternally roll my eyes at all those who force their opinion on others as if it's the truth.

I mean, honestly, what was the point of the article in the first place? To get people to agree with them? To get people to disagree with them? Why in the world does it matter to anyone whether or not one person likes/dislikes a game as much as the next person? If they don't like TS3, then they shouldn't play it, simple as that.

I can't even come up with a single purpose to write an article that's literally called 'The Sims 3 Sucks', when it does absolutely nothing for anyone reading it except for inflating the ego's of those who agree and pissing off the ones who don't.

Does anyone else understand, because I surely don't..
Scholar
#207 Old 23rd Oct 2018 at 3:02 AM Last edited by Elynda : 23rd Oct 2018 at 5:11 PM.
"The Sims 3 sucks shit, and if you say that you actually like this bloated game, you’re a liar."

If I really didn't like it I wouldn't have been batshit crazy enough to go on playing it for all these years! Nor would I have spent all that money on expansions and Store content. And why in Hades would anybody lie about that?

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Mad Poster
#208 Old 23rd Oct 2018 at 4:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nat 619
The most ridiculous complaint I've seen lately is that there's "too much choice" in TS3. Usually in defence of TS4's lack of colour wheel. Yeah, because downloading a thousand recolours of everything is so much better...

If an ice cream parlor (CASt) offers 131 flavors, the customer is not obligated to have a scoop of each one every time they visit (bleh). Even most children know how to have fun while managing a multitude of choices without making themselves sick in the process.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#209 Old 23rd Oct 2018 at 6:03 AM
And honestly, especially in TS3's case, what is there to be had from sitting there and complaining about a game you hate so much in the first place? It's no longer being actively developed, so if someone truly hates the game then why not just... move on to something else. What a brilliant concept! Seriously, you'll feel so much better and probably live longer from not constantly obsessing over such trivial things.

I mean, I could go on and on about the multitude of ways that TS2 can be corrupted, which to me is infinitely more frustrating to worry about than "having too many choices." Constantly playing and wondering if you've done something to ruin months of play in a single interaction. But I don't because 1) At the end of the day, TS2 is still a great game and I can see how people can look past all of that and continue to play it 2) I'm not so petty that I'm going to sit here and constantly point out this, this and this to get people on my side, or as TS4 would call it "rally the troops."

At the end of the day, it's a form of entertainment. One that people can be deeply passionate about. Some just take it waaaaay too far.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Forum Resident
#210 Old 23rd Oct 2018 at 4:15 PM
Kotaku also wrote an article that basically called the Sims fan community entitled.
Mad Poster
#211 Old 24th Oct 2018 at 12:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lakme
Kotaku also wrote an article that basically called the Sims fan community entitled.

I have not read that but some do have that attitude. Overall Simmers are a reasonable bunch but some are a PITA as we know. There are too many people with a sense of entitlement nowadays sadly.
Forum Resident
#212 Old 24th Oct 2018 at 1:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I have not read that but some do have that attitude. Overall Simmers are a reasonable bunch but some are a PITA as we know. There are too many people with a sense of entitlement nowadays sadly.

I agree, but I felt like it wasn't very balanced in presenting why the Sims fan community is so angry at the moment and overall how we've been treated by EA. It didn't help that they used SimGuruGrant as the example, heh.
Test Subject
#213 Old 27th Oct 2018 at 7:01 AM
This is more of a comment towards TS4 but i get yet don’t get how people pin open world as TS3 source of problems and claim thats why TS4 didnt do it. I’m not a game programmer so try to not claim Maxis is lazy just that EA gives them crazy time restrictions and crazy expectations for how many packs they make lol
Anyways TS3 open world doesnt even seem to really work bad at all. Just i don’t know how much foresight was put in to how much game expansions and content the engine could handle (ex: 32 bit)
I get how people may think TS4 got rid of Open World for “lag reasons” but only if they wouldn’t know about how TS4 started as Olympus until the SimCity disaster, so even if the devs wanted an open world it wasn’t in EA’s vision for the game.

And i don’t get how people say open world for the sims would never work lag free bc, compared to games like GTA’s open world, the sims actually simulates everything in the town yet...TS3 largest worlds are still TIIIINNNYYY compared to those open worlds lol. So correct me if im wrong that would kinda balance out how an open world could run🤷🏼‍♂️
Scholar
#214 Old 29th Oct 2018 at 4:57 PM
I guess I am one of those annoying people even though I did mention how the 'too much choice reason' is an excuse in that article for having none of that customisation in TS4 (which someone else got loads of agrees for later). But I was so stupid to be understanding about how someone's memory about a game can be easily skewed if they have trouble enjoying TS3 because run into one of it's typical issues and then simply give up at some point.

TS3 does run like shit and I bet you that many people give up on that after installing the nth expansion that will then tip TS3 performance over to the bad side of the scale. For people who got frustrated with this, it will be their main memory about TS3. And it is not a wrong opinion to have in that case, unlike some of you in this thread claim. You should not have to rely on community made manuals to keep your game run smoothly. Sure, if you do put in work in and you succeed, great for you. But on the other hand, I also understand how people can get frustrated enough with TS3 and call it a bad game because of that. Gameplay is not all there is to a game. It should run well too without any additional tweaks and modding. This is an objectively bad part of TS3. And that TS4 has it's own issue, is a seperate matter.

If TS3 runs smooth for someone, it is despite it flaws and thanks to your tuning and your modern day PC (or sheer luck, like when avoiding bugs in a game). Not because somehow that shitty software was improved over the years by the devs. And ofc your personal tolerance for bad running games comes into play too. I mean there are people who play shooters that run with less then 20fps.
Mad Poster
#215 Old 29th Oct 2018 at 5:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mithrak_nl
Gameplay is not all there is to a game.

My take on this is how much enjoyment we are able to have without utterly destroying our hardware, no matter how we are able to arrange it, is about all there is to a game.
Forum Resident
#216 Old 30th Oct 2018 at 1:05 AM
If TS3 runs smooth for someone, it is despite it flaws and thanks to your tuning and your modern day PC (or sheer luck, like when avoiding bugs in a game). Not because somehow that shitty software was improved over the years by the devs. And ofc your personal tolerance for bad running games comes into play too. I mean there are people who play shooters that run with less then 20fps.

I don't think anyone has ever said that TS3 running smoothly is because the shitty software has improved over the years. I'm not sure where you pulled that thought from.

In fact, I believe most people who play, and still love TS3 are the first people to admit that the game in its vanilla state is completely band-aided, sticky taped, and held together with dust and prayer.

And, its been reiterated time and time and time again in this thread that no, you shouldn't have to rely on community mods to make a game playable. Of course you shouldn't, but EA are clearly next to incompetent at optimising anything. So, if you wish a ( hopefully ) trouble free experience, then you need to use the mods that the community have taken the time and effort to produce, to try and fix what they can of EA's monumental mistakes.

It isn't hard to research these days, to see what people's experiences are. It isn't hard to find the information you need to learn how to help your TS3 game to run nicely. People don't have to leave themselves with a bad taste in their mouth because their memory of TS3 is a bad one due to game problems, not with all the tips and tricks that are available to people. Taking the time to educate yourself on ways to help it run will give you a much better experience.

I've also noticed that many people complaining about TS3's performance are people who try to run the game on a woefully underpowered laptop, fill it will gigs and gigs of third party content, and all EP's , wonder why their game runs like crap and then scream about how its a terrible game.
No. Those things do not help your experience, but that isn't the games fault.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
InnaLisa Pose Archive
Forum Resident
#217 Old 30th Oct 2018 at 2:43 AM
Well, again I also play TS3 without any game altering mods just fine. If I remember correctly I had been in and out of CAS more than 70 times consecutively during many playthroughs and it never crashed. And one time I left the game on over night and picked up to play in CAS some more the next day. The worse thing that happened was the game started to slow down...that's it. The Sims 3 might run horrible for some without mods but I have not had any issues running the game as is. All EP's/SP's/The whole store content installed...still runs fine.

The more mods I put in the game, the performance starts to become unstable and begins to run poorly. That's my personal experience concerning playing with or without mods. The Sims 3 does have problems but I'm saying I personally do not experience too much nuance related to performance alone. Still would have been nice for a 64-Bit Sims game though.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#218 Old 8th Nov 2018 at 12:20 PM
Pulling from my earlier point of how something like a poorly written article is just grasping at straws for a point, by contrast here is an excellently written article:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...still-isnt.html

(Yes, it's about TS4.) Now THAT is how you write an article criticizing something. The author has taken the time to list paragraphs full of valid, verifiable criticisms about the game. Not only that, but they still manage to list positive aspects that they like about it without completely throwing it under the bus.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#219 Old 8th Nov 2018 at 1:03 PM

I understand your point about performance issues. I really do. In an ideal world, this should not even be an issue. But as is the case a fair amount of the time, it simply doesn't happen. I know everyone probably thinks I love to pick jabs at TS4, but it's not like it doesn't have its own problems as well. Back when I was playing it somewhat regularly I had my own issues with that game. My performance was also less than stellar there for quite a while, on a system that should have no trouble at all playing the game. That seemed to get somewhat smoothed out before I stopped playing it, but there are other problems still plaguing it to this day. Case in point, time going back. That problem has been an issue since basically TS4 has been released, and people are STILL having trouble with it. I remember when my Sims would sleep, it would go backwards no less than 8-9 times. That is just atrocious. But, you would think that because TS4 is a "live service" that they would be on top of this, right? I guess not. Just glancing at the patch notes they release shows that a game that gets updated monthly, or used to, only gets priority to fix the smallest of bugs, not longstanding issues such as this. So, while I get what you are saying, let's not pretend EA should receive free goodwill for slightly better performance with the likes of TS4 when they can't even fix their current, actively developed game.

Test Subject
#220 Old 8th Nov 2018 at 6:56 PM
Has anyone peeked into the source code of TS3 and assessed how much work it would be for EA to recompile, (possibly modify) and produce a 64-bit build of the entire game? Some older games (Age of Empires) have been re-released recently - I guess some publishers find it viable to modernise their prior success games. I wish EA would find this to be the case too.
Mad Poster
#221 Old 8th Nov 2018 at 7:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by luftspeiler
Has anyone peeked into the source code of TS3 and assessed how much work it would be for EA to recompile, (possibly modify) and produce a 64-bit build of the entire game? Some older games (Age of Empires) have been re-released recently - I guess some publishers find it viable to modernise their prior success games. I wish EA would find this to be the case too.

I do not believe that anyone other than EA has access to the actual source code. It's a proprietary program.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#222 Old 8th Nov 2018 at 7:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
I do not believe that anyone other than EA has access to the actual source code. It's a proprietary program.

And on top of that, EA's own internal policy is that they dislike "remastering" their older releases to focus on "building and providing new and exciting experiences for gamers." They haven't done so with any previous Sims game, and they're not going to do so with TS3. Even if they did, it would probably be tied completely to Origin, which would rule out about at least half of the TS3 playerbase. And simply having a 64 bit build of the game wouldn't fix everything, there's far more under the hood bogging down the game than most realize.

Mad Poster
#223 Old 9th Nov 2018 at 10:35 PM
That the sims 3 is good...

It's not. It's the BEST. YALL SHOULD BE WORSHIPPING IT1

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Forum Resident
#224 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 11:19 PM
You can't rotate households.... Why do people say that? I rotate households all the time.
Test Subject
#225 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 3:18 AM
My friend said that they preferred the Sims 4 because most of the activity was at home and the big town world of the Sims 3 was unnecessary. (dare I say too big!)
Page 9 of 12