Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Mar 2018 at 12:12 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 28th Jun 2018 at 8:41 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Attach occupied RiverBlossom to Pleasantview - Update: New way of getting pre-mades into hoods
I have read this http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=502306 but I still need modern day clarification. It seems to be saying, to me, that I could attach a neighborhood I've been playing, such as Riverblossom, as a subhood to Pleasantville, which I've also been playing, and I want to do that, but I think I may be reading it wrong somehow, because wouldn't we, then, have sims crossing between neighborhoods, which we can't safely do, and wouldn't we have duplicates meeting themselves... so, can we do this safely? Am I just reading it wrong?

I would love to attach the separate neighborhoods that I have been playing so that my favorite sims can get to know each other and cross over, not with clones, I know about clones, but as their real selves with their long histories and memories and relationships (I rarely age them). Is this possible by changing neighborhood types?

EDIT: SCROLL TO POST #17 FOR A NEW SOLUTION
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Mar 2018 at 1:10 PM
It's already been done!

Grab Mootilda's fix: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=420924

Go here, scroll down to Shopping Districts, and grab the hoods you want and put them in -INSTALL LOCATION-\The Sims 2 Open For Business\TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate: https://meetme2theriver.livejournal.com/63030.html

Now you simply go to add a new shopping district, they should appear as options.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Forum Resident
#3 Old 5th Mar 2018 at 5:37 PM
That link only contains the unplayed Riverblossom, not the one you have. If you want the Maxis sims to meet, you can just download the shopping district version and attach it, but that would be clones and not the sims you've played.

The thread you linked would in theory allow you to turn your own Riverblossom into a subhood that can then be attached to any neighborhood. At a glance though it looks like it'll only work with neighborhoods that have no subhoods attached, including stealth subhoods, which you probably already have. You might be better off using the Shopping District Riverblossom and manually adding those memories.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 5th Mar 2018 at 7:05 PM
Oops. I misread. Sorry.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Alchemist
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Mar 2018 at 12:25 AM
Yeah, I'm getting that it's theoretically possible, but, once you've played them a while, probably not practical. Thank you both for clarifying.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 12:46 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 7th Mar 2018 at 1:48 AM.
Default Moving the idea to a megahood
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Yeah, I'm getting that it's theoretically possible, but, once you've played them a while, probably not practical. Thank you both for clarifying.

@ihatemandatoryregister, this wasn't exactly the answer to this question, but it's where we are headed anyway, because I do want a megahood with the pre-made sims in it. I wonder if you or @ovenhole or others can help me clarify. There are so many mega, uber, stealth, clean, empty threads over so many years, it's all very confusing. I would really appreciate it if someone would make sure I'm on the right track or correct me before things go horribly wrong.

Right now, I have Jawusa's empty stealth hoods in the game folders and the template for N001 renamed there, as well, so that, when I create a new hood, it's empty. My normal longtime hoods are untouched by this. If I understand this correctly, this really has nothing to do with creating a megahood using the original pre-made Sims, so none of that will change if I move to the next step, right?

My understanding of the link you provided is that it's for this different purpose - to create one clean, not empty, neighborhood as a main hood and attach other hoods as shopping districts so that I and the Sims can move between them just as we do in Pleasantview and its downtown and unis now. These files on livejournal are not empty but include pre-made Sims, hoods built on them will be cleaner than the game usually would be, with fewer NPCs, strays, etc. with the right mods.

If I want to do this just once, to create one particular configuration of a mega-uber-hood (whatever it's called), I will not touch the game files, everything from livejournal will go in the correct Documents folders, but.. and THIS is the part I really want to be sure about - I'll have to back up the main hood I have now and remove it from the documents folder IF I intend to choose a main hood that I'm now playing. So, IF I want the main hood of the mega-uber to be Pleasantview, I can't keep the old Pleasantview where it is. I have to pack it away or change all the file names or something like that.

However, and this is my main long-winded question, if I DON'T use any main hood that I'm currently using - say I long ago deleted Strangetown - so now I could use Strangetown as the main hood and attach a Pleasantview as a shopping district, etc, and all would be fine. I could keep playing my current Pleasantview as well. So, doesn't this mean... I could also just start with an empty neighborhood, my own little self-made cradle of civilization where the gods live or something, and then attach everything else to that as shopping districts? Then all my current neighborhoods are still playable, plus I have this giant mega clean thing, right?

This should also mean I don't have to clone very many sims because most of my sims are pre-mades that I've taken over. I'd just need to SimPE some things to make them pretty close to the way I like them now.

EDIT: Oh, wait! On the livejournal page, it seems to say that the Downtown as a downtown and the Unis and the Shopping Districts all go in the game folder Neighborhood Templates, so not the Documents? Is that right? And the stealth go in the same place I currently have empty templates, so I guess I do have to replace those?
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 6:35 AM
@ihatemandatoryregister, this wasn't exactly the answer to this question, but it's where we are headed anyway, because I do want a megahood with the pre-made sims in it. I wonder if you or @ovenhole or others can help me clarify. There are so many mega, uber, stealth, clean, empty threads over so many years, it's all very confusing. I would really appreciate it if someone would make sure I'm on the right track or correct me before things go horribly wrong.

Right now, I have Jawusa's empty stealth hoods in the game folders and the template for N001 renamed there, as well, so that, when I create a new hood, it's empty. My normal longtime hoods are untouched by this. If I understand this correctly, this really has nothing to do with creating a megahood using the original pre-made Sims, so none of that will change if I move to the next step, right?

My understanding of the link you provided is that it's for this different purpose - to create one clean, not empty, neighborhood as a main hood and attach other hoods as shopping districts so that I and the Sims can move between them just as we do in Pleasantview and its downtown and unis now. These files on livejournal are not empty but include pre-made Sims, hoods built on them will be cleaner than the game usually would be, with fewer NPCs, strays, etc. with the right mods.

If I want to do this just once, to create one particular configuration of a mega-uber-hood (whatever it's called), I will not touch the game files, everything from livejournal will go in the correct Documents folders, but.. and THIS is the part I really want to be sure about - I'll have to back up the main hood I have now and remove it from the documents folder IF I intend to choose a main hood that I'm now playing. So, IF I want the main hood of the mega-uber to be Pleasantview, I can't keep the old Pleasantview where it is. I have to pack it away or change all the file names or something like that.

However, and this is my main long-winded question, if I DON'T use any main hood that I'm currently using - say I long ago deleted Strangetown - so now I could use Strangetown as the main hood and attach a Pleasantview as a shopping district, etc, and all would be fine. I could keep playing my current Pleasantview as well. So, doesn't this mean... I could also just start with an empty neighborhood, my own little self-made cradle of civilization where the gods live or something, and then attach everything else to that as shopping districts? Then all my current neighborhoods are still playable, plus I have this giant mega clean thing, right?

This should also mean I don't have to clone very many sims because most of my sims are pre-mades that I've taken over. I'd just need to SimPE some things to make them pretty close to the way I like them now.

EDIT: Oh, wait! On the livejournal page, it seems to say that the Downtown as a downtown and the Unis and the Shopping Districts all go in the game folder Neighborhood Templates, so not the Documents? Is that right? And the stealth go in the same place I currently have empty templates, so I guess I do have to replace those?

If you want to have Neighborhoods with Townies etc. you need to replace the empty templates with the Clean Templates from the livejournal page. If you follow the Directions on the livejournal page you can have a working über Nieghborhood with little problem.

You start with one of the Base Neighborhoods and then you place the other Neighborhoods that you want to add as Shopping Districts {this is what I did} or as additional Downtown Neighborhoods in the proper Neighborhood Templates folder. The livejournal page has good directions, I followed them and added the Neighborhoods as Shopping Districts with no problems at all.

There is a set of Mods by Mootilda that you need to add so that the game finds the new Neighborhoods easily.

I hope that this helps and that I am making sense.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 7:34 AM
The subhoods meetme2theriver put up on the Livejournal have been created either in the way Mootilda described or in a similar fashion, as well as cleaned of any corruption. You can just download Riverblossom as a Shopping District and attach it to any of your current neighborhoods. You'd have a played Pleasantview and an unplayed Riverblossom that way.

If you want to start with a fresh Pleasantview, then yes, you have to remove or change your current Pleasantview, since they share the same name. The link in the first post has something about batch renaming all files to rename a neighborhood. If you don't want to do that, you could also create a new game folder for your Uberhood.

You can't have empty stealth templates and clean templates at the same time, since that kind of defeats the purpose of the empty templates. You could, however, put the clean templates in, create your Uberhood, and then put the empty templates back in for future neighborhoods, since they don't affect any existing hoods.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 11:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ovenhole
The subhoods meetme2theriver put up on the Livejournal have been created either in the way Mootilda described or in a similar fashion, as well as cleaned of any corruption. You can just download Riverblossom as a Shopping District and attach it to any of your current neighborhoods. You'd have a played Pleasantview and an unplayed Riverblossom that way.

Oh! This had not occurred to me! (Still a bit confused obviously.) So, I could keep my Pleasantview and just attach anything else to that as a shopping district? And then just fix that one to be like the one I play? I think I was under the impression I couldn't do that. That would be far easier since the great majority of my beloved sims are in the current Pleasantview and I could just clone/tweak the ones in the new Riverblossom or whatever. Thank you!

But that should mean, I can somehow pack up my current Riverblossom lots without the sims and attach that somehow as a shopping district, shouldn't I? Then I wouldn't have to rebuild the lots in a new one? I really appreciate your patience while I figure all this out, btw.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 12:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lordtyger9
If you want to have Neighborhoods with Townies etc. you need to replace the empty templates with the Clean Templates from the livejournal page. If you follow the Directions on the livejournal page you can have a working über Nieghborhood with little problem.

I've never been entirely clear how to tell who is a townie or where they come from. Is there a list somewhere?
Mad Poster
#11 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 12:53 PM
Chris Hatch's Ask About Family is a good way to tell: http://simfileshare.net/folder/22510/

It adds an option to a Sim's pie menu, Ask > About Family (it works even if the Sim hasn't been greeted) and then you get a popup in the corner telling you if they're a playable, an NPC, townie, downtownie, etc. It's handy for me because I have an enormous hood and my memory is shot.

Alchemist
Original Poster
#12 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 1:06 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 7th Mar 2018 at 4:13 PM. Reason: Additional problem, no interim post
Default ACK! HELP! Duplicate Sims
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
Chris Hatch's Ask About Family is a good way to tell: http://simfileshare.net/folder/22510/

It adds an option to a Sim's pie menu, Ask > About Family (it works even if the Sim hasn't been greeted) and then you get a popup in the corner telling you if they're a playable, an NPC, townie, downtownie, etc. It's handy for me because I have an enormous hood and my memory is shot.

That is beyond awesome! Thank you! What's the odt files? Do I just need the package?

EDIT: ACK! HELP!

So, I was experimenting with adding a hood as shopping district to an existing played-with hood, not an important one. I added one, then I deleted it. I didn't know that the game would put all the sims who were in the shopping district into the bin for the main hood. Before I noticed that, I did it again, to check another theory and deleted it, and now there are a couple of duplicates in the bin. ACK! Can I delete these sims in the bin, since they've never been played with? Should I just never delete a shopping district? Will a restored backup hood get rid of the unwanted sims? What... uh... yeah.... what?
Forum Resident
#13 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 4:34 PM
You should never delete a sim from the bin, even if they have never been played. So, yes, you'll need to restore the backup to get rid of the duplicates.

Deleting a subhood should be safe, unless there were any graves in that subhood. You'll need to move those to the main hood first.

Quote:
So, I could keep my Pleasantview and just attach anything else to that as a shopping district? And then just fix that one to be like the one I play? I think I was under the impression I couldn't do that. That would be far easier since the great majority of my beloved sims are in the current Pleasantview and I could just clone/tweak the ones in the new Riverblossom or whatever.

That's right, you can just download a Shopping District version of Riverblossom and put it anywhere.

Quote:
But that should mean, I can somehow pack up my current Riverblossom lots without the sims and attach that somehow as a shopping district, shouldn't I? Then I wouldn't have to rebuild the lots in a new one? I really appreciate your patience while I figure all this out, btw.

That one wouldn't work, because your current Riverblossom has subhoods attached to it. Not just Downtown, but the stealth subhoods like Hobbies, Weather, etc with their NPCs. Going by what Mootilda said, you can't turn a neighborhood into a subhood if it has subhoods attached, and the invisible ones can't be removed. The method she described to create a subhood involves making it so the stealth hoods are never created in the first place.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 4:41 PM
If you didn't have a backup, what I would recommend is to rename the duplicates (the Sim Manipulator is the simplest I've found so far) and then use them to, ahem, populate a graveyard. But restoring the backup will work.

Mad Poster
#15 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 7:21 PM
What you use to rename sims depends (to me) on what kind of sims they are. If they're playable sims living on a lot, there are several mods, including the Manipulator mentioned above, that will work just fine.

If the sims are NOT living on a lot for some reason (townies, NPCs, playables that are in the bin, etc.), I recommend using TwoJeffs' Sim Blender since it uses the phone book dialog. This allows you to rename sims without having to go through the laborious process of teleporting them in, making them selectable to rename them, and then teleporting them back off your lot again.

If you have MANY sims to rename, SimPE would probably be best if you're comfortable using it. The latest version is available here: http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...319#post5338319
Alchemist
Original Poster
#16 Old 8th Mar 2018 at 11:56 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 8th Mar 2018 at 1:14 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
What you use to rename sims depends (to me) on what kind of sims they are. If they're playable sims living on a lot, there are several mods, including the Manipulator mentioned above, that will work just fine.

If the sims are NOT living on a lot for some reason (townies, NPCs, playables that are in the bin, etc.), I recommend using TwoJeffs' Sim Blender since it uses the phone book dialog. This allows you to rename sims without having to go through the laborious process of teleporting them in, making them selectable to rename them, and then teleporting them back off your lot again.

If you have MANY sims to rename, SimPE would probably be best if you're comfortable using it. The latest version is available here: http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...319#post5338319

Agreed, SimPE is the easiest for me, too. But these others will be good for small jobs. Thanks! For this one, I just restored the backup since I wasn't stuck with the glitch. In future, though, I'll know that deleting a shopping district will have this result.

Oth, I guess it's a really easy way to make clones if I can find a use for it... hmmmm. Do you guys think it's an easy way to make clones of the playables in my actual played Riverblossom to put into the main neighborhood? I mean, once the Riverblossom pre-mades (from the clean shopping district that I attached and then deleted) were in the bin of the main neighborhood, Belladonna, then couldn't I have put them in the main neighborhood to play? It'd be the same as leaving the shopping district attached and moving them between them, right? This would save a lot of work, rather than cloning appearances in SimPE and starting with nothing and then having to move them all into the game, etc. This way, they'd be already in the game and have all the same original memories and connections. I'd still make adjustments in SimPE to bring them closer to the ones I'd been playing, but it'd be a lot easier. Or would you be deleting a bunch of sims they have relationships with by deleting the shopping district? Just trying to figure out how it all works, so I really understand it.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#17 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 8:36 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 28th Jun 2018 at 9:32 PM.
Agreed, SimPE is the easiest for me, too. But these others will be good for small jobs. Thanks! For this one, I just restored the backup since I wasn't stuck with the glitch. In future, though, I'll know that deleting a shopping district will have this result.

Oth, I guess it's a really easy way to make clones if I can find a use for it... hmmmm. Do you guys think it's an easy way to make clones of the playables in my actual played Riverblossom to put into the main neighborhood? I mean, once the Riverblossom pre-mades (from the clean shopping district that I attached and then deleted) were in the bin of the main neighborhood, Belladonna, then couldn't I have put them in the main neighborhood to play? It'd be the same as leaving the shopping district attached and moving them between them, right? This would save a lot of work, rather than cloning appearances in SimPE and starting with nothing and then having to move them all into the game, etc. This way, they'd be already in the game and have all the same original memories and connections. I'd still make adjustments in SimPE to bring them closer to the ones I'd been playing, but it'd be a lot easier. Or would you be deleting a bunch of sims they have relationships with by deleting the shopping district? Just trying to figure out how it all works, so I really understand it.

I want to update this for future reference, because I just discovered that the Beginning Hoods Project very recently created hoods using this same idea, so, apparently, it *is* possible to use this method to "move" copies of pre-made sims into hoods. Awesome! http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=579829 Note that the pre-mades in these hoods are the pre-pre-mades, the ancestors of the usual pre-mades.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 12:49 AM
Riverblossom and all the hoods is available as shopping hoods here where Tarlia's other hoods are:
://meetme2theriver.livejournal.com/63030.html