Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 9:02 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise
Default Can someone tell me what is causing my game to crash by looking at the crash log?
Is it possible someone can tell the cause of a crash by looking at the xcpt files created when the game crashes? its become a serial issue and id like to know if its a certain piece of cc or something with the system or memory or whatever.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  xcpt Emmas-MacBook-P 18-09-15 15.53.46.txt (12.0 KB, 8 downloads)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 3:01 AM
Crash logs are mostly useless. The only relevant information we can get out of that one is this, the rest is not helpful.
Total virtual memory: 2047 Mb
Free virtual memory: 0 Mb

Your game is out usable resources at the time of the crash. Your Mac has 8 GB of RAM total, which is plenty, but the Mac version of the game is crippled and can only utilize 2 GB before crashes or other equally bad things happen due to the improper way that EA set up the port of TS3 into the Mac OS. The log does not tell us the cause of the sudden overload, it could very well be CC. If this is a new issue that you never had before, perhaps start by removing that which you have added most recently and go from there?

Just about the only thing you can do to coax more performance out the game is to purge (reset) RAM on a regular basis throughout gameplay if you aren't already doing so. This may or may not help and only up to a point.
https://bluebellflora.com/resetting-ram-during-gameplay

When I played the Mac version of the game, what you have described would be an almost daily occurrence whenever I stayed in CAS too long (meaning long enough to edit all categories for one sim from beginning to end) or made more than one or two lot additions or adjustments in Edit Town. After a while and with lots of the heavier EPs in play, the 2 GB limit got in my face constantly and I finally gave up on that version of the game like so many others and switched over to Windows by way of Bootcamp. I believe we have had this conversation before, but it's been a while. Whether Bootcamp is a viable option will depend on if you have sufficient drive space and patience to devote to a second operating system, and what your Mac has for a graphics card (if integrated Intel and not AMD or Nvidia this is only going to shift the problem over in a different direction). But the Windows version RAM limit is just under 4 GB, not 2 GB, and for those of us who can work with the game that way the difference can be like night and day.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 4:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Crash logs are mostly useless. The only relevant information we can get out of that one is this, the rest is not helpful.
Total virtual memory: 2047 Mb
Free virtual memory: 0 Mb

Your game is out usable resources at the time of the crash. Your Mac has 8 GB of RAM total, which is plenty, but the Mac version of the game is crippled and can only utilize 2 GB before crashes or other equally bad things happen due to the improper way that EA set up the port of TS3 into the Mac OS. The log does not tell us the cause of the sudden overload, it could very well be CC. If this is a new issue...

Thank you for the advise! Ive been playing sims on Mac for like 5+ years now so I am fully aware of how poor the gameplay can get lol. Every time I have an issue with freezing or force quitting the answer I always get is, 'Well thats what you get for playing on a Mac ¯\_(ツ)_/¯'

I will try your suggesting of the RAM purging thing and see if that improves it at all. Otherwise I will admit I do play with a lot of CC, although I try my best to combine file it try and save space. Do you know, if combining CC files actually save space in the game or does it just save space in my physical files?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 6:47 PM
Do you mean merging content into smaller numbers of larger package files? If so, that should improve startup times as the game will have far fewer individual packages to read from but the impact it will have on performance and RAM/resource usage is, I'm afraid, not all that great. Or at least not typically great enough to make a significant difference when 2 GB is still the absolute upper limit on RAM.