Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Dec 2016 at 5:19 PM
Default What did you get for christmas?
(or other winter holidays)

What did you get for Christmas? I got a super nice laptop and a bunch of clothes. (And the obligatory pair of socks.)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th Dec 2016 at 5:32 PM
A large stack of books, a PJ, money/gift card, a chocolate mold, a bath towel, gloves, some pictures, a pack of tea (which I'm probably not going to drink), and a few other things.

I feel the stack gets smaller and smaller with each year, but at least I was happy with nearly everything this year...
Scholar
#3 Old 25th Dec 2016 at 6:22 PM
A PS4 and World of Final Fantasy, which I didn't even ask for anything actually but hey I won't complain.
Theorist
#4 Old 25th Dec 2016 at 7:51 PM
A 1TB SSD and 32 gigs of ram. This is the best Christmas I've had in years... it's at least as good as the year I got a pink bicycle and the year I got my stereo. I can't wait to see what it does for my Sims load times.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 25th Dec 2016 at 9:14 PM
A massage chair, which I hope dh will set up and get working today (26th here)

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 25th Dec 2016 at 9:42 PM
Portable turntable for my vinyls, chocolate, Christmas sweater, bath stuff, an IOU off my Dad for a Slash vinyl pop figure (because they come out in January), a slow cooker, gloves and a bobble hat

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Instructor
#7 Old 25th Dec 2016 at 9:58 PM
Season Six of Game of thrones, 2 light up Rubber ducks for my collection,and an IOU for my updated PC
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#8 Old 25th Dec 2016 at 10:48 PM
An iPad, some lovely jewellery, pretty scarves and chocolates. More to come tomorrow when we see some more family and then more in the New Year!

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#9 Old 25th Dec 2016 at 11:07 PM
A can opener.

Yep. A can opener. And if you'd seen how I've been opening cans for the last 2 or so years, you'd understand how happy that can opener makes me.
Scholar
#10 Old 25th Dec 2016 at 11:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
A can opener.

Yep. A can opener. And if you'd seen how I've been opening cans for the last 2 or so years, you'd understand how happy that can opener makes me.

I can actually imagine. Quality can openers are so hard to find these days. We resorted to buying an electric one because all the handhelds were breaking after one use!

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Theorist
#11 Old 26th Dec 2016 at 12:53 AM
Nothing

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 26th Dec 2016 at 1:34 AM
Several things, but the one that stood out the most to me was this mix-tape that my sister-in-law made for me. I wanted to cry, it was really sweet.

"God created dinosaurs. God destroyed dinosaurs. God created Man. Man destroyed God. Man created dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs eat man...Woman inherits the earth."

- Michael Crichton, Jurassic Park

My Simblr | Hadi Family Tree
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#13 Old 26th Dec 2016 at 1:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bubblebeam
I can actually imagine. Quality can openers are so hard to find these days. We resorted to buying an electric one because all the handhelds were breaking after one use!

I got an old - and I mean old, it was harvest gold in color - can opener at a yard sale for 50 cents. That thing lasted me for around 10 years. I also had a really good handheld can opener at that time. They both decided they were done working at about the same time, I almost cried. I'd been using a so-so handheld for a few years when my mom picked up an electric handheld one at a yard sale. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Most of the time I have to start a hole with the regular handheld (because the electric one doesn't want to do that) then try to finish opening the can with the electric one (because the regular handheld doesn't want to grip the can and turn reliably anymore) - THEN, more often than not, I have to pry the lid up with a screwdriver because the can didn't open all the way. It's crazy and there have been times I said to hell with it and just went without whatever was in the can, lol. Hopefully this new can opener works just fine 100% of the time.. the thing is a beast! For what it's worth, I also picked up a toaster at that same sale all those years ago. It still works!

Quote: Originally posted by Viktor86
Nothing.

I knew well before today that there just wasn't enough money for gifts for me. It was still sad to watch my kids open theirs (and they only got 3 each) this morning and have to just sit and watch them. My mom is the one who got me the can opener - otherwise there wouldn't have been anything for me. (She said nobody should have to open cans the way I have been, lol.) My $12 coffee pot I got 4 years ago works just fine but I'm thinking it might develop problems before next Christmas.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 26th Dec 2016 at 1:48 AM
I try and only buy ring pull pull cans.

My dh got me a massage chair but I have yet to try it as he is still fiddling with it. My FIL got me some Scratchies. I bought myself a new handbag but it hasn't arrived yet.

Edit I asked dh if he got the chair working yet and he says "It's lovely"

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#15 Old 26th Dec 2016 at 6:34 AM
@mustluvcatz

The reason is actually not that sad. In my country it's simply no tradition to give and get gifts with Christmas. Our gifts fest is 3 weeks earlier, on the 5th of December with something similar. It's called Sinterklaas and is the original version of Santa Claus.

Which I didn't celebrate either. Although many teens and adults celebrate it with surprises, gifts bought and packed in a themed box + a humorous and rhyming poem by a fellow competitor in secret, I don't do that. It's for children up to an age of 12/13, who believe in him still being alive. I'm too old myself and don't have kids, so I don't celebrate it.

I tried it with Christmas once or twice, but it doesn't feel the same as our own version. Here is Christmas about eating and fake sociability with family you normally don't want to see. For people who don't believe in a Christian divine power.

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Scholar
#16 Old 26th Dec 2016 at 9:05 AM
A toster (thanks mom ), a lot of pretty packed sweets and a book - Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Pretty happy with everything.
Alchemist
#17 Old 26th Dec 2016 at 5:55 PM
Gaming headset with a great sound, backlight keyboard with 3 colours. Now my desk is bright and colourful

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#18 Old 26th Dec 2016 at 6:34 PM
My parents got me 28 American-exclusive (I live in Canada) chapsticks in different scents. My mom accidentally ordered TWELVE Red Velvet by mistake. but that's fine. XD

I also got two copies of my favourite computer headset (which is going to be discontinued this year and are fairly cheap, so they break quickly), a couple T-shirts, and a computer speaker.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#19 Old 26th Dec 2016 at 8:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
Sex.

...You asked, don't blame me if TMI.

Hey! Me Too!

But I also got a new coffee cup...with a flamingo on it, and a new insulated water bottle...with a flamingo on it.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 26th Dec 2016 at 9:16 PM Last edited by cord11 : 27th Dec 2016 at 8:23 PM.
I got the flu

Threw up 8 times in the last 24 hours, but it's mostly just been water so it doesn't hurt my throat. Except the first massive bit of vomit, that got slightly painful.

Otherwise, I got Pokémon Moon, a proper pair of headphones instead of earbuds, and a total of $500.

Edit: Glad that people can find the comedy in my suffering. I did actually throw up a 9th time, but got better. Yay now I can eat the leftovers from Christmas dinner. Finally, home-made apple pie!

WowoW it's a badly hidden owo UwU Yeet skeet Idk what I'm doing
Theorist
#21 Old 27th Dec 2016 at 7:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bubblebeam

I totally agree...sorry to go offtopic about gifts but we have had the same problem. Can opener #1 (safety one) stopped working, so we bought another hand held but it wasn't a safety one and was HORRIBLE to use. Finally bought an electric one but that's not brilliant for certain rims. I guess I need to break down and buy a $20.00-$25.00 Oxo can opener but that's not going to happen.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Field Researcher
#22 Old 27th Dec 2016 at 8:01 PM
I got a few things- far too much for a 21 year old who lives rent free with her parents. I'm currently wearing a shirt that my dad bought off of Amazon with a turtle on it that says "I'm not late, , I'm early for tomorrow." I love it so much, I'm trying to ignore the new-shirt glue smell (I really should've washed it first.)

Also got two adult coloring books, a pair of converse (yay!), and some makeup. And a TON of expensive body wash, but I feel like my mom bought them for both of us.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 27th Dec 2016 at 8:11 PM Last edited by gazania : 27th Dec 2016 at 8:27 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
A can opener.

Hey, this is the person who is happy about a pair of socks for Christmas! I dress pretty plainly, but I do have a thing for colorful, patterned, unusual socks. I had liked this pair for years, but with a tight budget, it's not as if I felt comfortable getting those on a whim. I really liked this particular pair of socks, and had them on my Amazon wish list for years. They went down in price, and were about to be discontinued.

Sims 4 was an early stocking stuffer, and I got Sims 3 Ambitions on Christmas Day. I received a few other things I wanted as well, such as a fascinating movie DVD from my children.

When I was younger, I really craved fancier things. But I have tons of clutter in my house (many are gifts from a relative who thinks I like lots of tsotchkes). Too much for me now, in fact. I'm finding myself donating more stuff because I'd like to tone things down. I've long, long gotten over desiring flashy jewelry (Somehow, wearing a fancy ring while going to a movie seems a little ostentatious! A few simple and nice ... definitely not at all expensive ... and most of all, versatile pieces for dressier occasions are enough.) My clothing is mostly casual, since most occasions are casual. I find homemade goodies and small surprises such as that movie DVD, and yes, the socks, far more special than piles of presents. And years of living on a tight budget has kind of eliminated cravings for most larger presents, unless there is a practical reason behind them, such as a mixer about a decade ago when my old one bit the dust.

Gettin' old, maybe?

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#24 Old 27th Dec 2016 at 9:28 PM
I'm a pretty easy person to buy gifts for. Candles, body wash and lotion, books.. always guaranteed to be a hit. But I needed a can opener way more than I needed things that smell good or that I can read. Although.. my oldest DID give me a book, a Stephen King book of short stories from last year. And I'm trying to enjoy it, I really am.. the damn thing is so big and heavy (hardcover) though and I have arthritis in my hands and wrists.. So yeah, holding on to the damned thing isn't any fun. (But still, it's a book. And a NEW book, not a used one. Not that there's anything wrong with used books!!)

The perfect present though? That would've been a pile of lefse made the way my Grandma used to make them. I see them in the store now and then but can't imagine they'd be anything like her's.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 27th Dec 2016 at 10:23 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 15th Feb 2017 at 2:59 PM.
Mustluvcatz, find yourself a good position with your feet up (couch, bed, stressless, or somewhere comfy with a footrest - whatever, really) - this works best if you don't have your legs flat out, by the way - and rest the book against your thighs. Use your hands to keep the pages down, and you don't have to worry about holding the book. You can also support the book on a pillow, blanket, or anything soft that fits on your lap. There's even some page-holders you can get in some bookshops and "gadgets to make life easier" kind of shops. You clip them on, and they hold open the book for you. I don't have one, mostly because I read so fast I'd spend half the time on clipping and unclipping the thing, and getting frustrated... But they're probably good for people who have troubles holding open books, or people who do other things while reading. Probably nice for cookbooks or students.

I don't usually have troubles holding books unless they're really big hardcover versions - but I'm currently reading the illustrated HP & the Sorcerer's stone (I think it's the American version, which kinda annoys me a little - I wanted the British version, but I didn't actually check, since someone else ordered it for me. I do have the British in a pocket, non-illustrated version, though) - and that book is giant, so I can't hold it up for more than a minute at a time. So I'm using all the tricks in the book to not tire my arms too much (pun intended).

I got the second illustrated book (Chamber of Secrets, to you non-Potterheads out there) for Christmas, so yet another reason to re-read the first two books, even if I've probably read them some 14-16 times already...
Page 1 of 2