Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Apr 2011 at 12:30 PM
Default 6 click foundation; stairs won't place
I've built a house with a 6 click foundation. I tried placing stairs, but the game wanted them to remain in the 4 group category. The stairs would indent the ground to accomodate 8 click stairs.

I then figured placing floor tiles would solidify them to 6, and I turned the cheat off and now the stairs won't place at all. They're just red everywhere there's a floor tile on the ground.

I've exited and reentered the lot to see if that had some bearing on things. I know it's possible as EA has a premade estate in Bridgeport that has a 6 click foundation with proper stairs. I'm at a loss how these new build mechanics work...not very logical it seems.

Does anyone know WTH is going on and how to resolve it? Thanks.
Advertisement
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Apr 2011 at 3:33 PM
Only thing I can think of is that your foundation is not exactly 6 clicks high. It's really a hard task to make exact heights with clicks in TS3.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Apr 2011 at 5:41 PM
Yup, you're right. It's probably more like 7.927590090111...add infinitum. Is there any way to regulate clicks to the desired height?
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#4 Old 2nd Apr 2011 at 6:37 AM
I think HystericalParoxysm once made a post about how to adjust click heights by using a xbox controller, or similar.. You could do some searching if you can find that post. Other than that, I'm sorry, no idea :/
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Apr 2011 at 7:29 PM
Thanks.
dodgy builder
#6 Old 3rd Apr 2011 at 10:50 AM
I think the frieze is 6 clicks, why don't you use that instead

Sorry the cheat "placefriezes on" and then place a foundation if you can fix it that way. A frieze won't settle on the ground, but you might be able to get it right with some trial and error.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Apr 2011 at 2:53 PM
For some reason that cheat just wonks the game terribly. I just don't like using it. That and that would make it a 10 click height; foundation + frieze. That's way too high, but thanks.
Scholar
#8 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 2:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ejnarts1
That and that would make it a 10 click height; foundation + frieze. That's way too high, but thanks.

i think what they mean to say is enter the cheat and just place the freize like a foundation, so you have the 6 click high base as the foundaton, and NOT on top of the default foundaton. I do this somtimes, it gives a nice look.
dodgy builder
#9 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 6:06 PM
Yes, just use it as a measurement and make the rest with cfe. It's just to get the 6 clicks somehow.
Instructor
#10 Old 6th Apr 2011 at 3:43 PM Last edited by cutsocks : 6th Apr 2011 at 8:18 PM.
Okay, I played around with this a bit, and the easiest way I could do it was with CFE.

First, place a 6 step stairs down, then a 4 step stairs down from there.

Delete stairs, build a tiny room at the lowest level, give roof tile.

CFE, and level the top of that room to your foundation.

And that SHOULD give you a six click foundation.

[BTW, clicking is SO terrible.]

Edit: Reworded somethings to make it clearer.
dodgy builder
#11 Old 7th Apr 2011 at 10:14 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 7th Apr 2011 at 11:15 AM.
hm, I have troubles putting down a 6 click stairs anywhere. It could be an update of couse, or perhaps I haven't tried just that combination for some reason. I don't know.

Except on a frieze of cause.

I made it work by digging 4 clicks down with stairs, put a foundation in the hole. Put a 6 click frieze on top and then lower a wall to that hight. Then I can use my eyesight to get the right hight. Finally I can make a foundation and raise it to the hight of the wall.

Made a tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMQet6_sTUw
Instructor
#12 Old 7th Apr 2011 at 12:44 PM Last edited by cutsocks : 7th Apr 2011 at 1:05 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
hm, I have troubles putting down a 6 click stairs anywhere. It could be an update of couse, or perhaps I haven't tried just that combination for some reason. I don't know.

Huh, that's strange. I have no problem putting six, four and even one click/step stairs into the ground. Hrm.

That being said, with the correct number of one click steps into the ground, I think one could make a one click foundation, which would be kinda cool.

EDIT: Looks like you CANNOT make a foundation any lower than 4 clicks, or regular walls for that matter. Bummer.
dodgy builder
#13 Old 7th Apr 2011 at 3:09 PM
Putting them down from ground level always makes them 4 steps. I have been able to get 8 steps though, that's only if the ground is very steep of cause.
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#14 Old 7th Apr 2011 at 3:52 PM
You need to click to place the top of the stairs and then pull to the desired length, then release the mouse button.
dodgy builder
#15 Old 7th Apr 2011 at 10:23 PM
Thank you Armiel, I learn something new every day. lol