Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#101 Old 4th Dec 2017 at 12:59 AM
He looks wonderful....
Advertisement
Inventor
#102 Old 4th Dec 2017 at 9:41 AM
This sim looks stunning! I've recently played a little TS2 and I've forgotten how difficult it is to sculpt in this game..
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#103 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 10:00 AM Last edited by billielith : 23rd Dec 2017 at 7:54 AM.
I'm Back in Black!

malfoya and Red Sonja thanks a lot!

I started working on Tywin's outfit again.
As for his armor, I talked about giving up previously, because it can't be made in a small time, and noob-mesher-me isn't sure I can make it properly. Lots of Lannister details. It would be worth making though - what moment is more glorious than Tywin getting honored in the throne room after saving the day at Blackwater Bay? I'll upload Tywin around Christmas and then I'll try making his armor later on. If it goes well, I'll post updates here for that.

Tywin's outfit
I am trying to improve the shape around the neck because Tywin's neck (real life) looks very short with his outfit and on my sim it looked too long. Here's where I am at, it is not perfect yet, I am open to your suggestions.

I tried to raise the area around his neck to come to something similar to Berg's outfit . On my image, there's a small thumbnail of Tywin's face where he has the same outfit put on Berg's mesh.
I think his neck looks a little shorter with my today's update than with the October version, but I am not entirely satisfied with how it turned out.

I cannot simply put the two meshes I used together (Tig's and Berg's) because 1) I am only a noob mesher, 2) I'd like to upload Tywin for Xmas, which is in a few days, and 3) the two meshes are too different for me to be able to join them together correctly in so little time, I tried before but Tywin looked as if he had been sliced in the middle (see post #95 of this thread). And I cannot simply use Berg's mesh because the bottom is too different from what Tywin is wearing.

The shape of his neck in my today update is not quite identical to the neck in Berg's mesh, because Berg's mesh has a thickness around the neck part which I was not able to recreate. Plus the texture of the neck looks a bit weird, too pink. Not sure how I can change that to look more natural, maybe hide the 'skin' section by raising the clothing texture?

What do you think?

Screenshots

I know I can't do it, but I'm still going to do it. - M. C. Escher
just a girl
#104 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 1:10 PM
Can you paint over the pinkish part? It might take some UV-map editing, I suppose (I don't know, how you go about clothing meshes, really).
Updated version looks sloppy/glitchy/unfinished. With amount of work you've put into this project, you just don't deserve to let this thing ruin the impression. Am I saying this right? I mean well.
Unless you fix it, I'd say - October for the win.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#105 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 1:51 PM
Hi again Lamare, thanks for chiming in.

It is indeed unfinished. Do not look at the texture too much, that will be reworked, I only edited the shape of the neck area. I will try something else and post an update.

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#106 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 3:03 PM
Update

I tried giving him a black turtleneck. They had to wear something like that underneath their chainmails in those ancient times, no? To protect the skin. What do you think?

Screenshots

Instructor
#107 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 10:34 PM
Big thumbs up for the turtleneck -- it really helps!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#108 Old 21st Dec 2017 at 1:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Liz
Big thumbs up for the turtleneck -- it really helps!

Thank you so much! You are really kind.
I am not completely happy with the collar area of the vest, it is too blurry and mixed with the turtleneck, I'll adjust that soon.

Today I worked on Tywin's hair a little. Here's the latest version of where I am at with both the outfit and the hair, tell me what you think - if you see anything that needs edits, thanks for saying it. You all helped me a great deal with the improvement of this, and we can continue.

Here's the new pictures for the day :

The hair is still a work-in-progress. The texture is not mine, and still needs adjustments, I've been mainly working on the shape of the hair mesh today. I am not entirely satisfied with it, it's a bit too puffy on the sides, but I think it is getting there.

Look at the shape. Is it getting closer to the real thing? What do you think?

Screenshots

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#109 Old 22nd Dec 2017 at 6:28 AM
Hi again, update

Collar, hair mesh and hair texture have been reworked. Do you think this is it, folks?
I feel like this time, this might be it, but maybe I am missing one last detail?

Tomorrow I'll begin to prepare my post for the upload, but there's still room for suggestions if there's still something that needs fine-tuning. If someone sees something that still needs work, please speak up!

Screenshots

Field Researcher
#110 Old 22nd Dec 2017 at 7:57 AM
He looks great! One thing I would suggest is that the base of his nose be a bit narrower and his nose not so "full" since his nose it quite boney.
There are some pretty good nose sliders here: http://crispsandkerosene.tumblr.com...ble-in-both-cas

Also I noticed the actor's nose is slightly crooked, so you could try some of the asymmetry sliders here: http://memento-sims.tumblr.com/post...or-a-good-while
Of course if you don't want to bother with installing the sliders he looks very close!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#111 Old 22nd Dec 2017 at 12:48 PM
Hi Zena-Dew-Drop, thanks for chiming in.

Thank you for your kind compliments, it's very encouraging.
I also like it when a suggestion comes with a solution, even more with two. I am downloading these sliders immediately. I wish I had known the asymmetry ones earlier, they would have been useful for my Alice Cooper sim, his eyes are asymmetrical.

I'll come back with an update very soon.

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#112 Old 22nd Dec 2017 at 1:14 PM
Zena, you are fantastic!
I am so glad you came here to tell me about those sliders. They will change my life as a sim-maker, and make the impossible possible (nearly), lol.

The result on my Tywin is amazing, see for yourself.
Screenshots

Field Researcher
#113 Old 22nd Dec 2017 at 3:45 PM Last edited by Zena-Dew-Drop : 22nd Dec 2017 at 6:29 PM.
Oh wow he looks perfect! I'm so glad I could help

You can find all the sliders released for TS2 here for future sim making.

EDIT: I just went back and read through all the posts up until this point, and there was quite a lot about making his face wider, so for that I can recommend these:
- The first slider in this set will be able to widen his entire face, including moving his facial features outwards.
- The first slider in this set will be able to widen his entire face without touching his facial features.
Instructor
#114 Old 22nd Dec 2017 at 4:44 PM
Wow. That was just what was needed. We'll be playing this sim soon, yes?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#115 Old 22nd Dec 2017 at 9:26 PM Last edited by billielith : 22nd Dec 2017 at 11:21 PM.
Thanks again Zena, I was just thinking his face still needs some width. I'll try those too! I'll come back with an update.

Thanks d4RE, I am hoping to upload him by Christmas.

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#116 Old 22nd Dec 2017 at 11:03 PM Last edited by billielith : 22nd Dec 2017 at 11:15 PM.
Update! Played with the face sliders along with some eye sliders. The result is interesting! What do you think?

Screenshots

Instructor
#117 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 3:25 AM
So many improvements, can't even see them all individually, but this teeny thing plus that bitty bit, and he's looking fantastic. The facial sliders @Zena-Dew-Drop linked to have clearly been put to good use! I think your work with the hair mesh has been huge -- it's so much closer to actual, and the long forehead from a while back is back in proportion. Eighteen thumbs up for the slightly crooked nose sliders and the proportional facial widening.

If there were one omg-that's-so-picky-and-I'm-ready-to-be-DONE-now thing I would add, I still kinda want to see a full face makeup (or blush) of a few freckles for him. I know the hairline mark wasn't feasible, and I'm not even trying to ask for exact "this freckle is right here" stuff -- I just feel like with the actor's rosy cheeks and freckles, some touch of that might help. He's not lacking without. I just think it'd be a bonus.

Also, the teeny eye tweaking? Perfect. ^_^
Instructor
#118 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 3:38 AM Last edited by hedgekat : 23rd Dec 2017 at 3:55 AM.
For the face and head I'd say you have it 99.9% perfect. Best celebrity sim I have ever seen. Two things I noticed on the update before you got the two sets of sliders. (Just read those posts now.) On Dance's profile view the side of his nostril curves up just a tiny bit, showing the septum. And the very tip of his nose is blunted more than the Sims's. The blunter nosetip is noticeable in face forward view also. The only other thing I have noticed while reading through the posts is body size. Dance appears to be fairly heavyset. I wonder if there are sliders for the body. But whether you make any further changes or not, I'm downloading him as soon as you post him. Oh, yes, I love the way you got the curve in the bridge of his nose. I wonder if he's ever had it broken.

Just read @Liz's comment about the freckles. I put the magnifier on and couldn't find any freckles on cheeks or nose. The spots on his forehead I think are various kinds of age spots which would be expected at his age. And doesn't he look great for his age. Maybe better than he did when younger. Like Sean Connery.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#119 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 7:44 AM Last edited by billielith : 23rd Dec 2017 at 8:58 AM.
Hi Liz, welcome back,
Hi hedgecat, welcome

Thanks to you two for chiming in, and thanks for your kind compliments. :lovestruc
I hope Mr. Dance will be happy when I tell him about his sim. I will find him online somewhere and I'll tell him. With celebrity sims I always tell the celebrity about it, so they know there's a virtual mini-them in our games. They don't always care, though, but Mr. Caya, Mr Sinise and Mr. Quinn were kind enough to give me personal feedback about it, so maybe Mr Dance will.

Liz,
Freckles, yes. I had made freckles before, just for him, but someone told me the mapping was incorrect, some of them were missing and it just looks silly. There isn't any very clear picture of those freckles online, just like it was extremely difficult to map Mr. Dance's 'bald spot' - I think he likes to maintain an 'ideal' image of himself, without age spots or bald spots, lol - and I had to improvise. I have made a picture with the freckles on, and what I could do is upload my freckles side by side with the sim on my post and let people choose if they want them or not. What about that?

hedgekat
Nose - I tried to go for what you said, but keep in mind that even with the new sliders it is a very delicate balance to get to closeness without deforming other parts. It's still Sims 2. Plus I think the pictures you refer to have been taken from a slight angle, he often tilts his head when talking to (at) other people.
Body - I've seen other pictures of Mr. Dance out there and he is not as heavy as the GOT outfits make him. He's a rather thin/fit man, although very tall. I believe this is another case where he wants to appear better than he really is. Maybe he views himself as too thin and demanded that the outfits made Tywin ... more imposing.

There's the picture with the nose edit, with and without the 'freckles' on.

Mr. Dance is a thin man. But he is indeed gorgeous, and so, so classy!
Screenshots

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#120 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 8:46 AM
I'm going to give this thread a few more hours, in case someone spots something important that still needs fine-tuning.

Thanks to everyone for your help, your participation has been super precious! My Tywin is going to be awesome thanks to all of us!

But right now I am preparing a temporary lot for pictures, simulating Tywin's War Council at Harrenhal - where Tywin had Arya Stark as a cupbearer without knowing, and told one of his bannermen 'My cupbearer can read better than you!', lol. Once I am done preparing the lot, I'll come here and tell you guys, then I'll start taking my pictures of Tywin for the upload.

If you have some last-minute opinions, ideas or suggestions, now is the time to speak up!

Instructor
#121 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 11:53 AM
I don't think you need the freckles after all. He looks awesome. Wonderful job!! ^_^
Field Researcher
#122 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 4:40 PM
I think including the freckles as an optional addition is a good idea. I quite like them as a completer to his entire face.
Instructor
#123 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 6:32 PM
The freckles/age spots look great. Didn't think it would be possible to get them so high on the forehead. Very well done. And every time I look at the sim I am more and more impressed with his eyes. It's like you transplanted his actual eyes into the sims. They are so very real. You have done an amazing job.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#124 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 10:29 PM
Thank you all. You're all awesome. I believe I am done with Tywin for the time being, and will start working on my pictures from this point. I will get back to this thread and add to it, if I decide to make his Lannister armor.

Thank you again, you have been super kind, and patient - this sim took me a while, lol - and your help has been beyond precious! You will all be mentioned in the credits of the post.

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#125 Old 24th Dec 2017 at 2:51 PM Last edited by billielith : 27th May 2019 at 4:29 AM.
Tywin is up!

Page 5 of 5