Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

2018 MTS Calendar Contest - posted on 12th Nov 2017 at 8:48 PM
Replies: 1431 (Who?), Viewed: 70167 times.
Page 58 of 58
Top Secret Researcher
#1426 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 6:25 PM
We're playing Secret Santa this year to two small children. Even though my days for buying for this age ended a long time ago, I'm so bad about it. I go in the store and want one of everything. I'm going to have to figure out what I want before shopping day.

There's no rest for the wicked
Theorist
#1427 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 9:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
We're playing Secret Santa this year to two small children. Even though my days for buying for this age ended a long time ago, I'm so bad about it. I go in the store and want one of everything. I'm going to have to figure out what I want before shopping day.

Prior to my father's disillusionment with the church, I was employed in such secret Santa activity with my parents of not only buying and wrapping gift for one of the families in need, but also delivery of gifts for another. This was one tradition that went on for about 3 years until my father became upset with how to interface with God.

But yes, I have participated in Secret Santa in the past. As much as I despise the pomp and circumstances (I rather be straight up honest with people), I helped my parents in charity events.

http://richinc.boards.net <--- My forum. Currently has a general talk board and a cooking board. Check back for more boards... please don't hurt me.
Top Secret Researcher
#1428 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAQUEEN
Prior to my father's disillusionment with the church, I was employed in such secret Santa activity with my parents of not only buying and wrapping gift for one of the families in need, but also delivery of gifts for another. This was one tradition that went on for about 3 years until my father became upset with how to interface with God.

But yes, I have participated in Secret Santa in the past. As much as I despise the pomp and circumstances (I rather be straight up honest with people), I helped my parents in charity events.

We don't mind doing it. I've put gift boxes together for people I know in the past and never got as much of a thank you. Instead they spent their time arguing about who was going to get what the following year. Needless to say, the 'following year' never came as I stopped doing it. The donations in this case are local and if I can make a 1-year old happy ( this year it will be (2) 1-year olds) so be it. A couple pairs of slippers and 2 teddy bears are not a budget breaker.

Twice a year we also participate in the local food drive that feeds elderly people for the most part.

Theorist
#1429 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 6:23 PM
Mostly still calculating cost for my parents' gifts.

Now...I usually give my parents the same amount in terms of costs. My mother asked for (a) physical gift(s) and my father wanted a gift card to Amazon.

Keep in mind I only have so much to work with.

Did any remember me getting a Nintendo Switch for my birthday? Well, you'd also know that, due to the situation and cost, I am SOOL because I had to waive major gifts for Christmas 2017 and receive small gifts to open Christmas morning. Our observed Hanukkah means small gifts too, but kicking off the 12 Days of Christmas and leading into Epiphany means it's pointless to have Advent calendars because I spend 5 weeks of small gifts.

Aside from the traditions, the fact my mother tracked absences of gifts alarms me. Knowing her, she probably wants cat humor books and a plush of Grumpy Cat

I'm buying her gifts first. Then I will check the price and buy his gift in the total amount.

However, I may have to drop things out of mom's load if it becomes too much and equalized dad's card.

HOW DO YOU GUYS DO THIS EVERY YEAR?

Then again, my mother had considered buying a 5 pound gummy bear just to see me bite its head off.

The holidays can be a nightmare for me because gift giving is my weakest suit.

http://richinc.boards.net <--- My forum. Currently has a general talk board and a cooking board. Check back for more boards... please don't hurt me.
Top Secret Researcher
#1430 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 7:05 PM
Would it be acceptable to be a hermit until after the new year?

We did our usual Thursday thing. What should have taken about a hour and half took 3 hours because all the stupid people were out in force. They make my frickin' head hurt.

Now I get to toss a chili in the slow cooker, then rot in front of my game for a few hours. It has been a few weeks, the house is clean and the pets are taken care of. I'm not doing anything remotely constructive for the rest of the day.

Top Secret Researcher
#1431 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 3:49 PM
You know it is going to be a good weekend when your spouse ( husband in my case) and son are at each others throats first thing over if the dog was brought out or not. Oy! From there it turned into whether The Boy should be on the computer in the morning, ect... Hubby should take his own advice. I threatened to take the sledge hammer to his X-Box last weekend as he was making everything far more complicated than it had to be.

Hubby is on vacation next week. If the two of them think they are going to spend a entire week fighting, they've got another thing coming. I stayed out of it this morning, but that will not always be the case if they continue.

Theorist
#1432 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 4:46 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : Yesterday at 5:02 AM.
Well, I found out my father had a $25 limit for his and mom's gift. Well, that cuts $183 out of the budget.

I have been known to overdo things and I am actually glad I can live on this decision.

Also, if I end up in Norway, remind me to avoid the raspeballer dish. Someone told me of their experience and the taste was extremely salty that it hurt her gums. (Her personal extreme was eat food spicy enough to make people used to Indian food ask her to dial it down)

Personally, I have a thing for sour candy that was strong enough to reduce you to tears.

In retrospect, maybe not knowing of raspeballer would be better.

We're expecting a relative to come by today to pick up her medical papers.

I also realized I have a ton of movies, seasons of long-running shows and complete series set for shows 7 seasons or shorter in my wishlist. Personally, if this turns into that Twilight Zone episode where I have time to watch, but my distance glasses break... it's not a pretty picture when I scream nonsense of kicking the universe in the nuts.

I recently decided to buy more silicone molds.

In my cart.

I have 3 trays that are Sailor Moon related. 1 of Luna's face, 1 of the front bow and 1 of the Dream Arc brooch.

I have a fishbone mold that reminds me of the Fish Heads song.

A tray of ice octopi.

3 of various Angels from Neon Genesis Evangelion. As zany as I might seem, in my teen years, when I was in junior high, I used to watch Evangelion and for an odd reason, it spoke to me and Shinji was actually that scared, trapped personality I hid from my peers. I also dealt with a certainty so obtuse kind of feeling I couldn't shake until I grew older

P.S. The late Robin Williams, not only was a fan of Evangelion, but also the Legend of Zelda and named his daughter after the eponymous royal.

Other items include

Today was off in some regards, but I at least discussed major issues affecting local farmland with my aunt Mary.

Page 58 of 58