Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Movie Night #3 - posted on Yesterday at 10:54 PM
Replies: 749 (Who?), Viewed: 43123 times.
Page 30 of 30
Inventor
#726 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 9:34 PM
Default Shaking the dust off....
I was checking out some of the displayed books in the library, and thumbing through "God's Doodle: The Life and Times of the Penis" by Tom Hickman (because there are some titles you just have to pick up when you see them), when I saw a bit about nicknames/euphemisms on page ten.

"...But interestingly Dick, although as old as any of these, only joined the penile fraternity in the late nineteenth century and then not because it rhymed with prick, but as a shortened form of dickory dock, cockney rhyming slang for cock."

....Wait a minute..."Hickory Dickory Dock"...and I remember from too many weird History Channel bits and odd Cracked articles that certain..."personal items"... used to be made out of stuff like polished wood....WAS THAT OLD NURSERY RHYME SECRETLY ABOUT DILDOS THIS ENTIRE TIME?!
Mad Poster
#727 Old 6th Aug 2017 at 3:13 PM Last edited by smorbie1 : 6th Aug 2017 at 5:29 PM.
Best I can figure, sometime last week someone put a curse on me...

The package I was expecting on Tuesday didn't get delivered. I kept waiting for it, but, no. I was checking the website every five minutes (OCD - I timed it), and suddenly there was a notice from Fedex that it had been "left at the door because there was no notation that a signature was needed". I live in an apartment, so I don't like things left at the door. I raced to retrieve it, but, no package. I called Walmart and they didn't care. They refunded my money, but since the package had already been delayed, that meant my sweet kitties didn't get their favorite food for the rest of the week, because my son borrowed my car two months ago and still has it. He has two pretty new vehicles, but somehow they keep breaking down, and he and his girlfriend need them for work, so...He comes to take me to the grocery store twice a month, and I have to take cabs to get to my many doctor appointment. Boy, that was a long sentence. If I cared more I would go back and edit it. But, there's too much left to tell.

So, the next day, I called Fedex and was told:
1. The package would not have been left because that was against policy. I had to show her it was.
2. The package was not left, but was returned - it was at the distribution center. I had ordered dish washing detergent, and it had leaked. This meant the guy couldn't leave it. Well, then in that case, he shouldn't have noted that he DID leave it, and he shouldn't have broken the rules that state he is not allowed to leave boxes at apartments. No matter how many times I run over that in my head I can't make it make sense. The woman I was dealing with saw the package. They opened it there to make sure it wasn't a bomb, and the contents were ruined by the incorrect packaging of the dish washing liquid (Thanks, Walmart!). Okay, I get that. She said the driver put the package down and as he was turning away realized it was leaking. Okay. But, he still broke the rules because he didn't knock at the door, and at some point he made that gleeful notation that he didn't have to have a signature - which is against policy. So, I just don't know that I got the whole story there.

Then my son came on Friday to take me to Walmart, the only place in this Godforsaken town (the armpit of the universe) that has a decent assortment of groceries. Of course here in Hooterville, the managers at Walmart figure it makes sense to only stock their shelves once a week, on you guessed it, Friday afternoon around 5 o'clock. That means:
1. shelf after shelf after shelf of NOTHING. I don't mean no assortment of items. I mean empty shelves. After a lot of searching I finally found some cat food, and it's a kind they do love, but no treats. No bleach, no cereal, no pastries.
2. People standing in front of everything. Many people get paid on Friday and come to the store when they leave work. This is the only time I can go to the store because of my son's job (if I had my car I could go anytime, but that's an earlier rant). This means that the entire population of the two-towns was in Walmart almost literally fighting over the one box of cereal they had. 17000 souls in one store. There were people loitering everywhere. There was no aisle so devoid of content that people weren't doing extensive CSI searching in case the item was invisible and no aisle who's usual display of items was so uninteresting that thousands of people weren't congregating there. I haven't seen it that bad since last year's hurricane when a small skirmish did develop over the last case of bottled water.
3. There was even more congestion in the isles because the stockers were trying to fill shelves that had gone unfilled for a week. So they were there with their big carts, but they couldn't get to the isle because of the CSI work being done. I saw more than one shake his head and disgust and haul his giant cart out of the isle to stand in the middle of the store in order to make that area more congested.

So, that was Friday.

Saturday morning, very early, I was up with insomnia. No internet. That does not seem to be unusual for Comcast. When it hadn't been restored by midmorning, I called. After the first person couldn't help, I was directed to a guy I won't name, but there's a reason I'm on a first-name basis with him. Internet is down a lot. After an interminable time he was able to get it working for me.

Went to play my game only to discover that my mouse had decided to die. But it wasn't the kind of death where you know it's dead. I use an external mouse and this is the kind of death where it doesn't want to grab and move things, but for every time you click it, it clicks three or four. Fun stuff that. I can deal with playing the Sims like that. Cooking Fever is a different story.

Okay, so I just pull my laptop into my lap to use the built in mouse. Don't like it, really, but I can deal for awhile. Turn on my Apple tv. And, I think you know where I'm going here. The light is on, but there's no one home. I plugged and unplugged from the unit and then from the tv. Nothing. No menu, no guide, no settings, just a black screen.

Then this morning I was asking where to find some cc. A sweet helpful person posted the site where she had JUST gotten them. And the site is now gone.

In disgust I decide the only action I can take is to order a new mouse. Hmmm..that's right, Amazon offers one-day shipping. So, there I go. I select a mouse that will be here by August 7. But, once I placed the order, the delivery date is August 9. Research has indicated that the numbers 7 and 9 often denote different days. Like, if the 7th is Monday, the ninth is Wednesday. That's not exactly next-day delivery now, is it Amazon?

I'm going back to bed. Wake me when it's 2018.

"Death cannot stop true love; all it can do is delay it for awhile."
Theorist
#728 Old 6th Aug 2017 at 4:48 PM
Quote:
Then my son came on Friday to take me to Walmart, the only place in this Godforsaken town (the armpit of the universe)

At least you have something in your town. Here's nothing, literally. Not even a goddamn cigarette dispenser.

German humor isn't a laughing matter.

#729 Old 6th Aug 2017 at 5:25 PM
The weird thing is we actually have one of those. And a couple of vape stores. I guess people smoke but they don't eat around here.

I used to live in a town so tiny we only had one of those rural groceries stores. I can't remember the name. It's a chain, though, and they cater only to teeny weeny places. We also had a combination lawn mower parts and gift shop. It was....interesting. If it weren't for the ocean, I would prefer to still be there. At least I knew where I was and didn't expect there to be anything nearby. This is just maddening.

My dentist said he knew the town I was talking about and he looked at a practice there. But it was in the middle of a, I think he said, cotton field. I'm like, yeah, and what's your point? Did you see the rest of the place? It's all in the middle of some crop field.

Theorist
#730 Old 6th Aug 2017 at 5:37 PM
There's a small general store chain nestled in the other villages here. But this place somehow managed to be at least 5km from any store. All we have is a street and ofcourse houses. Yup.
Oh we have stench too.

#731 Old 6th Aug 2017 at 10:36 PM
It smells fine here. But the other town often smelled of fertilizer and the other chemicals (to which I am, of course, allergic) that they spray on the crops. there was, in general, an earthy smell there that you don't have in a lot of places. I liked it. It reminded me of my backyard when I was growing up.

Theorist
#732 Old 6th Aug 2017 at 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smorbie1
It smells fine here. But the other town often smelled of fertilizer and the other chemicals (to which I am, of course, allergic) that they spray on the crops. there was, in general, an earthy smell there that you don't have in a lot of places. I liked it. It reminded me of my backyard when I was growing up.

Fertilizer is the most common smell here. Earthy would be way better

#733 Old 8th Aug 2017 at 1:11 PM
Am I the only one who didn't know sultanas and raisins are dried grapes?

My downloads archived at Wordpress.
My photo blog at Tumblr.
Scholar
#734 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 5:52 AM
Eevee thinks she's in a photo shoot for the packaging of this water bowl.

My photo blog at Tumblr.
Top Secret Researcher
#735 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 10:18 AM
Gotta love waking up in the morning and start eating Ginger Nut Biscuits.
One of them foods that even if you don't get the branded version the shops own version taste just as amazing.

Life is like a rollercoaster. It has its ups and downs. But it's your choice to scream or enjoy the ride
Cottage feedback- would be greatly appreciated
Simple Holiday House - great for parties and relaxation
Scholar
#736 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 4:33 PM
So I found ot the specific date that M&S will be closing its doors here (once again). This means I need to stock up on that lemon meringue pie of theirs as well as the bourbons and gingersnaps, cos food in this country is mildly disappointing. They've bought so much joy to me in the last three years. Its both sad and exciting: I get to eat as much if them as possible in a short time span (i.e. Instant happiness) but ithere isn't much time left.

Haha, I'm obviously alive (taa daa!) but I've definitely missed being here. So hello *waves*
#737 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 10:50 PM
Hey I was actually banned for like a week, not just bunned

This account doesn't exist
Mad Poster
#738 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 1:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordecai and Rigby
Hey I was actually banned for like a week, not just bunned

Whatever you did, did you do it on purpose? Like, did you know it was a bannable offense?

The reason I ask is that I'm a member of another site, not for sims. It's a tv site and I've always been happy there. Then I listened to a podcast and I HATED the person who lead the discussion on it. She was HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

The topic was a discussion of a television show here in the States that is focusing on a famous murder that happened about 15 years ago. It was right before Christmas and it was a pretty, young married woman. Her husband did her in, of course, and threw her body in a bay. The country was transfixed. Interest was high. This is the reason there's been a documentary series about it.

The woman leading the podcast started out by insulting ANYONE who remember the case by saying anyone who had ever paid attention to it was just a loser who enjoyed the tragedy of a murder (bear in mind that the show is about televised true crime, so she pretty much insulted her entire audience). As if that wasn't bad enough? She kept telling the us that she had been an English major. However, apparently she dropped out before she learned that sentences don't end in upspeak (where the voice goes up at the end as if the speaker is asking a question). So, EVERY SINGLE THING SHE SAID ended up sounding like a question? Which made her sound stupid? Which made me hate her? Which made me want to tell her how annoying it is?

So, the next day, I went on the thread for that show, and I said that her constant use of upspeak was annoying. That seems pretty innocuous, doesn't it?

The next time I logged on, my screen was all red, and I was greeted with the announcement that I had received a WARNING! WHICH WILL NEVER EXPIRE! Apparently, I was rude to her because people who run the podcasts are considered posters to the forum. I just love to get in trouble for something you didn't know was wrong.

Scholar
#739 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 2:14 PM
Wow, that woman definitely has no chill
Mad Poster
#740 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 3:37 PM
I know, right? At least explain the rules before you mete out the punishment for breaking one. The number one rule of a dysfunctional group is when the members don't know how to stay out of trouble.

I have never been a member of a television website where we were not allowed to comment about the contributors. Seems a bit imperious, but whatever. Now that I know the rules, I will certainly abide by them. I'll start by just not listening to their podcasts anymore. I'm sure I can find another one that deals with true crime.

Although I'm taking a bit of a break now, I will eventually return to their website because it is a very good one. I just don't really watch a lot of tv and there's nothing on now that I normally follow, except Leah Remini's show about scientology.

#741 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 1:55 AM
I (jokingly) posted Nazi symbolism. The mods didn't like that. I get it, it's offensive, I'm not gonna argue over the ban.

Anyway that sounds pretty stupid. Sucks that happened smorbie :/

Mad Poster
#742 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 12:51 PM
You know, there's a lot of stuff posted on this site at which I take offense, but Nazi symbols wouldn't do it if there's a context for it.

But, considering my recent experience, what do I know? Anyway, I'm glad you're back.

#743 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 9:04 PM
Thanks.

Scholar
#744 Old 5th Sep 2017 at 3:16 AM
Anyone else found themselves searching for their own post online to get answers to a question you once asked but then answered yourself? Your past self can actually help your future self if you leave the information somewhere.

Advice: if you make a thread asking for help, remember to post your conclusion of what worked and what didn't; your future self may need it again and will kick your past self for swanning off without updating the thread.

My photo blog at Tumblr.
Alchemist
#745 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 4:21 AM
Sigh... How to go about dramatically reducing the role social media plays in your life, without giving it up entirely...

Anyone?

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#746 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 11:21 AM
Turn off notifications from FB, Twitter, and the like. Make an agreement with yourself about which times of day you will check your facebook, twitter, myspace, etc... and then set a timer for how long you are on it. Personally, I like my facebook and don't feel it drags me down because I'm connected to interesting people who post articles and songs and things I really like and learn from. But, I also miss a lot because I'm not on it very often - just a couple times a day. I've also learned to make good use of the tools provided such as "turn off notifications for this post" and "unfollow" for people whose posts rarely add anything to my day, but who I still wish to have a connection with.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Scholar
#747 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerDeTerre
Turn off notifications from FB, Twitter, and the like. Make an agreement with yourself about which times of day you will check your facebook, twitter, myspace, etc... and then set a timer for how long you are on it.

Shouldn't be hard, I don't use any of them to begin with.

My photo blog at Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#748 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 2:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblebeam
Shouldn't be hard, I don't use any of them to begin with.
That does make it much easier, except that isn't what Zarathustra asked. Zarathustra asked how to reduce the use of social media without giving it up entirely.

I do know people like you, though! Some of them do not own cell phones, either. It's a different lifestyle and not one I would criticize.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#749 Old 10th Oct 2017 at 12:57 AM
Ya'll are very interesting. Someone seems to "disagree" with everyone/everything. So I just HAD to check "agree". NOTE" message pops up on this thread "1 people viewing"...duh?

Namaste
Mad Poster
#750 Old 10th Oct 2017 at 12:34 PM
Yeah, we have a troll. Don't feed him.

Sometimes, I use disagrees to give hugs, just to be perverse. But, I always tell the person that's what my disagree is for.

Page 30 of 30