Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Sneak Preview of Project CRUMB - posted on Yesterday at 7:32 PM
Replies: 724 (Who?), Viewed: 35852 times.
Page 29 of 29
Alchemist
Original Poster
#701 Old 22nd Jul 2016 at 2:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor86
Regardless which of both parties, don't uou need to be de facto a member of any church, preferably a Christian? Not necessarily being actively religious. I rather see a Muslim become US president than an atheist.

While I myself would enjoy seeing Muslim U.S. president, the chance of that happening is unlikely. And with all this Islam and Arab hate in U.S. right now, it would only cause more violence and hate. Not because president themselves is follower of Islam, but rather because bigots (a big section of this, from my own person experience, being of Christians and Atheists) will not be able to accept it.

However, this tension and violence with IS group would likely be reduce if open Sunni Muslim became president. So that is something positive to think about.

View my (WIP) Pinterest boards to find TS2 CC that fits Mediterranean, Middle East, and North African 'hoods of all Eras:
Cars | Historical | Misc | Build | Buy

If I am to carry a tool of death, then I must also carry a tool of life.
Theorist
#702 Old 22nd Jul 2016 at 3:42 AM
Muslims at least believe in a divine life, which is better than what we atheists do. According to Christians with extreme believes

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Theorist
#703 Old 22nd Jul 2016 at 3:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor86
Regardless which of both parties, don't uou need to be de facto a member of any church, preferably a Christian? Not necessarily being actively religious. I rather see a Muslim become US president than an atheist.

Hmm, I'm atheist, guns should be limited tot proper police and army people, don't care at all about ethnicity or sexual preferences (judging about is irrelevant and pathetic due to unchangeable) and big businesses should be relugated.

I'm not a Republican, am I? Although, in the American political way. In a king vs president I am a republican.

Yes, you do need to be a de facto member of any church, preferably a Judeo-Christian religion, to have any chance of being elected. US voters in general, even those who vote Democrat, are still too conservative to consider voting for anyone not of a Judeo-Christian faith. Google tells me there is only one person not of Judeo-Christian faith in the senate, Mazie Hirono, buddhist Democrat senator of Hawaii. Maybe it's no coincidence Hawaii is the happiest state in the country.
Why would you rather see a Muslim become US president than an atheist? I personally believe religion is the root of all that's wrong with the world and breeds dangerous philosophies, but that's just me.
No, you would not be anywhere near Republican in US politics. All of the views you've stated strongly align you with Democrat.

Resident wet blanket.
Theorist
#704 Old 22nd Jul 2016 at 9:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat
Yes, you do need to be a de facto member of any church, preferably a Judeo-Christian religion, to have any chance of being elected. US voters in general, even those who vote Democrat, are still too conservative to consider voting for anyone not of a Judeo-Christian faith. Google tells me there is only one person not of Judeo-Christian faith in the senate, Mazie Hirono, buddhist Democrat senator of Hawaii. Maybe it's no coincidence Hawaii is the happiest state in the country.
Why would you rather see a Muslim become US president than an atheist? I personally believe religion is the root of all that's wrong with the world and breeds dangerous philosophies, but that's just me.
No, you would not be anywhere near Republican in US politics. All of the views you've stated strongly align you with Democrat.

Not me, because I want to get rid of all religion far away from politics and education. No, I was talking about those conservative voters. Rather another believer than no believer. And the House of Representatives isn't really better. Two muslims, a few jews, some unknown/unspecified, but no single outted atheist.Almost the complete rest: Christian in some way.

Yes, as an American I would have voted Democrats (based on tests a clear victory), but I rather think I would better fit with another party. The main reason I prefer Democrats, is because Republicans are pure evil in anyway possible. and should be prevented in any political power

Alchemist
Original Poster
#705 Old 22nd Jul 2016 at 9:40 PM
I like to know exactly what part of my previous post people disagree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat
I personally believe religion is the root of all that's wrong with the world and breeds dangerous philosophies, but that's just me.

Religion itself not bad. It gives people hope and can help explain aspects of life that cannot be explained by science. You are letting your disfavor of Ibrahamic religions cloud your judgement of religion as whole.

View my (WIP) Pinterest boards to find TS2 CC that fits Mediterranean, Middle East, and North African 'hoods of all Eras:

Theorist
DELETED POST
22nd Jul 2016 at 9:42 PM
This message has been deleted by Viktor86.
Alchemist
DELETED POST
Original Poster
22nd Jul 2016 at 9:44 PM
This message has been deleted by HarVee.
Theorist
DELETED POST
22nd Jul 2016 at 11:23 PM
This message has been deleted by Viktor86.
Top Secret Researcher
#706 Old 23rd Jul 2016 at 12:44 AM
Religion really isn't the problem. It's more that people want excuses to do things and picking an unseeable scapegoat is a great way to rationalize actions. You want to discriminate against gay people because you think they're icky? Good news, your god also wants you to do that, so you don't have to be mildly uncomfortable by trying to be a good person.

But really, any excuse will work.
"I'm doing this for the good of the country!"
"I'm doing this for the good of my family!"
"I'm shooting my children because my husband is a bad person and needs to suffer!"
Religious excuses - like any other excuse - wouldn't be a problem if people didn't want to do those things anyway. This is especially true when their professed beliefs are directly opposed with their actions; if you truly believe that your religion tells you to love people, then you don't go against that by hating people unless you really want to. Getting rid of religion just means people will find some other force to blame all their dickery on. For instance, when I point out that the verses in the bible that seem to support homophobia are actually mistranslated, they immediately start talking about "nature" and "science" to back up their viewpoint (and then when I destroy those arguments, they typically proceed to back up their viewpoint via ad hominem). However, many people can get rid of their bigotry and still keep their faith, and I've also run across some bigoted atheists who use other excuses for their behavior.

Also, because this was brought up, the Abrahamic religious aren't the only ones that act that way. I've run across people from other religions who did the exact same thing. Because I'm an atheist, a couple of them apparently felt it was perfectly fine to involve me in rituals without my consent, pressure me to explain why I won't join theirs and get disturbed when I explain why I don't want to, and also call me a slut.

It all comes down to human nature. People aren't rational creatures; they're rationalizing creatures.

My MTS writing group, The Story Board
Theorist
#707 Old 25th Jul 2016 at 3:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarVee
Religion itself not bad. It gives people hope and can help explain aspects of life that cannot be explained by science. You are letting your disfavor of Ibrahamic religions cloud your judgement of religion as whole.

I'm not sure it's just Abrahamic religions that I take issue with. I don't disagree that religion brings people hope, and in general, can make people happier and feel less alone in day-to-day life. However, most religions teach that there exists a soul or spirit that lives on after death, and that there is an afterlife. It may be a very desirable mental crutch to use in dealing with mortality and loss, but I personally find it to be a very dangerous philosophy. Would people be so willing to volunteer to be suicide bombers, if they believed death would send them to oblivion, to nothingness? Would a religion even be worth fighting for, risking their lives for, and worth taking others' lives for, if an afterlife didn't exist as one of its very basic tenets? I think the entire principle of an afterlife breeds complacency when it comes to human life as well. Perhaps some people would believe that things like cancer research, stem cell research, heart disease research, or even building safer cars, is just not that important because whatever happens is the will of some god. When people don't believe that this life is our one and only life, I think it diminishes the value of human life in general.

Granted, there are religions out there that don't concern themselves with the existence or not of an afterlife, like Buddhism, but I think most of them do.

I also don't like when religion attempts to explain aspects of life that aren't explained by science. It's better just to not know things, than to make up stuff. We should learn how things work through research and experimentation, not through accepting some story that somebody made up a long time ago.

Resident wet blanket.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#708 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 2:18 AM
Religion cannot be proven but nor can it be dis proven. Therefor mindset that any form of divine presence and afterlife does not exist seems foreign concept to me. Perhaps maybe a bit myopic conclusion too.

Anyway, actual random bollocks - I got called "exotic" today. Not sure why though. Maybe it is the accent and my religious jewelry?

#709 Old 11th Aug 2016 at 3:20 PM
I've never really been religious. Not to offend anyone, but I just never saw the point of praying to a being whose presence was never proven. Of course, my mom says I've always been interested in how things work, and since religion can't explain everything (again, no offense), I looked to science in my attempt to understand the world around me.

Science can be pretty fascinating, really. I don't understand why more people aren't interested in it.

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me

Stories: 1 still working on #2
Theorist
#710 Old 11th Aug 2016 at 5:31 PM
Quote:
However, this tension and violence with IS group would likely be reduce if open Sunni Muslim became president. So that is something positive to think about.

With respect that I personally wouldn't have anything negative to say about a Sunni President (for the religious aspect, I could think they were a complete asshole or bad for the country for some reason), I have zero confidence that the various extremist groups out there really give a shit whether the American President is a devout follower of the Koran or not. Maybe it might make their message have to change some, but at its core these sorts of people are just violent people engaging in politics through violence - why they're doing so is mostly irrelevant, because they'd just pick another cause to engage in violence for. In this case religion is just the salve assholes put on to make themselves feel better about being assholes.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#711 Old 12th Aug 2016 at 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermook
In this case religion is just the salve assholes put on to make themselves feel better about being assholes.

Every person has something I suppose. I prefer good hit of Shisha and Alcohol to feel better about being asshole ... but I never claimed to be best religious follower.

Theorist
#712 Old 12th Aug 2016 at 4:59 PM
Quote:
Every person has something I suppose. I prefer good hit of Shisha and Alcohol to feel better about being asshole ... but I never claimed to be best religious follower.

Oh exactly. Tribes are evil sorts of things if they're not ruthlessly managed for maximum social order and civility, that's whether it's a religion, a government, political movement, art clique, or sports teams. No one should be the "best follower " of anything really. Just like I think everyone has a completely terrifying capacity for evil inside them in the right circumstances, most of us were raised with at least some notions of social and civil restraint. Absent the crowd, they don't run like that crowd.
Inventor
#713 Old 13th Aug 2016 at 6:43 PM
In lighter posts currently concerning religion (I thought that this would be random and out-of-place, wasn't expecting a politico-religious discussion to be going down here), I found out that there actually was a Phil in the Christian Bible. A little backstory here:

About a month ago I started a new job, which is basically just packing and shipping out online orders from internet companies (like Amazon, but it's not Amazon, just a lot of random smaller companies that use us to ship things), one of which is a company which provides things like those ribbon-shaped "X Awareness" car magnets and those rubber bangles that usually are also "awareness" bracelets. One of the ones I was packing last night was a religious-themed one with a quote credited to "Phil ___(bible number/chapter)," at which point it felt like a part of my brain went "....Wut?" and just shut down. I don't really have any feelings either way towards the name Phil, but for some reason the idea of there being a great Holy man named Phil just kind of was too much for me. Out of all the weird things I've heard about there being in the Bible (I'm not religious, nor was I raised religious, so it's not exactly like I've read the Bible cover to cover myself yet), for some reason there being a Holy Phil just made my brain go "Nope, nuh-uh, fuck this, I'm out."

On the upside, it turns out that Puppyland is now a thing (and located in Costa Rica). This definitely makes me happy, while also providing parents with something new to bribe the kids with.
Theorist
#714 Old 14th Aug 2016 at 12:43 AM
There was a Phillip, but the book to which the bracelet was referring is Phillipians, after the people of Phillipia.

"Death cannot stop true love; all it can do is delay it for awhile."
Mad Poster
#715 Old 15th Aug 2016 at 5:45 AM

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Steam ID: PadukSteam
Scholar
#716 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 4:13 AM
Hey guys. Does anyone here watch anime? If so, is Desert Punk any good?

"It's said war - war never changes. Men do, through the roads they walk. And this road - has reached its end" - Ulysses, Fallout New Vegas
If you love Fallout and literacy, you'll ABSOLUTELY love my roleplay group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/127063690973781/
#717 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 4:26 PM
HunterXHunter is pretty good, IMO. I don't know anything about Desert Punk, though.

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me

Stories: 1 still working on #2
Scholar
#718 Old 27th Aug 2016 at 7:59 PM
Dunno, but the name sounds pretty rad :D
Theorist
#719 Old 29th Dec 2016 at 6:30 AM
I heard this "realistic" and famous Dutch song on the radio in the car, quite aged and pretty likeable. It's about a mature guy (the singer) in the comparison and relationship with his own dad. When I heard the lyrics, I got a very strange mix of feelings. Especially since the person next to me was listening, too, and sort of singing the lyrics himself, was my own father.

https://muzikum.eu/en/127-179-81891...ranslation.html

Theorist
#720 Old 4th Jan 2017 at 3:31 PM
I just realized that I almost own a Mercedes! Well, a floormat under my desk and a piece of alloy belonging to my dads old Benz, which got T-boned, but still.

Out of fucks. Please try again soon.
#721 Old 4th Jan 2017 at 7:36 PM
Still more than what I have.

My 4 posts per day average died after I stayed off the site for a month, feels bad man.
#722 Old 5th Jan 2017 at 1:33 AM
I haven't been to this forum in a long time and my avatar is something I drew at least a year ago. It looks awful, but I'm not bothered to change it. Lol

This account doesn't exist
Scholar
#723 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 3:59 PM
I want this cake from this one place, but I hate going there because getting to that particular area is very inconvenient. But their cake is really good- I can imagine the taste already! Maybe I can convince mum to take me there after my resits? I think it would be well deserved after back to back exams
Alchemist
#724 Old 11th Feb 2017 at 4:51 AM
Despite 18 years and counting in spent in school, it took me four tries to spell "can't" correctly on FB just a bit ago... turns out, it doesn't actually start with "K!"

Not exactly my proudest moment... (or the proudest moment for my elementary English teachers either, probably...)

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Instructor
#725 Old 11th Feb 2017 at 6:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra
Despite 18 years and counting in spent in school, it took me four tries to spell "can't" correctly on FB just a bit ago... turns out, it doesn't actually start with "K!"

Not exactly my proudest moment... (or the proudest moment for my elementary English teachers either, probably...)

I have had those day, LOL! YANA.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Page 29 of 29