Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jan 2014 at 6:02 AM
Default How many bones are in a full body?
I thought I had a full body with all of its bones, but when I load the mesh into TSRW the legs are a mess. I've come up with one version that shows 50 bones, while another shows 60. Until I know how many the darn thing is supposed to have I'm kinda stuck. I tried copying the bones from separate top and bottom nudes using ToolKit but it isn't making any new bone assignments after the first pass. Does ToolKit observe the 60 bone limit and the full body mesh is trying to exceed that? Is there a full body with all bone assignments available anywhere? I can regroup the project into a 2 part mesh, but I really want to have the dress as its own complete mesh for future transparent projects. A 3 part mesh is also an option, but TSRW crashes every time I try to use one.
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 26th Jan 2014 at 11:08 AM
How are you making these full bodies? Have you tried using a full body swimsuit mesh?

Toolkit will not impose the limit, but will warn you if you're over 60 bones.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Jan 2014 at 1:50 PM Last edited by sciguy77 : 26th Jan 2014 at 2:23 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
How are you making these full bodies? Have you tried using a full body swimsuit mesh?

Toolkit will not impose the limit, but will warn you if you're over 60 bones.

I was trying to combine a nude top and bottom, but I could never get the bones right. I haven't succeeded in making the upper half of the nude body yet, but the lower half I made is much more shapely and also has a very low poly count. I've been able to use it in all the lower body meshes I've made with no issues and it looks really good in-game. This is my first attempt to use it in a full body mesh. I'll play around with some combined meshes and use the swimsuit as a bone ref to see if I can get it working. Worst case scenario -- I'll import the full body swimsuit mesh and modify it to match the bottom by subdividing and using Wes Howe's Unimesh Tools. The full body will get a LOT of use once its done! Thanks again Cmar.

EDIT: The swimsuit works perfectly. I was able to combine the EA top with my bottom, use the swimsuit as a bone ref, and get it working in TSRW with no problems. There's some slight clipping on the back of the leg to deal with and this project will be ready for some lacing and lower LOD's. The clipping is always an issue with extreme animations. but that goes with the territory when dealing with layered meshes. I think I can enlarge the dress in that area enough to clean up the clipping and still keep the dress looking right. I'd share this stuff here if I could but its all a little too revealing. My plunge mini full body outfit is available on SXS2, but I've had a mini skirt in the queue there for almost a month with no reply. I've also got a pareo as both a lower body outfit and an accessory item. I could probably post the accessory pareo here. Once I get this dress done I'll give it a shot.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 26th Jan 2014 at 3:11 PM
I use a fullbody mesh made by combining the EA top and bottom with Toolkit as reference for most meshes, for both bones and morphs. The af full body nude has exactly 60 bones. Here's my TSRW set if you want them, although the swimsuit will do just as well for most clothes. The only issue you might have with the swimsuit is if you use it as reference for separate tops and bottoms - the vertices and bone assignments at the waist won't be quite right and bare waistlines may not match perfectly to EA and other custom tops/bottoms.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  afFullBodyNude_wso.zip (736.3 KB, 18 downloads) - View custom content

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Jan 2014 at 12:53 AM
Thanks for this, when I have some time I'll poke around to see why this has 60 bones and the swimsuit only 58!
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 28th Jan 2014 at 1:42 AM
I always clone a outfit with 2 meshgroups.
Load the top in one and the bottom in the other, always works.

It depends a little wat kind of outfit it is, if it has skirtparts it sometimes has more or less joints(cos of the skirt joints)
Tsrw also has a bug that it picks a random joint for the 4th assignement.(no weight on it but it is listed.)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Jan 2014 at 8:04 AM
I've been doing the same thing Bloom. I need the body as a single mesh for a transparent dress though. TSRW doesn't like 3 part meshes for some reason. Setting a body mesh shader to CASSimHairSimple is not a pretty thing to witness. This way I can set the body to SimSkin, the dress to SimHairSimple, and still get away with using a 2 part mesh package. Now I gotta get the whole body to stay inside the dress. With the opaque meshes I've been cutting away parts of the butt. I'm gonna need those cutaway parts though if the clothing is sheer! I think its finally time to start getting serious about bone assignments. I've got the method down, what I need is experience and a better knowledge of how the weights actually affect the mesh. There's nothing like trial and error I guess ---
Screenshots
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 29th Jan 2014 at 1:25 AM
use my meshes as reference if you like.

I remember i had a few attempts before getting it right.
I took a skirt mesh as reference, then i unassigned the inner thighs (as those animated terrible with the skirt assignements)
ran it again through Toolkit again with nude body as reference to fix.

Besides the ones on my site i also did these similar outfits:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=510529
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=509570