Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 3:47 AM
If I remember correctly, NPD focuses on units sold at retail, not on online marketplaces such as Steam and Origin. The rankings make sense with that analysis, almost entirely due to the more prominent presence of the series at retail than the other games on the list. However, because the data does not include digital sales, where Sims players are typically less privy towards in comparison to games like Diablo III and World of Warcraft, we likely will not know how well the game actually did.

Whilst not completely related to this data, we also don't know how well the game did relative to EA's expectations. Considering their lack of voice on the matter, as well as the admission in disappointing the fans by Rachel Franklin in the recent Kotaku article, we could possible deduce that the game is not performing up to expectations.

So in reality, it's a metric that paints part of the picture, not the whole thing. Saying it was the "Top Selling PC Game of 2014" is fallacious, as we aren't given the complete picture. Add "At Retail", and you'll be correct.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#52 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 7:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Alistair
If I remember correctly, NPD focuses on units sold at retail, not on online marketplaces such as Steam and Origin. The rankings make sense with that analysis, almost entirely due to the more prominent presence of the series at retail than the other games on the list. However, because the data does not include digital sales, where Sims players are typically less privy towards in comparison to games like Diablo III and World of Warcraft, we likely will not know how well the game actually did.

Whilst not completely related to this data, we also don't know how well the game did relative to EA's expectations. Considering their lack of voice on the matter, as well as the admission in disappointing the fans by Rachel Franklin in the recent Kotaku article, we could possible deduce that the game is not performing up to expectations.

So in reality, it's a metric that paints part of the picture, not the whole thing. Saying it was the "Top Selling PC Game of 2014" is fallacious, as we aren't given the complete picture. Add "At Retail", and you'll be correct.

EA doesn't brag about the sales of their games any more like that. What they do now are the little graphic ads, they don't even seem to do it for their sports and shooters games. Also the Rachel thing was in response and not something she just came out to say. She was responding to a fan so there really wasn't anything else for her to say. If she says anything other than "I'm sorry etc etc" people would be even more upset at her I bet.

But you are right on everything else. NPD doesn't count Steam or Origin which are big retailers especially relevant to this chart and "Top Selling PC" game and really all that matters is how much revenue the Sims 4 brings in and EA's own expectations of it. So as of right now, no one really knows if it's succeeding or failing.

People that say it is failing can say that it's easy to see because of that Rachel comment and how many angry simmers they know.

People that say it is doing fine can point out that they have released updates to the game every month and thus still financially supporting it (something they did not do for Spore or Simcity) and that they know plenty of simmers that enjoy the game too.

I guess either way only time will tell right?

My Simblr --->Glee & Squee
Alchemist
#53 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 10:49 AM
It wouldn't have been if GTA V had been released for PC in 2014 instead of 2015, I've heard 2014 was not really a good year for gaming.

And this all seems very strange, it hadn't even been a year until you got 58% off The Sims 4 in Sweden and them giving out free game time for the game.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#54 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 11:02 AM
I still think it's the "fond aunt" syndrome, where rushed auntie needs to buy gift for little Bobbie and remembers he mentioned sims once. I have seen people saying their boyfriends promised to buy it for them and they don't like to say they dont want it any more for fear of hurting feelings.

I am sure the "fond aunt" accounts for many of the ghastly travesties of pop music that's made the charts.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Theorist
#55 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 1:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I still think it's the "fond aunt" syndrome, where rushed auntie needs to buy gift for little Bobbie and remembers he mentioned sims once. I have seen people saying their boyfriends promised to buy it for them and they don't like to say they dont want it any more for fear of hurting feelings.

I am sure the "fond aunt" accounts for many of the ghastly travesties of pop music that's made the charts.

Entirely possible. My aunt heard I liked vampires and gave me a copy of twilight for my bday. I was like.. thanks?

The sales likely swayed a good chunk of people on the fence as well and it was odd to see it go on sale so soon. EA is known for being stingy with their sales. You can't be super disappointed with something if you got it 50% off.

I survived September 2nd 2014 and all I got was this lousy thread - http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=532774
Theorist
#56 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 5:05 PM
Oh dears, this sends a message to EA that creating a successor to a series that is much more shallow with less gameplay and features than its predecessors doesn't just work, it works great!
Makes me afraid for Sims 5.

Resident wet blanket.
Top Secret Researcher
#57 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 9:00 PM
"Fond Aunt Sydrome" will undoubtedly be the reason if I ever try Sims 4, yep. (Luckily they have given up on giving me pop music!)
Field Researcher
#58 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones

That's what I kept seeing all over the internet. "My boyfriend bought me this game!" "My husband bought me this game!" "My mom bought me this game!" Some regret asking their s/o or family member after playing TS4 and being disappointed. And some feel comfortable with this game...for a small percentage, I wonder if part of the reason why some of these people are content with this game is because they've spent someone else's money instead of buying it on their own? So, they basically got this game for free and the game feels sweeter! If I would have gotten this game for free, I would be liking this game, maybe even playing it right now. But since I've spent my own money on this, I was hoping for more and I want to stick around to see what will happen next with this game and franchise. The Sims 4 being the top selling PC game, is interesting news...
Mad Poster
#59 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 12:11 AM
Yeah, every time the shortcomings of the game annoy me, I find myself thinking "well at least I didn't pay for it myself," which helps. If I'd handed over my own cash for a Sims game with three ages stages in 2014/15, the thought of all the other things I could've spent the money on would suck the rest of the fun out of it. It's kinda like if someone buys you a textbook for a class you're doing. It's appreciated even if it's not the most entertaining thing to read and hey, it was free! But when you have to buy it yourself at overinflated prices and then the tutor only uses the damn thing once... you resent the book, the tutor, the class, that friend who found a free PDF online two days after you paid for it, and yourself because the same thing happened with your last class and you still went ahead and brought the book like an idiot.
Scholar
#60 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 11:47 AM
For me it is fond sister syndrome. It can be quite awkward sometimes how she can look so expecting at my reaction. She is someone who then asks later how I am liking the gift and I can't disappoint her :/

TS4 is making me lie to my sister!
Instructor
#61 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 3:24 PM
Wow, all this time I thought I was rather unfortunate because I cannot even mention the word "sim" without getting glared at by my family members (distant or otherwise connected). Maybe it's not such a bad thing after all...
Test Subject
#62 Old 3rd Jun 2015 at 12:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by H.O.W
(2013 list)

SimCity 2013 is the second best-selling game? IT'S A FLOP PEOPLE! A FLOP! A FLOOOOOOOOOOOOP!

And I'm surprised how many people disagree on posts...
Instructor
#63 Old 7th Jun 2015 at 2:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by arathea
Don't forget that many people who don't like the game bought it and played it in the first place before disappointment hit. They still count for the sales.

I'm probably one of those suckers.
Page 3 of 3