Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Dec 2013 at 2:26 PM
Default Wanting less laggy gameplay
I'm getting a lot of lag with large lots and/or lots of sims on the lot. As I want to play schools etc. where both are going to be present, I'm looking at upgrading my computer to handle it.

I'm really not sure what I'll need to upgrade to though. I've added my system specs below and was hoping that someone could recommend what I'd need to change in order to get better performance.

My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce GT320M.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Dec 2013 at 3:13 PM
The first thing I would upgrade there is the RAM, second thing is the graphics card, but it's a close call between them. Is that DDR2 or DDR3 RAM?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#3 Old 11th Dec 2013 at 3:24 PM
I don't think you can upgrade this laptop's graphics. Not many laptop has this capability.

Quote:
The base plate, made of simple plastic, is easily impressionable when using one finger. The large opening on the underside offers expansion possibilities: there is easy access to the hard drive, RAM and WLAN module.
source

If the laptop model you have has the same build as that one that was reviewed, you can only upgrade RAM and HDD.
And the weakest link on that laptop is the graphics card. Well, actually as OS is Windows 7, I would say the Processor.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 11th Dec 2013 at 3:50 PM
The processor should be fine for TS2. The graphics card isn't good, but I would expect it to be able to cope with TS2, just not well.

Scholar
#5 Old 12th Dec 2013 at 2:55 AM
As far as I know The Sims 2 wasn't programmed to use more than 2GB of RAM, so I don't think RAM is an issue. And since neither the CPU nor the GPU can be upgraded I would say an SSD is the only thing that might help in this case. But I don't know if its worth the $$$.

I think you've just reached the limit of what the GT 320M can do.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 12th Dec 2013 at 9:02 AM
TS2 isn't LAA, but an increase in RAM may help in terms of giving Windows and other processes more 'space' to run in, increasing the chance of there actually being 2GB free for TS2.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Dec 2013 at 1:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Is that DDR2 or DDR3 RAM?

I don't know the difference.

Ideally, what amount of RAM should I have and what graphics card?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 12th Dec 2013 at 4:05 PM
DDR2 is older, DDR3 is faster.

I would recommend 4GB-6GB of RAM - more if you can get it - and a GeForce ?50 or better graphics card (or equivalent Radeon model).

Scholar
#9 Old 12th Dec 2013 at 11:41 PM
To find out if you can the upgrade RAM, try using Crucial's system scanner. It'll tell you what type of RAM you use and what can be used to upgrade it. The download file should be ~228kb, it then opens up a browser window.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th Dec 2013 at 10:36 AM
Thanks!