Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2010 at 10:49 PM Last edited by murfee : 29th Jul 2010 at 8:54 PM.
Default Acceptable poly counts in objects? RESOLVED
I am asking here because when i searched I could not find the desired answer elsewhere.

I know for TS2 the acceptable poly count for an object was around 800/tile. Is that the same for TS3? I know 3 has higher graphics and all, and just wondered. Because I am convering a TS2 object right now, and got a warning from a fellow Simner about having too many high poly objects on my laptop, so I went to Milkshape's DirectX Mesh tool and pulled that slider back by a *third*--shocked when it told me I had removed around 17000 polys! Yes. THOUSAND. Not *hundred*. And i know the poly count had to be high cuz the facecount for all the groups in SimPE was ~ 20900, 1170, 150 & 4900, and TSRW wouldn't even open, so....yeah....

So I just wanted to know what the range is for TS3, is all.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2010 at 11:09 PM
Basically... it varies. Best thing to do is to look at an EA object of a similar type and complexity (or several) for guidelines. For example, if you're making a chair, look at chairs. If you're making a statue, look at statues - the size and usability of the object has a lot to do with it. 800 was a basic rule for TS2 but not a hard rule - a very special single tile statue could be 2000 and not have it be a huge issue, cos you'd only use it once.

And, of course, the other answer is "always as low as possible for your type of object." A lot of people see "the limit is 800" and think "okay then I can do 800." But if you're making a very straight-lined simple object that's really just a few boxes, then 800 is ridiculous and pointless.

Sim poly counts have approximately doubled - for hair, faces, bodies, etc. - for objects I believe the difference overall is a bit lower... maybe not doubled but a bit higher than for TS2.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2010 at 11:33 PM
So it IS a tad bit higher than for TS2? I figured as much; makes sense . Okay, (phew) here's another question: For my High Level Detail/Low Level Detail & Shadow Meshes, is it alright if the polycount/vertices/faces don't match up? Because it's hard to get that slider exactly right, especially since the view I have sucks rotten eggs through a bendy straw. I can barely see the darn thing--it's BIG, but the Tool zooms so far out that I can hardly tell what polys I'm removing! And I went and forgot the numbers for my first meshes. So it's like my HLD's poly count would be 1234, for instance, but my LLD would be 1001 and my Shadow mesh would be 1111. Does that present a problem? I assume it wouldn't, but I'd feel more comfortable asking experts before putting this stuff into my game and having it go Manhattan Project on me!
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 24th Jul 2010 at 11:25 AM
That is just fine, you dont have to be that acurate.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Jul 2010 at 1:15 PM
Thank you, all!