Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 3:32 AM
Default CAW object mesh: TSRW / Milkshape UV coordinates and self-illumination
Hi,

I've been recently trying to create a CAW deco building (by cloning the LN billboard with self illumination). The mesh is extracted from another game I play (which luckily seems to have a similar obj format). I am having a bit of difficulty getting the self illumination materials to work properly. Specifically, I first used S3OC/S3PE and while I was able to get the object into CAW/in-game (cloning a barn), when I tried to clone the LN billboard the illumination was messed up. I edited the self illumination map that came with the billboard but in the end my building just ended up looking pitch-black during the day (though it was lit up at night).

Below (Regular no-lighting mesh cloned from barn vs. Failed attempt at illuminated mesh cloned from billboard)

I had better luck with TSRW, and was able to get the lighting to work. Unfortunately, it seems that the UV in CAW is messed up (when I view the mesh in TSRW, the UV appears correct). I've checked several threads that mention that TSRW cannot handle UV coordinates outside the map, so I checked and made sure my UV coordinates were all in the map (images below). The only "error" I got when I imported the mesh into TSRW was the image below, but I searched the forums and it seems like that relates to the normal map really (?)

At this point, I'm not really sure where to turn - any ideas or advice on how to get this fixed would be much appreciated. Please let me know if there is any additional information which I should provide.

(Images of what I'm seeing using TSRW are below)

UV map in Milkshape (all coordinates on the map):

Preview in TSRW (UV map looks correct):

In CAW (UV map off):
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 8:20 AM
The object you cloned uses multiple uvmaps, there are not many programs that can handle those.
It is indeed related to the original normalmap wich is most likly diffrent in size/scaled.
Use either a blanc normalmap or one that has the same size as your default texture(multiplier/diffuse)

I am puzzled why the uvmap wont stick....
Did you finish all lods already as that might be the cause.
Also check if the mesh has multiple states(under extras)
The uvcoordinates are close to the edge of the map, try(as a test) to scale em a little smaller.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 1:05 PM Last edited by jpikman : 9th Feb 2014 at 2:14 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
The object you cloned uses multiple uvmaps, there are not many programs that can handle those.
It is indeed related to the original normalmap wich is most likly diffrent in size/scaled.
Use either a blanc normalmap or one that has the same size as your default texture(multiplier/diffuse)

I am puzzled why the uvmap wont stick....
Did you finish all lods already as that might be the cause.
Also check if the mesh has multiple states(under extras)
The uvcoordinates are close to the edge of the map, try(as a test) to scale em a little smaller.

Brilliant, thank you! I did finish all the LODs and as a test moved the UV coordinates, which didn't fix anything unfortunately. That being said, I checked and while the mesh does not have an extra geostate, there is a material in the "Extra" section. When I select the regular default material everything shows up fine. But when I select the material in the "Extra" section it shows me the messed up version I'm seeing in CAW (images below).

Any idea how to remove/edit this multiple state (I am assuming this is the main problem vs. normal maps, UV coordinates)? (the only reason I'm thinking it might not be the normal map is that the original mesh I created using Milkshape S3PE mapped fine)

*Edit: I also checked the original extracted mesh; the size of the normal and the diffuse map in the original mesh are the same (1024 x 1024) - the multiplier/spec however that I created is 512 x 512, could that possibly cause it?

Otherwise, is there anyway I can bypass TSRW entirely and try to getting illumination to work in S3PE (first set of images in my original post)?

Sockpuppet
#4 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 10:12 PM
The 0x0000000 version is supposed to be there, no worries.
Sometimes there is a burnt or dirt version of the mesh aswell.
So dont change anything there.

Yes, try making all the textures the same size, then reimport the meshes.
TSRW recalculates the UVselectors when importing a new mesh, this might have gone wrong when importing meshes first and then do the textures..
So texture first, then import mesh.
It is possible you have to change the uvselectors manual if this doesn't work.

S 3pe isn't really my favorite when it comes to stuff like this, can not help you there.
Might want to ask on: www.simlogical.com