Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 2:36 AM
Default Would it ever be possible to give Adults one extra personality trait?
I noticed there was an Equip Slot Number Map, and also the aging tunable had something about popping up the "assign trait" dialog.

Since we have "look for the third trait to tell if that's a teen or a YA+", I thought it would be a good idea to give older adults an extra trait.

But - it doesn't work in CAS, is that bit hard coded?

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 11:24 AM
It is hard coded in the UI, but if you edit the UI it should be possible.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 11:51 PM Last edited by DrChillgood : 1st Oct 2014 at 3:08 PM.
Ah, so that involves changing the GFX files...

And I found the offending file. GFX instance 7D5FA9E0C2A4F038 in the UI package.

The nitwits at Eeyay only drew in three slots on their oh-so-pretty "Molecule". Yay, it looks all sciency and pretty! Never mind that it's hard-coded and drawn for only three slots, and not like the trait list of TS3!

Looks like we're screwed.

3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Eminence Grise
#4 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 11:42 PM Last edited by Srikandi : 4th Oct 2014 at 12:08 AM.
Hmm? That doesn't seem like the right reason to give up.

It IS already possible for a sim to have more than three "standard" traits, via cheats (Clown's debug unlocker, for instance). So you just need a way to display it (even that might not be necessary; TS3 players were able to live with more household members and skins than could be displayed, for instance, before folks figured out ways to get them to display).

And from what I understand, the interface is just Flash, which can be decompiled and recompiled; EA may have only drawn three slots but is there a reason you couldn't draw on some more?

The trickiest and most important part, it seems to me, is the script mod to make the player pick a trait when the sim ages up (and add the trait automatically for unplayed sims).
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 2:10 AM
I don't have Flash / graphics experience, only coding experience. And it seems I'm no good there too, seeing as my first attempt caused the game to poop itself.

It seems that the "choose a trait" dialog is determined partly by the tuning, too. There's also a ton of tunings for Sim generation, which ensures three traits. Each tuning that generates an Adult/Elder will need to be changed too - that will be the time-consuming part.