Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 5:57 PM Last edited by JettSchae : 2nd Sep 2014 at 10:52 PM.
Default TS4 Object Fade
Alright, I've been digging around the camera files for about an hour now with no luck in finding the strings I need to edit to turn the object hiding off. It's seriously annoying, as it doesn't even turn the object hiding off in cameraman (TAB) mode, and so I'd love some help finding the thing(s) to edit to do so! Does anyone happen to know how to do this yet?

I played around with editing these:
setProp $ConfigGroup ClipPlaneExponent "1"
setProp $ConfigGroup ClipPlaneZoomClose "10"
setProp $ConfigGroup ClipPlaneZoomDistant "75"
setProp $ConfigGroup FogCurveModifier "1, 3"
setProp $ConfigGroup ObjectSizeCullFactor "200"
in the GraphicsRules.sgr but they didn't seem to have the desired effect as far as I could tell from playing around with it.

I will update if I find a solution or if someone else finds it! =)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 7:14 PM
What do you mean by "object hiding"? Are you talking about the camera Fade settings, when the camera is pushed close enough to trees, the trees fade out; and also getting very close to sims, the sim fades and becomes invisible?

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 7:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101
What do you mean by "object hiding"? Are you talking about the camera Fade settings, when the camera is pushed close enough to trees, the trees fade out; and also getting very close to sims, the sim fades and becomes invisible?

Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about. It was called Object Hide or Object Fade in TS3's options is why I said it that way, sorry if it wasn't that clear, heh!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 8:42 PM
I think you can do this with two of the DATA files, I don't think it will be listed anywhere else. You need the Data File Tool by velocitygrass in the Modding Tools forum. The two files have the Group# (in s4pe) 0x001F95DE and I think you will probably find them in a SimulationFullbuild file in the Data\ Simulation folder. If they aren't in there they have to be in one of the Fullbuild files in the Client folder. (I don't have the game until Thursday so I can't check, I've simply seen screenshots of this folder structure.)

Export those two files with s4pe into a new Package, which will be your mod file, and save and name it. Now export the two files to disc somewhere with the name s4pe gives you. Open these with the Data Tool and edit and save these. Now using the Package file mod, right click on each of the two DATA resources and use Replace, and select the proper file. In other words, don't use the Import function in s4pe, use the Replace instead.

Save this file and place in Mods and see if anything happens.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 8:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101
I think you can do this with two of the DATA files, I don't think it will be listed anywhere else. You need the Data File Tool by velocitygrass in the Modding Tools forum. The two files have the Group# (in s4pe) 0x001F95DE and I think you will probably find them in a SimulationFullbuild file in the Data\ Simulation folder. If they aren't in there they have to be in one of the Fullbuild files in the Client folder. (I don't have the game until Thursday so I can't check, I've simply seen screenshots of this folder structure.)

Export those two files with s4pe into a new Package, which will be your mod file, and save and name it. Now export the two files to disc somewhere with the name s4pe gives you. Open these with the Data Tool and edit and save these. Now using the Package file mod, right click on each of the two DATA resources and use Replace, and select the proper file. In other words, don't use the Import function in s4pe, use the Replace instead.

Save this file and place in Mods and see if anything happens.

I will test this and let you know if this works! Thank you!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 9:52 PM Last edited by JettSchae : 2nd Sep 2014 at 11:56 PM.
Alright, I've done what I can, but it just doesn't seem to want to work for me. (I tried with Sims 4 Data v0.0.0.2 full version) Every time I save the data file(s) with new values (ANY new values), it resets itself back to the default values no matter how I try to save it and get it to keep what I put in. I'm not exactly sure what's wrong, if it's me, or if it's the tool itself not being able to save the new values.

If you'd like to try I am including the project zip with the original untouched data files and package included. I'll give it another shot later, but I can't seem to figure out why it won't save the new files at the moment.

EDIT: Removed the file! =)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 11:22 PM
Yes, I got the same problem with your files; I haven't actually used the tool to save anything before, since I don't have the game yet, so I don't have anything to mod. Try doing it like this:
When you have edited and you hit the Save button, do not overwrite the existing file. Choose a different folder first to save to, then say yes. This worked for me and I could see that the data was altered in s4pe after I Replaced the 2 files. You see the alteration towards the bottom in the Field Data which shows as hex data.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#8 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 11:31 PM
There was an update just now (of the Data file tool, "2014-09-03: overwriting files now works") -- you might want to try with that?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Inventor
#9 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 11:31 PM
The bug with overwriting existing files should be fixed in v0.0.0.3. Let me know if it still doesn't work. And please feel free to add comments/bug reports in the thread for the tool.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 11:33 PM
Thanks guys! I'll try again with the updated tool now, and will update again to let you know how it went.
@velocitygrass I will do that from now on as well, thank you!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 12:24 AM
Alright I've tested and re-tested the data tool, it works perfectly now! Unfortunately for the purposes of the No More Fading mod I'm trying to work on, I can't seem to figure out the correct variables to get rid of the horrendous fade. I think I got close-ish to getting it working on one attempt, but my next attempt ended with infinite loading times, so it was a bust. (Thank god re-loading the game takes WAY less time than TS3/2 for the purposes of having to test and re-test things). I'm giving up on working on it for today, but I may try again tomorrow! (I've been trying to get it to work all day with no luck, I'm exhausted!) This may be a result of me being fairly new to modding (only ever done a few tuning mods a long time ago). So if anyone has any insight into this, I'd be very grateful.

Maybe someone with more experience will have better luck than me, if they want to give it a try! I won't give up though, I'll keep trying tomorrow. =)
Mad Poster
#12 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 12:53 AM
I think what I would try first is setting these here to 0.

DefaultObjectFadeStart
DefaultObjectFadeFinish
SimFadeStart
SimFadeFinish

Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 5:21 AM
Unfortunately, what you suggested was one of the first things I tried. I've tried all sorts of different variables for those, nothing has seemed to make much of a difference. I'll have to try some more extremes tomorrow to see if it'll make any sort of change at all and go from there.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 1:52 PM
they need to have a patch to add the option to disable object fade or something., it will be annoying mostly for video makers too! that and the issues with ugly shadow blobs in ceilings (which ironically was an issue in the sims 3 too...and the sims 2) would be nice to be fixed somehow :-p. other then that ive enjoyed the graphics.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 9:30 PM Last edited by JettSchae : 6th Sep 2014 at 3:53 AM.
I'm not sure it's possible to turn the fading off. At least, it may not be within my limited skill range. The game seems to act according to the default values if you set it any lower than what "default" is. I've tried extremes, I've tried only decreasing it by one or two, with no noticeable changes whatsoever. I have managed to get it to go the opposite direction though, which leads me to believe it IS possible, I just don't know how. (I managed to make my sims start their fade from quite a distance away.)

I will keep trying, but maybe on Tuesday (or whatever you get your game) if you feel like taking a crack at it, @Shimrod101 I'd love to hear what you find! =)

@Evenios Hehe, yeah, that's why I've spent the majority of my time with the game trying to make the stupid fade go away. I absolutely can't stand it. It drives me batty because I mainly use my game for screenshots. So not being able to even get NEAR a tree without it just *POOF*ing out of existence is just such a disappointment and a nuisance.

EDIT: I'm starting to think there may be a separate file that needs editing for the.. I guess I should call it foliage fade (trees, bushes, etc). I haven't been able to find such a file but seeing as how the values I've tried so far have had absolutely no effect on them at all, I'm thinking it's possible.
Is Claeric
#16 Old 10th Oct 2014 at 8:47 PM
Has anyone made any progress on this?