Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#76 Old 22nd Nov 2012 at 5:55 AM Last edited by Simsica : 22nd Nov 2012 at 8:05 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Interesting. I think seeing the sim/s in question are meant to be on holidays/vacation, that I would use the simlogical sign to stop the car pool.

In my case, I have empty templates for all hoods, except for BV - only Sims I ever play there as hotel guests are BV tourist families and they have no jobs.

Before, I had a com lot business - no such problem there. Which is why I never tried this before.
In any case - it's good to know.

godspeed, about the farming sets - unfortunately I haven't used any besides Echo's so I can't help you there with any sort of first-hand experience. But there was a relatively recent thread here about farming. Maybe check there. If you can find it... I'll try to come up with the link.

Yeah, another ETA coming your way. I do it so much that I could change my username to EditedToAdd, or something, and still be recognized.

ETA: The aforementioned link.

The best thing about a good thing is that it inspires a better thing. ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#77 Old 23rd Nov 2012 at 4:59 AM
Anyways Thanks Simsica. My seasons just stopped working so I miss those farms and gardening stuffs. But please let me know if you or anyone have any links to the farming set apart from Echo's farmerset.

In this world people may throw stones in the path of your success, it depends on you ….. What you make from them …… a wall or a bridge.. What's Your TS2 Business?
Top Secret Researcher
#78 Old 23rd Nov 2012 at 6:16 AM
There are farm animal sets at Affinity Sims (under animated objects); not sure what exactly you're looking for, though.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#79 Old 23rd Nov 2012 at 6:26 AM
Yes Farm animals are fine too. but what I am actually looking is Plants that produces fruits and which can be sold like in seasons. but my seasons is not functioning so I need some hacks or downloads.

In this world people may throw stones in the path of your success, it depends on you ….. What you make from them …… a wall or a bridge.. What's Your TS2 Business?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#80 Old 23rd Nov 2012 at 6:36 AM
I wouldn't accept that godspeed; you own seasons and should be able to play it. Have you posted on tech support about your issues?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#81 Old 23rd Nov 2012 at 9:22 AM
Jo please give a correct link for the game help so I could actually write my problems why my ofb gets uninstalled after I install seasons.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#82 Old 23rd Nov 2012 at 9:30 AM
Both the game help board and the technical help board (as I'm not sure which one you need) are under the Site map up above godspeed. http://www.modthesims.info/sitemap.php Down to the left under help and support.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#83 Old 23rd Nov 2012 at 11:22 AM Last edited by godspeed : 26th Nov 2012 at 2:36 PM.
Thanks jo. I have posted a thread in the game help. I hope I will get some serious help there.

Extra text added; What do you think that the last stage for having a business???
What i actually mean is; We get all the Perks, Business level is in the farthest level. All of our employees have gold badges in all skills and even the active sim. What's next???
This question is only meant for having a business??

Scholar
#84 Old 27th Nov 2012 at 8:23 AM
What next? Another business? Or make money like crazy? Isn't that the point of any business?

This is what I do. When the business reaches 10th lvl and makes enough money to support the owner family and the employees, if the owner is a fortune Sim, and/or the business is of the kind to be turned into a "chain" (chain of supermarkets, fashion shops, bakeries, etc.), I open another. If it's the "chain", then in other subhoods; if not, then something entirely else. Like Jenny Burb started with electronics shop, then opened a cafe, and then a lamps/lighting shop, when the cafe reached lvl 10. She was a fortune Sim, so she had the wants and all.

YOu could also simply stay more at home with your owners and earn money by checking in. There's a hack from Pescado called "antibusinessdecay" that eliminates the income decay for these situations.

The best thing about a good thing is that it inspires a better thing. ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#85 Old 27th Nov 2012 at 9:28 AM
I run the business for my hood rather than just the family that owns it. So the purpose of having a post office is because the town needs a post office- whatever level it is. If I think a business is redundant or the wrong business for that owner I sell it back and have it unowned. Of course for families whose sole income is a business then containing to make a good profit is also very important. Another point is seeing what the next house in rotation has bought in their inventories. Sometimes I decide things for that sim/family based on what they are buying. You bought a pair of glasses? I might give you some to wear. You buy a lot of cake? Must be a sweet tooth. Always buying candles? Well they might be a romantic or just want to be Amish. You don't get that feed back without playables running things. I don't use managers as I find them annoying so the family has to continue to run them.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#86 Old 27th Nov 2012 at 10:59 AM
I love seeing the inventory full of stuff that my playable bought when I wasn't looking. I have a bakery and use the birthday and wedding cakes as an indicator of how many children they want, or whether they'll marry at all. To do this I check what teens have just before they age up and that will set their character, so when one boy had one wedding cake, 9 birthday cakes and a whole store worth of pet stuff, of course he had to be a family sim!

I also like seeing how logical some of the choices are even with random buys. I had one choose all green furniture out of the Seasons range, another had a bathroom fetish but took nothing but towels, toilets and mirrors, and another liked all the high end modern stuff and ended up with a whole apartment furnished really well with no input from me at all.

I have a series of little shops by Phaenoh, called Sand Simolen Point I think (you can find it here) and if my people want something, they have to buy it from a playable owned store. With a little reworking, the shops are a lot of fun to play and there's a blank one you can make into anything you like.

I find small businesses work better for me as I can keep control of things easily and I like the whole small town feel I get from from a row of little shops where everyone knows each other in town.
Scholar
#87 Old 27th Nov 2012 at 5:58 PM Last edited by Simsica : 28th Nov 2012 at 8:09 AM.
The inventories full of bought stuff were the reason why I started to love OFB and went down that road never to look back. I never understood why the "No Playable Shoppers" was needed in the first place. Stash the money in a safe or in the bank and leave them something to spend - that's what I do.

My Sims buy in OFB shops everything that can be sold through an OFB shop. I use the inventoried stuff both as is and as a spending money: I get to spend on the house or the garden as much as they have bought, if I'm not so inclined as to use that stuff in particular.

Mad Poster
#88 Old 27th Nov 2012 at 8:10 PM
Simsica, because the Goths and DeBateaus will spend all their money on fast cars at Landgraab's Autos, then come in to J'Adore and whine that they're broke and just looking. I have a big enough rotation that I have to keep an eye out for who's shopping where and ban those who will go broke after buying twenty Lamborghini's at Mr. Landgraab's establishment and I won't get back to them to delete nineteen of them for another forty houses or so. No Playable Shoppers can, when I don't feel like bothering to watch all that closely, keep them from doing that stupidity. I often keep the playables out and run something like that on speed three to level grind, then when it gets near the top level slow down and let them in. (Or the other way around, let the playables in at level one, then ban them and speed three it.) Sims who want five level ten businesses for their LTW, honestly! I have to like the sim a lot and they have to have lots of active and outgoing points, or they get to reroll.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#89 Old 28th Nov 2012 at 5:41 AM
What I actually meant was If I owe most of the shopping lots and has gained all the stars. I am staying in home for longer hours and just earning simoleons from just checking in to the businesses I own. What's next? may be, the successor would run the family business or something other than that?????

Mad Poster
#90 Old 28th Nov 2012 at 7:16 AM
Well, that's up to you, isn't it? What do you want to do? More to the point, what do your sims want to do? What's coming up in their lives? Is it time for the owner to train up his descendents (and do they want to inherit the businesses?), to sell out, to retire and spend the rest of his life traveling, gardening, and kibitzing his children's lives? Or is he the sort to pine for new worlds to conquer and think up new kinds of businesses? Sooner or later he'll die - will he make provision for that? What about his loved ones - is there anything they want from him that the businesses can supply, or that they block them from getting?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#91 Old 28th Nov 2012 at 9:40 AM Last edited by Simsica : 28th Nov 2012 at 10:30 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
Simsica, because the Goths and DeBateaus will spend all their money on fast cars at Landgraab's Autos, then come in to J'Adore and whine that they're broke and just looking. I have a big enough rotation that I have to keep an eye out for who's shopping where and ban those who will go broke after buying twenty Lamborghini's at Mr. Landgraab's establishment and I won't get back to them to delete nineteen of them for another forty houses or so. No Playable Shoppers can, when I don't feel like bothering to watch all that closely, keep them from doing that stupidity. I often keep the playables out and run something like that on speed three to level grind, then when it gets near the top level slow down and let them in. (Or the other way around, let the playables in at level one, then ban them and speed three it.) Sims who want five level ten businesses for their LTW, honestly! I have to like the sim a lot and they have to have lots of active and outgoing points, or they get to reroll.

I thought everyone on MTS knew that OFB is sort of my weakness and that I can talk about it till the next doomsday (which is admittedly not a very long time atm). And you have successfully pulled me by the tongue, Sunbee - the following *huge* post is thus *your* responsibility

I mentioned *savings*, didn't I? Many - *many* - ways to stash away the money, if needed.
Should I even begin about *my* rotations and the related economies I build upon them? Oh yes - the tongue *was* pulled! After a rotation or two with full complement of OFB shops in function, I have a general feeling about the "spending power", as I call it, of each and every of my families. And the sum of that "spending power" has to *at least* match the "needs" of my entire hood: all live off of each other, so if they don't spend, others don't eat, or anything else really. Just like in the real world.
Now, my economies depend on this self-sustainable aspect, but to enable "economic and demographic growth", I had to introduce the "extra/outside income": tourists and Sim World Economy. Both of these are strictly controlled, however, in a leveled structure of the hood's *progress* - this is the final framework of my communities, what drives their development. First includes the out-of-hood visitors, restricted to the so called "tourist trap businesses" - entertainment, recreation, nature preserves, landmarks, etc. The second refers to the structure of "import-export". (I see my Sims as living in this tiny Sim world, in one of the tiny Sim nations - my own, played Sim nation consisting of the main hood and its subhoods.) Elsewhere, for instance, produces fish and some sorts of produce (eggplants, apples, pole beans) and sells a portion of it to other sub-hoods and the rest to the "Sim World". Simville has factories (primarily clothing, though car production is about to take off), Driftwood (my downtown) is financial center - i.e. banking and financing (they will finance car production). These are the sources of the "extra/outside income". How does that get played? By use of the game-inherent "sell" interactions. Things are produced then sold directly through the catalog or from the owners' inventories. This is the only time my Sims are allowed to use those interactions - if there's the "export" relation with "Sim World Economy".
Very simplified economic model, but it does the trick.

In other words, I don't use "no playable shoppers" (I do have the hack, mind you - Pescado said it would help my Customer Selector work more easily ) and still have a system to: 1. save enough money, 2. sustain my hoods with their spending, 3. make more money *and* 4. keep it challenging.
I do really, honestly, quite deeply love and depend upon OFB in all aspects of my gameplay.

I love it most of all because with it and the many hacks that fix it and complement it I can control *groups* of playables who can visit the OFB lots - not because I'd want to save their money, but because I don't see all Sims wanting to visit the gym or the cinema or even the grocery shop.
And about *these* rules - of playables' visitation "rights" - I haven't even began writing...

Okay, I'll leave that for another time.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#92 Old 28th Nov 2012 at 11:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by godspeed
What I actually meant was If I owe most of the shopping lots and has gained all the stars. I am staying in home for longer hours and just earning simoleons from just checking in to the businesses I own. What's next? may be, the successor would run the family business or something other than that?????

Also there is no rule stating you must put on a manager and stay home and ring in at all. As I said I never use managers, so instead of staying home have your sims run it. I guess if the main point is to just to get to level ten, then the business would lose some of its purpose once that is reached. If I was playing that way (I used to) and found it boring/pointless I would change the way I play. Which I did and now the business is for the running of the town and way less about rank. Ranks are nice and my sims just starting up with hardly any money do find the money very handy to actually make the business look more then a shack on a piece of land, or buy a larger house where they don't have to squeeze their kids beds out in the hall, but after that it doesn't really matter.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#93 Old 28th Nov 2012 at 11:23 AM
Jo - it's such a pleasure to see how your OFB affliction brings you so much fun! It's amazing, isn't it, what this EP offers as its (often hidden) rewards?
I play with OFB focus for over 4 years now and still I discover new things to do with it every day.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#94 Old 28th Nov 2012 at 8:20 PM
Simsica, your not the only one whose favourite EP is OFB.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#95 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 12:31 AM
So, which do you all think would be most profitable for a first time business owner? A book store or clolthing store (strictly sales), an art gallery with the option to buy paintings(sales & pay to stay), or a hookah bar (bubble bar) type business (pay to stay)? I have no experience with community lot businesses, and I really want to start using that aspect of the game. I've read all four pages on here, but I'm still not quite sure which I should start with. (:
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#96 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 1:12 AM
I would start with a pay and stay business which has a small amount of selling on the side. Something from the buy catalogue that you can easily put into a sims inventory if you don't feel like selling. A bookcase would be good as those are cheap but if you have a decent amount of cash a stand of clothing would work too. Just they are more expensive to buy and restock. You should also make your sims a staff room with objects to fill their needs.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#97 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 1:23 AM
I would start with a pay and stay business which has a small amount of selling on the side. Something from the buy catalogue that you can easily put into a sims inventory if you don't feel like selling. A bookcase would be good as those are cheap but if you have a decent amount of cash a stand of clothing would work too. Just they are more expensive to buy and restock. You should also make your sims a staff room with objects to fill their needs.

Thank you (: I appreciate your opinion :3
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#98 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 3:42 AM
Wow that is something worth of an information about OFB. Thanks to all the posters who shared their opinion here with us about OFB.

Scholar
#99 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 5:23 AM Last edited by Simsica : 29th Nov 2012 at 6:03 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Emabear
So, which do you all think would be most profitable for a first time business owner? A book store or clolthing store (strictly sales), an art gallery with the option to buy paintings(sales & pay to stay), or a hookah bar (bubble bar) type business (pay to stay)? I have no experience with community lot businesses, and I really want to start using that aspect of the game. I've read all four pages on here, but I'm still not quite sure which I should start with. (:

Okay, out of your examples, I'd say an art gallery for Sim-painted paintings. Why? You spend literally nothing - all you earn is thus pure profit. Of course, you'd have to have at least one painter with Creativity 10 and an easel.

Someone earlier mentioned electronics - my Jenny Burb earned tons of money on that.
Cars? Of course, for this one, you'd need a hefty starting investment. Or begin with nothing but hunchbacks (is that how that cheapest car is named?). If you have FT - you could sell the restored cars - profit margin would be also very large.

The easiest way, if you don't mind customers roaming your Sims' house, is the bandatron business: charge their stay and let them watch your TV, or something. This can be very profitable, but you have to keep in mind that the price of the ticket depends on the luxuriousness of the place, and on the level of the business too. On higher levels, you can make it even more expensive, and still have a house full of content customers.
For this one: bubble-blower (from Uni), poker tables, and/or hot tubs - they keep customers "busy", almost locked in those objects interactions.

A bookstore is not very profitable (§35 for a book; 10 books per bookcase, maybe more in the more expensive ones).

Clothing store is profitable, though from my experience, not as some others I already mentioned. Unlike with cars, where using the FT car would make your business very profitable, FT sewing machine takes long to sew an outfit to be such great help, though the expenses are §120 per piece of sewed clothing (if sewing the items from the clothing catalog) and the base selling price is §400. It is relatively easy to run, however, if you're selling only the clothes from the racks - easy to restock; can be run by a single Sim easily.

Furniture can also prove to be profitable - but again, you'd need a hefty starting investment, like with the cars. And an extra restocker when it takes off.

In conclusion, depends on the money you're starting with and the money you're willing to spend to earn more.

Simsica, your not the only one whose favourite EP is OFB.

I know I am not - of course - but ever since they failed to repeat it for the TS3, I think I'm in minority. Why else would they not make it again? Don't they have some statistics or something when deciding what to do? - Anyway, that's what I think: us, who love this EP, aren't that many...

ETA: You'll see, Jo, how many people agrees with your post. It will be an indicator of this minority, I bet you.

Top Secret Researcher
#100 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 5:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simsica
I know I am not - of course - but ever since they failed to repeat it for the TS3, I think I'm in minority. Why else would they not make it again? Don't they have some statistics or something when deciding what to do? - Anyway, that's what I think: us, who love this EP, aren't that many...

ETA: You'll see, Jo, how many people agrees with your post. It will be an indicator of this minority, I bet you.

I think the business format confused and angered people. It isn't exactly straight forward. I had to give a couple tries before I figured it out.

Simblr.
Asks are always open, even to anons. I will always reply to asks, and I do my best to be cordial/less snarky than usual.
Page 4 of 7