Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 10:54 AM
Building Mode Thread
In 5 pages I only see a few threads about building mode so I thought i'd made a main one.

Personally the biggest part I care about in The Sims is the Building Mode. No idea why genetics, schools, hair styles etc are so importent for alot of people. It can be easy modded. But the game build tools and limits is a thing that cannot be changed after. So I think that should be a priority for EA.

Absolute needs:

- Bigger lots. 64x64 just isn't going to cut it. If you wanna make a realistic house with a driveway you need bigger lots. If the lot size is the same as in the sims 3 i'm out. I hope for at least 128x128.
- Terrain that can be raised till floor level at more than 1 level. I hate it how you can't make more than one terrain slope to reach the house. Stairs are just so boring and don't look realistic.
- Better use of stairs. 45 degrees angle and multi floor stairs without using cheats.
- This one is build/buy mode. Realistic sinks for in bathrooms. Toilets with a door and sink should be fitted in a smaller bathroom, like a toilet under the stairs.

And yours?
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 12:21 PM
Genetics can't be modded. That's all.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 1:52 PM Last edited by evilcatapila : 1st Feb 2014 at 2:10 PM.
I'm also very interested in the build mode and hope this thread takes off. To help it along I thought I'd add a few bits of the info we have as a reminder.

Pictures from the official site:

Articles from Sims Camp at Gamescom:

http://youtu.be/ZUcsUvGDJJ0
http://www.platinumsimmers.com/arti...tions-are-gone/
http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2013/0...build-mode.html
http://www.edenstyle.it/the-sims-4-...3-building.html
https://www.thesimsresource.com/new...%20First%20Look
http://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedia...ms-4-build-mode

Magazine articles mentioning build mode (thanks to the brilliant Honeywell):

http://honeywellsims4news.tumblr.co...le-a-first-look
http://honeywellsims4news.tumblr.co...3528363/gamestm
http://honeywellsims4news.tumblr.co...80/pc-powerplay
Mad Poster
#4 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 2:22 PM
If you want to make a realistic home with a driveway, you really don't need more than a 40x40. Certain mansions do require large space, though. 128x would probably be too big. That's a lot of content on one lot to render at one time. 100x100 would be a good stopping point for mega mansions, and even that's pushing it a little.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
One Minute Ninja'd
#5 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 3:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
If you want to make a realistic home with a driveway, you really don't need more than a 40x40. Certain mansions do require large space, though. 128x would probably be too big. That's a lot of content on one lot to render at one time. 100x100 would be a good stopping point for mega mansions, and even that's pushing it a little.

And to carry that thought a bit further, the rendering demands for large lots can be extensive, especially if heavily decorated and landscaped. Given how easy it is to hit the maximal memory space that 32 bit TS3 can reach, larger and more detailed renders might very well be a stretch if 4 remains 32 bit. And it is my impression, based on the very limited information we've been given, that it is unlikely 4 will be a native 64 bit program. Although without CAST and with the low ploy renders of simple furniture and plastic hair, such as we've been shown to date, I guess they're not sweating about it remaining a 32 bit program.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 4:03 PM
I don't know what the OP is talking about. I build large, ample, fully furnished with 2 car garages (or larger), long driveways, plenty of room for landscaping, pool, greenhouse and with 5 bedrooms, 4 bath. All on a 40x40. Now I must admit my bedrooms are no larger than 7x8 and I make the kitchen like a chef's kitchen with diningrooms able to hold 2- 3 tile dining tables, but I think it's roomy enough and my sims move well in them. I don't see the use of having more than that on a residential lot in Sims 3. There is a whole town to explore and what doesn't fit on the home lot is definitely on a community lot.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Scholar
#7 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 4:44 PM
Erm... I think that if the OP needs a 128x128 lot just to fit in a driveway s/he needs to learn how to build much more effectively and efficiently.

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#8 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 7:39 PM
I don't get it either. There are TONS of nice, realistic houses on this site alone that do not even come CLOSE to being 128x128. I'm not saying build mode shouldn't be well done, but, geez, I hardly ever use anything higher than a 30x30 lot for houses.
Test Subject
#9 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 9:38 PM
Agree, build mode needs to be very well done. But creation of the actual characters (genes and modifications that can be done to the sims) is really important to a majority of sim players ( I just assume). Since all creations of the player (and the life of) your own unique characters is like the point of the game. Well for me it is. Just wanted to toss that thought out there after reading initial post. Not to take everyone off of where the topic is headed. I guess I just wanted to say you can't forget all the other aspects of the game.

Lab Assistant
#10 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TiikkiSquid
Agree, build mode needs to be very well done. But creation of the actual characters (genes and modifications that can be done to the sims) is really important to a majority of sim players ( I just assume). Since all creations of the player (and the life of) your own unique characters is like the point of the game. Well for me it is. Just wanted to toss that thought out there after reading initial post. Not to take everyone off of where the topic is headed. I guess I just wanted to say you can't forget all the other aspects of the game.

Agreed. It is called, The Sims after all. Building is important and should be well done, but so should the other important aspects.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 2nd Feb 2014 at 10:51 AM
Probably same as SimCity 2013 too big lot can cause game lag.
Maybe 64bit binary can solve this problem ?

I want no floor limit or skyscraper that can see "inside" every floor.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 2nd Feb 2014 at 5:50 PM
I agree with the opening post, plus vector walls -- or at least point-to-point walls -- and greater floor counts as commented in the post above. I find the build mode to be much more important than the pixel-doll Sims aspect of the game. To me, Sims are interesting in how they react and use the environment in which they dwell, and yes it's also entertaining to see them interact with each other, but I really spend more time in-game building, renovating and decorating than nudging their Sim-lives.

A farm doesn't fit inside a 64x64 lot. I had to place two lots in a row for that, which is a compromise. Estates don't fit in a single large lot either, no matter how miniaturized they're portrayed; the gardens alone would eat all the space. Residential buildings for an urban or metropolitan environment don't fit either, although it's more the fault of the ridiculous five-story limit than too litle available area for larger flats.

As I've stated a few times before, I was hoping for an evolution in the tools available for Sims creation, for building and for decorating. Unfortunately it seems we'll get improvements and tweaks. Some are wellcome, others look far too limiting.
Theorist
#13 Old 2nd Feb 2014 at 7:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by geerchsim88
As I've stated a few times before, I was hoping for an evolution in the tools available for Sims creation, for building and for decorating. Unfortunately it seems we'll get improvements and tweaks. Some are wellcome, others look far too limiting.

This. I know their focus was on making things easier and they love that modular thing they've come up with but I wonder what they had to compromise on? I guess we'll find out. But I think the Sims 4 build mode pales in comparison to the EQ Landmark one. It's probably not a fair comparison but I was genuinely excited seeing their build mode where as with TS4 it was just a few "well that's nice" moments and that was it. But we haven't seen pools, basements, ponds, terrain tools or anything like that yet so like with everything else I'm still hoping for the best and waiting to hear more.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 2nd Feb 2014 at 8:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Genetics can't be modded. That's all.

Everything can be modded. Both awesome and twallan's mods change genetics. Even build mode coud be modded even though who has time or energy for such a huge project?

I think being able to add a foundation after building is huge. For me that is as big as being able to drag a wall.
Test Subject
#15 Old 2nd Feb 2014 at 10:45 PM
I think instead of forcing you to have a set lot size you should be able to choose how big it is. and also be able to place those lots ANYWHERE
I hope that doors and stuff can go right next to each other, I remember trying to build a replica of the house I used to live in . I built a tiny little hallway 2 by 3 i think, I wanted to build 3 doors, two directly across from one another and one in the middle of the two and i couldn't do it even with cheat code

I absolutely agree with you about the stairs its insane that we are 3 generations in and we cant build L shaped stairs with out a lot of hard work and cheating.

And omgosh half walls... not half walls in height but like half of a grid square if that makes any sense...

Personally all I really do in sims is build and every time I build I am forever frustrated at how hard it actually is to customise houses. Which of course without CAST will become even harder once again.

I will Edit my post if i think of more... no doubt i will XD
Mad Poster
#16 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 5:00 AM
The changed I'd love to have in build mode are
- being able to place a lot just next to another one
- being able to build a wall just at the edge of the lot (remove the 1 tile restriction)
Combine these and you can build row houses easily.

I love that we got the possibility to move a house around if the new lot is bigger than the old one but I want something like that but in the opposite direction. Being able to slice away land so I can turn a big lot to a smaller one.

- Being able to build walls on half a square.

And a bonus
- Have the game understand where the walls are so if I put a plant next to a wall, it will cut away the branches that currently go inside the house.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 11:18 AM
I don't have the Sims 3, so maybe some of my wants are available in that, but what I'd like to see/things I've seen that I like;

*The ability to add basements will be amazingly useful
*The ability to have differing heights of floors will also be REALLY good. I love to build historical houses, and the first floor should be much taller than the ground/upper floors
*Being able to move the whole house within the lot will be useful

Things I'd like to see;
*Ability to build terraces, and buy-able flats. Flats above shops too. Basically I don't like the American-suburban feel that the Sims has by default.
*Better staircases
*I'd like smaller 'squares' if possible
*Windows and doors should all be able to sit centred between 2 squares. Windows should be moveable up-and-down too
*I want the game to ship with a decent collection of historical building items - I shouldn't really have to download basic items like sash windows or Georgian doors. This should include things like pilasters, fireplaces, skirting boards etc.
*While we're on it, I just realised that the modern building stuff I tend to use is also CC, so a decent set of that would be good too!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 7th Feb 2014 at 11:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54

Yes you do. Of course I will never have a 64x64meter lot myself, but the sims is about building your dream house. And your sims can easily become a millionaire. I want some nature around my house, if you wanna make mansion you need bigger lots. No mansion is on a 64x64 lot.

Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
I don't know what the OP is talking about. I build large, ample, fully furnished with 2 car garages (or larger), long driveways, plenty of room for landscaping, pool, greenhouse and with 5 bedrooms, 4 bath. All on a 40x40. Now I must admit my bedrooms are no larger than 7x8 and I make the kitchen like a chef's kitchen with diningrooms able to hold 2- 3 tile dining tables, but I think it's roomy enough and my sims move well in them. I don't see the use of having more than that on a residential lot in Sims 3. There is a whole town to explore and what doesn't fit on the home lot is definitely on a community lot.

A home that isn't so close to the street. We have fences and gates for a reason. It's nice if it's a road from the front gate to the front porch where a big fountain is in the middle with behind it a mansion. You need some privacy, or even some ponds.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 7th Feb 2014 at 11:45 AM
-Oops, double post, meant to edit, this can be deleted-