Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#626 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 2:12 AM
Peni hit the ground with the swatch in buy mode and it takes away the grid lines
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#627 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 2:13 AM
Tab 3 dots or swatch tool Peni. Life stories had some nice items, shame they didn't port them over. I'm glad that's all it was, for a moment I thought AGS had done a number on your game.

I will update tables and such its just I did too much yesterday and my finger tips literally hurt. So don't worry I know about scores, entries etc.

@Sweet Mystre I gave the judges some general guidelines. You can view the majority of those under scoring on the first page. All three have judged before so I knew they wouldn't need too much help figuring things out.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#628 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 2:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
More seriously, I'm finding that the Tab-R trick is not getting rid of the grid lines. Any suggestions?

I did not know about that trick, so I never used it. What i always do though, is going into build mode and click on shovel, then terrain paint tool. Just this immediately gets rid of grid. Then I TAB and start taking pictures. It will remain gridless until I exit TAB mode and click anything else. So if need be, I repeat. You see no grid on ma pictures.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Instructor
#629 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 2:19 AM
For me, pressing the G key gets rid of the grid lines. They come back the next time you click anywhere on the UI though.
Scholar
#630 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 2:21 AM
@Peni Griffin I didn’t know you were going for no CC (you must’ve mentioned it so I probably missed it), otherwise I would’ve mentioned that the shell ceiling tile is from CS (I have them in the Catalog/Bins folder in the game files so it doesn’t show the CC star in my game, but it’s easy enough to disable [I just change the extension from .package to .packag before opening the contest save], but I’m really familiar with things from CS so I can recognise most of them, but probably not all; and I would have a lot of trouble with Life Stories because the objects don’t stand out as much as those from CS, and I don’t have any walls and floors from it [does it have any that aren’t in TS2? I never played it, I only played CS]). If you’re going for no CC in the next round too, I’ll mention if I notice something from CS

Oh and to have pictures without the grid without sims on the lot I just go into game settings.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#631 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 2:26 AM
Thank you Voelle that's nice of you. Peni if I had noticed your floor before judging I also would of said something but I was so busy that I only glanced over the entries before then.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#632 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 2:42 AM
Okay, good, the swatch tool trick worked. Thanks for all the suggestions - if one thing doesn't do the job, something else will!

I'll have to sleep on whether to swallow the CC pill or not. I've been asked to upload it, and that copy will have to be CC free, because I don't want to track down where I got things; so the AGS version won't be wasted one way or another. Next round, there'll be none for sure. That's a goal now - at least one round, to get the no-CC bonus!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#633 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 3:06 AM
I did wonder why I lost a point for playability? What was wrong?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#634 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 3:18 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 24th Apr 2017 at 3:38 AM.
yavannatw I can't be sure as that was the judges decision but if your house has too much space you may have lost it for making the sim walk further than they need to. While not enough space is an obvious issue too much space can be seen that way as well. I think its that as I was just suggesting on a moderation I did last night on a lot in the queue that I gave them less on playability for using too large a space. It's one of the things we look for in lots sent to the queue.

Also, this wasn't said, but its okay to use Humbles computer. This foundation is large and the budget limited and this is a beginners contest. So feel free to use it and save the money on a computer for plants or deco or something.

~Call me Jo~
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#635 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 4:17 AM
A few people will be getting amended scores.

chisanaAoi Requirements 5
Playability 4 (no kitchen sink)
Wants 4 (no changing table)

Gummi

Requirements 5 (already fixed)

Peni Requirements 5

Scottiedoag Requirements 5

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#636 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 4:19 AM
Wait, what? How would I get more points?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#637 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 4:28 AM
One of the judges got confused over requirements and wants. So long as you have each item listed you will get a 5 for requirements.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#638 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 5:21 AM
Default Thanks to the judges
I just wanted to thank the judges for their comments. I hope they will help me in the future.
Roofs are the bane of my life and this was the first one where I didn't use autoroof. I need to play with the roofs more.
I never even thought of a changing table as my sims always compost their nappies so that made me think about things differently.
I've never been able to use terrain paints properly in 2. Sims 3 is fine as I can easily change the harshness of the brush and therefore blend various paints but in 2 I always end up with hideous blobs of colour that look out of place. I need to chase down a tutorial on using them correctly!
@joandsarah77 you said a fort could be used for the Lambert boys. By that do you mean a construction built using columns and/or that foundation that I've forgotten the name of or did you mean something else? Thanks.
Scottiedoag
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#639 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 5:46 AM
You are allowed to build it however you like, just do not attach it in any way to the house.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#640 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 5:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You are allowed to build it however you like, just do not attach it in any way to the house.

Please, Why not?

If there isn't a foundation but a wall with CFE- then it's not editing the foundation... And my question of being able to extend over the foundation on the 2nd floor (for a balcony/extended room) doesn't seem to have been answered.
Lab Assistant
#641 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 5:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77

Thanks! Now to go and carry on battling to get my game to work. I have my lot about half built and now it is crashing. I think it must be cc related so I'm working my way through to find the culprit.
Scottiedoag
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#642 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 5:55 AM
Peni, the problem with TAB + R is that it's actually R + TAB. R is the hotkey for the recolor / swatch tool, and it must be pressed before hitting tab. I saw that mistake when it was first mentioned but figured you'd try both ways when the first way didn't work. Sorry. Going into the ground cover tab also gets rid of the grid lines, as does the other things mentioned.

Jo, super hugs for you. :lovestruc Getting through the first round is where you really earn the 'herding cats' badge. This one has been no easy cake walk. Welcome to the club, officially.

I have seem to have built my own hell. I CANNOT get a floor plan that looks remotely decent.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#643 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 6:06 AM
Phae, I certainly do feel that way today.

@Sweet Mystre I was answering scottiedoag who said they planned to use decking/foundation. Yes you may use a CFE wall, and attach it to the house. Just make it clear that it is CFE wall.

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#644 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 6:14 AM
@joandsarah77 Why did I get a 3 for Wants from Judge 1? Can you review my house if you get a spare moment. There is a changing table, crib and a potty. Was something else required for a "small nursery"? I'm not bothered, just curious so I know for the next time I make one. Thank you.
Mad Poster
#645 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 6:33 AM
That is a fair question.
I actually am going to ask a question too: I lost .5 for playability, and I would just like to know why (Judge 1) - because I am 100% sure that everything in my lot works.
Top Secret Researcher
#646 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 6:50 AM
Yeah I didn't know playability included too much space. To me playability means routing issues. In a small house getting from a to b really does not take long! Beginner, will learn. About to go into second build for like the 100th time to see what I can get rid of to afford a curtain. I don't have time to get sims to make them.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#647 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 7:25 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 24th Apr 2017 at 7:35 AM.
I have sent a message to judge 1 for you both.

Play Along comments posted. Sorry you guys don't get anything flasher. I'm tired.

~Call me Jo~
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#648 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 7:35 AM
In my efforts to find one floor plan that doesn't look like suck, I've decided that each apartment will just have it's own floor plan. I accidentally ended up with that when I'd made the first one, hated it, and moved up a floor to 'start over'. Still on budget though! (Haven't added in my curtains yet! )
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#649 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 7:36 AM
I find that often helps with stacked apartment units. Keep the same decoration but adjust the floor plan.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#650 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 7:45 AM
Quick question: What is a CFE wall?

I also want to thank the judges for being very constructive in their criticism. That takes a lot more time and effort than just handing out marks and is very helpful. I feel fairly judged, and I hope I learned some things, not only from my judgement but also other peoples, and can improve on them for round 2!

Some things are obviously just personal taste. I also found the lack of curtains in quite a few contestant lots interesting. I, for one, hate how dark curtains make a room in real live, so I'm forever fighting with my boyfriend about the paper blinds being closed (so nobody can see inside) or open (so I can see outside). In Sims, my houses usually contain very few non functional things, and curtains are one of them. I also have to remember to actually put in lights for the contest, I usually play without them. As I always play with walls down, I don't notice the fridge in front of the window but I will try to mind it in future rounds. The sink in the second bathroom got lost when I noticed I had forgotten the kitchen sink. My sims never wash their hands, anyways (how clean do they have to be?), but they do wash their dishes.
Judge 3, you are absolutely right about the pictures. I changed the garden later on and did not retake all the pictures. I should have done so, and will do so in the next round

Page 26 of 106