Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#51 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 11:04 AM
What Can I Do?!
I have the same problem!!!! But it first started when I installed Showtime (yesterday, second day of playing), I run an iMac. Just a minute after a file is loaded the game closes and this comes up "Unhandled Page Fault on read access to 0x00000 at address 0x00ce2lb9
Do you wish to debug?" Yes or No, Ive clicked on both, both end my game!!!!Is this problem just for mac? What can I do?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 21st Jun 2012 at 11:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by spotlight-shure
About halfway through loading my town, i get an error that says:
Exception Raised
Unhandled Page Fault on read access to 0x00000 at address 0x00ce2lb9
Do you wish to debug?
Yes or No

I've clicked both, both end my game.

I've looked everywhere for an answer.
I'm running a macbook pro. I have all min. requirements for the game.
I never had this problem before installing Generations.
I just want to play dammnit, for the amount of money i've spent.

Can anyone help?

The same thing keeps happening to me right after I installed generation. I would be able to play, for an hour, and then (while i'm in the creating a family room mostly) the game would shut down on me. Someone said that after they installed another sims 3 game it went away, i haven't tried it yet, but maybe that's the issue.
Test Subject
#53 Old 24th Jul 2012 at 4:43 PM
Default I think i no the problem
you know on some of the downloads for CC (custom content) it says bla bla bla "use this download at your own risk" i think it's just some content that is causing the problem. i have a macbook pro and apart from the occasional random shutdown of the game mine runs fine..... (btw the occasional shutdown is normal) but occurs less if you keep your laptop on a hard surface instead of something like a bed or sofa that will make it overheat like crazy !!! I only get the error message after certain downloads (most probably dodgy ones) ..... i downloaded a LA City world and it loads up to a certain point then comes up with the error message.... the same for a certain rug i downloaded.
Field Researcher
#54 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 3:58 AM
Has anyone ever actually looked for that file that's raising the error? I have, it's a .plist file. Has anyone tried dumping the plist?
(if anyone was curious, deleting that file in the error code doesn't work. It regenerates itself =P )
In the Arena
retired moderator
#55 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 4:27 AM
What file?
This error names a file? I thought it is a memory address?
Field Researcher
#56 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 5:09 AM Last edited by ellacharm3d : 27th Jul 2012 at 2:30 PM. Reason: Merged posts: 3917099, 3917135
Don't know, I remember finding the exact "00028383x282blah blah" somewhere in my sims folder (can't remember if it was in documents or applications) and it was a .plist file.
Let me try to find it

edit: still trying to find it. i think what i did was go into spotlight and search for that 0000blah blah blah. my 000crap was different from others posting in this page so i don't know what to search for. at one point i took a screen shot of my exception error, but i did an erase and install today in preparation for mountain lion so a few of my files are out of place since i put them back. i'll keep searching though

----
ok, i guess i was misremembering. this is what i found:
what i did was go into finder and search "0x00000000" it came up with over 7,000 matches (all unrelated to anything..) and i sorted them in finder by kind. under documents, i found 7 files in here related to the sims, all with similar names. the extension: home folder>documents>electronic arts>the sims 3>
and then files with names like this: xcpt "user name"-12-06-11 22.16.44.txt (obviously with dates)
they appear to be recordings of when the error was raised. if you open the txt file, there is a lot of information. i'm not much of one to interpret these elaborate text files, has anyone else tried reading them to see if there is any insight in them as to what might be causing this? what is very strange is that in all of mine it says
"EA_PLATFORM: Windows on X86
OS name: Windows XP
OS version number: 5.1.2600
OS service pack: Service Pack 2"
not sure about you guys, but i thought i was running this on a mac! and if it was on a pc it probably wouldn't be XP!! the entire txt file refers to files that would be on a windows computer, actually. don't know if that's really at all relevant, but i just found it strange..
if it's easier, i'll go ahead and post the entire contents of one of these txt files. i have no idea where i thought i saw plist, but i could have sworn i did. i guess maybe i was confused? =/ i don't know.
this seems like undiscovered territory that we're getting into, so i hope someone can get something from these txt files

here we go (please no one mark this as spam!):
(mod edit sorry, can't resist. ~ella)

edit: some more info. i was googling exception raised errors in general (sadly, most often when this error comes up, it's when running a game so there's not much info about it) but, in regards to the whole windows thing in the text file, i found someone who posted this in a forum:
"Sims 3: Pets is a PC game using a Cider Wrapper (Basically a PC emulator).
EA does this with a lot of their Mac titles, these games are notoriously buggy, and TBH not much better on PC, EA is an evil company"
i can say i agree with him on that last statement =P anyway, that explains why it talks about windows so much in that text file. interesting to learn that basically the sims runs like an emulator. didn't know that. it would explain why we have so many issues on the mac side, and why we never get fixes from EA. they probably have no idea how to even begin to fix our issues. unfortunately, this guy had no insight to offer on our problem
Field Researcher
#57 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 9:21 AM
ah HA!! has anyone tried deleting these files?

here's how i got to them: open finder and click the "go" menu. if your'e running an os before lion, click on library. if you're running lion or later, hit the option key and then click on the library folder that has now appeared. once there, go to preferences. (note: this is NOT the library folder under macintosh HD) now, you'll have to scroll through a ton of files and REALLY use your eyes to find these. i don't know a lot about plist files, but if these are like other plist files in the preferences folder, they should regenerate themselves. to be on the safe side in case anything went horribly horribly wrong, i'd copy them to another folder in case you need to replace them. of course, i would make a copy of my game folder before doing this as well. i would test it out myself, but recently i've been seeing the error less frequently and inconsistently. also, i just updated to mountain lion and so far, i haven't seen this error yet and i don't want to jinx it! does anyone know if doing this might possibly fix this/have anything to do with the error? i know that sometimes if an application is having some issues, sometimes deleting these plist files in preferences can reset the preferences for the application and resolve the issue
Screenshots
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#58 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 10:03 AM
These files in Documents are the game's usual crash logs. They're the same on both Mac and PC. If you've got access to a PC you can try to read them with the CrashLogAnalyzer tool that's available here somewhere. But even this tool won't tell you too much. Some users on the official forum did that and CLA reported that their crashes were due to DEP, something that should actually not be a MacOS issue, afaik.
But, as you found out, Sims 3 is not really a Mac application but runs as WindowsXP inside the wrapper called Cider. This is some sort of translator, or whatever you want to call it, that makes Windows commands readable by MacOS. It's not evil per se, but in the case of most ciderised games just really badly done.
I had come across a site where someone had made their own wrapper based on Cider and the results were that the game they tested ran almost as well as the PC version and in any case better than the Cider version that came with the disc. I can't find the link anymore but I guess it would not be allowed to post this here anyway.

But this is an interesting article on PC vs. Cider games.
http://mattgadient.com/2011/03/14/d...ge-2-mac-vs-pc/
In the Arena
retired moderator
#59 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 2:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iheartcowcapoos
ah HA!! has anyone tried deleting these files?
Do you mean you haven't done the suggestions in post#39? Sometimes I feel invisible.

If you can't find them, it's because on Lion they are hidden (Option/ALT key(?) to unhide). Might be the same on Mountain Lion...so next time you try let us know.
Field Researcher
#60 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 4:40 PM Last edited by iheartcowcapoos : 27th Jul 2012 at 4:52 PM.
hmm... and it appears that i even posted after 39 and was post 40... how very interesting.. this might be due to the fact that i didn't read the rest of the posts on this forum. i didn't even realize i commented on it in the past lol (probably because i wrote that post in a blind rage) and apparently i did try deleting the preference files.. wow do i feel silly! in this case, sorry to get everyone's hopes up and taking us in circles! i thought we were on to something for a while.

at any rate, realizing i commented on it in the past, i will offer what made the error less frequent for me. previously, my game wouldn't run and the exception raised error would come up after the loading screen every time. i know no one likes doing this, but i uninstalled and reinstalled all of my games. now, no one is going to want to hear this but i had to delete my saved games. i tried putting them back multiple times hoping that they would work, but each time they corrupted the game again and i got the error. i uninstalled and reinstalled close to 5 times (it was a pain). so i started all over again with a new game. the error still happened, but at least i could play. it wouldn't happen until after a while of game play. i learned that the more often i saved, the less often i saw the error. don't know if that is just specific to my game. i noticed that if i went longer than 10 minutes without saving i would get the error. so i tried to save once every 10 minutes and i could play longer without getting the error. that was back in january. i don't know what's changed since then, but the error doesn't pop up nearly as often, despite how many times i save, and i found it is most often provoked by being in CAS too long, or when editing the town for long periods of time. sometimes, however, it just decides to pop up when i'm minding my own business =P
if anyone was curious, like me, i tried running my "corrupt" saved game on TS3 on my windows partition. the game still wouldn't let me play. whatever this error is, it corrupts your saved game and makes it completely unplayable (in the worst case scenario where you can't even get your game to open without having the error raised)
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 10:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharm3d
I encountered this for the first time today after patching to 1.29.

Did the standard troubleshooting of Repairing Permissions, removing caches, and refreshing Preferences, and it worked.

It actually works after the first thing I did - that of Repairing Permissions - but I did the rest just to be thorough.

Here's the full paths. If you don't have some, that's fine just continue on to the next.
  1. repair permissions
    • /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, "Repair Permissions"
  2. delete preferences
    • /Users/<Username>/Library/Preferences/The Sims 3 Preferences folder
  3. delete caches:
    • <diskname>/Library/Caches/<anything with Sims 3 in it>
    • /Users/<Username>/Library/Caches/<anything with Sims 3 in it>

Hi there,

I'm following your suggested steps, currently repairing, never done it before and hoping I did it right, now doing No 2 but wanted to ask do I delete the whole of the Sims 3 Preferences folder or just whats inside it or only specific things in the folder?

Thanks,

Sinniti

Also, this error occurred with No CC installed with just the base game, generations and pets. It started happening after I made a new family in create a sim and moved them onto a vacant lot, so none of the usual CC issues would have caused my error.

Life is a curious game..
Field Researcher
#62 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 3:58 PM

has anyone tried checking the crash log? i have only had this error appear once since i reinstalled my os so i don't have much to go off of in my crash log. the only one i found that i think may be related to the sims was "storeagent" the error appeared when i was trying to patch the game so this might be possible?
if you don't know how to check the crash log, you can go here and once you find a crash log that may look like it's related to the sims, there is also a link on that page to help you decipher what is said in the crash log. if you find something, please post the contents of the log here because i'll be very interested to see what it says.

edit: i just looked up what storeagent was and it appears to be related to the mac app store, so if you see that in your crash log, just ignore it
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 16th Sep 2012 at 2:23 AM Last edited by TammyLin Saphir : 19th Sep 2012 at 2:58 AM.
Hi people !
I am having this debug error again. It happened to me before, but since I got rid of my outdated mods and most of my .package CC, it was working fine, especially since I patched, installed Showtime and Supernatural last week.
But, it's here again !! The game is quitting in multiple situations, for no visible reasons.

I don't really know how my computer works because I am a Mac noob, plus I have a hard time trying to understand all the possible solutions given here because english is not my native language...

I have checked my mods, updated all or removed those I suspected outdated, and repaired the permissions...

Question : Could it be my .sims3pack CC that causing all that ? Because I have plenty, and sorting out those is a real pain in the ass !

EDIT: The last debug error was "0x80000003 at address 0x005Bac96"
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 23rd Sep 2012 at 3:32 AM
Okay, I tried to refresh the user folder, but now, most of my package CC stopped working (I moved the Mods folder back to the Sims 3 fodler after refreshing it). And I don't know why, my skins, CC, sliders aren't working anymore, but some core/non-core mods do.
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 29th Sep 2012 at 4:11 AM
I still have this problem, and I didn't find a solution yet. All help is very very welcome !!
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 30th Nov 2012 at 9:57 PM
Even though this forum hasn't been commented on in a few months, i'm still more than determined to figure this out. I get the error every single time I play, at random times. I can't figure out what triggers it, because i've tried games completely vanilla and a new save and it still happens. I'm about to spend $2,000 for a new computer because this problem is only on Mac, so i'm investing in a gaming computer for more reasons than just Sims. Has anyone had any updates on possible solutions?
Test Subject
#67 Old 12th Dec 2012 at 5:02 AM
Hey y'all, possible solution here?

I started experiencing the exception raised issue quite some time ago (I can't remember when), but it got to the point with seasons where I couldn't even play my game for more than a few minutes at a time, if that. I did some research, did a complete uninstall of my game and then reinstalled everything, one at a time, making sure that each game was fully patched before I installed the next one. I tried playing again without any cc. This still did not work.

It seems that it is certainly (at least in my case) a problem with cider, because when i stopped searching for "sims 3 exception raised" and instead searched for "exception raised", I discovered that there are a lot of EA games that are having this same problem! So I tried to see if I could see possible solutions for cider. These are the steps that are working - so far!! Note that I am using Lion with a AMD Radeon HD 6490M graphics card.

--Open disk utility and repair disk permissions
--download xQuartz 2.7.4 and install it

I have found in my research that xQuartz helps cider work somehow. (I'm a techie but not that big of one ahahha!) So far, I've been able to play for about an hour now with no exception being raised. Hopefully this will continue as I slowly add in my cc again and keep playing for longer periods of time. I hope this helps someone else, too!
Test Subject
#68 Old 14th Dec 2012 at 5:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dishrag1313
Hey y'all, possible solution here?

I started experiencing the exception raised issue quite some time ago (I can't remember when), but it got to the point with seasons where I couldn't even play my game for more than a few minutes at a time, if that. I did some research, did a complete uninstall of my game and then reinstalled everything, one at a time, making sure that each game was fully patched before I installed the next one. I tried playing again without any cc. This still did not work.

It seems that it is certainly (at least in my case) a problem with cider, because when i stopped searching for "sims 3 exception raised" and instead searched for "exception raised", I discovered that there are a lot of EA games that are having this same problem! So I tried to see if I could see possible solutions for cider. These are the steps that are working - so far!! Note that I am using Lion with a AMD Radeon HD 6490M graphics card.

--Open disk utility and repair disk permissions
--download xQuartz 2.7.4 and install it

I have found in my research that xQuartz helps cider work somehow. (I'm a techie but not that big of one ahahha!) So far, I've been able to play for about an hour now with no exception being raised. Hopefully this will continue as I slowly add in my cc again and keep playing for longer periods of time. I hope this helps someone else, too!

I will try this and edit in the results later. Also been having exception raised errors since generations. however on this macbook, i had to uninstall and reinstall this base game about 10 times just to get it to start with no mods, cc of any kind, not sure if that has anything to do with maybe it was a problem with my computer or the game yet.
Test Subject
#69 Old 17th Dec 2012 at 10:30 PM
Well, coming from someone who got the debug error every time I go into CAS, within 10 minutes of gameplay or any time i went to a community lot with other sims, the XQuartz worked! I haven't gotten an error at all, the game runs smoother and the game doesnt crash for no reason without error anymore either! Download XQuartz and i think your problems will be solved.
Field Researcher
#70 Old 9th Jan 2013 at 6:14 AM Last edited by iheartcowcapoos : 9th Jan 2013 at 6:29 AM.
i made a small sort of piggy-back discovery. my game is now unplayable (again) due to this issue. it wont even load.
anyway, i've been trying random things to get it to at least boot and i've been continuing my research. it's fairly obvious to me that the main issue here lies with cider.
a lot of other people (sims users and other EA mac users) have pointed to the fact that cider only utilizes 2 GB of RAM, when most of us have more than that (i have 8)

i was poking about my computer, interested in this RAM thing, and i brought up system profiler and looked at the "memory" section. here is my discovery: i noticed that my sticks of RAM are serialized, and that the serialization number of both sticks match the exception raised error that i am getting
"0x00000000" are the serializations for my RAM sticks.
when i bring up the "exception raised" file in text edit, it reads "type: ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000000"
this would explain why everyone's exception raised errors read different numbers, because their RAM sticks are likely serialized differently.
i wish there was a way to force cider to access more than 2 gigs. i was reading an online article from when cider was first announced/released in 2006, and even then it only allowed for 2 GB of RAM. seriously? 6 years later and we couldn't have upgraded that?

anyway, i'm still hoping that posting all of this discovered information will help someone more technically savvy than me find a solution. i'm off to continue to try different things to see if i can make the game work. haven't tried xquartz yet, but i will report my findings when i do.

EDIT: while poking about, i realized i already have xquartz 2.7.4 installed, so obviously it's not working for me because my game won't load the neighborhood.
what's interesting is that my fans would never kick in until after actually playing the game for a little while, meaning my computer was never really working that hard until then. now, every time i try to run the game, the fans kick in when trying to load the neighborhood, and then crashes. whether or not this is related is beyond me
Test Subject
#71 Old 9th Jan 2013 at 8:45 PM
I've tried a few things here but nothing works and today it actually started to get really weird. Yesterday it wasn't that bad, I downloaded a few new mods (new as in compatible with Seasons). Let me say a week ago it wasn't that much I could easily play hours and hours, but today it crashes... the moment I start up. Instant crash.
I really wondering what the problem is. (The Xquartz I don't use it since that one makes Gimp crash or not work properly, so I actually don't recommend it to people with Mac).
Field Researcher
#72 Old 9th Jan 2013 at 9:05 PM
I still don't know what's causing this stupid issue, but I was able to get my game to work again (still get the error, but not every time I try to launch the game).
My saved game, or neighborhood, had become corrupt, as I could still launch a different save game and not get the error before the neighborhood loaded. I fixed my saved game by following THESE DIRECTIONS
Everything is located in the same area for mac users.
Someone else posted a great idea to "save as" your game, and to save 2 separate files. I.e. "Appaloosa plains" and "Appaloosa plains 2"
That way you always have a second back up to restore from in case your saved game becomes corrupt again.
I know this doesn't fix the issue, but hopefully it will help those who have unplayable games be able to return to their legacy families again.

I'm still determined to find a permanent solution to this problem though
Test Subject
#73 Old 12th Jan 2013 at 10:26 AM
Xquartz isn't working for me, can anybody post a step-by-step tutorial on how to run it with the sims so I can see if I'm doing anything wrong?

EA have apparently announced in the cases of some people spamming their help desk that they are working on the cider issue but until then sims mac users will just have to wait. They were apparently going to put it in a patch, but that's all I've been able to work out after some googling.

Apparently the crash has started happening to MAC users after supernatural and seasons were brought in, some people have said that the game runs better without supernatural and seasons, but I don't think we should have to give up an expansion (particually two awesome ones) just so our games don't crash.
Test Subject
#74 Old 12th Jan 2013 at 3:57 PM
So I tried again with mods, still the games fails on me (without mods it does work, but you all know that with mods it's lots and lots more fun.)

So I went into the cider of my game and this is the result.

MacBook-Pro-of-USERNAME:~ USERNAME$ /Applications/The\ Sims\ 3.localized/The\ Sims3.app/Contents/MacOS/cider ; exit;
err:reg:Nt_openConfigW could not retrieve the module file name (reason: 'bad module')
err:reg:Nt_openConfigW could not retrieve the module file name (reason: 'bad module')
err:fixup:PE_fixup_imports No implementation for KERNEL32.dll.486(GetUserGeoID) imported from C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TSLHost.dll, setting to 0xdeadbeef
err:fixup:PE_fixup_imports No implementation for KERNEL32.dll.363(GetGeoInfoA) imported from C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TSLHost.dll, setting to 0xdeadbeef
err:fixup:PE_fixup_imports No implementation for iphlpapi.dll.27(GetAdaptersAddresses) imported from C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TSLHost.dll, setting to 0xdeadbeef
err:wave_audiodevice:audio_device_stereo_channels device 258 failed to get preferred stereo channels (0x77686f3f)
err:wave_audiodevice:audio_device_channel_volume_writable device 258 failed to get volume writable (0x77686f3f)
err:wave_audiodevice:audio_device_format failed to get device 258 format inputChannel: 0 (0x77686f3f)
err:wave_audiodevice:audio_device_format failed to get device 260 format inputChannel: 1 (0x77686f3f)
fixme::__clean_type_info_names_internal stub! {addr = 104DC384}
logout

[Proces completed]

Maybe this info can help to find the bug.
I'm not very good with Macs to solve this so.
Field Researcher
#75 Old 12th Jan 2013 at 11:48 PM
^^^^ I found that exact same thing (roughly) when I searched the system log after the crash would happen.

Also, this issue has been happening for mac users since the base game. You can go back on the official forums to 2009 when it was originally posted about. Maybe over the last 3 years we've finally complained enought for those idiots to do something about it. My error started showing up when I installed pets.

Edit: I realize my post showed up on the next page so the arrows don't point to the post above like I thought it would. So just look at the last comment on the previous page...
Page 3 of 5