Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jan 2008 at 9:10 AM
I need some techie help....
Since I will not be able to outright purchase a brand spanking new machine, I do have a desktop in storage. I have some things that need to be updated so I can play the game like I want to and this is the list of things that I know I need but the problem is, I do not have th pc infront of me so I do not remember all of the system spec but I do know that it has an AGP slot .

It also has:

Compaq Presario AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3000+

1.81 GHz, 192 MB of RAM (Needs updating)

I am also looking for a 500 GB hard-drive...is Western Digital a good one? I have no idea which ones go get by brand but I do know how much space I want, lol.

Here are the two graphics cards I've been looking at:

ATI & NVidia GeForce (EVGA) 7600 GT and I am wondering could someone tell me which one of these are the best as well. Soon, hopefully I will be able to be happy again with my cherished sims, lol. I haven't simmed in damn near 4 months and I am about to loose my freaking mind....

If these are not good cards, can someone here give their opinion? Remember, I have an ATI Slot which is very limited .....

I have tried, but have failed. What else is there for me do do?
Advertisement
shiny!
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Jan 2008 at 9:33 PM
First off, your ram is WAY too low to play TS2. 512mb is the minimum, but I would reccomend installing a gig. Secondly, there's no way such a weak overall machine has a PSU which will support either of your graphics card options, so you'll have to update that as well. The processor also is quite low, but not too low to play according to EA minimums.. just not sure how negatively it will effect performance because I've never known anyone to attempt to play that game on such a weak processor. Ideally you should have at least a 2ghz. All things considered, I really wouldn’t put anymore money into such an outdated machine..

Both cards should play TS2 well. x1950gt is way faster though.

WD is a very good brand. It's my personal favorite. The other one people seem to like is Seagate but I have not had the best of luck with them, especially not compared to my WD drives.

Did you not end up getting this? http://forums.sims2community.com/sh...478#post1064478
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Jan 2008 at 1:32 AM
Thanks Callistra! I replaced the PSU earlier last year to 450 watts which I forgot to mention , lol. I will also be updating the RAM...so it can run a little bit better / faster...I must admit, I have thought about replacing the whole pc with a cheaper one until I can afford to get the one I was suppose to have gotten but I really don't know. My spending limit has changed until futher notice from 1,000 to 400 which really sucks! The thing that actually made sense was that I have a pc already and I just want to play my game...I'm having some serious withdrawals and that might be messing with my decision :/.

When I first got that machine, I installed all of the ep's that I had at that time (base upto Pets) and the walls were flashing red. I guess I'm going to see can I find a cheaper pc at walmart or somewhere ... I would wait but that would mean that I will not be able to play my game for another 2 months! That just really sucks!

Thanks Again....Now, I really have a choice to make

shiny!
retired moderator
#4 Old 12th Jan 2008 at 2:37 AM
Ouch $400 is small.. $550ish I could reccomend something but $400.. maybe you should just upgrade what you have..

Okay so..
GPU - $130
RAM - maybe $50 ? I dunno what kind your computer needs..
Does your computer support SATA? This one is PLENTY huge: http://westerndigital.com/en/produc...asp?DriveID=298

Okay so that's not even up to $300 yet.. I mean assuming your mobo supports it you could even upgrade your processor.. since you already have the 450w psu that wouldn't need upgrading.. we could maybe upgrade your computer for under $400
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 12th Jan 2008 at 4:34 AM
Could you give us the Model Number of your Compaq Presario? It would help because then we'd see whats compatible with your PCs Motherboard
shiny!
retired moderator
#6 Old 12th Jan 2008 at 3:31 PM
Another option you have is by looking in your local paper, craig's list or ebay for a used machine. The only problem with that of course is warranty and you are always taking a risk. But you can get some fantastic deals sometimes that way. Just depends on whatever you feel comfortable with.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Jan 2008 at 5:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tim_L
Could you give us the Model Number of your Compaq Presario? It would help because then we'd see whats compatible with your PCs Motherboard

I wish I could Tim_L but I can't because this pc is in storage 200 miles away . I will not have it in my possession maybe 2 - 4 weeks from today. When we moved, I made the biggest mistake of my life leaving that machine behind but my car was over packed with necessities....

Quote: Originally posted by callistra
Another option you have is by looking in your local paper, craig's list or ebay for a used machine. The only problem with that of course is warranty and you are always taking a risk. But you can get some fantastic deals sometimes that way. Just depends on whatever you feel comfortable with.

Thanks Callistra, but I'm not willing to take a chance on Ebay nor Craig's List. I might just have to take the money I get and save it so I can purchase the machine that I really, really want. This also means that I will have to have a longer withdrawal from The Sims....I'll check around to let you know what I find that is if I find anything that I am remotely interested in......

Thanks Guys! I really appreciate the feed-back!

shiny!
retired moderator
#8 Old 12th Jan 2008 at 8:42 PM
I understand.. Well, keep us posted. I hope you find an option which will let you play TS2 within your budget. Good luck!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st Jan 2008 at 9:58 AM
Thanks Callistra and sorry for the delaying to the response....I just feel so overwhelmed about upgrading or purchasing a newer pc. I didn't think it would be this hard to decide...I actually thought that was the fun part but I was wrong. I will come back later when I know for sure that I will be getting a newer pc or upgrading the one I have......

Thanks Again everyone....