Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#4326 Old 11th Oct 2016 at 3:54 PM
Goldenbtrfly, you can pick a finished picture up with the hand tool and pin it to the wall, at which point they become ordinary objects and can be placed in inventory. It'd be nice if you could just direct them to do it, though, I agree.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Advertisement
Scholar
#4327 Old 11th Oct 2016 at 5:31 PM
I'd like to see some more CC video games, tbh.
Alchemist
#4328 Old 11th Oct 2016 at 11:57 PM
about source code; my understanding is that there are circumstances where it could become freeware. not sure what those circumstances would be.

about more video games for sims; awhile ago I found a tutorial. http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=53770
or if you prefer to not create, the tutorial's author created at least one before making the tutorial.
Scholar
#4329 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 1:20 PM
Freeware is when the company that made or produced the software offers it for free with no stipulations (either designed as-is to be free, or made free after a period of time). Whether the source code is available publically is dependant on the company.

One instance of the source code being given out for a game that I know of is Freespace 2. Back in Aug '09 Volition (the developer/copyright owner) made the source code freely available, and that opened up a whole new area of modding for that game. But if I recall, source code release is pretty rare.
Mad Poster
#4330 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 1:52 PM
why can't it be hacked? People have hacked the Pentagon, the power grid, the FBI, and all sorts of "impenetrable" places. Why is it so much harder to hack a fifteen-year-old game? And why isn't the US using that same code if it's so hard?

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#4331 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 2:18 PM
Different uses of the word "hacked." When people hack the Pentagon, the power grid, and so on, they are bypassing safeguards in order to access data or to insert their own code into an operation. This is the equivalent of modding the game to suppress Mr. Humble, keep the grand vampire from biting Mrs. Crumplebottom, and so on.

Accessing the source code is an entirely different kettle of fish. I'm not a programmer and don't understand how it works exactly, but it's like the difference between sequencing the human genome, and creating life.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#4332 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 3:29 PM
I mean, they did release it for free with the UC. You just needed a code which quickly spread across the internet. Dammit, EAxis!
Mad Poster
#4333 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 4:43 PM
Interestingly enough, the source code for the original SimCity has been released. Because of trademark reasons, the free version is called Micropolis:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ble_source_code

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#4334 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 5:40 PM
So if you download Micropolis can you use terrains built in it for neighborhoods? Or does it have to be SC4?

Lab Assistant
#4335 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 6:12 PM
I believe Micropolis doesn't generate terrain in a file compatible with TS2, not to mention is based on the original Sim City, so no stuff like terrain elevation or so.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4336 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 6:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
So if you download Micropolis can you use terrains built in it for neighborhoods? Or does it have to be SC4?

Has to be SC4.

You know what I'd like if it could be put on something like the Unreal Engine would be an open neighbourhood but with closed off lots to live on. So you could loads the lots to play specific families but once the sim moved outside the lot, they could freely wander over the whole map.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#4337 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 7:43 PM
And chances are if someone did try to re-create it, EA would hit them with a dozen takedown notices.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#4338 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 7:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin

No, it's the original Sim City. It had various maps already generated in the game; you couldn't add your own. Very simplistic.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Instructor
#4339 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 8:32 PM
Know those little icons that appear over the Sim's pictures down in the bottom left that indicate they are "at work", "at school", "snuck out", etc ... I'd like one for "asleep"

That way, when I send four to bed and there are routing issues and one wanders off to star-gaze, I don't discover him/her at 3am freezing to death and about to pass out on the back porch!
Scholar
#4340 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 8:39 PM
Or dead because they stargazed.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4341 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 9:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
And chances are if someone did try to re-create it, EA would hit them with a dozen takedown notices.

I'm not so sure about that - certainly if they re-used or recreated the actual code but general ideas like a life-simulation are not copyrightable. Look what happened to SimCity or City Skylines as it's now known.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#4342 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 9:50 PM
Dunno, you might be right. I was mostly thinking about a couple other fan games that got hit with takedown notices from Nintendo.

Top Secret Researcher
#4343 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 10:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whoward69
Know those little icons that appear over the Sim's pictures down in the bottom left that indicate they are "at work", "at school", "snuck out", etc ... I'd like one for "asleep"

That way, when I send four to bed and there are routing issues and one wanders off to star-gaze, I don't discover him/her at 3am freezing to death and about to pass out on the back porch!

And that way if you have a giant house and the game suddenly slows to single speed, you don't have to either click to every single sim or look in every single bedroom.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Scholar
#4344 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 12:36 PM
A mod that makes a sims job title an editable field when technically unemployed; so that for example if you have a teacher for a school (with IJs set) you can put "Teacher" instead of unemployed. I have many sims that fall into the technical unemployed category when they actually just have special jobs, so this is quite a pet peeve for me.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Mad Poster
#4345 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 12:47 PM Last edited by gummilutt : 16th Oct 2016 at 2:22 PM. Reason: Typo
Might not fix the peeve for you, but have you considered the Freelancer career by dinhd here on MTS? (found here) It's an empty career with no work hours, no pay, no nothing. It's intended to be used for Sims that have some other kind of job, so that they don't roll wants to get a job when they technically already have one.

It just says Footloose Fella/Liberated Lady as job title, which might not be what you want. But what you could do is edit the career levels to have titles you want in your game, and use simblender or one of those mods to edit which career level they are at.

I don't recommend reading the business-option if you are any degree of feminist, because it's highly offensive. But hey, the concept is still good and the freelance-option isn't offensive.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4346 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 12:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bubblebeam
A mod that makes a sims job title an editable field when technically unemployed; so that for example if you have a teacher for a school (with IJs set) you can put "Teacher" instead of unemployed. I have many sims that fall into the technical unemployed category when they actually just have special jobs, so this is quite a pet peeve for me.

I give them jobs, often downloaded jobs that I downloaded often just for one of the career level titles. Then I place the simlogical institution sign on there lot and they never have to go to that job.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#4347 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 10:54 PM
my last post; maybe "public domain" was the term I was looking for instead of "freeware".

about the symbols on sim thumbnails; I think each off-lot experience have a symbol. and maybe also sleeping. excluding community lot trips.
and those symbols perhaps also apply to relationship panel; at least work/school.

about job title being editable when "unemployed", job details may also need to be edited. something better would be that the game recognize the "special jobs".
Scholar
#4348 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 1:18 PM
I'd like to see a hack that handles the CAS pricing system more intelligently.
Mad Poster
#4349 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 2:07 PM
The only one I know of is Simslice's hacked coat rack. It's on the booty. There are a lot of options to let you buy clothes for free, and those are what I usually go for, but if a sim absolutely won't stop whining because they want to "buy" clothes, I'll sometimes put that on the lot to shut them up.

Scholar
#4350 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 2:37 PM
Oh, I meant that when sims are created fresh in CAS with barely enough money to buy a starter house.
Page 174 of 576