Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jun 2017 at 11:48 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Game doesn't recognize AMD Radeon R6 graphics card?
Hi all, sorry if this isn't the best place to post this. But I was wondering if anyone could give some help.

So last year for my 21st birthday, my mom got me a brand new HP laptop with Windows 10, a 1TB hard drive, and an AMD Radeon R6 Graphics card. I was glad she got me this, because my old laptop is junk and can't run anything anymore without severe lag and freezing (as I'm typing this on my old computer, Firefox and Windows Explorer are still freezing), and this new laptop was perfect to finally play Sims 2 UC without problem and all the other games I have. Unfortunately, I found out as I was installing CC for Sims 3 via the Launcher, that my graphics card doesn't support Sims 3, or rather, is unrecognized by the game (which is stupid, it's compatible with literally all of the other games I have that are even older than me). It's got me stumped on how to fix this issue.

Yes, I have looked up tutorials. Everywhere, in fact! But unfortunately, these tutorials only cover more complicated graphics cards that I don't have, such as Nvidia, or a more complex AMD card. Problem is, I have an R6 card and none of the tutorials I've seen have been any help whatsoever because I don't have an "Nvidia/AMD abc123zxq" model. And yes, I do know that having an integrated graphics card isn't ideal, but it's all mom could afford (and I'm dirt poor myself) and I really don't feel like hunting one down online/at Best Buy to install into my computer. Besides, on my old laptop, it ran Sims 3 and many other games just fine for years on my integrated Intel card with absolutely no problem (except for Sims 2).

I have attached below my DeviceConfig, and my GraphicsRules and GraphicsCards. I was wondering if anyone on here that is tech savvy enough with the whole GraphicsRules and GraphicsCards to help me by telling me clearly in detail what I need to do to add my AMD Radeon R6 card and make it compatible to run Sims 3 (because I am a complete dum-dum with things like this), or simply edit my GraphicsRules stuff and then send back the modified .sgr files. If anyone is able to do this, I will greatly appreciate it because I'm dying to play 3 on my good, "new" laptop. Thanks in advance.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Specs stuff.zip (14.8 KB, 58 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Jun 2017 at 9:10 PM
Thank you, sorry for the late reply, I've been out all day running errands. When I am able to get to my laptop again tonight, I'll give it a try.

In terms of the game starting up, it does, I just got annoyed by the unrecognized graphics card warning and the low resolution. In terms of Sims 2, ironically,you the game did recognise my card and even runs and looks better than it did on Intel! I didn't even have to set things up aside from letting the game allow a higher screen resolution. Alright I'll let you know if it helped.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 10:55 PM
Alright, sorry for the late reply again, but I finally got around to opening my game, and thank you so much, your fix worked!!! Thanks so much! <3
Test Subject
#5 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 2:32 AM
I know this thread is 7 months old, but I'm having the same problem. I recently got a new computer for Christmas, and no matte how many times I followed the tutorial mentioned, I can't seem to get my game to notice the card properly. The instructions just seem too confusing. My other game, Planet Coaster, is working just fine- no crashes at all- so I know that once it's fixed, the game will probably work great.

The main issue is with my graphics Graphic Card. I have a AMD Radeon R7 Series, and I like I said, it appears I simply can't understand the tutorial. Somebody may want to make a new one, or at least edit it to include AMD Radeon ones.
I've uploaded both my graphics card, Graphics rules, as the DX-Diag as well. I don't care how long this takes, I want my game to have decent graphics, I'm going to be using it to take stories and build things) and in the meantime, I suppose I'll just switch my YouTube Channel to building something in Planet Coaster vs Sims 3 until this is taken care of.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Computer Specs.zip (27.7 KB, 29 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
#6 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 5:15 PM
I had the same issue with my GTX 1060. Even though the game does not recognize the card, it still uses it to process the graphics. So, it is not that important to make your game recognize the card. The only benefit of recognizing the card is that the game weights your computers capabilities and configures your graphics options accordingly. That is it. You can easily configure your graphics options by yourself.

I believe this to be a great guide on how to do that: http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/G...ms3performance/

Scholar
#7 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 8:26 PM
you need to run the game at least once and show us the DeviceConfig.log file, DXDiag is needed if you have problems with DirectX installation (the game would scream at you in that case).

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Test Subject
#9 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 3:01 AM
Alright. I've got the Device Configuration up as well as the other two stuff from my last message.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Device Config.zip (1.6 KB, 40 downloads) - View custom content
Scholar
#10 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 3:57 AM
you can use GraphicsRules and GraphicsCards provided by Nitromon, deviceID seems to be the same. It's just a generation higher(?).

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Test Subject
#11 Old 21st Jan 2018 at 3:08 AM
It seems to work. The game DOES recognize the card, though the settings appear to still default to low. I think the graphic rules file may still need to be adjusted, but I haven't been able to do that without completely disabling my game. I've moved them up myself and the game doesn't complain (though the last time I did it, it did crash, but maybe that's because I didn't do it right.

Good news though. My computer comes with a Windows Game Bare, which allows me to record both Planet Coaster and Sims 3 in MP4 format, saving me the hassle of AVI. (Unless I want to hide the User Interface- then I'll have to use AVI) I still have to figure out a way to transfer the stuff. Online storage programs don't have enough space, and my computer doesn't have an Extra USB port (the computer came with a mouse and keyboard, which use both of the ports that it has)
You know what it does have though? A CD-Rom Drive. So maybe I'll go old school, get some re-writable CD's, and use those to transfer my data to my Mac for movies again.. Then my Youtube Channel will be back up, with Planet Coaster as well as Sims 3!
Instructor
#13 Old 21st Jan 2018 at 5:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
So basically AMD R6 graphics is equivalent to a AMD HD 8330, which is similar to Intel HD 4000. And the 8330 basically is on par with AMD HD 7400 series. So the file has been modified to use the "AMD HD 7400" series setting for your GPU.

I think AMD HD 8330 and 7400 are way more higher than the Radeon R7 in performance, this AMD A12-9800 RADEON R7 has the same 9874 Device ID as the Radeon R6 and R5, here are some screenshots I found by googling;

Graphical performance-wise these R7 R6 R5 only capable of 1.6 GPixel/s for Pixel Fillrate and 4.8 GTexel/s for Texture Fillrate.

Quote: Originally posted by Adventure4U1
It seems to work. The game DOES recognize the card, though the settings appear to still default to low. I think the graphic rules file may still need to be adjusted

You will only need to edit the GraphicRules.sgr if you have 32 MB Texture Override problem, to have the graphic settings appears as it should be, you'll need to find which one of the AMD Graphics listed in the GraphicCards.sgr close or equal to your Radeon R7 Graphics in this [1.6 GPixel/s for Pixel Fillrate and 4.8 GTexel/s for Texture Fillrate] regard, if a replaced one there were actually have higher ratings than your R7, then it's like "virtually" overclocking your R7.

If you can't found one in the GraphicCards.sgr list that equals to your R7, your R7's [1.6 GPixel/s for Pixel Fillrate and 4.8 GTexel/s for Texture Fillrate] is about Nvidia GT610M's performance, which is medium for most of the graphics settings, only the Sims texture can be sets as high if in case you want to set them manually, this AMD naming for their newer graphics card line up really caused headache when it comes to make them properly recognized in TS3 graphics settings.
Test Subject
#15 Old 27th Mar 2018 at 10:52 PM
Hello.

I know this is an old post but i have the same problem with the radeon R5.
can someone please help? 😐