Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#226 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 1:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
I may sound a bit rude now, but hasn't it become common knowledge by now, after 5 years of going through these ordeals with TS3, that one should remove the whole mods folder(s) (mods, CC, everything) before applying a new patch?

Yes and No. I think it depends on past experiences. Personally, I've never really had problems until now. Probably because in previous games I was fairly light on mods (always heavy on cc, but light on actual mods). With this game though I've got a ton of actual mods so I'm just now feeling the effects of conflicts with updates.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#227 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 4:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Katzgroovymeow
I have one of Shimrod's walk style mods in my game and my sims are swimming normally thankfully. I removed them before updating for pools and then put my mods folder back in.

I found a note from Shimrod on his mod. It upsets me that there are no funny buttons on mod posts:

Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101
I knew in advance that these mods would not work when a swimming walkstyle is added in. I haven't said anything or given advance warning because I wanted to see the cool Jesus screenies which players have been posting.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Mad Poster
#228 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 5:00 PM
Has anyone used Zerbu's pool party mod? I had to download it because that is one party I missed having and love the object is to splash sims. I will try it out later, when I get time to play.
http://zerbu.tumblr.com/post/101778...ty-social-event

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Mad Poster
#229 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 6:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
I may sound a bit rude now, but hasn't it become common knowledge by now, after 5 years of going through these ordeals with TS3, that one should remove the whole mods folder(s) (mods, CC, everything) before applying a new patch?

Yeah, but that wouldn't be any fun. Gotta leave the Mods folder in place and see my sim walk on water, just like Jesus!

Just so you know, my game has been patched three times, IIRC, without my knowledge. My game is running, I'm playing the game full tilt; and the team has released the patch at that time and Origin has pushed the patch into my game without my receiving a notification of any kind whatsoever. While my game is running, do you understand? In all three cases I found out after I'd quit the playing session, because I by pure chance went on the Net to check the forums. It is completely possible to NOT CHECK the forums once or twice a day, and therefore never make the discovery that the game has been patched.

What I have described above has happened because Origin was already running, you know? If I start up Origin and a new patch is waiting for me, then I know there is a patch and I see it updating my game. It doesn't work that way when my Origin and game are already running on my computer, and THEN the sims4 people send the patch to Origin.

Just so readers know, I do not need any lecture from a would-be mommy that I can turn off the updating shtick in the Origin client, and when the game is running I can turn off the shtick in Game Options and yada yada; I know all about these things. I prefer to have Origin/Online left on in the game in case I get some wild and crazy notion to look at something on the Gallery.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
One Minute Ninja'd
#230 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 7:09 PM
They really will apply a patch DURING game play?? These slipstream-like patches seem like a setup for trouble with mods. Which, given the effort they appear to want to project of being so supportive of the modding community, is kinda at odds with that.

I think quickly fixing bugs is a good policy. But as EA has explicitly recognized the importance of modders to the game, you would think they would adopt a less invasive way of getting fixes distributed. I mean really, patching DURING game play is just asking for trouble. And I think that's true even for an unmodded, vanilla game as well. Talk about a setup for glitching in the middle of play session.
Theorist
#231 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 7:54 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 5th Nov 2014 at 8:06 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
They really will apply a patch DURING game play?? These slipstream-like patches seem like a setup for trouble with mods. Which, given the effort they appear to want to project of being so supportive of the modding community, is kinda at odds with that.

I think quickly fixing bugs is a good policy. But as EA has explicitly recognized the importance of modders to the game, you would think they would adopt a less invasive way of getting fixes distributed. I mean really, patching DURING game play is just asking for trouble. And I think that's true even for an unmodded, vanilla game as well. Talk about a setup for glitching in the middle of play session.

This is EA we're talking about. Being polite and having things function in a reasonable manner is not their thing. The cash cow must be fed, much like a fungus. And since there is a history of ugly things happening when a game is patched when mods are not removed / updated, they must like being yelled at.

After being poked, prodded and yelled at for a few months from people complaining about their broken game due to undisclosed updates, gurus are not going to own the problem. They will turn around and blame everything on the modding community, because we all know how EA loves to keep it's reputation pristine. It is all about the players after all.
Forum Resident
#232 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 8:38 PM
every mod effects the game differently, and many members here, like me, use a viarity of mods.
so, imo, it would seem pretty impossible for EA to be able to adjust their 1 update to all these different mods.

why ask from them to go through so much effort, when really all us members need to do is take the mod folder out?
its only a little responsibility we need to take to take care of our game.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#233 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 8:42 PM
It sounds rather odd that the game updated while actually playing (not saying that it didn't happen to you Shimrod).. I had to log out and back in. Then again, I don't play online so there's no way an update could apply itself while I'm actually playing.
Field Researcher
#234 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 8:52 PM
I have one of Shimrod's walk style mods in my game and my sims are swimming normally thankfully. I removed them before updating for pools and then put my mods folder back in.

I removed my mods folder before updating for pools and then put my mods folder back in, but my Simmies walk over the water instead of swimming!
Forum Resident
#235 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 8:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tiny0190
I removed my mods folder before updating for pools and then put my mods folder back in, but my Simmies walk over the water instead of swimming!

sometimes a mod itself need to be updated after a game update.
maybe thats the issue?

not with all mods, but often with a few that is the case.
Field Researcher
#236 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 9:22 PM

Thanks for the tip to remover Simrods walkstyle mod, ..I removed every walkstyle and my simmies SWIM YEASSSSS
One Minute Ninja'd
#237 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 10:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mishy
every mod effects the game differently, and many members here, like me, use a viarity of mods.
so, imo, it would seem pretty impossible for EA to be able to adjust their 1 update to all these different mods.

why ask from them to go through so much effort, when really all us members need to do is take the mod folder out?
its only a little responsibility we need to take to take care of our game.

Oh, I agree with you that EA cannot "adjust" their patches to any mods out there, that would be essentially impossible. But "silent" patching as Shimord described, occurring in the background, does not let the player even have the option of pulling the mods folder or even knowing that some weird behavior is occurring because a patch was applied without notice to the player.
Forum Resident
#238 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 10:37 PM
Oh, I agree with you that EA cannot "adjust" their patches to any mods out there, that would be essentially impossible. But "silent" patching as Shimord described, occurring in the background, does not let the player even have the option of pulling the mods folder or even knowing that some weird behavior is occurring because a patch was applied without notice to the player.

yeah, i really even wasnt aware that this "silent" patching could happen.
i always put origin on offline as it tends to slow my system down.

i really dislike origine, and think its ashame that EA choosed to do business with them.
dodgy builder
#239 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 10:37 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 5th Nov 2014 at 10:54 PM.
Yeah, but that wouldn't be any fun. Gotta leave the Mods folder in place and see my sim walk on water, just like Jesus!

Just so you know, my game has been patched three times, IIRC, without my knowledge. My game is running, I'm playing the game full tilt; and the team has released the patch at that time and Origin has pushed the patch into my game without my receiving a notification of any kind whatsoever. While my game is running, do you understand? In all three cases I found out after I'd quit the playing session, because I by pure chance went on the Net to check the forums. It is completely possible to NOT CHECK the forums once or twice a day, and therefore never make the discovery that the game has been patched.

You know some people are just too lazy to take out their mods before patching. I've been playing TS3 since it's release and I've never been forced to reinstall anytime. I can fix this, and frankly if I can't who cares? It's just Greek on a Pie, no big deal.

I took out my mods and it didn't do much change. The next step will be to remove those other two folders in the game folders from Origin as well. It probably means I will have to dig up my password from somewhere, I'll see if I can be bothered for a pie I don't understand.

edit: bedtime for me now, but I just read something about the Greek Pie might not be mods related at all. People even reinstall and back the problem is when they install the patch after.
Mad Poster
#240 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 11:02 PM

I can't say for sure, but I've come to the conclusion that the patch has been pushed into my game files, updating them, while I'm playing, but the game is already loaded and running; so the game does not reload the SimulationDeltaBuild0 for example while the game is running, it has to wait until the next time I start the game to load in the new/replaced files. It has to be functioning this way I think, or else the game would be massively screwed over by such a procedure. Think what would happen if you're happily toodling along in a Sims3 session, and the Launcher pushes in some new patch files while the game is running...the game would totally lose it's marbles, it would probably meltdown completely.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Test Subject
#241 Old 6th Nov 2014 at 12:10 AM
My pool options come up as numbers. I have quit out of game and its still numbers. I have not put in any mods as of yet.
Mad Poster
#242 Old 6th Nov 2014 at 12:29 AM
I wonder if the recent Origin upgrade is somehow to blame. Origin can be arbitrary when it wants to dish out some nastiness from time to time.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Instructor
#243 Old 6th Nov 2014 at 1:07 AM
just to be clear disabling auto updates does not limit gallery usage, I have auto updates turned off and I use the gallery all the time, all it really means is I need to restart origin when a patch is released and click the button for the update after removing the mods folder, easy as pie
One Minute Ninja'd
#244 Old 6th Nov 2014 at 1:47 AM
I can't say for sure, but I've come to the conclusion that the patch has been pushed into my game files, updating them, while I'm playing, but the game is already loaded and running; so the game does not reload the SimulationDeltaBuild0 for example while the game is running, it has to wait until the next time I start the game to load in the new/replaced files. It has to be functioning this way I think, or else the game would be massively screwed over by such a procedure. Think what would happen if you're happily toodling along in a Sims3 session, and the Launcher pushes in some new patch files while the game is running...the game would totally lose it's marbles, it would probably meltdown completely.

Yeah, I can't imagine the patch is applied during run time. If it is, it's a setup for disaster. But even just pushing out a patch in the background, and applying it on your next launch without any prior notification still seems like a bad idea. I expect the no autoupdate option is the only way to protect against stuff like that. With TS3, it was never a big deal, because I never used the Launcher for anything except the occasional S3P I HAD to install, or to apply a patch when I finally decided everything I used was either working with or updated for the patch. And autoupdate was still disabled, so I could still install something without a patch kicking in before I was ready for it.

With Origin running, however, it sounds like no autoupdate shouldn't even be considered an option, but the default, so you can properly prepare for a patch, while still connecting if you want in game access to the Gallery.
Instructor
#245 Old 6th Nov 2014 at 1:50 AM
I had no problems at all until now with my pools.. my sim changed into swimsuit and was no glitch or crash in my game... ... and I did not take the mods out to update to get the pool!

I am Brazilian but I live in Switzerland!!!!
Call me Paula if you want :)
My Tumblr =)
Scholar
#246 Old 6th Nov 2014 at 7:19 AM
I have no problems with the functionality of pools or the mods that I run in the game. But the water seems weird. It looks nice with no sims in it, but swimming sims seem to barely disturb it (except for jumping in). Which looks odd. My sims all automatically changed into random ugly swimming clothes when I pushed them in.
Page 10 of 10