Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#951 Old 18th Mar 2024 at 11:40 AM
Unmatched chairs are triggering my OCD lol. You seem to have lost a toddler!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#952 Old 18th Mar 2024 at 1:22 PM

Ground Floor from the other side

Garrett isn't lost! He was merely out of sight, and to some extent perhaps out of mind, as he sleeps on the toddler sofa (by Rebecah) in the kitchen. This picture also shows the downstairs bathroom, and Regina's "bedroom" in the garden hut. At 6:05 a.m. Regina is already out at work, trying to earn a few Simoleons as a golf caddy. Starting work at this unearthly hour, I really don't think it's fair to call her a slacker! In the bathroom you will no doubt recognise Numenor's "naughty" shower. On many days this has provided Gavin and Ginger with the only "fun" they've had all day.
Screenshots

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#953 Old 18th Mar 2024 at 2:01 PM
What beddings do you have there?
Mad Poster
#954 Old 18th Mar 2024 at 4:02 PM
Apart from Maxis ones (which I use all the time), the main beddings I use are Sugar And Spice - 23 Cute Beddings by jupiterstar. I also have Some Pink and Blue Bedding by LiliLiliLili, but I'm pretty sure I didn't use them in the Newsons' house. (I only downloaded them quite recently.)

The bedding on the toddler sofa will be from Bedding Textures - Toddler Items - Part 4 by rebecah.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#955 Old 18th Mar 2024 at 4:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Apart from Maxis ones (which I use all the time), the main beddings I use are Sugar And Spice - 23 Cute Beddings by jupiterstar. I also have Some Pink and Blue Bedding by LiliLiliLili, but I'm pretty sure I didn't use them in the Newsons' house. (I only downloaded them quite recently.)

The bedding on the toddler sofa will be from Bedding Textures - Toddler Items - Part 4 by rebecah.

Was the first link that I noticed and thought were pretty, but the second lot are nice as well. Thanks.

Beddings for the toddler sofa are good too; as soon as I saw it I went looking for it. XD
Mad Poster
#956 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 1:23 AM
When Regina bought new beds for the Newsons, they transferred the bedding from their old cheap beds. Here's an old picture of them all sleeping in the cheap Craftmeister beds. The fact that Maxis made the Craftmeister bed frames in a variety of colours also adds a touch of brightness to the room:

And here's an even older picture of Gabriella and Gallagher hugging each other as the teens continue to sleep:

It really must be a depressing house to live in, especially for Ginger, who hardly ever gets out of the house. (Gallagher and Gabriella go to school, and Gavin goes to work. And the toddlers have that nice bright nursery.) Having nice bedclothes is an inexpensive way of adding a little bit of brightness to their otherwise so drab lives.

I apologise for the small size and low quality of these old photos, especially the very old one. I think it must be a contact print. (Anyone else here old enough to remember contact prints?) I suppose we should be thankful that these old pictures are in colour; with pictures as old as these, we might have expected sepia!
Screenshots

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Instructor
#957 Old 21st Mar 2024 at 3:35 AM
After I uploaded a makeover I made back in 2018, I took a jab at Modern Masterpiece without using any CC and not changing the outer walls and keeping it a 3-bedroom 2-bathroom house. I succeeded partially. No CC, though that meant giving up on the whole orange/brown thing going on as I couldn't for the life of me make it look good. As for not touching the shell, eventually I caved and made the middle of the house come in by a single tile - that simple change adds so much to the overall shell, it's amazing - and I added a chimney-like thing (since I reduced the roof angle I needed to somehow increase the usable floor area upstairs, so that's what I came up with). As for the 3-bedroom 2-bathroom bit, I achieved it but I feel like Maxis was cheating when they made their version. Calling the upper floor a bedroom is very generous when it's basically a square with fencing around it, all while making the cardinal sin of not connecting the ground floor walls to a ceiling or another wall. They pulled this stunt twice, one of those times in a bedroom. Bad Maxis! Imagine Sims downstairs are WooHooing, do you really want to leave the top uncovered?

I tried to keep it pretty basic with the furnishings while making sure every need was filled. I was hoping to keep it around the original price tag of 30k, but this brings me to my next problem. Maxis cheats again! Sure it's technically a 3-bedroom house, but there's not a single bed in sight. I added beds to the bedrooms, now 3 proper bedrooms*, and I also built a small living area with a sofa, TV and bookcase. There's even a desk for Mr. Humble's computer. I also added a dining area, something also lacking from the original. The outside has a bit of detail now instead of the plain grass with a small path leading to the front door, there's now a small patio and a path that wraps around the house and some plants. All in all, it costs around 41k, with less landscaping and one or two beds it could come closer to 30k, but it's still pretty cheap and, at least in my opinion, looks nice.

*I tested the "attic" bedroom and it works at least as a single bed, to get it to work as a double bed I will probably need a mod but still, that bedroom would have been 15-year-old me's dream.
Screenshots

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Mad Poster
#958 Old 22nd Mar 2024 at 3:49 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 22nd Mar 2024 at 4:05 AM.
Default 14 High Road, Baldrair Bluffs

Neighbourhood View

Front View

@Yvelotic2001 , I rather like what you've done here, and, to be honest, I rather prefer this to the CC-rich version that you've uploaded. I quite often use Maxis bin houses as the basis for houses for new Sims, but I usually give them some sort of makeover so they don't look straight-out-of-the-box Maxis. Looking at your pictures reminded me that I had used the Modern Masterpiece as the house for the Hunts, a particularly randy family of Romance Sims in my custom 'hood of Baldrair Bluffs. As soon as I opened it today, it became clear to me that I had merely added furniture to the original Maxis design. If it had been in Veronaville or one of its sub-hoods, I'm sure I'd have changed the exterior wall to brick or stone, as we seldom build all-timber houses in Europe, but Baldrair Bluffs, originally conceived as a "feeder" 'hood to Land Grant University, is clearly North American, and many Americans do live in timber-faced houses like that. As the Hunts (Horace and Emily and their teenage daughter Pamela) are all Romance, and I expect Horace and Emily will sometimes want to "entertain" different visitors, I'm a bit surprised that they don't have a double bed in that attic room. Probably finances were just too tight when they first moved in.

Ground Floor

Upper Floor

I'm pretty sure your Sims would be able to use a double bed in that attic room. Sims will use both sides of a double bed provided that they have room to walk round three sides of it. A 4x4 room is sufficient, and (at least in its original Maxis form, that attic bedroom is 5x4. Inge has a fix for inaccessible beds, but for some reason it requires Apartment Life. So I have plenty of experience of my Sims sharing beds without that fix! Now that the Hunts have saved up a little money, they'll probably put a bed in that upper room. I have added a fridge, a couple of extra kitchen units, a dining area, a sofa, an armchair, and a card table where the Hunts can play their favourite family game -- strip poker! When buying a house in the UK, you'd expect to get it in much the same state as Maxis make this one -- with basic plumbing, lighting, kitchen and bathroom fixtures, but with no moveable furniture at all.

Usually, when I'm building houses for my Sims, I'm building down to a price, or with a particular family in mind, often both. I'm impressed that, by moving the front wall of that central section back one tile, you actually succeeded in making this house smaller during the makeover. I'm usually under pressure from my Sims, telling me that they need more space!
Screenshots

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#959 Old 22nd Mar 2024 at 8:13 AM
I have added a fridge, a couple of extra kitchen units, a dining area, a sofa, an armchair, and a card table where the Hunts can play their favourite family game -- strip poker!

Strip poker is like the opposite of a family game lol.
Mad Poster
#960 Old 22nd Mar 2024 at 9:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Strip poker is like the opposite of a family game lol.

You've maybe never been invited round for a quiet evening in with Horace, Emily and Pamela.

When Emily says with a smile, "Let's go through and get the cards out." It's like getting the Monopoly board out in other families. Except maybe it's friendlier. Monopoly can get very competitive.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#961 Old 22nd Mar 2024 at 1:27 PM
You've maybe never been invited round for a quiet evening in with Horace, Emily and Pamela.

When Emily says with a smile, "Let's go through and get the cards out." It's like getting the Monopoly board out in other families. Except maybe it's friendlier. Monopoly can get very competitive.

Nope. Getting naked with your teenage daughter should have you being investigated by Child Services!
Instructor
#962 Old 22nd Mar 2024 at 5:35 PM
I'm pretty sure your Sims would be able to use a double bed in that attic room. Sims will use both sides of a double bed provided that they have room to walk round three sides of it. A 4x4 room is sufficient, and (at least in its original Maxis form, that attic bedroom is 5x4. Inge has a fix for inaccessible beds, but for some reason it requires Apartment Life.

They can't, I lowered the ceiling so there's only 2 usable tiles. I will test the Use Inacessible Beds mod, but I'm happy if it works as a single bed anyway.

Test Subject
#963 Old 22nd Mar 2024 at 5:37 PM
Not sure if it's the right thread but I've just finished my Riverblossom Valley Cemetery (after accidentally deleting the other one, I realized way too late ). I wanted to have a chapel & a crypt for the urns, plus I've added some facilities so my Sim don't die of hunger/low bladder when they go visiting they beloved ones. I'll probably change a few bits here and there but so far I'm quite happy with the result:

Now I just have to retrieve and place the missing tombstones
Mad Poster
#964 Old 23rd Mar 2024 at 7:26 AM
That's lovely. Do you plan on uploading it?
Test Subject
#965 Old 23rd Mar 2024 at 12:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
That's lovely. Do you plan on uploading it?

Thank you so much for your comment @Charity

It's quite CC heavy and I've used loads of repositoried items (plus I've got about 11.5 GB of stuff, packing the lot took a long time lol) but I might work on a CC free version if you're interested
Mad Poster
#966 Old 23rd Mar 2024 at 5:56 PM Last edited by Charity : 25th Mar 2024 at 10:48 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by sim4fan1
Thank you so much for your comment @Charity

It's quite CC heavy and I've used loads of repositoried items (plus I've got about 11.5 GB of stuff, packing the lot took a long time lol) but I might work on a CC free version if you're interested

I like the CC version, tbh. I'm one of those people who doesn't mind having to download CC for lots, which I know is rare. XD
Mad Poster
#967 Old 25th Mar 2024 at 1:49 AM
Still inspired by Yvelotic2001's makeover of Maxis Modern Masterpiece, I have done a minor makeover to the "Modern Masterpiece" house at 14 High Road in Baldrair Bluffs. I have of course done this in full consultation with, and with the permission of the Hunt family who live there. They do after all own the house, and they've paid for the modifications.

View from Street in Daylight

Street View by Night

As I said already, my Sims always seem to be asking me for more space. I don't think I've ever heard Sims complain that their house was too big. The Capps have sometimes complained that Capp Manor is too far from the road, but that's not the same thing at all. In fact the actual house at Capp Manor is not all that big.

The Hunts had started practising and playing musical instruments on that flat roof over the entrance, and both they and I thought it be a good idea if we could make that flat roof-space a little bit bigger. Our first idea was to cantilever an extra row of tiles onto the front of that flat roof. But that cast a shadow over the front door. So we decided to move the central section of the building, forward by one tile-width, bringing the front door one tile nearer to the street. This is the opposite to what Yvelotic2001 did -- they moved that central section back by one tile-width. But I think the way I've done it better suits both me and my Sims. It gives them more space both on the roof platform and inside the house. And it only cost them a few hundred Simoleons. For me it means that the house is no longer straight-out-of-the-box Maxis!

Visitors David McLuckie (drums) and Walter Kingsley (lead guitar) jamming together on the Hunts' roof

(The building in the background of the first two pictures is called Baldrair Lodge. It is occupied by a gay couple Justin and John Brand, and two girls they have adopted. One of the girls is Eve Marsden, the papergirl who ran away from school. It is the Maxis "Fiesta Fortress" that comes with the Celebration! Stuff Pack.)
Screenshots

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Instructor
#968 Old 27th Mar 2024 at 5:24 AM Last edited by Yvelotic2001 : 27th Mar 2024 at 5:38 AM.
I've been playing some Control lately, which has inspired me to try and build a brutalist building. I wasn't sure what I would actually do with it, I could figure that out later, I just knew I wanted to try some brutalism, which is a style I have never used. After building the original shell, I was getting some strong university vibes from it, so I rolled with it and hopefully one day this will be the main building of a hypothetical university subhood I'll build. Sometime after committing to the university idea I started to feel like I was drifting away from my original brutalist vision, but I just kept going as I'm liking the way it's developing. It's still early days however. Though I would like to hear your suggestions as for what to do with the corners of the steps leading to the lowered portion of the patio, I'm not sure what to do with them. Oh, and I'm keeping it CC-free for now. I would like to share it first, then I can go wild on CC when it's for personal use - those pine trees in the back have some cypresses ready to replace them.

Inspirations are the Woodruff Health Sciences Center Administration Building (apparently; it took me a long time to discover what building this actually was) for the front entrance and various universities in Portugal, mostly University of Minho and University of Coimbra.
Screenshots

Page 39 of 39