Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 9:47 PM Last edited by sam&skye : 28th Apr 2018 at 11:46 PM.
Default Objects transparent where they're overlapping certain things?
I've had this before. Certain objects either get transparent where they should be opaque, or invisible where they should be transparent, when you position the camera in a way that they overlap a certain other object. This usually happened when the problematic object overlapped one with an alpha. I could solve this by setting stdMatAlphaTestEnabled to false a few times. It won't be transparent then, but whatever.

The problem I ran into today is this chair:

From here.

It shouldn't be transparent at all, and I couldn't find anything in the TXMT that would suggest that the object somehow "thought" it was. It also didn't only look weird when I placed it on a rug that had an alpha, but also when certain parts of itself overlap. (See screenshot; when I turn it around so that the back is visually overlapping the seat, the back turns partially transparent.)

Is there any chance the issue is still with the texture? I fell madly in love with this set when I saw it and this drives me nuts, but I can't mesh for shit.
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Mad Poster
#3 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 1:00 AM
If you use stdMatAlphaBlendMode with blend on an opaque object, it often shows with weird transparency when there shouldn't be any, because the blend setting can also transfer to opaque objects if the mesh isn't properly layered. There's no opacity in te texture of that chair (barstool?) so like HugeLunatic says, try setting it to "none" for the "cushion" TXMTs.

The blend setting can be a hard nut to crack. It does weird things if the mesh groups aren't layered properly, especially if there's more than one layer with opacity. For transparent objects with blend, I prefer to keep all the transparent parts in their own group, so they have their own TXMT. Makes things easier...
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Apr 2018 at 1:18 PM
Oh, now that makes sense. I completely forgot about that line and only checked stdMatAlphaTestEnabled. Thanks!