Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 2:59 AM
Default The Next Will Wright Project - SimYou - Details Revealed
"You, the human, are now going to be the Sim."

News retrieved from this SOURCE

Quote:
Things have been quiet lately for Will Wright, creator of massively successful games SimCity, The Sims, Spore and others. Wright has since left Maxis to work at a new studio, Gallium Artistic Services. Based on a recent interview, we may have an idea of what the famed game designer is working on next.

Speaking to Neo4j, a graph database service, Lauren Winter mentioned Wright and Gallium Artistic Services are working on a new project called SimYou. Winter is the CTO at Gallium.

When speaking about SimYou, Winter said “ [y]ou, the human, are now going to be the Sim.” While that sounds like a lofty and ambiguous goal, Winter doesn’t really extrapolate on her comment. The interview is mostly about using graphs, after all.

Winter does go into some detail about how SimYou will be using these graphs, though. “We started with the idea of a human memory, which is a tag-based memory with people, places, things, times and activities,” she said. “But the most important part about the human mind, whether you know this or not, is not your memories. It’s your concept of things that the memories create.”

Using the example of a bicycle, Winter talks about all the different ways you can think of an object based on your past memories. “Your idea of a bicycle is built up from the first time you rode a bicycle, the first time you fell off a bicycle, the time you took a long tour on a bicycle, the time you escaped from mom and dad on a bicycle, etc. All of your memories of a bicycle shape your concept of a bicycle,” she said.

How does this make a game? Depending on your relationship to things, SimYou will change. “What’s really cool (which is kind of going to be the magic potion of this app) is that the concept of the bicycle – the link to it, relationship to it – is your relationship to bicycles,” Winter said. “It’s a connector unique to you. The bicycle is owned by every player in the game on planet earth, but now we know more than Amazon on how users relate to bicycles. We also know more than Facebook because they didn’t start with graph databases.”

This will allow you to see how you compare to others. “We know exactly what you like or dislike or hate or love in your life. Based on the weighting of all the relationships of all the memories of that one concept, then we can measure you against all humanity, to say whether you like bicycles a lot more than everyone else,” Winter said. “It’s sort of comparing people to everyone else. This is going to blow everyone’s mind.”

As for when we’ll find out more about SimYou, development is ongoing, but plans are to have everything ready by next year. “The project is only eight months old, and we haven’t launched yet, so I think in a year hopefully we’ll be launched and we’ll see,” Winter said.

Does anyone know more information about SimYou? How about your opinions? What kind of "game" Will Wright is making?

I moved my downloads to Simblr thebleedingwoodland
My newer quality downloads on my blog The Bleeding Woodland
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 12:27 PM
Ugh - sounds pretty awful tbh.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 1:51 PM
Umm... I don't understand what that was talking about. :/

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 2:11 PM
Will's gotten too old. He called the Wii the "future of gaming" back in '06 and talked about this same thing a couple of years ago, with the same disregard for people's privacy. I don't think he quite knows how the tech world works these days. He's one of the great people in PC gaming history and yet, he believes that gaming as we know it is obsolete.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Theorist
#5 Old 27th Oct 2016 at 8:31 PM
Too abstract of an explanation that makes it sound like a database contest. I can bunny hop with my bicycle, this makes me a 70% match with hitler.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 27th Oct 2016 at 9:02 PM
Wright should keep his head in simulated A.I. and simulated situations... this takes a part of it, but I can't see what can this be used as... though people thought The Sims was useless as well, before it came out, so I should not speak.

Also, off topic, but on topic of A.I... wouldn't it be great if there was a computer A.I. system that calculated motivation, will and determination to start, finish and keep trying to acomplish certain task even after failing...

Also, I'm not a fan of static A.I. in recent sims games. TS2 had kind of dynamic A.I. but even it was flat and all of the changes were user or program directed.

I have said word A.I. six times counting this one as well... I've been thinking about it too much lately.