Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 5:41 PM
Default Terrible screen crash
It's been a while since I have got this issue.It's not like a screen tearing which is happening when zoom in or out the camera.It happens while playing the game.Suddenly the screen will black out and most of the time some lines are on the screen but the game is still working.I can hear the sound effects but after that all I can see is those lines.I'm really confused from this issue.I played TS3 for a long time without any issue at all but once I had remove a ram for a while and I add it later.Since I remove it this issue happened.Even now I added it the issue is still happening.I took a image from my phone.Can somebody please help me?Really need some help.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 2:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
That could be anything, I wouldn't even really know where to being. Your GPU could be fried or even your CPU. Actually I had some issue like that with one of my older desktop after I had a short. But since you mentioned the RAM, it might be related to that. The RAM stick might be physically damaged or... the connector might just be dirty. Here's a neat trick. Use an "eraser," you know any regular pencil eraser, and clean the golden contacts of the RAM. Then plug it back in and see if that helps.

Thanks for trying to help me but unfortunately It keeps happening even I cleaned the both RAMS.But all this time I noticed one thing.It never happened on Create A Sim.Only while playing the game or building a lot.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 3:39 PM
Maybe also just check the power supply if you're on a PC - I think I remember having graphical issues like that when playing Sims 3 when mine was failing.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 11:43 PM
It could also be the graphic card as well if it not built in I had to replace my Graphic card in the pass after I got that problem.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 3:28 AM
Does it only happen when playing sim's 3 and no other games?
If so it's probably not your hardware.

usually when you have bad memory you will also get BSOD's (blue screen of death) These can happen randomly, even when you are just Idle in windows.
My experience with graphic's card and cpu failures nearly always result in BSOD's and the PC shutting down randomly or just turning off like you turned off the plug.

It could be that the game doesn't like your graphics card/chip, Are you using a dedicated graphic's card or on-board graphic's?
Does it only do it in the summer months? overheating maybe an issue? (mine tends to overheat a bit in the summertime, I should invest in some better cooling)

I won't suggest the usual (reinstalling the game ect... ect..) because most people already try it before asking for help.
But you could try moving/deleting the options file, I've had that cause me problems before & deleting it fixed it.
go to "Users\*****\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3" and move or delete "Options.ini" start the game, you will have to set your options up how you want them again, then close and restart the game.

That's all I can think of at the moment, hope it's of some help.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 9:25 AM
Yeah, I didn't have high hopes that would've solved it. Memory issues usually will lead to immediate game freezing.

What GPU are you using? Can you post your deviceconfig?

I wonder why it won't happen on CAS.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 9:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gnasher316
Does it only happen when playing sim's 3 and no other games?
If so it's probably not your hardware.

usually when you have bad memory you will also get BSOD's (blue screen of death) These can happen randomly, even when you are just Idle in windows.
My experience with graphic's card and cpu failures nearly always result in BSOD's and the PC shutting down randomly or just turning off like you turned off the plug.

It could be that the game doesn't like your graphics card/chip, Are you using a dedicated graphic's card or on-board graphic's?
Does it only do it in the summer months? overheating maybe an issue? (mine tends to overheat a bit in the summertime, I should invest in some better cooling)

I won't suggest the usual (reinstalling the game ect... ect..) because most people already try it before asking for help.
But you could try moving/deleting the options file, I've had that cause me problems before & deleting it fixed it.
go to "Users\*****\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3" and move or delete "Options.ini" start the game, you will have to set your options up how you want them again, then close and restart the game.

That's all I can think of at the moment, hope it's of some help.

Actually I only played Sims.Before I install Windows 8 I had TS4 but nothing happens in it.(I had this issue even before I installed Windows 8) but when I launched TS4 while the game was loading I heard that welcome sound(which we can here when the game start) but it was still loading.Nothing other than that happened.This issue is only happened in TS3.
I'm using a dedicated graphic's card.I'm from Sri Lanka and In here there're no such seasons like summer or winter.Usually we have the same climate.
That issue happened today also and today a sky-blue screen appear.When this crash screen appear it would black out then appear then again black out and appear,it keeps happening like that.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 9:59 AM
the deviceconfig is a log file in your TS3 user folder.

the reason it may happen outside of CAS is because the GPU doesn't work that hard in CAS.

Since you are running a dedicated card, your CPU should also come with a built-in GPU. Can you switch the game to run on the integrated GPU? This will confirm whether it is your video card.

Did u mean on-board video?I have already tried using it but when I try to play from it the game will crash as soon as it loads,It won't hold even for a minute after the game loads.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 11:07 PM
When in windowed mode, if you can play for a while, periodically go to Task Manager and see how much CPU and RAM is being used. I'm kinda curious.

The reason TS3 is toxic to computers is because it is so badly coded that there is nothing to stop it from trying to render at hundreds of frames per second (FPS), even though the game can only display 30 fps and the human eye can only see 30 fps. I use an FPS limiter to help with that and it is necessary for me to be able to safely play TS3.

EDIT: Since I feel like a door-to-door evangelist on every help thread preaching the gospel of the 3booter and FPS limiter, I have linked it in my signature. See the TS3 vs. Your CPU link. READ THE DIRECTIONS .

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Mad Poster
#14 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 12:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AmandieLove
When in windowed mode, if you can play for a while, periodically go to Task Manager and see how much CPU and RAM is being used. I'm kinda curious.

The reason TS3 is toxic to computers is because it is so badly coded that there is nothing to stop it from trying to render at hundreds of frames per second (FPS), even though the game can only display 30 fps and the human eye can only see 30 fps. I use an FPS limiter to help with that and it is necessary for me to be able to safely play TS3.

EDIT: Since I feel like a door-to-door evangelist on every help thread preaching the gospel of the 3booter and FPS limiter, I have linked it in my signature. See the TS3 vs. Your CPU link. READ THE DIRECTIONS .

That's strange because my fps is around 60 fps and my game works fine like that.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 2:04 AM
@RoseCity You probably have more RAM than me and a 64-bit system. Or, you're just plain lucky, because TS3 is a drama queen.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Mad Poster
#16 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 2:27 AM
@RoseCity You probably have more RAM than me and a 64-bit system. Or, you're just plain lucky, because TS3 is a drama queen.

That is so true - sometimes people have fantastic systems and even they are defeated by this crazy game. But I do have 16 gb of RAM.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 12:11 AM

I wish I could use FPS Limiter, but despite all attempts running my game through TS3W.exe still opens the game only through Origins and the Launcher and as soon as Origins opens the FPS Limiter shuts down. Sometimes I wish I didn't like this game so much, it would save a great deal of frustration.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 2:39 PM
I have an Nvidia card so I'll check those out.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 16th Sep 2015 at 7:21 AM
I couldn't check these latest solutions I'll check them ASAP.Oh by the way I noticed one more thing.After going to the CAS in nraas mod it will hold the game for hours
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#21 Old 16th Sep 2015 at 2:55 PM
Moving to Help.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.