Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#851 Old 24th Jun 2016 at 10:20 PM
Yes - doing final testing now. There will be the ability to correct missing Slotray (arm placement) data, and to adjust the arms offset.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Advertisement
Test Subject
#852 Old 26th Jun 2016 at 12:33 PM
Hi Cmar,
I tested the new version. Espacially uv_1 tools. And they are working good. Thank you!
But there is a problem about thumbnails. I imported new png for thumbnail. But in game there is a cross. I think it's the only problem for now.

Thank you again!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#853 Old 26th Jun 2016 at 5:15 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 26th Jun 2016 at 6:46 PM.
Hi, thanks for testing! I'll look into the thumbnails. Also I seem to have solved the problem of the 'messy' uv1 just now so an improved version should be up soon.

Edit: The thumbnail problem is fixed and will be in the next update.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Test Subject
#854 Old 26th Jun 2016 at 9:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Yes - doing final testing now. There will be the ability to correct missing Slotray (arm placement) data, and to adjust the arms offset.

Hi Cmar!
I tested the new version. I couldn't see a problem.
Thank you so much. <3
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#855 Old 26th Jun 2016 at 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ekinege
Hi Cmar!
I tested the new version. I couldn't see a problem.
Thank you so much. <3

Thanks for letting me know!

Test Subject
#856 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 10:58 AM
Hi Cmar!

Thank you again! Thumbnails are working now! ^_^
Test Subject
#857 Old 2nd Jul 2016 at 11:32 PM
Hi there Cmar! It's me again...
I've just downloaded the new version of the CAS Tools
And a lot of things have changed in the Mesh Tools tab..
In the older version I'd go in:
Mesh tools>Geom Conversion>And Select the 3rd panel (TS3 Geom to TS4 Conversion)...
How do I convert TS3 geom files in TS4 geom files in the new version??
~Thanks~
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#858 Old 3rd Jul 2016 at 1:24 AM
Yes, lots of changes. I'm trying to get it better structured. You should now use the "Auto Conversion to TS4 Mesh" tab for all conversions to TS4. For the equivalent of the old TS3 to TS4 conversion with no reference, just select your mesh file, select what kind of part it is, leave the 'Standard Underwear Reference Mesh" checked, uncheck all the auto-conversion options, and select the option to keep the original shader.

As I'm writing this I realize if you have an accessory it's going to force you to select a reference mesh - I'll make that more flexible, maybe include an option for no reference for TS3 meshes. Meanwhile either select part type Hat or Hair or just select any TS4 mesh as reference - with all the auto-convert options unchecked it won't be used.

Test Subject
#859 Old 3rd Jul 2016 at 3:48 PM
I have done everything you said but still the option to to leave the 'Standard Underwear Reference Mesh' won't be cheked for some reason! I click on it but it still isn't beeing checked...by the way the file I'm using is a sims 3 geom file...I've also tried to do so with a ms3d format yet nothing...
And something else..when you say to uncheck the other options you mean to uncheck all the autoassign boxes right?
~Thanks~
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#860 Old 3rd Jul 2016 at 9:42 PM
Right, uncheck all the options you don't want done.

If you're choosing 'Other' as the type right below the place where you select the mesh to convert, it won't let you use the standard mesh. As I said, you can choose Hair or Hat and it will let you use the standard reference. The part type you choose is only important for the vertex color and the seam stitch data which only applies to tops, bottoms, and bodies, so if you uncheck those options it doesn't do anything.

Test Subject
#861 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 2:35 AM
No I didn't chose other...still when I choose hair the box won't be checked Anyways I skipped that and I've done Full Body in which that box (use standard underwear reference mesh) would be checked! And I tried to hit the 'Go!' button and then a message keeps poping up saying : not valid mesh...I feel like an idiot at the moment as that is soooo simple to do yet I have no freaking idea how to! (Sorry if I'm getting annoying with the same question over and over again--but honestly I have no idea of how I'm supposed to do this..)
~Thanks for responding back and thanks for reading as well~
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#862 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 12:06 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 4th Jul 2016 at 10:14 PM.
Don't apologize, I need the feedback to find problems!

It says the mesh you're trying to convert isn't valid? Or the reference? Could you upload the mesh you're trying to convert?

I'm currently trying to make the Milkshape conversion less prone to errors, one that's done I'll upload a new version with the convert options made easier.

Edit: I ran into a bug where you get that 'not valid' message if you don't set the age, gender, and especially lod. That'll be fixed - meanwhile just pick an age, gender, and lod before you proceed.

Sorry about all this - next version will have a 'no reference' override.

Son of Edit: I've uploaded a new version - now all you should have to do is select 'No reference mesh'.

Test Subject
#863 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 1:10 PM
Cmar Sorry not to answer to you sooner! Unfortunately I don't have a great wi-fi connection (only at some times) and It's been kinda hard to write here...
I don't know what I've done but it seems as it worked! Well,kinda...the mesh appears invisible (or doesn't appear at all) in my game..I chose full body but it's not even in the full body category in game.
So far I think that's cause I need to patch up my game but the thumbnail doesn't appear either which makes me kinda nervous..
Anyways I'll be trying the new version soon (thanks for making a new version!! so excited!!) and I'll probably upload the mesh as well as you said to me.
~Thanks~
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#864 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 4:54 PM
The latest versions of CAS Tools will make the new versions of CASPs and meshes, so if your game doesn't have the June patch that's probably why parts are not showing up, including the thumbnail. Sorry your wifi isn't working well!

Test Subject
#865 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 5:54 AM
Hi! Quick question, so I have meshed for TS3 and am quite familiar with the process but TS4 seems to be this completely different and lengthy process and is quite intimidating. I was wondering if your program has the same features as mesh tool kit that will allow me to transfer joints/bones to a mesh that has none and how to go about doing that. Also what other programs are best to use with this ie. blender, milkshape, or sims4studio
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#866 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 6:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by slow_no_mo
Hi! Quick question, so I have meshed for TS3 and am quite familiar with the process but TS4 seems to be this completely different and lengthy process and is quite intimidating. I was wondering if your program has the same features as mesh tool kit that will allow me to transfer joints/bones to a mesh that has none and how to go about doing that. Also what other programs are best to use with this ie. blender, milkshape, or sims4studio

Yes, TS4 meshes have more types of data than TS3 meshes and are more complicated to work with. And yes, this has the same auto-bones and several other auto functions. They apply to converting other formats to TS4 and appear on the Mesh Tools / Conversion to TS4 tab, and in most cases will construct those extra data for you. (This is still being tested.) CAS Tools is meant to be used with Milkshape although it could take an obj produced by Blender, and it's a full function tool for cloning and modifying CAS parts.

Test Subject
#867 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 10:38 PM
The latest versions of CAS Tools will make the new versions of CASPs and meshes, so if your game doesn't have the June patch that's probably why parts are not showing up, including the thumbnail. Sorry your wifi isn't working well!

Indeed it's a pain not to have a good wifi connection :'(
I've tried to patch up my game--IT WORKED!
The mesh appears normally only that it still has those freaking transparecy issues but that's another story!
Thank you for creating the new version as well! Now things are less complicated!!
~Thanks~
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#868 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 5:26 AM
No problem! I hope it's finally getting to the point of allowing full CAS modding with Milkshape.

I've been working on converting a TS3 hair to TS4 and have run into the same transparency issues, and am experimenting with trying to fix it in CAS Tools. So far I've had some luck in separating the hair layers and writing out a Milkshape file, but my attempts to reorder the layers have either made it worse or had no effect. Possibly Milkshape doesn't reorder the faces as expected when the groups are shuffled. I'll keep trying.

Test Subject
#869 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 1:46 PM
No problem! I hope it's finally getting to the point of allowing full CAS modding with Milkshape.

I've been working on converting a TS3 hair to TS4 and have run into the same transparency issues, and am experimenting with trying to fix it in CAS Tools. So far I've had some luck in separating the hair layers and writing out a Milkshape file, but my attempts to reorder the layers have either made it worse or had no effect. Possibly Milkshape doesn't reorder the faces as expected when the groups are shuffled. I'll keep trying.

When you try to reorder the layers in milkshape it's more likely to end up worse...Be careful though as Milkshape can crash pretty often and then you start again from the beginning...I've experienced some more and I ended in having no transparecy issues in the Milkshape view however in CAS Tools in the previewer tab the transparecy can clearly be seen as well as in the game.Thanks for trying though!!! It will be so much helpful!!
~Thanks~
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#870 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 12:48 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 14th Jul 2016 at 8:25 PM.
Milkshape's previewer has a few transparency settings but none of them seems to be very useful for these issues. Plus it seems to save the new layer order when I save sometimes but not others. I'm going to try more stuff including just having CAS Tools make its best guess of the right layer order.

I've attached a working version if you want to play with it - in the Mesh Tools / GEOM tools / Separate Layers tab there's the layer tool. So far it seems to work best with the default setting of Find faces by Position and UV coordinates for the fairly complex TS3 mesh I'm working with, but you can experiment - you should get more layers with the Find Faces by Shared Vertex setting or the Find Faces by Position and UV and Normals setting. Right now all it does is give you an ms3d file. Depending on the hair it may give you a lot of layers, but in Milkshape you can select them to see what they are and then regroup as necessary. When done you can convert the ms3d back to a TS4 mesh with the Conversion to TS4 mesh tab.

I also fixed the cloning tab to recognize the updated EP/SP/whatever pack system.

Edit: At least part of the problem is that Milkshape isn't saving the groups in the order I put them in. I may be able to read them in the right order when converting, though. Will try it tomorrow.

Edit: this working version removed since it's been updated.

Test Subject
#871 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 6:46 AM Last edited by giannisk13 : 13th Jul 2016 at 8:47 PM.
OMG I'm so excited!! I'll try this then I'll update with how my mesh turned out!

Update: Seems like my mesh turned out quite good-the layer tool has separated the mesh (Ambitions Bob) with the default settings quite well
I had to change the transparecy to achieve the look I wanted: From Depth Sorted Triangles to Depth Buffered with Alpha reference.I've textured the mesh and I tried to reorder the layers until my mesh was fine and then I regrouped everything together..only that the fringe has a small problem..it's kinda transparent so I had to change the mesh to 2 geoms: one for the whole mesh and one for the separated fringe.You can see the pics below: When the GEOM-00 is at the bottom the hair will look crappy but when on top it's ok.The thing is that the GEOM exporter can only export one GEOM at the time..even when I combine them the GEOM-00 will be at the bottom.The only thing I don't really like are the bottom edges but I think that this get fixed in the game.I'll be trying the other settings later on.

2ndUpdate:The other settings have done exactly the same things but with more layers. And since the are sooo many I chose not to experiment as much as I did before cause that's too complicated.I'm pretty sure that with some more work I'll end up having the same results with my 1st attempt.
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#872 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 9:40 PM
The real test is how it looks in the game. Neither the Milkshape view or CAS Tools preview seems to predict that accurately. I've been experimenting and getting very frustrated - so far everything I do makes it look worse in CAS! CAS Tools must be doing something very basic wrong, and I'm trying to figure out what it is.

Test Subject
#873 Old 14th Jul 2016 at 1:16 AM Last edited by giannisk13 : 14th Jul 2016 at 1:26 AM.
Indeed I've tested it and it looks awful.. I'm really confused as well at the moment..I'll probably think of something and I'll let you know...I've found something that might help but I need to think some more so that I'll be 100% sure 'bout what I'm saying..I've asked a creator (Anto) and he told me: ~front faces and back faces have to be separated. It's a quite tedious work, and then order them from lower or more hidden planes to the ones on top~. You may already know that but I said to say so just in case.

IDEA: So my mesh looks cool in Milkshape but in CAS Tools it's just terrible..
And since those geoms don't wanna stay in the proper order when I merge them I chose to leave my ms3d file with those two layers..
However when I choose to convert an ms3d file it's gonna say that I need a reference mesh--Thats where I got stuck..now what?
And my idea (it might be dumb) is there a chance of making the ms3d file to be converted without selecting a reference mesh?
It might not change something but...eh..
Sorry if all of these are bull***** -- I'm just saying an opinion
~thanks for reading this~
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#874 Old 14th Jul 2016 at 11:38 AM
Unfortunately you need a reference for ms3d because of the shader - although I guess I could build in a standard shader. But that shouldn't affect layer order.

I saw with the 'find faces by shared verts' option that gives you a zillion layers that it separated the front faces from the back faces of each layer - it does go from lower to higher - but maybe I can flip the layer order and see what happens? I'll get back after I try that.

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#875 Old 14th Jul 2016 at 8:23 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 16th Jul 2016 at 3:57 AM.
Progress! I have CAS Tools finding the backfaces and putting all of them underneath the out-facing layers. It's a huge improvement. You can see there are some issues remaining but progress!

Arg, just after I made this change and went to test, EA pushed another patch! And of course it didn't install right! But I finally got it working and have attached screen grabs.

I've also attached the updated CAS Tools. You'll see there's now an option to do the backfaces separately. The default settings should be best, at least I think so. Just ignore the Start Point; I haven't done anything with that yet. Also the Conversion to TS4 will take a Milkshape mesh with the groups still separated so if you change the order and use that option the TS4 mesh will have the groups in the right order. (You don't have to regroup in MS.) As for reference, the easiest thing is to export a long hair mesh and use that, or use the standard and uncheck the auto bones if you want to keep the bone assignments.

EDIT: Important - in the Conversion to TS4 mesh tab, uncheck the Clean Mesh option. It's messing up the UV mapping as I discovered after a day of banging my head against texture weirdness. I'll get it fixed later.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  S4CASTools_2_0_0_4.zip (3.80 MB, 17 downloads) - View custom content

Locked thread | Locked by: CmarNYC Reason: Tool now in Downloads - comments should go there.
Page 35 of 36