Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 5:55 PM
Default Trying to make invisible gate but failing badly
I followed the guide on how to clone a painting and tried to apply this to a gate and made the gate as opaque as possible. I genuinely thought this would work. Now I haven't a clue about making 3D graphics, as far as I was aware if I changed the gate colour to blue it would result in a blue gate, so making it opaque should make it invisible, right? Wrong. Something isn't happening and I don't know why. It won't show up in Sims 3 after doing all the final steps of importing the new image and setting the price and description. I don't know what to do, I just know I'm fed up of waiting years for someone to decide to make an invisible gate to go with the invisible fence that I am saying to hell with it and making my own with no idea what the hell I'm doing.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 26th Nov 2012 at 11:22 AM
Have you considered using Buzzler's VanishingObjects script?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3 Old 26th Nov 2012 at 11:32 AM
BTW, opaque is the diametric opposite of transparent. Semi-transparent is in between. Translucent means it lets light through but you can't actually make out objects behind it - translucent as a real raytracing phenomenon does not happen in The Sims, it is simulated by adding light source to windows.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Dec 2012 at 5:02 AM
The vanishing objects script only seems to work on buy objects, don't see any build objects included in the currently supported script classes.

Well I dunno how to do this stuff and it looks like I need a 3D editing program to muck about with the meshes rather than trying to do it in gimp. I'm not willing to cash out for one just for 1 thing and never use it again, so I'll make do with invisible arches that someone else created.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#5 Old 4th Dec 2012 at 7:47 AM
So get blender, which is free?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#6 Old 4th Dec 2012 at 2:11 PM
Build objects such as gates would work with the vanishing scripts if you ask Buzzler to add that class to it. Or you could create your own as I did, it works quite well for gate. But fences don't have scripts included in the packages to be able to apply it to them.

Why not use the set already uploaded?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Dec 2012 at 5:27 PM
I tried creating it, it didn't work.

The set that's on MTS is for sims 2 btw.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Dec 2012 at 8:36 PM
I did... what am I missing? I've searched like every single day for an invisible gate. Only thing I found was an invisible fence.
Test Subject
#10 Old 7th Mar 2015 at 8:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by geekgirl101
I did... what am I missing? I've searched like every single day for an invisible gate. Only thing I found was an invisible fence.

Old post, I know. But I'm here (again) looking for an invisible gate ... which is not to be found with the invisible fences on MTS for S3. Been searching for a few YEARS now, still haven't found one.