Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 9:48 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 24th Nov 2015 at 10:10 PM.
Default Alternatives to the Real Sickness Mod? (long thread)
This thread overlaps with WCIF.
I decided to add more families to my hood but now its is getting very large because these families added were family farmers, so I wanted them to have many kids with no control over the gender choice. But because this hood is growing too fast, I often use plagues and childbirth risks. However, the spreedsheets i use start to become overwhelming and confusing as many start to get indentical names (alphabetic name system which I wont change). I'm consider new options to keep the population in bay.... errr somewhat!
Im sure I will get reactions like: Why would I want to add families if I want to kill them later on? Well, for some this may be stupid to do, but for me, I actually like this sort of playstyle! Having lots of families but "declutter" them once in a while. Im not exactly sentimental about sims nor killing them for "fun". Its just add a touch of realism to not having every single sims live in a happy fairly tale until they are 80+ you know (and of course, it will ease managing them!) ?

Ive been considered using real life sickness mod, but no matter how I see on it, its way too extreme for my taste. Being a "clumsy" player when it comes to motives, most of sims would probably die from it and thats why Im not so fond of that mod. (read: kill SOME sims once in a while, NOT many sims).

So I wondering, for people who do NOT use real life sickness mod, are there are any other alternatives related to sickness that are less extreme that affect all ages and not global? I was thinking if something like a object, food, or mod that make sims sick faster but not affecting the entire hood. Real Sickness seems to be global and thats one thing I don't like about it. (and there are many families I don't want to get killed and using Insim "immune" on everyone seems to be a pain in a butt. ) Does something like that even exist?

I know there are tons of object where you can click on a sim to kill them off and lots of thread related to that, but its not what Im exactly looking for. Before I had more control over it, but now it now it getting overwhelmed to manuall randomize the "destiny" of each sims, each generation. Also, Im not the kind of person who force my sims to have 1-2 kid per family nor move them away to a different place far away and pretend they are away. Tryied and Done that. I didnt find it enjoyble and doesnt sync with the way I play the sims. My sims has relastic ages so I dont want to have hundreds of 300 years old simmies in another subhood -----unless they were vampires. Nor want to go and edit dozen of lots for that option. Having Immortal, unplayable sims is never an option.
Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 11:57 PM
There is an option on Insim that can make sims sicks without having to wait on it (from coachroaches, cold, flu etc), but the problem with this is that I still have to choose sims to get sick from it. Also, unmodded sickness are quiet easy to cure. (With real life sickness, I don't know but its seems to affect too many sims). As I prefer them to get sick faster without my doings and without making an entire household get caught by it.

Hrrmmmm... Perhaps Im just waaay to picky with the method of killing them off from illness.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 5:59 AM
I would roll a die. 1 could be die of satellite, 2 die of illness, 3 die of fright, 4 die of flies, 5 die of electrocution, 6 your life is spared! That way you get ghosts colours for your cemetery. Or you could use cow plant, food poisoning, axe, gun or drowning. All can be cheated. I had a lot of deaths back in my old game since my main family was the sim mafia. They were always looking for new ways to bump of other sims.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 6:48 AM
I don't think that real sickness makes illness more likely to spread. I think that in the vanilla game some diseases are still really contagious.
Scholar
#7 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 7:13 AM
Real-sickness does not affect to the chances of spreading but to how difficult it is to get cured.

I'm a quite controlling kind of player so it's quite easy for me to cure some before the it becomes a plague (even though sometimes I am sorry some of them die, such as a teen who was a single child and died in my last rotation).
Also: GRANDMA'S CONFORT SOUP! :D
Yep, family Sims become a really valuable asset in the times of epidemic.

Anyway if this mod is way too much for your game, you may try food poisoning your Sims. Because poisoning is not contagious.
Make sure you always have food lying around, some will eventually be eaten too late - autonomously if it pleases you. (And you also have a slim chance of death by flies.)
Test Subject
#8 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 8:12 AM Last edited by simmodder : 25th Nov 2015 at 9:03 AM.
I do use realsickness, but then I also use lots of tricks to avoid sims dying of disease:

As mentioned above, grandmas comfort soup makes dealing with disease much easier. Every family has at least one sim with family aspiration primary or secondary plus grandmas comfort soup perk.
You can use the visitor controller to "ban plague" and lessen the chance of sims getting sick in the first place (they still can get sick from work/school/roaches/being too cold of course).
If they die, you can plead with the grim reaper to save them, if you can get to him and if your relationship is high enough you can get up to a 90% chance of saving them.

And I don't see death as permanent in the sims:

If I get the genies lamp I will use it to ressurect a sim, if I feel it's appropriate.
I use this mod (just the university career reward package) to allow the Resurrect-O-Nomitron to be obtained as a aspiration reward, and then sims can pay to have their lost family members resurrected, if they have the cash and I feel it's appropriate.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 1:13 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 25th Nov 2015 at 2:27 PM.
Lol... I clearly didnt think outside the box.

Simmodder. I completly forget that you can ban it with visitor controller. I got scared of using it because its seems like players got many entire households wiped out and that some couldnt get cured even if they were sleeping for hours. So thats why Im little bit "scared" off using it. (I only want one die "once in a while", not entire families)

I know they can die naturally from the vanilla diseases, but I find them a little bit slow mainly because I play them rather quickly (max 80days per lifespan, skipping some stages like infant and toddler, plus using some sims as side characters that are only interacted with, but aged up for some rotations). It helps to reduce the burden of going through them all, but the fallback is that its harder to get them sick or caught in accidents without me interfering all the time.

But I don't promote ressurection in my game. I rather quit withut saving if its too late or if I saved not too long ago.

Regarding rolling, usually I use to roll the death of the entire hood or one-by-one, so perhaps I should consider rolling larger family or social classes, because its the poverty and up to the middle classes, I want to get the highest chance of getting the plauge, as option instead. Rolling a list of 50 sims seems to more bearable (or easier to track who-is-who) instead of 400+ (without the children included my hood has around 400+ sims ).

My goal with the killing is keeping the population/birth rate even out when a sim die from something now and then (rather than all at once or "okay, mr X will die in this lot, miss x in another). There are always someone who will take their place.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 6:12 PM
I'm another that uses the real sickness mod, and still find it easy enough to cure sick sims. The only sims who died of illness were ones I deliberately kept too active to heal. I only had one sim that resisted getting better, who kept getting re-infected after finishing soup, and was too active to rest for long. Since I really wanted that sim to live, I used simblender to drain his energy so that he stayed asleep until he finally was cured.

If you are looking for a different way to risk killing sims and possibly randomize it, and have Seasons, you could try the Wrath of Gods Statue at simwardrobe. I haven't used it yet, but it looks like it brings a disaster (fire, locusts/flies, or lightning) to a wide area of a lot, giving a chance of death to any sims near the statue (I'm not sure if it effects the whole lot, or just the area near the statue). If used on a community lot, you could either use visitor controller to bring in or ban sims, or you could leave it up to chance as to who turns up on the lot. I'm sorry I can't describe what the actual effect is - I keep meaning to test it as I am considering adding it to my game when my 'hood gets larger, but keep finding other things to do with my sims instead.
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 6:22 PM
stiching. Ive the wrath of gods statue and the time I was playing with, it sets everything on fire and kill off all sims (though I think you can make them immun against it with Insim) so nah, Im not sure thats the effect I want because it wipe too many sims at the same time.

Killing off sims while they visit a lot has been something Ive been considering before, but cant figure how to use that idea into practice.
Ive a group of supernaturals, "ghouls" (a mod I downloaded where vampires make sims into slaves that are like sim humans but more or less immortal) and plan to add a group of maffia'a/criminals soon. When its set up, they will cause drama in the hood, draining them on funds, food and take their daughters. As for the ghouls, I made these less immortal (aging them up when I feel it) and a subsitute to the vampires, rather than having too many vampires that live a long life, I rather have, "undead" slaves who do the evil works that live slightly longer than normal sims instead.
Test Subject
#12 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 6:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Florentzina
Simmodder. I completly forget that you can ban it with visitor controller.

Yeah, I've been using that option a lot recently, it's very useful when disease is getting out of hand and annoying.

I got scared of using it because its seems like players got many entire households wiped out and that some couldnt get cured even if they were sleeping for hours. So thats why Im little bit "scared" off using it. .

Were they/were you using the fixed version or the broken version tough? The first version had a bug where sims would get worse when sleeping, instead of getting better, you need to make sure you get the fixed version.

But I don't promote ressurection in my game. I rather quit withut saving if its too late or if I saved not too long ago.

It might turn out to be a bit of an addiction, I've had 4 sims die of disease since I started playing again recently, one I plead for successfully and two I resurrected, only one I left dead (a mother died leaving her teenage daughters to care for themselves, by the time they could have resurrected her they were themselves adults and had moved on). My hood is much smaller than your though so it's not really a problem for me.

Another mod I remember seeing but haven't tried myself is this one - the Plague Well might interest you.
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 7:04 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 25th Nov 2015 at 8:03 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmodder
Were they/were you using the fixed version or the broken version tough? The first version had a bug where sims would get worse when sleeping, instead of getting better, you need to make sure you get the fixed version.
(Ressurection) It might turn out to be a bit of an addiction, I've had 4 sims die of disease since I started playing again recently, one I plead for successfully and two I resurrected, only one I left dead (a mother died leaving her teenage daughters to care for themselves, by the time they could have resurrected her they were themselves adults and had moved on). My hood is much smaller than your though so it's not really a problem for me.

Well, Its just comments Ive seen different forums/threads, so I don't know, but ever since I read that entire households got wiped out, I was a bit hesistant of using it.

I don't like to ressurect sims become the graves are acting a bit wonky for a time now. Not exactly corrupted, but Im unable to ressurect sims who has gone lost in transits. Wanting to take a picture once, I ressurected a sim that like, ended up corrupted the hood and had to dig out one generation older back up. Ive nocorrupt death and nounlinkondelete, so dissappearing graves are not the issue but when ressurecting is. Ive been too lazy to fix this issue with graves so I rather avoid ressurecting them in case this bug do this again. I read somewhere that other players experienced something similare where they can't ressurect sims from buggy graves.

Ive too many sim to get bothered by it anyways and I prefer to have a lot of sims because its hard to find a spouse because I use relastic aging (don't like to mate a "uncle" to a teenager or having too many "cougars" ) and the founders were too closely related even many generations later, so I needed to add more families. I don't like to have family sims with just 1-2 kids, so for the farmers and lower classes, I tends to give them 3 to 6 kids depending on what the spouse's aspiration is. Because of that, the population grow at very fast rate. At generation 8, I had 900 characters file, now near gen 10, Ive 1400 and still have 60% of the couples need some kids. Ive about 120 households in total. The grandparents are still alive because they are in their late 50's and 60's and a little early to kill them off. The parents are middle aged and the kids are no older than teen/young adult, so Ive three generation families right now,, some has 7-10 sims living on same lots and definitly need some "declutter" at some point.

Quote:
Another mod I remember seeing but haven't tried myself is this one - the Plague Well might interestyou.

I think Ive downloaded those wells before and tested the friends and love wells (but deleted them long ago), but the plague well does spark some interests. Seems to be close to what Im looking because they get effected by when being near it so I don't need to direct them to do it. :lovestruc Would useful at kid breeding families with 4-6 kids who are family oriented because they can make grandma's soup. If I don't want to have them killed I might remove the well and try cure them. Thats an area Im not experienced with, so Im not sure how it would goes. As I said before, Im a clumsy player with motives and strategies.
Scholar
#14 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 8:21 PM
An evilish idea - if you have Uni and OFB:
Put a cowplant in your lot and create a home business. Open the business whenever the cowplant gets hungry, a random client/victim will walk by and be eaten. Then close the bussiness until next time.
It won't be a popular shop but you'll be able to get rid of a random inhabitant without the risk of a plague spreading.

Gosh, now I even want to try it myself xD
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 8:46 PM
A cow eating "humans" during year 1750 which is the year of my hood .... I would rather open a home business and kill them off with Simwardrobe sword instead which I sometimes use for suicides. The Cowplant is rather hilarious thing but it doesnt suit my hood exactly. (Im not strictly making it look like 18th centuary but aliens, plantsims and cow heads on plants are a bit waay off. I dont care if a sim strolling around in mini shorts or most maxi clothes but this is not related to this thread).
Mad Poster
#16 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 9:13 PM
I think I see the signs of an overpopulated hood here
Scholar
Original Poster
#17 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 9:18 PM
JustPetro. It was overpopulated ages ago, but for me, thats no reason to quit and start over. I rather kill sims off than to start a new hood.
When I read other people had much more than 60-or so households (didnt you had 250 households ) I got motivated to add the rest, but went ....um a bit overboard? XD But the most faulty overpopulation cause is letting the game choice gender, last time I got so many girls and had made them cheat with married hubbies, becoming mistresses to vampires or enter the monastry. NOW, I get waay to many boys, I tends to count the amount of households based on how many "mature" boys Ive as I rarely have females live alone unless they are divorced or widowed.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 10:41 PM
What about Sophie-David's wells? Isn't there one of them that's both autonomous and causes disease? I haven't played with them hardly at all, but if I'm right, you could put it on a community lot and whoever chooses to drink from it gets to die.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#19 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 1:34 AM
If you're feeling brave then the batbox has this option.

XXVIII. Decimate Neighborhood (debug only) (do not use!)
10% of your neighborhood is randomly given the death token, causing immediate death on lot load. DO NOT USE THIS OPTION. Will give warning box if you attempt to touch it.
Inventor
#20 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 9:46 AM
Do you ever go on Plumbob Keep (you mentioned your hood year is in the 1700s and they specialize in historic things from pre-history to the early 1900s, as well as steampunk items, so it seems like a site which might be relevant to your interest regardless)?

Sun and Moon actually make a few useable items (OFB required, since they're designated as "crafting stations") which you could use, specifically the chicken/poultry coops and the harvestable mushrooms.

The chickens/poultry are cloned from roaches, so if your sims spend too much time around them or place the coop along the side of the house they will end up getting the flu a lot. And it is very easy for them to spend too much time around them (including autonomously), since there's not only an option for them to "play" with the poultry, but I also often catch my sims playing games of catch inside the chicken pen for some reason. Plus your (surviving lol) family members get harvestable eggs or even chicken carcasses you can either sell or stock the fridge with.

Alternatively, the harvestable mushrooms have both a non and a poisonous variety, with the poisonous ones instantly giving your sims food poisoning as well as a SEVERE motive drop. They come in little one-tile patches which are cloned from the weeds, so they self-replicate as well. The non-poisonous ones will give your sim a "meal" of mushrooms which they can sell or set out and eat, and the poisonous ones will give you a jar of poisonous shrooms which you can either sell or keep as materials for another crafting station which they are currently working on (the apocethary station for making things like poisons and potions, and last I heard was rather close to realise).
As I said, the motive drop is severe. Having them harvest two patches in a row will tank all of their motives completely, and harvesting three in a row WILL kill them. They are also useable for all sims child and up.

I'm on my phone, so I can't direct link, but to find them under the main site, just go to Sundry Goods and Wares (downloads section)-->Joiners Studio (furniture and useable items)---> Sun & Moon's Star Factory. They have a LOT of useful stuff for a rural/farming game (even if you do not play historically, like myself), including additional crops--so now your farming families get to actually TOIL and have a much larger means of supporting and feeding themselves, as well as the ability to branch out to different types of farming (poultry, vegetable, fruits, herbs, roots and tubers, grains eventually [also on the "soon to be released" list]), or even hunters/trappers.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 12:05 PM
My sims have never gotten the flu from the chickens and I don't think modders of their experience would accidentally port the flu over with them. My guess is you had a flu square spawn near them. You can get rid of the invisible flu square with the stuck object remover.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#22 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 8:59 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 28th Nov 2015 at 9:09 PM.
anothereyjana
Well, my hood is only inspired by the 18th centuary (curently mid) and because my laptop isnt the best one for games, I rather keep CC free, so there are many things Ive ignored about the era such as the visuals.

My laptop's fan has started to hate the game and make annoying noices everytime I play it (the cpu "eat" at least 65% so I avoid using other programs when running TS2). Im not sure how much CC objects would affect this, but I like to keep object low. (The sophie-dave wells, I only downloaded two of) and have less than 1.5GB on it (currently 1.2GB because I replaced some of the maxi clothes and hairs/makeup with CC defaults instead of downloading ones that require meshes to work or that make the catalogue bigger. Ive all the EP and SP installed which take already a long time to load )

(Not a reply)
I think I will test out the Plague well that simmodder suggested and using the rolls for one social group instead of the entire population.

But giving myself some thoughts, I might start doing a war or something, because the 10th generation crown prince just got born (err technically he is now a 12 years old child, becoming a teen next rotation ) and its time for some new "rules" (yeah, I "fast forward" the hood again by aging them up a few decades. ). Because with 120 households, my rule of having an alphabetic english naming on EVERY sim start to become a pain in the butt (Only heirs will follow the name tradition) and I m tempted to create a mini group of foreigner families who will steal the throne from the 10generation king. ......who never had a real castle to begin with. After Im done with setting up the rest families, I will start working on houses and lower the population count with a plague. Eventually there will be a rebellion of some sort so Withea Dale can have a new king with actually castle..... ermmm "hopefully".
Mad Poster
#23 Old 29th Nov 2015 at 3:56 AM
Florentzina, I hope you have a savings for new computer piggy bank! A fan might be replaceable, but it's not a good sign when it starts to make a rattle, and laptops are harder to replace parts on than desktops. And back up all your stuff every time you work on it, okay? (You do have a cooling unit under your laptop, right? Or it's at least elevated a couple inches above the desk?)

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Scholar
Original Poster
#24 Old 29th Nov 2015 at 4:18 AM
Sunbee.
haha well, I do have savings when electronics breaks, I often buy cheaper laptops so they are not too expensive to replace which happenes every third year or so. (Im not sure what they cost in other countries, but converted it's less than 350$/€ or 230£), which what "cheap" ones cost here)
but I plan to look to buy a cooling pad and replacing the fan to a better one soon (currently have it on the bed with a plastic or wooden food "mat" as I don't have place for a desk. my closet/drawers take up all the place ). Ive back ups on an extra hardwire. Recently, I researched a little bit about the fan issue. My laptop got better now after removing dozen of those background processors and not having multiply programs up at the same time.

Trying to be nice to my laptop is why I can't totally make over the hood to the era I wanted (but don't really want to buy a expensive computer or a deskop just for TS2) I don't think it would handle it.