Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Oct 2015 at 5:13 PM Last edited by Kankritty : 16th Jan 2016 at 10:17 AM.
Default Scone or Scone?
Scone as in cone (/ˈskoʊn/) or Scone as in gone (/ˈskɒn/)?
How do you say the name of one of my favourite foods?

This is a scone, for those of you that don't know:

I'm Welsh and I say "When it's gone, it scone"

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 9th Oct 2015 at 5:25 PM Last edited by coolsim22 : 9th Oct 2015 at 5:37 PM.
I work in a cafe (every six weeks), that sells scones and I'm sure I've heard customers say scone both ways, that maybe because that's just the way they say it or because of where they come from, I think most of the customers are local though, the cafe is in the North West of Britain by the way.

since I don't eat scones, I don't really know how I naturally say it, as it's a word I rarely or never use.
wait I just found out I naturally say scone like s(gone) or it may vary, I don't know.

Life is like a rollercoaster. It has its ups and downs. But it's your choice to scream or enjoy the ride
Cottage feedback- would be greatly appreciated
Simple Holiday House - great for parties and relaxation
Mad Poster
#3 Old 9th Oct 2015 at 5:33 PM
I say it like s(cone), but I have no clue what the 'right' way is.
Scholar
#4 Old 9th Oct 2015 at 6:13 PM
Here in the states, I've heard it said both ways.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 9th Oct 2015 at 6:14 PM
I grew up in Greater Manchester where everyone calls it a scon, but I currently reside in Mid-Wales where I've heard a mixture of Scon and Scone.
I call it a scone, because in my strange welsh-birmingham-manchester hybrid accent it sounds really unnatural as a "scon".

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#6 Old 9th Oct 2015 at 8:16 PM
The southwest, if you hear it pronounced like "gone," it's a pretty good clue that the person talking is visiting... I've never heard anyone say it was the wrong way to pronounce it, but everyone I can think of who lives here pronounces it like "cone."

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 9th Oct 2015 at 9:01 PM Last edited by r_deNoube : 9th Oct 2015 at 9:18 PM. Reason: re-ordering
Quote: Originally posted by Viktor86
I would say scone to me as a non native speaker, that alternative somehow doesn't make sense to me...
... whereas native speakers have about given up hope that English spelling would make sense, especially for vowels. (cone, gone, done, one)

I say "s(cone)" when I make them at home. In a tea house, I guess I'd say "s(gone)" merely because it's part of the game.
But on Vancouver Island it wouldn't surprise me if they're in the "s(gone)" camp, I'll have to listen for it next time I'm there.

Now especially of those who say "s(gone)", let me ask about another pair of words:
Do you say (or hear) "caught" and "cot" the same, or differently?
(In my West Coast mainland dialect, the "aw/ah" distinction has been almost completely lost.)
Mad Poster
#8 Old 9th Oct 2015 at 9:19 PM
"caught" is a bit more drawn out with emphasis on the vowel sound, while "cot" has a short "o" and "t" (like "hot").
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 9th Oct 2015 at 9:52 PM
My mum tries to annoy me and say s(cone).

Theorist
#10 Old 9th Oct 2015 at 10:07 PM
It's pronounced biscuit (BIS-kit). :D
#11 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 1:07 AM
Scone as in cone

I don't think I've ever had scones
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 1:23 AM
Both are correct, it simply depends where you come from. Here in Aus we call it a scone (gone)

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#14 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 10:04 AM
I'm another notherner and say scon. I say caught though not cot. Caught has the word aught in it.

Scones originated in Scotland and the north so I'd say, if anything, that's the correct pronunciation. Some people say scones are named after Scone (the place) but I don't think that can be right since you say Scone scoon.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#15 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 11:29 AM
I use both pronunciations interchangeably actually. Though most that speak English in my area use s(gone).

As for biscuit, well, I usually pronounce that as bus-get. It's due to accent.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Scholar
#16 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 11:41 AM
Scone as in gone, the only correct way to say it. As an Australian I believe it is my duty to glass anyone who pronounced it in the neanderthalish "s-cone" way whilst they're in my presence.

I'm in a real rage over the idea that people would pronounce it that other way.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 2:57 PM
I've never heard scone as in gone before. I've learned something new!
Inventor
#18 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 9:44 PM
another north westerner here. i say scon. scone is for them *posh lot* down south. lol

ps, i like my scons with strawberry jam and clotted cream.

oh yeah, and biscuits (ie, digestives n the like), get dunked in tea or coffee. :P

'You're a pretty pair of babies, playing with your live doll' Mrs Higgins, My fair Lady
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 9:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
Scone as in gone, the only correct way to say it. As an Australian I believe it is my duty to glass anyone who pronounced it in the neanderthalish "s-cone" way whilst they're in my presence.

I'm in a real rage over the idea that people would pronounce it that other way.

But they are so amusing when they do, I say let them keep doing it!

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#20 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 11:00 PM
I probably say s(cone) about 85% of the time. My mom probably switches it up about 50/50. Maybe as far as 60/40 in favour of s(gone).

We're Irish, for those who're keeping track. She grew up in the country while I was born and raised in the city. Wonder if that has any influence?

no power in the verse can stop me
ge smak daun, gyon op nodotaim
jus nou drein jus daun
Scholar
#21 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 11:31 PM
How about I just admit to avoiding the word as much as possible? But I do like the cheese ones we made that one time at school. I've had them a few times since, but they weren't all mine. Everyone I know says it differently, and some people give you real crazy looks for saying it differently. Its like glass and glass, bath and bath. All I know is that I switch pronunciation all the time
Scholar
#22 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 11:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
But they are so amusing when they do, I say let them keep doing it!

They pronounce it "s-cone" like gross inbred royals. It's not funny, it's horrifying.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 2:39 AM
Well exactly, when they say it I think of cone heads.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#24 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 6:29 AM
I say scone, rhymes with cone. Whatever way you pronounce it, they taste delicious!
Scholar
Original Poster
#25 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 12:08 PM
I heard it pronounced both ways on the Great British Bake Off before.

Page 1 of 4