Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Creator Theme: Space! - posted on 8th Jul 2018 at 6:02 PM
Replies: 15 (Who?), Viewed: 569 times.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th May 2018 at 9:53 PM Last edited by nitromon : Yesterday at 1:01 AM.
Default Riverview Transformation (FINISHED! WOOHOO!)
I posted a long long time ago that I would slowly transform my Riverview naturally to have a hi-rise downtown like Bridgeport. It is going slowly, but I guess it is at least progressing. Maybe in a couple more years I'll have it finished.

Nothing fancy, it is actually a lot easier than I thought. I'm just changing the current buildings into hi-rises. You may recognize them - the Spa, consignment building, and the Cherry blossom building.

You can still see the 1st floor of the spa lot, but it is just a lobby now, with the spa moved to the top floor.

This is a remake of the police station.

------- EDITED -------

More Screenshots!

Finished Screenshots!

------- EDITED -------
Screenshots

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 27th May 2018 at 12:29 PM Last edited by nitromon : 27th May 2018 at 1:00 PM.
Ooo thread got approved. Now I feel pressured to update this thread.

Modified a couple more high-rises as I slowly continue to transform Riverview downtown.

This was a lot where I replicated the original Bistro rabbithole. You can still see the resemblance in the 1st floor. It was a combo of cafeteria + bistro + hotel. Now it is a high-rise, with the hotel room on the top floor and a spa room on top.

This was originally a park, I build a 3 story gym + club + hotel. Still the same function, but now a highrise with a small open park.

Removed the rabbithole cityhall and built actually right on top of the foundation, with a fountain plaza and open parking. It is a business plaza lot with cityhall rabbithole and a cafe.

This was in the 1st post, but a couple more shots of the police station.

Anyways, slowly tugging along. Hopefully by the time I'm done, this downtown will look like Bridgeport.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 27th May 2018 at 12:57 PM
Looks great. These high-rise lots don't look particularly out of place either. It's a shame the wallpapers don't make for very convincing windows, though. I've had to mess around a lot with those to get them to look anywhere near satisfactory.

Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88 - it's the hottest new show on YT this season!
Already renewed for '89!

(Oh, and follow me on my Tumblr.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th May 2018 at 1:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrijzePilion
Looks great. These high-rise lots don't look particularly out of place either. It's a shame the wallpapers don't make for very convincing windows, though. I've had to mess around a lot with those to get them to look anywhere near satisfactory.

Thanks! You got any advice on how to make the wallpaper look more like windows? I'm just using the reflective metal pattern. I guess it would help if I actually make more of an effort on the building structure itself like denting in for the window parts. But I'm reluctant to actually spend a lot of time designing b/c if it becomes too much work, I think I'll lose motivation again and just stop working on it. So far these are done really quickly, I'm only stretching the 2nd floor of the current buildings and then make a few modifications on the top floors.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 27th May 2018 at 1:31 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 27th May 2018 at 1:50 PM.
Yeah gimme a sec, I have a bunch of fake CFE towers here I can show you.

EDIT:

The buildings on the left and the right use "Mission" style panelling from the Panelling category. The former is a contemporary (2005-2015) style and the latter is postmodern (1985-1990). The building in the middle uses a wood square pattern from Late Night, and while you can't see it in this picture, it reflects the world around it. Also 80s postmodern. In real life, this building serves as a giant mirror. On cloudy days, it reflects the sky so perfectly that it almost disappears into the sky (pretty isn't it).

The crown of the rightmost building (a recreation of FOX Plaza, the building seen in the original Die Hard). Again there's wall panelling in a Mission style, coloured in with granite and metallic textures.

Mid '70s, '60s and late '80s, from left to right. All wall panelling, except for the middle building which uses the same wood tiles used on the giant mirror from the first picture.

I generally find that the more cluttered your wall textures are, the more convincing they look. The ones I use have shading, bump maps, they're reflective and the parts of them that aren't windows tend to have some clearly visible material on them.

Already renewed for '89!

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th May 2018 at 2:59 AM
Quote:
I generally find that the more cluttered your wall textures are, the more convincing they look.

I really like the buildings you and Volvemon created. They are not just highrise, but skyscrapers! I think what I'm building right now are merely just tall buildings. But when I get to the lots in the middle of the island, I want them to be taller. I'll follow the video you posted earlier, hopefully making them even twice as tall. Thanks for your tips, I'll definitely incorporate them into those buildings.

When I first decided to do this conversion, I had thought of completely clearing the lots b/c those lots are actually really small, like 15x20, etc... but since I was only able to get them to 14 floor, it didn't seem like they need that big of a ground floor. So I simply stretch the 2nd floor up while leaving the foundation alone. It takes a fraction of the time to do this than to completely redesign a lot. The window wallpaper placements are matching the actual window slots on the playable floors. I'm still considering what to do with those middle lots. I want them taller, so they should have a bigger foundation to look architectually convincing. But that means leaving no ground floor for open space.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Test Subject
#7 Old 28th May 2018 at 2:03 PM
holy heck all these pictures look really good aha
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Jul 2018 at 3:00 PM Last edited by nitromon : 21st Jul 2018 at 3:35 PM.
Default WOW! I Finished!
So you can compare this finished version with the previous screenshots. The whole middle of the island is now a hip-hopping nightlife downtown.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 21st Jul 2018 at 4:25 PM
Nice cluster! Looks good to me. All you need now is some Create a Style to spice things up, and you're set.

Already renewed for '89!

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old Yesterday at 12:17 AM
Quote:
Nice cluster! Looks good to me. All you need now is some Create a Style to spice things up, and you're set.

Thanks! What's Create a Style?

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Test Subject
#11 Old Yesterday at 10:46 AM
Looks great. I love the initiative to use the wallpaper to look like windows. I would never have thought of something like that and would probably be tearing my hairs out, crying and giving up, haha. That said, I have yet to venture into world makeovers.
Mad Poster
#12 Old Yesterday at 3:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
Thanks! What's Create a Style?

I.......don't really know how to answer that. How long have you been playing The Sims 3?

Already renewed for '89!

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old Yesterday at 4:05 PM
Quote:
I.......don't really know how to answer that. How long have you been playing The Sims 3?

lol I don't know what you mean earlier. What does it mean have some "create a style?"

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Mad Poster
#14 Old Yesterday at 6:17 PM
Have some probably the most important new feature in TS3, that was removed in TS4.

Already renewed for '89!

Test Subject
#15 Old Yesterday at 8:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
lol I don't know what you mean earlier. What does it mean have some "create a style?"

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Create_a_Style

Really, how long have you been playing TS3? And not customized any colors??
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old Today at 12:56 AM
AHHHHHHH lol

Yes, I know there's a CAS tool. I don't know what is being suggested. You mean I should change the textures of the buildings?

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.