Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Mar 2013 at 7:38 AM
Default My Game Keeps Crashing and I've Run Out of Ideas....
So, the Sims 3 keeps crashing on my laptop and I have no idea why. I've tried everything (uninstalling, getting rid of mods, cc, etc.) and I've run out of ideas. It'll black screen, windows will tell me that the Sims 3 has crashed and that they are looking for a solution, and lol they never come up with one.

At first I thought it might be my sad Intel HD graphics card, but it never gave me any problems before (okay graphics, no lag), so I'm not sure.

Could be heat as well, but I checked that too, and my computers heat is only mid range (50-60) after the crashes.

So, does anyone have any ideas? My comp. specs are below (also I have every expansion save for uni, seasons, and showtime and i only have the decades stuff pack).

System Information:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
System Model: Satellite P775
BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/30/12 11:36:36 Ver: AMI APTIO 2.20
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6052MB RAM
Page File: 3191MB used, 8910MB available
Windows Dir: C:\windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Display Devices:
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0126&SUBSYS_FC001179&REV_09
Display Memory: 1696 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 1632 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: AUO139E
Native Mode: 1600 x 900(p) (60.112Hz)
Output Type: Internal
Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumdx32,igd10umd32,igd10umd32
Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.2430 (English)
Driver Version: 8.15.10.2430
DDI Version: 10.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 6/27/2011 12:55:46, 8296960 bytes
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 10th Mar 2013 at 7:09 PM
When you play the game with an integrated graphics chip, you're likely doing damage to your computer every time that you play. Eventually, that damage starts to show up. That may be what's happening to you now. Here are some FAQs which explain the problem:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...nboard_Graphics
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...r_is_Like_a_Car
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Mar 2013 at 8:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
When you play the game with an integrated graphics chip, you're likely doing damage to your computer every time that you play. Eventually, that damage starts to show up. That may be what's happening to you now. Here are some FAQs which explain the problem:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...nboard_Graphics
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...r_is_Like_a_Car

Okay, so is there any way to fix the problem short of buying a new computer? I just got this laptop last August, and I don't want it to fail on me so soon.

I know since I have an integrated chip, I can't install any new graphics cards, but is there anything else I can do to lighten the load, at least until I can buy a really nice gaming laptop?

(also how soon till the graphics chip completely fails? Any guesses?)
Test Subject
#4 Old 10th Mar 2013 at 9:02 PM
If you want to lighten the load, try playing less and with low graphic settings. However, know that as long as you keep playing on that computer, you're damaging it.
Others with more experience might have other solutions, and will be better at giving the estimate you ask for, though I doubt anyone can know for sure how long it will last through the strain of running the game.
Site Helper
#5 Old 10th Mar 2013 at 10:06 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 10th Mar 2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Removed Sims 2 advice.
That article that I linked contains a bunch of suggestions for reducing the strain on your computer. One of the biggest things that you can do is to uninstall most of your EPs. I would definitely avoid anything from Pets on, since Pets seems to be the EP where people really start to experience problems with the Intel chips. Note that the Store Edition should not be installed, since it uses one of the later EP's game engines.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 10th Mar 2013 at 10:12 PM
I believe the advice regarding Pets applies only to TS2, although uninstalling EPs will help in general with either game.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Site Helper
#7 Old 10th Mar 2013 at 11:08 PM
Oops. I forgot that this was Sims 3. Can you suggest which Sims 3 EPs might be OK with that chip?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Mar 2013 at 3:27 AM
Yeah I think I'll lower my graphic settings and uninstall Pets (never liked that EP anyway). Hopefully that'll give my computer some life till I can buy a good gaming computer. Thanks everyone for the help, really appreciate it!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 11th Mar 2013 at 10:53 AM
Well, none of them, really. The Intel 4000 might be ok with the basegame, though that's speculation; but all other Intel chips have been unsupported from basegame onwards, for good reason.

In addition, patches increase load in a similar way to EPs for TS3, although some EP-only features (like weather) are obviously big contributors regardless of patches.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.