Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#16226 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 10:24 AM
The population of the world, will the sims walking around and interacting only be the ones with physical houses or will there be townies (homeless) also. Although I am not worried about only having a total of 25 lots to work with right now but I want to know how the lots be populated with 20 sims at any time when visiting community lots? If we have homeless yet part of the day to day going on in the world, I can understand how that will work, then the number of playable households don't have to be large.

Will there be a need for population control? I am worried about file bloating and how the game will create the sims from otherworld, homeless. I hope that one lesson they learned from Sims 3 to have some type of system that controls how many townies will be allotted to keep the file size reasonable. I have so many questions, hopefully they will release more before Gamescon.

Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Back on topic, I still worry about the sparsity of buildings. Are we ever going to be able to make anything that doesn't look like a sprawling suburb or village? I guess if we can eventually edit our public spaces someone could make fake ploppable city buildings?

I am too. I don't mind some suburban living but I also enjoy a more urban looking area too. I remembered how happy I was with Sims 2 Downtown just for that reason, the homes were closer together and gave a city feel in that neighborhood.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#16227 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 10:27 AM
So...is this whole speculation about neighborhoods gonna keep going around in circles? Should I just continue my lurking for news on Honeywell's tumblr?
Lab Assistant
#16228 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 10:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimGuruGraham
Let me help explain aging options a bit more clearly.

First, you can globally set the lifespans of Sims to be short, normal, or long. This applies to all Sims, no matter if you've played them or not.
Second, you can choose if unplayed Sims (any Sim that you've never taken control over) automatically ages or not.
Third, for Sim families you have played as (for rotational gameplay), you can enable or disable automatic aging and it will apply that setting to all of those families simultaneously. You do also have a third choice for played households to set it so that only the family you're currently playing automatically ages, and all your other played households will pause their aging until you're currently playing them again.

Further, in Live Mode, you can use a birthday cake to age up not only your own Sims, but you can use it to age up other unplayed Sims without having to play them, at the time of your choosing.

Someday I would love to expand the aging options so that they can be set per household, but we're already shipping robust options in the base game that give you a variety of approaches to how you play.

Graham, could you share any details on how story progression will function? - i.e. births, deaths, careers etc in other lots in the neighbourhoods? Obviously with rotational play you'd want to be able to turn these options off, but what about for non-rotational simmers who want the world to progress around them?
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#16229 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 11:00 AM Last edited by Arisuka : 15th Jun 2014 at 11:49 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
The population of the world, will the sims walking around and interacting only be the ones with physical houses or will there be townies (homeless) also.

I am too. I don't mind some suburban living but I also enjoy a more urban looking area too. I remembered how happy I was with Sims 2 Downtown just for that reason, the homes were closer together and gave a city feel in that neighborhood.

Graham has mentioned that sims and families you've made but haven't placed into homes yet, will show up around the world as townies. You know, those unplaced sims in the family inventory of the main menu.

I'm also a huge fan of urban areas! And I can actually see an urban world happening with this new world system. There would just need to be a lot of decorative tall buildings surrounding the world to create an immersion of a city, and the hoods would be nestled between those. But five lots per hood... yikes. It's just not enough.
And with the new streetcar, in a city world there could be a greyhound with graffiti on it!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#16230 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 11:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Black0rchid
assumption: they say "sims could have a job in OTHER worlds" and "when they move in other world, they do not lose anything". So, worlds are parallel to others. No black holes between them: we could have a big world made up by many world in a row?

Well it's not the actual quantity of lots that worries me it's the density, or appearance of density. Having 5 little villages in each of 100 worlds still gives me rural living, not a town.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#16231 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 11:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Arisuka
Graham has mentioned that sims and families you've made but haven't placed into homes yet, will show up around the world as townies. You know, those unplaced sims in the family inventory of the main menu.

Ugh, hope there's a way to set ones you don't want that to happen with.
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#16232 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 11:48 AM
Well it's not the actual quantity of lots that worries me it's the density, or appearance of density. Having 5 little villages in each of 100 worlds still gives me rural living, not a town.

I'm still holding on to hope that there's more, until they really confirm in exact words that there are five lots per hood and 25 per world... it's just so tiny, and the playable community area around the lots don't seem that big either.

I'm really curious to see more of this neighborhood, the one with the bridge and city decorations in the background. This actually seems like a dense outskirts of a city. And there kind of seem to be more than five houses along that road!
http://i2.wp.com/www.beyondsims.com...ize=1920%2C1080

And in this screenshot, the skyline doesn't look as 'painted on', but actually quite good. Eugh, so many trees in the way that we can't see the actual roads/layout of the world...
http://i2.wp.com/www.beyondsims.com...ize=1920%2C1080
#16233 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 11:51 AM
And there kind of seem to be more than five houses along that road!

The houses over the road look less high resolution. Wouldn't be surprised if they were in the "next hood" rather than the same as the one in the foreground. Or, maybe they did knock up some quick lot imposters to fill things out a bit. Similar to my ploppable shell idea, but lower res.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#16234 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 11:59 AM
Inge Jones I thought about that too, I'm just trying my hardest to stay optimistic.
I'm also getting the feeling that the car traffic is just fake, since there are no garages, driveways or vehicle section in buy mode. And you can't see inside the cars.
Field Researcher
#16235 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 12:00 PM
I thought about that too, I'm just trying my hardest to stay optimistic.
I'm also getting the feeling that the car traffic is just fake, since there are no garages, driveways or vehicle section in buy mode.

To continue being optimistic, flat lots could mean the return of TS2-style driveways, if ownable cars are in TS4 (now or in a future EP).
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#16236 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 12:03 PM Last edited by Arisuka : 15th Jun 2014 at 12:14 PM.
tedw AKA proper car animations could return!

This picture shows six houses, and maybe a 7th behind that big tree where there's definitely something. The ones in the top of the image do look low-res and lack details around them... It really could be that there will now be dummy houses all over. :/ Oh man...
Alchemist
#16237 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 12:24 PM
*sigh* I think it's mostly stage prop stuff, for want of a better term, in the background. Then, the 5 lots, plus public areas.
I think that's why they are concentrating on CAS so much. The 'hood-style things are pretty well eye candy and not something you can brag up.
AND - I really hope I am very wrong.
Field Researcher
#16238 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 12:25 PM
The ones in the top of the image do look low-res and lack details around them... It really could be that there will now be dummy houses all over. :/ Oh man...

Could it be a depth-of-field effect? I know people talked about the possibility when that Beatles homage picture came out, but I can't recall whether it was ever confirmed. But the screenshot below shows that detail further away from the camera seems to blur, if you look at the road texture. It might account for houses/buildings looking less sharp in the background.

Edit: Just realized the lot in the screenshot I'm using is now the Goth's house. I preferred the white house they bulldozed.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#16239 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 12:30 PM Last edited by maxon : 15th Jun 2014 at 12:58 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by SimGuruGraham
Let me help explain aging options a bit more clearly.

That's pretty clear to me Graham and thank you. However, what about life events happening to your sims when you're not playing them? Can they, for example change job, get pregnant or get a divorce?

Edit: just watched SimsVIP interview for the first time (felt too deflated to watch all the way through before). I think both participants did a good job there.

Quote: Originally posted by Original_Sim
It's been done before.

EA has always been a whore for celebrities.

Kim Jong Un is a celebrity?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#16240 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 12:35 PM
tedw Yeah, could be that too. Oh boy, we are in for a long road of wild speculation if they won't show the world and game play at all before Gamescom...

Edit: I also loved that white house!
#16241 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 12:49 PM
Inge Jones I thought about that too, I'm just trying my hardest to stay optimistic.
I'm also getting the feeling that the car traffic is just fake, since there are no garages, driveways or vehicle section in buy mode. And you can't see inside the cars.

Well that's fine by me. In real life there are loads of buildings that might just as well be deco shells as you can't go in them, and loads of cars that might as well be fake because you have no idea who is in them or why. As long as somehow the atmosphere can be made to support my imagination when I want to play an urban area, I don't care too much how it is achieved.

Lab Assistant
#16242 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 12:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ScottAsher
Wait, Graham! Before disappearing again, please just confirm. Between lots, are there loading screens or a pause in gameplay or something?

I just wanna know what to expect, as someone who gets kind of ADD with lots.

Graham apparently expanded on the loading screen situation on the official forum .

Quote:
Angellulu asked: When you say we have a loading screen between lots, does it mean that when I would travel my Sim from home to lot that is included in the same neighborhood, he/she still has to go through a loading screen? What about the lively streets, can we be part of it, or is it out of reach? I’d like my Sims to walk on street outside as well, even if it is out of bounds from other lots. Will this happen? I wouldn’t want to be confined in a single lot, watching every other Sim have fun outdoors…

Graham replied: There is never a load screen when you walk off a lot into those public spaces in the neighborhood that you’re in. By all means, have your Sim run out there and have fun! Every Sim you see at any time when you’re playing can be reached and interacted with without any loading whatsoever.

You will need to load when you walk onto a different lot in the same neighborhood than the one that is currently your active lot. When you arrive there, that lot will become the active/loaded lot with Sims on it doing stuff, and all of the Sims who were in those public spaces in the neighborhood will still be there doing the same thing they were doing before you switched lots. Because time continues to pass while you’re off in different neighborhoods, and Sims continue to simulate even when they aren’t loaded, when you travel to a completely different neighborhood and then return to the first neighborhood, the Sims who were there previously will have changed.

Edit: found on SimsVIP .
Lab Assistant
#16243 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 12:55 PM
I can't wait for the neighbor wars. You kick my trash can, I kick your trash can. Yeah!
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#16244 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 1:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mellowyellow09
I can't wait for the neighbor wars. You kick my trash can, I kick your trash can. Yeah!

And don't forget to kick the pink flamingo! And in a neighborhood of just 5 families, we'll instantly have The Sims: Advanced Warfare.
Just add a Kevin Spacey sim in there, and we're set!

"Hmm, next let's steal this guy's gnome!"
#16245 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 1:08 PM
omg! I hope they've not forgotten to put the flamingo in - or the hydrangea bush! I rely on those for my modding bases.

Field Researcher
#16246 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 1:16 PM
After all this discussion it's pretty much confirmed every different lot can be a different loading for every lot (expect the open public spaces that are in the area you loaded).
So The Sims 4 is one game where content is loaded piece by piece, with background simulation.

But one note, for those who were posting "game loads in 30sec", "15sec travel times", you must be VERY aware to avoid disappointments the PC they ran the demo from is certainly with high-end specs, for one E3 demo they had to run it from something powerful enough so it could be very fast even with the game optimization yet being performed.

That's why Gurus never mention Loading Times, because they will depend of each player PC. I see much people misunderstanding thinking if it is fast on demo, it must be fast for everyone.

For example if you use HDD Drive, and I use SSD, I will load the game faster (depending of each game can be half of the time), if you're around with one SSD Disk, i7 CPU and some 8GB RAM, i say you may make use of the best performance playing TS4.
#16247 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 1:17 PM
one thing I just realized. Loading times between visiting your NEIGHBOR!!!!

Sorry but for some of us who still have only played sims 2 I will gladly take a loading screen for the capability to have my sim visit a neighboring house

And thankfully they do have the option for played families to not age until played again so now i'm even more on board
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#16248 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 1:30 PM
Well that's fine by me. In real life there are loads of buildings that might just as well be deco shells as you can't go in them, and loads of cars that might as well be fake because you have no idea who is in them or why. As long as somehow the atmosphere can be made to support my imagination when I want to play an urban area, I don't care too much how it is achieved.

Also, a big part of achieving atmosphere is sound. In TS3's Bridgeport the deco shells emitted city sounds around them, which was great. The subway made sounds too. You could even hear a distant ship horn every now and then. But of course there was no ship... This time around it seems like they can actually do that kind off stuff, like a ship going by in the distance.

It seems like Willow Creek neighborhoods are divided by, well... creeks. Maybe city world hoods could be divided by train tracks or dummy highways with dense dummy traffic. Then the edges of the world could have tall deco buildings to create an effect of being in the midst of a city and the horizon could have a painted skyline. I can kind of see it somehow working out, despite being limited to five lots per hood.
#16249 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 1:35 PM
Fortunately the 3-level limit wouldn't interfere with being able to use apartment shells like TS3 if they wanted to put those in an EP, cos you only actually need two levels in an apartment block - the lobby, and the apartment.

I wonder if we can make a sort of basement in our foundations?

Field Researcher
#16250 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 1:37 PM
Ah The Sims 4 and cars will be fun, before we used them to reach places faster, now i'm unsure if they will be visual-only as there is loading between areas.
At least it looks they don't have animations, can't see who is inside driving them.... // WONDERS //
Locked thread
Page 650 of 817