Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 11:37 PM
Specific custom content crashes the game
Hi,
I'm remaking my t-shirts collection for The Sims 4 from the scratch. Some of the t-shirts works fine in game (both CAS Demo and full game) but some crashes the game when I hover a mouse pointer over it when I want to select it. I'm using the exactly same process for every shirt:
Make a base using Color Magic,
load a DDS template I've exported earlied in GIMP without mipmaps,
edit the t-shirt as I need it (paste an image on it, change a colour of it etc.),
export it as DDS with DXT 5 compression and generate mipmaps,
import the DDS to the t-shirt package and save it,
put it in my Mods folder.

This works for the most of them. But some just refuse to load its preview in CAS and make the game crash. I've even managed to show one of the non-functioning t-shirts on a randomly generated sim (who happened to load with the t-shirt on), but when I wanted to select the exact same t-shirt from the menu, the game crashed again.
Anyone knows why is this happening?

Rock The Sims \m/
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 11:42 PM
Moving to Create > CAS parts (Help is for help with the game). Sounds like you’re using a really old version of ColorMagic – see here for gory details.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 11:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Moving to Create > CAS parts (Help is for help with the game). Sounds like you’re using a really old version of ColorMagic – see here for gory details.

Thank you. I've thought I have the latest version since I've downloaded it from the official page two days ago. I'll try to update it and post results.

Rock The Sims \m/
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 11:59 PM
Yeah there is an old download still up somewhere, unfortunately. I PMed granthes about it just now =). The correct link (the one that always has the current version) is id=404 -- easy to remember

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 12:05 AM
Haha, yeah. I noticed it and giggled.
I tried to repair the faulty ones using the tutorial on the official EA The Sims forum, but when I want to confirm the changes, S4PE shows me an application exception message (but it's in czech so it won't be much of help; it's something about .net fx 4, but I have the newest version already, so it's weird). I've downloaded the newer version of CM and I'll try to import the DDS again.

Rock The Sims \m/
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 12:14 AM
So now it works. And I can even change the colour swatch now in ColorMagic, sweet. Thanks for your help!

Speaking of which, is there a way to change colour swatch AFTER I export the item using ColorMagic? (unless it's the resource with _IMG tag in S4PE, which isn't showing for me for the same reason I can't fix the faulty items, .net fx 4 exception)

Rock The Sims \m/
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#7 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 12:33 AM
There is a way – don't recall the steps off the top of my head, but that has come up before (it involves opening your package in CM and then doing .. something). Look in this forum or in Tools for other threads about it! I think I also put some links in the tutorials sticky in Tutorials.

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#8 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 3:46 AM
You can also just open the package with s4pe, right-click the _IMG, click Replace, and replace it with your new swatch image. Your swatch should be a 32x32 DDS saved as DXT1 with no mipmaps.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 9:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
You can also just open the package with s4pe, right-click the _IMG, click Replace, and replace it with your new swatch image. Your swatch should be a 32x32 DDS saved as DXT1 with no mipmaps.

It shows the same exception as before. But surprisingly, it actually works despite the exception. Anyone knows why it's showing for me, though? Or is it showing for everyone? (The red sentence in the brackets should be a translation of it.)

Rock The Sims \m/
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#10 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 9:48 AM
That error shows for everyone. s4pe is not yet able to read those images and display a preview, but it imports the image data just fine.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4