Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#26 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 10:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DaniCast
hmm... you can't have a female heir? o.O
I played a legacy challenge only once, my first heir was female.

The official rules of the Legacy Challenge state that you have to choose before you start whether males or females were eligible to be the official heirs (or you could choose the option that gender doesn't matter). Possibly OP decided on males to start. Or simply assumed that only males could be heirs.

The Legacy Challenge is pretty flexible.

Quote: Originally posted by Gwennero
Or you could follow traditional rules of primogeniture - firstborn son becomes the heir, and if there is no son then the firstborn daughter. I usually play a matriarchy and reverse the order. As a PP said, this is not a new problem and everything from King Arthur to Pride and Prejudice covers the topic.

Just go read/watch game of thrones. Lots of talk about inheritance and heirs :-P
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 2:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BrilliantAzure
Just go read/watch game of thrones. Lots of talk about inheritance and heirs :-P

That one, too! Read it when it first came out, years ago.
Field Researcher
#28 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 3:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KariMinger
If you are using the rules more as guidelines (after all, it's a challenge and not a contest), call whichever kid you want an heir. Dress her like a tomboy if it makes you feel better.

To be honest, that is the point of a challenge, that it is a contest. If you can't complete the challenge you have failed, pure and simple. Failing and changing to a separate game (or challenge with different rules) is fine, as long as one is honest with oneself that they failed the first time around. We learn nothing if we don't fail and accept it.

As http://www.thefreedictionary.com/challenge says as the first entry;
chal·lenge (chlnj)
n.
a. A call to engage in a contest, fight, or competition: a challenge to a duel...

Basically, the OP should play the game as they like. If they want to change the rules willy nilly, that is fine but it isn't in the spirit of the challenge. Just be honest with yourself is all I'm saying, regardless of what people say about it being ok to change rules mid flight because it is fun (if that was the case, I'd get $200 in Monopoly whenever I passed and corner square and no one else would because I think that might be fun and help me to win because obviously the winning is the fun part, not the challenge of beating the other players legitimately? * I'm hopeless at Monopoly by the way, perhaps that is the only way I could win - but I still manage to have fun somehow when I play...).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#29 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 3:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MrRoc
To be honest, that is the point of a challenge, that it is a contest. If you can't complete the challenge you have failed, pure and simple. Failing and changing to a separate game (or challenge with different rules) is fine, as long as one is honest with oneself that they failed the first time around. We learn nothing if we don't fail and accept it.

As http://www.thefreedictionary.com/challenge says as the first entry;
chal·lenge (chlnj)
n.
a. A call to engage in a contest, fight, or competition: a challenge to a duel...

Basically, the OP should play the game as they like. If they want to change the rules willy nilly, that is fine but it isn't in the spirit of the challenge. Just be honest with yourself is all I'm saying, regardless of what people say about it being ok to change rules mid flight because it is fun (if that was the case, I'd get $200 in Monopoly whenever I passed and corner square and no one else would because I think that might be fun and help me to win because obviously the winning is the fun part, not the challenge of beating the other players legitimately? * I'm hopeless at Monopoly by the way, perhaps that is the only way I could win - but I still manage to have fun somehow when I play...).

Which is exactly what I thought when first posting...I'll keep trying until I can't anymore and then if no male born, consider it lost and move on. Sigh~ Sure is fun, but what a lot of work for nothing if I don't get a boy. The 4th was a girl too! lol
Forum Resident
#31 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 3:54 PM
I always play legacy challenges strictly after Pinstar's rules, but of course that is up to you. It just doesn't make sense to me to count points for the legacy if i bend the rules to my liking. You should see it as a way to experience gameplay you would have missed otherwise, or would you ever consider getting seven children without this rule? And you simply can't imagine how good it feels to finally get the right gender and how attached you grow to the heir that way.
On another note, i'm always so strict to myself to follow set rules that i puked one time after jogging because i pushed myself to hard. So progress with caution!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#32 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 4:24 AM
I am waiting right now to see if my founder initiating changes the gender of the baby. She is due to give birth to the 5th child at any moment. The first girl born is already anYA, I have one teen and 2 children, with one about to age up to teen. At least YA's and teens can have jobs. It helps when I have to keep adding bedrooms and furniture to the house. lol I can honestly say that with having to use the random trait generator, I have played sims with traits I never would have chosen otherwise...like my youngest girl, she got the mean trait...omg, I Really don't like her much at all. She has smashed the doll house twice now and I've had to repair it. I finally put it into inventory. She fights with everyone too. I'm almost to the point of aging her up. Probably won't, but I will think about it really hard. lol And no, I wouldn't have ever had this many children normally in my game. And I can already tell, if and when I get my heir...I am gonna shout the roof down with joy!!
I'll make a note to proceed with caution...Thanks for all the tips. This is as much fun as playing the game! :D
Test Subject
Original Poster
#33 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 5:25 AM
WooHoo!!!! Finally got my Boy!!! Guess the other partner initiating works!! Thanks for all the tips y'all!
Field Researcher
#34 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 11:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MsBelleInOk
WooHoo!!!! Finally got my Boy!!! Guess the other partner initiating works!! Thanks for all the tips y'all!

Congo rats. It's been a long journey and it sounds like you have been true to yourself which should make it feel just that much sweeter.
Forum Resident
#35 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 2:03 PM
Congratulations! Pinstar's wife just failed her legacy challenge, because she had strict equality and just one male heir who died of embarrassment after a marriage rejection, so keep very good care of him!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#36 Old 26th Oct 2014 at 12:11 AM
Thanks! It is Very sweet indeed! And I am following that thread by ImaginingMystic...So, I plan on taking very, very good care of Him! Don't really want to try for another but, I am considering it...just in case! I've never had a sim die on me, but I also know that anything is possible. The is life simulation after all! I do appreciate your pointing it out tho.
Page 2 of 2