Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 5:30 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Play a game saved with Store Edition on a comp which doesn't have it?
I'm sure this has been asked somewhere before, but I couldn't find it, so I'll ask here (and do forgive me if I'm unclear or start rambling for a while, I've been sick with the flu for four days now and I can't even tell you what day of the week it is).

On my old laptop, I had always used disc versions of Sims 2. All expansions, all stuff packs, all from disc, and I had been using University Life Collection and Fun With Pets Collection, so I had Store Edition installed as well, and that was fine until I got a new laptop which doesn't have a disc drive. I thought, it's okay, the old one still works, I'll just let the old one be my "Sims 2" computer and the new one doesn't have to have it. Then when I went to install Sims 3 and 4 on the new laptop through Origin, I realized I had access to Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, so I installed that on my new laptop.

Guys.

I never want to play it on the old computer again. :lovestruc

The graphics on this new computer are 10 times better than my old one. The game loads within 5 minutes and plays so smoothly, even with large amounts of CC. I really, really, really, have gotten spoiled. The only issue is that I cannot move my saved games from the old computer to this one, because Ultimate Collection doesn't come with Store Edition. Is there any way to edit these saves to they'll run without it? I'm not afraid of SimPE, but I don't wanna go messing around in it if I don't know what I'm doing.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 9:02 PM
Not as far as I know, the Store Addition is bad news. Hopefully someone knows a work around for it but as far as I know you can kiss all those old games made on it goodbye. Sorry. :/ In the long run you will be better off without it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3 Old 26th Nov 2017 at 12:00 AM
I thought you could change the edition keys somewhere in SimPE. I seem to remember Chris Hatch talking about it.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Nov 2017 at 12:14 AM
I've figured it out!

After a lot of caffeine, my brain finally started working. It's all related to the ID Number in SimPE.

Basically, what I did was create a dummy neighborhood with all subhoods attached, then ripped the ID Numbers from the dummy hood. I then replaced the ones in my old testing neighborhood (from my old computer) with the ID Numbers from the new dummy. Deleted dummy hood so it wouldn't cause any conflicts, then loaded up the game, and voila! There's my old test neighborhood.

I'm sure there is a much simpler way to go about it, but that's what I've done and it is 100% working. I now have my old save games running on my new laptop.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 26th Nov 2017 at 12:31 AM
Yah! Perhaps you could write up a small tutorial on what you did.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Nov 2017 at 12:36 AM
Maybe, but I still can't help but think there's a much simpler way. But I've still got one neighborhood to go, so maybe I'll take a few screenshots while I do it. I'm sure there's plenty of others who might have this issue. IDK what EA was thinking when they added Store Edition in! It's done nothing but cause trouble since EADM switched over to being Origin.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 26th Nov 2017 at 1:23 AM
It causes the same issues if you switch from any game with SA to one without it, and that includes disks without it.

Simpler method? I doubt it, others I have heard of never had any luck getting their old games to work. If you have somehow come across a method that works, please share. I have never messed with ID numbers and wouldn't know how.

EA never thought people would play hoods very long is my guess, which is also why those blow up hood tools were also left in the game.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 26th Nov 2017 at 2:09 AM
No kidding. They really didn't count on us long-time players, did they? I'd like to think that was a pleasant surprise.

All right, I'll have to sit down and write a tutorial later. I've never done it before, but I can't imagine it would be too difficult, huh? But first, now that my game's working, I wanna go play now.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 26th Nov 2017 at 2:42 AM
haha more like a thorn in their sides would be my guess.

have fun.

~Call me Jo~
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 26th Nov 2017 at 12:29 PM
Chris Hatch also explains it here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...757#post5228757

@Jaz/Nim/17 a tutorial would be brilliant!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Nov 2017 at 9:58 PM
I went ahead and wrote up a tutorial. Now I'm stuck. Where does one usually put such tutorials?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 26th Nov 2017 at 10:22 PM
If you can make a new thread here in help we will look it over and move it to tutorials.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 27th Nov 2017 at 12:12 AM
Okey - dokey! I will try that.