Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 8:18 PM Last edited by Faty_Kyu : 8th Jul 2018 at 8:29 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2
Default All the clothing, hair, make up, etc options are gone!
Hi!
I've got a big problem, about creating new sims, or changing the existing ones.
Recently I started to download lots of custom contents and crashes on game became more and more. I searched then I decided to delete some of them. I actually moved LOTS of them, but the game started freezing on loading screen this time. I read that I need to remove the Download folder to the desktop.
I did, so the sims using the custom contents had problem with the clothing and the face now. When I wanted to edit one of them, I saw that there is no options! I mean, NO options!! Nothing were there, no hairstyle, no eyebrow, nothing to make up! Then I went to create a new sim, to see if there got the problem too or not.
And yes, not any clothes, not any faces, and not a single option to change anything!
I don't know what to do! Did I accidentally delete an important file? Please help me! I need my Sims!!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 9:42 PM
Most CC won't cause troubles when removed and will instead revert to the originally cloned item or the closest to it. On occasion some hairs, accessories and makeup will on removal cause a missing item bug that expands to Bodyshop, CAS and the Create Appearance window. For hairs I think it mostly happens to custom-binned items, because if the sim had a color-binned hair the game tends to pick a random hair of the same color. Missing makeup usually reverts to the EAxis makeup it was cloned from, and accessories may flash blue until cache files are removed. Clothes should revert to regular EAxis clothes, and custom skins usually revert to the S2 skin, but if the rest of the sim isn't working, the problem might extend to the whole of CAS. Missing hairs are often the most likely culprit.

If you want to avoid such bugs entirely, give sims using those items makeovers before you remove the items from your Downloads folder. That way there isn't any residiual traces except for old sim thumbnails (such as dead sims).

- First delete the cache files found in the "Documents/The Sims 2" location (accessory/groups/cigen/contentregistry). It's safe, they regenerate, and they're the leading cause of CAS items not working properly, loading issues, etc.
When you've done this, load the game.

- If you still have problems, move back all the downloads you removed (if you still have them). This will most likely fix empty thumbs/missing items and non-working CAS/Bodyshop issues. Remove all items you no longer want from all the sims you know use them, and assign items you still want to keep. Now remove all the items you don't want (remove from the Downloads folder, and make sure to remove both meshes and recolors).
Mad Poster
#3 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 7:08 AM
It may help to remove the thumbnails folder - the game will then generate new ones - as well as the cache files.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 7:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Most CC won't cause troubles when removed and will instead revert to the originally cloned item or the closest to it. On occasion some hairs, accessories and makeup will on removal cause a missing item bug that expands to Bodyshop, CAS and the Create Appearance window. For hairs I think it mostly happens to custom-binned items, because if the sim had a color-binned hair the game tends to pick a random hair of the same color. Missing makeup usually reverts to the EAxis makeup it was cloned from, and accessories may flash blue until cache files are removed. Clothes should revert to regular EAxis clothes, and custom skins usually revert to the S2 skin, but if the rest of the sim isn't working, the problem might extend to the whole of CAS. Missing hairs are often the most likely culprit.

If you want to avoid such bugs entirely, give sims using those items makeovers before you remove the items from your Downloads folder. That way there isn't any residiual traces except for old sim thumbnails (such as dead sims).

- First delete the cache files found in the "Documents/The Sims 2" location (accessory/groups/cigen/contentregistry). It's safe, they regenerate, and they're the leading cause of CAS items not working properly, loading issues, etc.
When you've done this, load the game.

- If you still have problems, move back all the downloads you removed (if you still have them). This will most likely fix empty thumbs/missing items and non-working CAS/Bodyshop issues. Remove all items you no longer want from all the sims you know use them, and assign items you still want to keep. Now remove all the items you don't want (remove from the Downloads folder, and make sure to remove both meshes and recolors).

I didn't have any cache files, cause I don' have any of the folders you guided. But I did something I think was the reason...
When I was trying to remove all CC from "Bins" folder in Program files/EA GAMES to Downloads, I found a file with 47 mb size! I thought that I didn't download that one, and I thought maybe that's the reason, or it's a virus or something. I deleted that! Now I see the other folderssuch as Patterns got a package file with a similar name too! But not as big as that one. Is that the thing you think may caused all of these?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 7:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
It may help to remove the thumbnails folder - the game will then generate new ones - as well as the cache files.

Didn't work! You know, people got their own hair, face, etc. They are normal, but I can't change them. Cause I don't have any clothes, hairs, eyebrows, etc to change!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 8:53 AM
Everyone has cache files. Documents>EA games>The Sims 2.

Were you placing your cc in Bins on purpose? What may have happened is using the Bin removes the CC star so yes you may have accidentally removed Maxis files. Unless you know what you are doing place CC in your Download folder-same as above, under Documents.

'Patterns' Are you after Sims 2 or Sims 3 help? (This is the Sims 2 help board) Unless you named a folder patterns there is no CC folder called patterns.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 9:28 AM
You're not supposed to put any CC in the Bins folders (Or rather, there are a few items, but download directions will usually tell you so).

ALL downloads (with some exceptions) are meant to go into the
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads
(may change slightly depending on Windows version, or if you have the UC, and the USERNAME line will most likely say the name at the top of the Start menu directly below the user icon).

You should NOT put anything in the various folders in these locations or any of the other folders in Program Files:
C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2
C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\
(unless download instructions specifically tell you to).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 9:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Everyone has cache files. Documents>EA games>The Sims 2.

Were you placing your cc in Bins on purpose? What may have happened is using the Bin removes the CC star so yes you may have accidentally removed Maxis files. Unless you know what you are doing place CC in your Download folder-same as above, under Documents.

'Patterns' Are you after Sims 2 or Sims 3 help? (This is the Sims 2 help board) Unless you named a folder patterns there is no CC folder called patterns.

Thank you I found the cache files. I deleted them but this time it will crash to desktop anytime after I enter any lot! I can't test if they are still no options or not!
I read that I can place CC in Bins too. No my Sims is 2, the Patterns folder were the same place as Bins. I just meant they've got a file like that too.
I can remember when first I wanted to place a CC in Bins, there was just a file named "package" but when I wanted to remove the CCs I didn't find it. I can't remember the file I deleted were there from the beging.
"Patterns" is placed in Program files> EA GAMES> The Sims 2> TSData> Res> Catalog
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 9:43 AM
You're not supposed to put any CC in the Bins folders (Or rather, there are a few items, but download directions will usually tell you so).

ALL downloads (with some exceptions) are meant to go into the
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads
(may change slightly depending on Windows version, or if you have the UC, and the USERNAME line will most likely say the name at the top of the Start menu directly below the user icon).

You should NOT put anything in the various folders in these locations or any of the other folders in Program Files:
C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2
C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\
(unless download instructions specifically tell you to).

There is not anything there at this time, I removed all of them before. But even after removing it, the game kept on freezing on loading screen!
Mad Poster
#10 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 9:48 AM
Did you remove all the sims related files in the Documents location? If so, you may have a problem. You should be able to delete just the Downloads folder, but anything else and you'll screw up the saved game (If you delete the "The Sims 2" folder in Documents, the game will reset to factory settings)

If you deleted anything else than files you're sure you downloaded from the Bins folder, you definitely have a problem. It contains files important for the game to run.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 9:57 AM
I would rename your sims 2 folder rather than removing it. Rename it and run the game and let it make a new one and see how that one plays. If you have messed up the install it might need reinstalling though.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 10:09 AM
Did you remove all the sims related files in the Documents location? If so, you may have a problem. You should be able to delete just the Downloads folder, but anything else and you'll screw up the saved game (If you delete the "The Sims 2" folder in Documents, the game will reset to factory settings)

If you deleted anything else than files you're sure you downloaded from the Bins folder, you definitely have a problem. It contains files important for the game to run.

I remember you said to delete the cache files and it will regenerate. You said it's safe
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 10:16 AM
I would rename your sims 2 folder rather than removing it. Rename it and run the game and let it make a new one and see how that one plays. If you have messed up the install it might need reinstalling though.

The computer didn't allow me to rename it, so I cut it to the desktop and the game now started again from the beginning. But I still don't have any hair, make up or etc. I think that's because of that one file I deleted. Can you do something for me?
Can you check out what you've got in your "Bins" folder, and if you can, upload that for me please?
That will mean alot to me, I need my Sims back!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 10:25 AM
Are you on disks or UC? if you are on the UC you can do a repair. Also, which bin was it and wich EP? If it's a simple file I can upload it but you might be able to get it off the disk yourself.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#15 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 11:11 AM
If you mean the folder here: C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Catalog\Bins
It only contains "globalcatbin.bundle", "H05.bundle" and "H06.bundle". I'm not sure what the first one is, but the two others are the Christmas/Holiday specials (if you have them).

Most of the Bins folders only have the "globalcatbin.bundle" file, but they've got different date stamps and sizes so they don't contain the same information. Possibly something to do with categorization of items, because I don't think they've got anything to do with cats...

The only downloaded items that should be put in that folder are certain types of recategorization files for EAxis items. I've got a few of Phaenoh's clothing mods in there.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 11:17 AM
If you mean the folder here: C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Catalog\Bins
It only contains "globalcatbin.bundle", "H05.bundle" and "H06.bundle". I'm not sure what the first one is, but the two others are the Christmas/Holiday specials (if you have them).

Most of the Bins folders only have the "globalcatbin.bundle" file, but they've got different date stamps and sizes so they don't contain the same information. Possibly something to do with categorization of items, because I don't think they've got anything to do with cats...

Yeah you right! That was the file I deleted! It was 47 mb in my computer. Is that like that in your game?
Mad Poster
#17 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 11:18 AM
About that size, yes.

Do you have CD versions or the Ultimate Collection from Origin? Like Jo said, if you have the UC you should repair your game. If you have the CD version, you can probably get the file from the disc.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 11:20 AM
Are you on disks or UC? if you are on the UC you can do a repair. Also, which bin was it and wich EP? If it's a simple file I can upload it but you might be able to get it off the disk yourself.

On disk I think. The exact location is C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Catalog\Bins
And the file got "catbin" thing in it's name
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 11:24 AM
About that size, yes.

Do you have CD versions or the Ultimate Collection from Origin? Like Jo said, if you have the UC you should repair your game. If you have the CD version, you can probably get the file from the disc.

I have the CD version, but the CDs are not available at this time.
I use image to run the game
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 11th Jul 2018 at 6:59 AM
@Faty_Kyu is your game pirated? You are not allowed to post for help on this site if you are running a torrented game.
Site rules- http://modthesims.info/t/517758

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 11th Jul 2018 at 5:48 PM
@Faty_Kyu is your game pirated? You are not allowed to post for help on this site if you are running a torrented game.
Site rules- http://modthesims.info/t/517758

No! It's just the game was for my brother and the CD wasn't always around, so he himself made an image from it.
Also since you guys didn't reply me again, I took the CD from him and searched for the file. Unfortunately I couldn't find that, and if you don't help me, I may have to install the game again!