Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 2:50 AM Last edited by jje1000 : 22nd Aug 2014 at 3:02 AM.
The Comparison Thread to End All Comparison Threads
Originally found here at http://alittlesimlish.tumblr.com/po...he-lacking-sims as a response to an earlier post stating things missing from the Sims 3 basegame.

The comparisons whether or not the Sims 4 basegame will be better than the Sims 3 basegame has gotten a bit jumbled as people are also comparing it to the Sims 2. That's perfectly valid, as there are people also potentially jumping to the Sims 4 directly from the Sims 2, but each game has its own features and everything needs to be clearly laid out.

Quote: Originally posted by A Little Simlish
I decided to go over this list more thoroughly and point out some of the issues with this list and how it relates to TS3 vs TS4. Most of the things listed have been cut from TS4 as well, some have been made WORSE by TS4, some weren’t even in TS2 base game, some WERE in TS3 base game or had something similar that was equivalent or even an improvement from TS2.

Missing Gameplay Elements (from the Sims 3 basegame):
  • No restaurants - Weren’t in TS2 base game and not in TS4 either.
  • No grocery stores - There actually were grocery stores in TS3, yes they were rabbit holes, but in TS4 they were removed completely, along with bookstores.
  • No clothing shops - Not in TS4 either.
  • No aspirations - These were replaced with a combination of traits and lifetime wishes, a much more robust system that allowed you to make more nuanced and varied sims. While there is something called an aspiration in TS4, it is a completely different system from either previous game. It might be better, worse, or not significantly different.
  • No lifetime aspiration meter or anything to show how fulfilling your sims life has been - Lifetime aspiration wasn’t added until the Free Time expansion. In TS3 there is lifetime happiness instead. In TS4 I’m guessing that the equivalent system will center around emotions. It might be better, worse, or not significantly different.
  • No fears - Not in TS4 either.
  • No private schools and wooing the headmaster “minigame to get into private school” - Not in TS4 either.
  • No dating system and dating “minigame” to get a perfect date - Dating was added in expansion packs in both TS2 and TS3. You can go on dates in TS4 base game.
  • No interests - Not in TS4 either, and was repaced in most ways by a combination of favorites and traits in TS3.
  • No turn ons and turn offs - Not in TS2 base game and not in TS4 either.
  • No memories - This sounds like it might actually be an improved system in TS4.
  • No aliens - Not in TS4 either, TS3 had playable ghosts instead.
  • Hedges, flowers and trees never require maintenance (trimming, watering, etc.) and they never die - Not in TS4 either, TS3 didn’t have this, but did have an extensive vegetable gardening system and skill in the base game.
  • Environment and comfort needs removed - Replaced with moodlets in TS3 and emotions/moodlets in TS4.
  • No illnesses - Not in TS4 either.
  • No inheritance when family dies - Rumored to not be in TS4 either.
  • No need to buy clothes - Not in TS4 either.
  • No cockroaches for dirty homes - Probably not in TS4 either as there’s no exterminator.
  • No zodiac signs - Not in TS4 either.
  • Can’t bathe babies and toddlers - Can’t bathe babies in TS4 either, and toddlers don’t even exist.
  • No cleaning skill - Not in TS4 either, in TS3 the skill system was greatly enhanced to be more similar to the talent badge system that wasn’t introduced until OfB in TS2, and cleaning didn’t really fit into that system as it’s not really that interesting or impressive of a skill.
  • No yoga or meditation skills - Probably not in TS4 either as nothing has been mentioned about them. TS3 had fully fledged gardening and fishing in base game instead, as well as breaking up the creativity skill into separate, fully featured writing, painting and guitar skills. These were all more robust than the hidden skills they replaced.
  • No car animations or interactions - Not in TS4 either because cars don’t exist. Ownable cars also weren’t in TS2 base game, only carpools and taxis, which also don’t exist in TS4.
  • No unlockable secret lots - These weren’t in TS2 base game either.
  • No basements - basements could be made in unpatched TS3 using foundations in a similar way to TS2, the basement tool that was added to TS3 later made making basements easier and made it possible to go down multiple levels
  • Teens don’t get acne - not in TS4 either
  • No need for friends to get promoted - TS3 careers require you to fill up a performance bar instead, allowing them to make careers have a greater variety of requirements. Some of those requirements include raising charisma skill, which requires friends, but it also allows the careers to specify particular relationships, such as with your boss, teammates, co-workers, accomplices, partner, etc., as well as add other requirements that didn’t exist in TS2, such as writing reports, fundraising, and holding meetings, adding more variation to how the different career tracks play out. TS4 will hopefully be closer to TS3 than TS2 in this regard.
  • No chance cards at work - These were replaced in TS3 with the opportunity system and the ability to choose tones for your sims at work. TS4 has chance cards again.
  • No lifetime relationship bar - Not in TS4 either, although they do have a separate romance bar, which is nice.
  • Less control over inactive families because of story progression - Story Progression was implemented poorly in TS3, and instead of trying to fix it, they decided to just get rid of it altogether in TS4.
  • More difficulties in rotational play - This is because of the less control over inactive families due to story progression, it’s not it’s own separate point.
  • No personality points - this was replaced with the trait system, which allowed for much more variety in sims’ personalities, and those traits had much more of an impact on gameplay than personality points. Was anyone ever actually upset about the trait system replacing personality points?
  • Only one world - There were two, if you count the free download of Riverview, and they were much larger and more detailed than the TS2 worlds. TS4 also has only two, with much less available space than either of the previous two games, whether you count Riverview or not.
  • Cartoon charm graphic style lost and replaced by more realistic graphics
  • Sims have “pudding face” which a lot of people don’t like - graphic style is a preference and there will always be people who prefer one style over another.

Missing Items (from the Sims 3 basegame):
  • No pianos - TS3 had guitars in base game instead.
  • No recliners - Haven’t heard of them being in TS4 either.
  • No diving boards or pool slides - Not in TS4 either since pools don’t exist in TS4.
  • No hot tubs - Not in TS4 either.
  • No magazines - Not in TS4 either.
  • No wedding arch - That’s one for TS4.
  • No changing tables - Not in TS4 either because babies are objects and toddlers don’t exist.

Miscellaneous (from the Sims 3 basegame):
  • No cinematics for moving, woohooing, etc. - Not in TS4 either
  • No underwear clothing category - Not in TS4 either, in TS3 your sims could wear underwear as sleepwear instead, as the underwear category was rarely used and didn’t add much to the game. In TS4 you can wear underwear in any category.
  • Missing NPCs: Exterminator, headmaster, social bunny, therapist, gardener, butler, or nanny - Not in TS4 either, with a sort of exception for the gardener, which only goes around the public area. Nannies were replaced with babysitters in TS3. TS4 also does not have burglars, repairmen, repo men, fire fighters, or police officers.
  • No body shop application - Not in TS4 either.
  • Can’t create new neighborhoods in-game - can’t in TS2 either, and you needed to buy a completely different game, SimCity 4, instead of using the freely released CAW tool eventually released for TS3.
  • Each job doesn’t have a career reward - Okay.
  • Most community lots are rabbit holes that you can’t see your sim in - That was frustrating, but TS4 in some cases seems to be taking this even further, for example replacing the bookstore rabbit hole with magic bookshelves that you can buy books from. They didn’t get rid of the movie theater or spa or bistro rabbit holes in TS4 to replace them with open versions of those things, they just simply don’t exist anymore.
  • Hair doesn’t move - Not in TS4 either.

In short, here are the things from this list that TS4 base game = has over BOTH TS2 and TS3 base games:
  • Dating
  • Unlockable secret lots

And here are the things that TS4 is bringing back that were in TS2 BG but not TS3 BG:
  • Memories
  • Chance cards at work
  • Wedding arch
  • Every job has career rewards (unlockable objects)
  • Pianos

Everything else isn’t going to be in TS4 base game either (or actually was in TS3 or had an equivalent or improvement), and this time we’re also losing the following that have been in both previous base games:
  • Toddlers
  • Pools
  • Teens with different heights
  • Babies that aren’t objects
  • NPCs: burglars, repairmen, repo men, fire fighters, police officers
  • Dishwashers, Trash compactors, Fire & Burglar Alarms
  • Ghosts
  • Carpools, Taxis, School Buses
  • Family Trees
  • Foundations separate by building
  • Terrain height tools
  • Pond tools
  • Foundation basements
  • More editable lots
  • More floors/stories for houses

These things are not like putting guitars in the base game instead of pianos, or replacing personality points with the entire trait system which was one of the major selling points for TS3, these things are just GONE. Removing changing tables is not equivalent to cutting out an entire life stage and all of the skills, interactions and objects that went with it. Removing diving boards is not equivalent to removing the diving board, swimming, swimwear and the entire pool itself. Adding cars in the base game but removing their animations is not equivalent to removing every single form of transportation that has ever existed. Not being able to bathe babies is not equivalent to making babies into objects that can’t leave their bassinette, much less the house. Replacing nannies with babysitters is not equivalent to not being able to hire any sort of child care. Turning stores into rabbit holes is not equivalent to removing all shopping from the game entirely and making even more objects into magical vending machines. Replacing landscape gardening with a robust vegetable gardening system and skill that works together seamlessly with cooking is not equivalent to removing the ability to adjust the height of terrain or add natural bodies of water at all. Some of these I might be able to excuse or be okay with on their own, but all of them together show a very worrying trend in their priorities.

Yes, TS3 had it’s problems, but TS4 is not fixing them. TS4 is taking things that I was already disappointed about in TS3 and taking them even further in the direction away from what I’d want. Some of the big additions to TS3 like CASt and Story Progression had their problems, but instead of improving them, they decided to just get rid of them altogether. That doesn’t give me faith in the new systems they’re implementing this time. I’ve purchased every other base game in this series full price, but I’m not going to be doing it this time. They have repeatedly proven that they are not interested in making the game I’m interested in, or fixing their bugs, despite me constantly waiting and hoping and giving them the benefit of the doubt. If other people like it as-is, that’s great for them, but the problem is there’s nothing else out there for those of us who want a game like this that focuses on different aspects of life, and until there is I can’t do anything but voice my frustration and hope that maybe someday EA will decide to take a different approach or that someone else will come along and actually give them some competition.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 11:33 AM
Oh, you know perfectly damn well it won't end anything.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Inventor
#3 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 11:41 AM
That last section really puts it into perspective just how much there won't be in the BG. I wonder if this is a ploy to make more people buy the expansion packs? TS3 BG was quite extensive compared to TS2, but TS4 BG seems to have diddly squat and if they think it's so they can add more content into the expansions to get more money then they're using a poor marketing strategy.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 12:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Oh, you know perfectly damn well it won't end anything.

So true, so sad.
Scholar
#5 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 12:42 PM
I see nowhere CASt and open neighbourhood in the list. They are mentioned in the second last paragraph, but I would think they were quite big features and should be up in the lists too (possibly the one that lists things in TS3 but will not be in TS4). Can't really call those details like having a guitar instead of a piano.
Also, some of the headers are confusing me. I don't understand why part of it is in brackets with some of the headers. But thats just me probably

As for changing things. I think such a comparison can be particularly interesting for people who are on the fence of buying TS4.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 1:03 PM
The problem I have with these "lists" is that the Sims 4 is supposed to be and meant to be a new game. It should be different, it should feel different. The game needs to move forward in order to move on, albeit maybe not to greener pastures. If it's the same thing as its predecessor then why even bother. I'm not saying I have high hopes for the game but I think we should at least stop comparing it to 3 and 2. If you want all of those features in a game then you really should just keep playing 2 or 3. A good example of this is with Batman Arkham Asylum and it's sequel. I loved the first game, it was/is amazing. The sequel, not so much. Why? Because it was/is the same exact game except for a different story. Boring, couldn't even get through it all the way. Anywho, get those disagrees going folks, I love them.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 1:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omegastarr82
The problem I have with these "lists" is that the Sims 4 is supposed to be and meant to be a new game. It should be different, it should feel different. The game needs to move forward in order to move on, albeit maybe not to greener pastures. If it's the same thing as its predecessor then why even bother. I'm not saying I have high hopes for the game but I think we should at least stop comparing it to 3 and 2. If you want all of those features in a game then you really should just keep playing 2 or 3. Anywho, get those disagrees going folks, I love them.
Wow - I'm not the only one with this opinion? Nice to meet you! Yes, yes, and yes. We could also compile a list (if I could remember enough) of things that were not included in the base game of Sims 2 that were in Sims 1, and same for Sims 2 to Sims 3. Things change game to game and with a new game, you learn to play a new way, you don't import all of your old ideas into it.[/QUOTE]

Anywho, get those disagrees going folks, I love them.
This is guaranteed. I've seen a few comments where people feel proud of the effect they're having on the rest of the community. Questioning and criticism are one thing - a good and necessary thing! But it's gone beyond that. People are not being honest with themselves about just how snarky they've become. It's not good behavior.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Scholar
#8 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 1:34 PM
The problem I have with these "lists" is that the Sims 4 is supposed to be and meant to be a new game. It should be different, it should feel different. The game needs to move forward in order to move on, albeit maybe not to greener pastures. If it's the same thing as its predecessor then why even bother. I'm not saying I have high hopes for the game but I think we should at least stop comparing it to 3 and 2. If you want all of those features in a game then you really should just keep playing 2 or 3. A good example of this is with Batman Arkham Asylum and it's sequel. I loved the first game, it was/is amazing. The sequel, not so much. Why? Because it was/is the same exact game except for a different story. Boring, couldn't even get through it all the way. Anywho, get those disagrees going folks, I love them.

But no one expects TS4 to be exactly the same as TS3. I don't even understand why you brought that up with your Batman example.

And why would you stop comparing sequels? If you love certain features from TS3, it would be obvious that you hope that they will be there in TS4 too. For this the sequel doesn't have to be the same, but an improvement over the predecessor. So if they are not in, and those are important features for you, why not voice your opinion about it?
Also in the sims, the story is not scripted like in the Batman games. You make your own story using the story building features in the game. So a lot of people hope to find similar story building features at least in the sequel. Hopefully improved or expanded in places where TS3/TS2 was just meh. That some would be removed, that is expected. But when you go over these forums, the general opinion is, why so many features cut? Some of them being quite big features. Not just a guitar exchanged for a piano or whatever.

I do understand though, that if you are lucky and don't really care about all those missing features, that TS4 could shape up real fine for you.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 2:26 PM

On one hand, I can understand where you are coming from, but on the other hand I'd still like to have a dishwasher (etc...).

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 10:24 PM
Okay, I feel compelled to point out that this statement is not correct:

"Can’t create new neighborhoods in-game - can’t in TS2 either, and you needed to buy a completely different game, SimCity 4, instead of using the freely released CAW tool eventually released for TS3."

Wrong. Or at best, inaccurate.

TS2 shipped with a number of pre-made empty neighborhood terrains, which you could use to create your own custom neighborhood, right in the game. SC4 was only needed if you wanted to create your own empty terrain from scratch.
TS3 shipped with 1 world, with another world available to download for free. There was no way to make a custom, non SV- or RV-based world when the game shipped. CAW was released some months after TS3.
Scholar
#11 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 12:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rousseau
Okay, I feel compelled to point out that this statement is not correct:

"Can’t create new neighborhoods in-game - can’t in TS2 either, and you needed to buy a completely different game, SimCity 4, instead of using the freely released CAW tool eventually released for TS3."

Wrong. Or at best, inaccurate.

TS2 shipped with a number of pre-made empty neighborhood terrains, which you could use to create your own custom neighborhood, right in the game. SC4 was only needed if you wanted to create your own empty terrain from scratch.
TS3 shipped with 1 world, with another world available to download for free. There was no way to make a custom, non SV- or RV-based world when the game shipped. CAW was released some months after TS3.

There was also the full world "Elsewhere" by Plasticbox for TS2. It was a custom terrain, with a fully built custom town in it, akin to what you'd expect when you download a TS3 world.
It's the only one like it I have so I don't know if there were any other fully built towns for TS2.
This is still my neighborhood of choice when I go back and play TS2.

Screenshots
Test Subject
#12 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 12:01 AM Last edited by threedeesix : 23rd Aug 2014 at 4:03 AM.
I eagerly await the launch of the new game. I already love CAS, and hope to enjoy the actual game half as much. I have every expansion for Sims 1, Sims 2, and Sims 3. I'm sure when they become available, I'll have them all for Sims 4 unless EA somehow completely messes it up.

Three years from now I won't care when this or that feature was added, or if the feature came with the base game or not.

For me its less important what won't be in the base game at launch, compared to what the game will become down the road.
Scholar
#13 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 11:17 AM
I'm fairly sure that dating was added in a patch for TS3…also added in Nightlife TS2. Is it definitely in TS4?
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 11:30 AM Last edited by EK_Painkiller : 23rd Aug 2014 at 12:01 PM.

Bullhonkey.

It's a Sequel, there is no such thing as a 'Different' Game.

Super Metroid was No Different From Metroid, it merely improved on the idea.

Sim City 2000 Was No different from Sim City, it improved on the idea.

even with Batman Arkham City, It Improved Greatly on the combat, made flowing into it alot easier, and made countering melee weapons (A Problem in Asylum) Alot more viable. The open world also made Batman's gadgetry have alot more range of action especially the batclaw.

Those are called...IMPROVEMENTS.

EDIT: And I know sequels can technically be different from their Predecessor...Here's the thing though.

They have to actually be DIFFERENT.

Final Fantasy ALWAYS changed pieces of the battle system for example, or how about Classic Castlevania to Symphony of the Night. However, Egoraptor made a clear point with Castlevania 4.

Yeah they made the whip more easier to use...

And made the Subweapons completely useless. Because they never realized how much That would change how you interact with the enemies around you. (I.E. Make them much easier to hit without using Subweapons.)

The problem isn't that Sims 4 is a different game, The Sims 4 is a Sims game with shit just removed out of it for the sake of time. It is still under the hood the EXACT Same game; A Life Simulator. The Problem is that they're

A.) Not doing anything to improve on that concept. (Like The Massive world shrinkage.)

B.) The things that they are doing are in the sake of other features that did the exact same thing. (Emotions for example, being similar to moodlets.)

C.) Didn't bother improving on the things they fucked up on prior (CASt and The TS3 Story Progression.), Instead quit and decided to remove them instead of actually fixing their mess.

It makes the job LOOK lazy. They're trying to emulate The Sims 2 (With everything from how the Towns are, to the actual look of the sims themselves.), forgetting how much growth The Sims 2 actually had JUST on it's base game alone.

If they wanted to build a different game, Fine. ACTUALLY BASE THE GAME AROUND THOSE DIFFERENCES. Don't even include things like the Goths or other things Sims fans are familiar with. Build the game AROUND those differences, instead of trying to placate to fans both old and new. (Something that EAxis is blatantly trying to do.) So far, they HAVEN'T Done that, they've merely Based the game on The Sims 2 and got rid of features for time.

Again, The Problem isn't that it's different from The Sims 2-3

No...

The Problem Is that it ISN'T Different From The Sims 2-3 (It even uses similar (Not the same) Mod Packaging.).
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 12:26 PM
Sims 2 was actually a good game, even without any EP and stuff packs.
Sims 3 give me repulsive feelings every time I watch some videos. So when I have intention to buy it, is enough to see a video to change idea.
Sims 4 looks like a game that may fell empty at the start, but surely to me, looks better than the Sims 3, and I fell it will become cool. I'll buy it for sure.

No restaurants - Weren’t in TS2 base game and not in TS4 either.
- I'm sure we will see them (I love restaurants in Sims 2 nightlife)

No grocery stores - There actually were grocery stores in TS3, yes they were rabbit holes, but in TS4 they were removed completely, along with bookstores.
No clothing shops - Not in TS4 either.
- This is unfortunate. I loved shops in the Sims 2 (you could even see them from inside, and try chlotes)

No aspirations - These were replaced with a combination of traits and lifetime wishes, a much more robust system that allowed you to make more nuanced and varied sims. While there is something called an aspiration in TS4, it is a completely different system from either previous game. It might be better, worse, or not significantly different.
No lifetime aspiration meter or anything to show how fulfilling your sims life has been - Lifetime aspiration wasn’t added until the Free Time expansion. In TS3 there is lifetime happiness instead. In TS4 I’m guessing that the equivalent system will center around emotions. It might be better, worse, or not significantly different.
No interests - Not in TS4 either, and was repaced in most ways by a combination of favorites and traits in TS3.
- I think this way is better. it make me more curious to know what my sims likes, instead of deciding what he likes before.

No fears - Not in TS4 either.
- No problem with that, we don't live by thinking costantly about our fears. And we can react differently to the same situation, depending on our mood, or who is around us.

No private schools and wooing the headmaster “minigame to get into private school”
- Unfortunate

No dating system and dating “minigame” to get a perfect date - Dating was added in expansion packs in both TS2 and TS3. You can go on dates in TS4 base game.
- It was fun to do, but I'm fine without.

No turn ons and turn offs - Not in TS2 base game and not in TS4 either.
- What does it means? I can't decide if my sims can or can't age? (When I played Sims 2, I always typed the cheat 'aging off' or I extended lifetime to 9999 with SimPE'. I didn't want my sims aging up)

No memories - This sounds like it might actually be an improved system in TS4.
- No problem

No aliens - Not in TS4 either, TS3 had playable ghosts instead.
- I'm fine with this

Hedges, flowers and trees never require maintenance (trimming, watering, etc.) and they never die - Not in TS4 either, TS3 didn’t have this, but did have an extensive vegetable gardening system and skill in the base game.
- Unfortunate. I liked gardening in Sims 2. Maybe they will add it.

Environment and comfort needs removed - Replaced with moodlets in TS3 and emotions/moodlets in TS4.
- Fine

No illnesses - Not in TS4 either.
- Unfortunate

No inheritance when family dies - Rumored to not be in TS4 either.
- I don't know, I never allowed my sims to age and die, and so I will not in Sims 4 if I can turn aging off.

No need to buy clothes - Not in TS4 either.
- Unfortunate

No cockroaches for dirty homes - Probably not in TS4 either as there’s no exterminator.
- Unfortunate

No zodiac signs - Not in TS4 either.
- Fine

Can’t bathe babies and toddlers - Can’t bathe babies in TS4 either, and toddlers don’t even exist.
- Unfortunate. Hopefully they will add them in future expansions

No cleaning skill - Not in TS4 either, in TS3 the skill system was greatly enhanced to be more similar to the talent badge system that wasn’t introduced until OfB in TS2, and cleaning didn’t really fit into that system as it’s not really that interesting or impressive of a skill.
- It would be nice if there is a job about cleaning

No yoga or meditation skills - Probably not in TS4 either as nothing has been mentioned about them. TS3 had fully fledged gardening and fishing in base game instead, as well as breaking up the creativity skill into separate, fully featured writing, painting and guitar skills. These were all more robust than the hidden skills they replaced.
- Unfortunate, but is a probability.

No car animations or interactions - Not in TS4 either because cars don’t exist. Ownable cars also weren’t in TS2 base game, only carpools and taxis, which also don’t exist in TS4.
- I think they will add them in future, hoping there will be the animation where sims go on car (instead of disappearing like in the sims 3)

No unlockable secret lots - These weren’t in TS2 base game either.
- Fine (I didn't even like secret lots)

No basements - basements could be made in unpatched TS3 using foundations in a similar way to TS2, the basement tool that was added to TS3 later made making basements easier and made it possible to go down multiple levels
- Basement was nice

Teens don’t get acne - not in TS4 either
- Unfortunate. It was fun in the Sims 2

No need for friends to get promoted - TS3 careers require you to fill up a performance bar instead, allowing them to make careers have a greater variety of requirements. Some of those requirements include raising charisma skill, which requires friends, but it also allows the careers to specify particular relationships, such as with your boss, teammates, co-workers, accomplices, partner, etc., as well as add other requirements that didn’t exist in TS2, such as writing reports, fundraising, and holding meetings, adding more variation to how the different career tracks play out. TS4 will hopefully be closer to TS3 than TS2 in this regard.
- Fine

No chance cards at work - These were replaced in TS3 with the opportunity system and the ability to choose tones for your sims at work. TS4 has chance cards again.
- Like in the sims 2?

No lifetime relationship bar - Not in TS4 either, although they do have a separate romance bar, which is nice.
- Fine, though I liked to keep friendship in the Sims 2 (Unless a sim didn't wanted to have '10 close friends'. It was hard then.

Less control over inactive families because of story progression - Story Progression was implemented poorly in TS3, and instead of trying to fix it, they decided to just get rid of it altogether in TS4.
- Honestly I'm happy with that (since I don't allow my sims to age)

More difficulties in rotational play - This is because of the less control over inactive families due to story progression, it’s not it’s own separate point.
- Like the Sims 2?

No personality points - this was replaced with the trait system, which allowed for much more variety in sims’ personalities, and those traits had much more of an impact on gameplay than personality points. Was anyone ever actually upset about the trait system replacing personality points?
- Fine

Only one world - There were two, if you count the free download of Riverview, and they were much larger and more detailed than the TS2 worlds. TS4 also has only two, with much less available space than either of the previous two games, whether you count Riverview or not.
- Unfortunate. At leas I hope for a future 'create a world' for sims 4

Cartoon charm graphic style lost and replaced by more realistic graphics
Sims have “pudding face” which a lot of people don’t like - graphic style is a preference and there will always be people who prefer one style over another.
- How much I hated this fact in Sims 3. In sims 4 it seems there is a mixture of both, going more towars Sims 2 graphic than Sims 3.

Missing Items (from the Sims 3 basegame):
No pianos - TS3 had guitars in base game instead.
- Am I wrong or Sims 4 has both of them?

No recliners - Haven’t heard of them being in TS4 either.
- Unfortunate

No diving boards or pool slides - Not in TS4 either since pools don’t exist in TS4.
No hot tubs - Not in TS4 either.
No magazines - Not in TS4 either.
- Unfortunate, but they will come back with some EP

No wedding arch - That’s one for TS4.
- Yes

No changing tables - Not in TS4 either because babies are objects and toddlers don’t exist.
- Unfortunate

Miscellaneous (from the Sims 3 basegame):
No cinematics for moving, woohooing, etc. - Not in TS4 either
- I can live with that (I always removed them in Sims 2)

No underwear clothing category - Not in TS4 either, in TS3 your sims could wear underwear as sleepwear instead, as the underwear category was rarely used and didn’t add much to the game. In TS4 you can wear underwear in any category.
- Fine

Missing NPCs: Exterminator, headmaster, social bunny, therapist, gardener, butler, or nanny - Not in TS4 either, with a sort of exception for the gardener, which only goes around the public area. Nannies were replaced with babysitters in TS3. TS4 also does not have burglars, repairmen, repo men, fire fighters, or police officers.
- Unfortunate

No body shop application - Not in TS4 either.
- Didn't they sell them in Sims 3?

Can’t create new neighborhoods in-game - can’t in TS2 either, and you needed to buy a completely different game, SimCity 4, instead of using the freely released CAW tool eventually released for TS3.
- I have Sim City 4 so I can. I hope there will be something similar to CAW for Sims 4 too.

Each job doesn’t have a career reward - Okay.
- Fine, though career reward was fun (I was never able to get them)

Most community lots are rabbit holes that you can’t see your sim in - That was frustrating, but TS4 in some cases seems to be taking this even further, for example replacing the bookstore rabbit hole with magic bookshelves that you can buy books from. They didn’t get rid of the movie theater or spa or bistro rabbit holes in TS4 to replace them with open versions of those things, they just simply don’t exist anymore.
Hair doesn’t move - Not in TS4 either.
- Unfortunate

In short, here are the things from this list that TS4 base game = has over BOTH TS2 and TS3 base games:
Dating
Unlockable secret lots

And here are the things that TS4 is bringing back that were in TS2 BG but not TS3 BG:
Memories
- Yes

Chance cards at work

Wedding arch
- Yes

Every job has career rewards (unlockable objects)
- Yes

Pianos
- Yes

Everything else isn’t going to be in TS4 base game either (or actually was in TS3 or had an equivalent or improvement), and this time we’re also losing the following that have been in both previous base games:

Toddlers
- Hoping they'll come back

Pools
- Hoping they'll come back

Teens with different heights
- In real life, most teen have reached their filanl height, so I'm fine with that (especially if they plan to add pre-teen stage alongside toddlers)

Babies that aren’t objects
- Hope they will improve that

NPCs: burglars, repairmen, repo men, fire fighters, police officers
- We need them

Dishwashers, Trash compactors, Fire & Burglar Alarms
- Unfortunate

Ghosts
- I liked the ghost system in Sims 2, but not in Sims 3. I'm fine

Carpools, Taxis, School Buses
- Unfortunately

Family Trees
- Unfortunately

Foundations separate by building
- Unfortunately

Terrain height tools
- I don't care about that. I always worked on flat lots even in Sims 2

Pond tools
- Unfortunate

Foundation basements
- Unfortunate (they may add later, I think)

More editable lots
- Unfortunate

More floors/stories for houses
- did you mean 'stores' ? Is unfortunate.
Instructor
#16 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 12:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AliceSacco
*snip*

God, use the spoiler, that wall of text nearly killed my touchpad.

More floors/stories for houses
- did you mean 'stores' ? Is unfortunate.

There is a difference between AmE and BrE. A level of a building in Britain is a storey (plural - storeys). In the US and some other places it's called story (pl. stories).
Mad Poster
#17 Old 24th Aug 2014 at 6:13 PM
Sims 2 was actually a good game, even without any EP and stuff packs.
Sims 3 give me repulsive feelings every time I watch some videos. So when I have intention to buy it, is enough to see a video to change idea.
Ok, firstly, I have to say that was a wicked long post. It was probably good, but I ran out of steam and didn't read it all. Sorry.

Anyway, when you talk about videos, are you talking about the promo videos? Because, if you are, the promo videos for both Sims 3 & 4 are a bit lacking and stupid. The Sims 3 is actually a fun game. If you're watching a "Let's Play" video, then you've gotten a better feel for it. Personally, I like watching LGR because he's pretty funny and, even when I don't agree with him, I learn alot about the games and expansions he reviews, enough to make a decision about purchasing them.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.