Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#76 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 6:07 PM
Did they ever? Or were we just less inspective of them when TS1 was around? I mean at that stage, Sims hadn't become a sort of religion.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
Theorist
#77 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 6:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Did they ever? Or were we just less inspective of them when TS1 was around? I mean at that stage, Sims hadn't become a sort of religion.

Do you really think Maxis would have been capable of producing the Sims 2 if EA meddled the way they do now? :v

I mean, the cars bounce on the shocks when you close the doors, and soft seats squish under your sims' weight FFS.
Scholar
#78 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 6:15 PM
So sims era is ending...Can't say that I'm surprised. TS4 is a failure, that dragged down entire franchise. But the worst part is that nobody from EA, Maxis team admits it. Instead they ignores or fight everyone who dare to criticize game and them. If they would listen to people and try to fix situation as much as possible..maybe the will be some hope. But well this is EA, they screw up everything they can. Worst gaming company ever.
So I guess that sims 3 is the last sims game that I play.
Test Subject
#79 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 6:16 PM
Right now I don’t know for sure I have faith in EA making agreat TS5, even if they were making one. I hope another company sees the value and makes something similar.

Cities: Skylines was way better than the last Simcity. Planet Coaster crushed the new Rollercoaster tycoon. Maybe a new fresh look could fix TS.

And in case it does nog work out. I’ll always have TS3. #ts4doesnotexist
Instructor
#80 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 6:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Well, this will be a fun year, will it not?

Were you banned because you argued with that jackjack_k, as far as I recall your last replies being towards to (also, for some reason I can't check your list of threads & comments, so could that mean a perma-ban?). Some people do start getting annoyed over threads they lock that have concerns of fired gurus.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...d-thread#latest

I wonder how long will everything last? When will TS4 be considered death after they move to that crappy platform vision ? Only a year?

I didn't do SHIT. Other times it's happened there's typically been a post where I thought "maybe it was that one" by some super strict rule, but this time...? I had like one post actually voicing my thoughts and then three others composed of one sentence. As far as I'm concerned, it takes a pretty wild stretch of the imagination to say this ban is warranted at all. I find it odd too that they purged my posts first, then randomly an hour or two later they went with a ban.

I'm left to conclude I was banned for saying "I told you so" or for having the audacity to tell jackjack that the promotional thing for registering with Sims Mobile was designed to wean players away from Sims 4 and towards Sims Mobile. (spoiler alert: that's exactly what the intent is) I don't see how either of those warrant a ban.

It doesn't matter regardless. I was gonna be done here whether it happened or not, and I'm kind of "glad" they did it. I just find it funny they permabanned me when I wasn't really conversing with anyone and had only very brief short sentences as posts. If they didn't do it, no biggie and I would've left anyways. They do it? Just makes them look ridiculous, as if they're stretching their imagination to shut down dissent while it becomes painfully obvious this game is burning to the ground. Even some of their usual loyal supporters are pretty upset by all this news.

At this point, I think the bans are more for their benefit and their comfort. It makes it easier for them themselves to believe their stupid god awful mobile game is gonna actually succeed if they just silence all the people pointing to the evidence it won't.
Theorist
#81 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 6:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DeservedCriticism
I'm left to conclude I was banned for saying "I told you so" or for having the audacity to tell jackjack that the promotional thing for registering with Sims Mobile was designed to wean players away from Sims 4 and towards Sims Mobile. (spoiler alert: that's exactly what the intent is) I don't see how either of those warrant a ban.

It got you banned because you're saying the thing they're not allowed to be saying out loud

I'm going to need a lot more alcohol for this.

I sure wish Internet forums based in America were afforded protection under the first amendment.
Smeg Head
#82 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 7:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
Do you really think Maxis would have been capable of producing the Sims 2 if EA meddled the way they do now? :v

I mean, the cars bounce on the shocks when you close the doors, and soft seats squish under your sims' weight FFS.

I suppose it's just a matter of perspective, but since the last throes of TS3 and the kerfuffle of getting TS4 ready for the world (Ha!) and shipped, the worst enemies of the (newly remade) Maxis, were newly remade Maxis themselves. Too many cooks with no knowledge how to even make the once legendary broth, let alone spoil it. Too many head honchos more interested in furthering their own careers than the franchise itself. Too many with their ideas and visions, that if those visions worked, it was a ticket out of the Sims shithole and onto bigger projects for being a visionary genius, and to hell with the notion if it actually improved the franchise or not. That was never their endgame. Reckless, cutthroat gamblers each and ever one, who silver-tongued and spiel-blinded EA into those positions. EA just care about the money. And if you come to them with a healthy enough CV and scream at them how much more money you can make them because of your biblical visions, the dollar signs in their eyes sparkle like never before and they'll probably give you a job. I almost feel sorry for EA. Almost. I mean, EA did not give your those top end, franchise-forming (deforming) jobs because you sat on the fence quietly waiting for them to pick you.

All just a point of view, of course.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#83 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 7:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge

I don't buy this EA-evil-suits-interfering-and-ruining-everything narrative, I rather believe that the current Sims studio just simply sucks.
Or rather, because they suck so much they have become an object of corporate shoving around.
Field Researcher
#84 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 7:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DeservedCriticism
Ahahaha and I'm banned again. I didn't even directly address a single user and made a grand total of 4 posts, with only one being longer than a sentence. Saw they'd gone through and quietly removed basically all of them, and now about 2 hours later, here I am and suddenly there's a ban. This one seems permanent too since it's acting different on log in.

This is all just a sad joke at this point. No devs around but by God they have the staff to patrol those forums and purge anything that could even remotely encourage critical thought! EA really is absolutely shameless.

For fuck sake! Mods getting a bit power crazy over the tiniest thing.
Top Secret Researcher
#85 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 7:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coolspear1
The king is dead, (Maxis Sims) Long live the king, (Paradox Sims)

Could be they may have gotten wind a better, more proficient developer is coming to a People Simulator world near you soon, and are getting out of Dodge before the inevitable game comparisons become a circus of utter embarrassment and shame that would further damage the credibility of any other EA projects. (Again with the SimCity fiasco.)

Could you elaborate on this, Coolspear? What's Paradox doing? A quick visit to their website suggests just a city simulator, not a people simulator.

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Mad Poster
#86 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 8:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
I don't buy this EA-evil-suits-interfering-and-ruining-everything narrative, I rather believe that the current Sims studio just simply sucks.
Or rather, because they suck so much they have become an object of corporate shoving around.

^Pretty much this. I do believe that EA being...well...EA did have a hand in this. But not all of it. As much as they love to tout this game as their vision, built on the highest and strongest of foundations (ironic, given how horrible actual foundations are in TS4), I highly doubt Maxis is some blameless victim of corporate greed. The problems in this game, the ones that run MUCH deeper than budget and time restraints, are on them just as much as they are on EA. In fact...why are we even talking as if they're a separate entity from EA? Once upon a time, Maxis could have been considered that. But they've become such a poster child for game devs turning into corporate sellouts, you might as well no longer differentiate the two.

The Receptacle still lives!
Smeg Head
#87 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 9:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Corylea
Could you elaborate on this, Coolspear? What's Paradox doing? A quick visit to their website suggests just a city simulator, not a people simulator.

Ah, it was/is just a hunch, sure. One of the most likely candidates for it, if it were to be more than a general prediction.

Given they seem to be getting closer to a direct people sim from the city sim. That new Mars colony game they're currently involved in, reminds me in some ways of an oldie-but-goodie, sim-ish title I love playing - Space Colony. Recently got that again on the tidied-up Steam version for mere pennies, and it did rekindle some fond memories - and some of the annoyances, too. But worth it for mere pennies. I'm waiting to first play a backlog of games I've already got just sitting here rusting away on my PC, till I'm ready to look more into the Mars Colony game, and by then the price would have dropped a bit, too - bonus. To sense just how close Paradox possibly are nearing to the dedicated people simulator game.

They know, with eyes wide open, what they did to the SimCity franchise before, during and after release of Skylines (One of those titles rusting away as yet un-played on my PC!) I don't see them holding back or having doubts about doing same to The Sims franchise, once (if) they go green lights on it.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Theorist
#88 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 9:54 PM
Do you mean Surviving Mars coolspear1? That game is no where near a people simulator anymore than any city builder game is, IMO. I like the game (and even did a LP of it) but the in-dome/people sim aspects is one of the games biggest disappointments for me. The models are nice and everything has animations with effects and different texture states which is amazing but that's the extent of it. The game is designed to run hands off at a macro level - so even though there's lots of detail and colonists have traits and the like and you want to manage your colonists the game isn't really designed for it. The people simulation is pretty but shallow.
Top Secret Researcher
#89 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 10:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coolspear1
That new Mars colony game they're currently involved in, reminds me in some ways of an oldie-but-goodie, sim-ish title I love playing - Space Colony.

I have Space Colony but haven't played it in years. Thanks for reminding me of it; I may need to drag it out and see if it'll still run.

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Inventor
#90 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 11:43 PM Last edited by douglasveiga : 22nd Apr 2018 at 2:49 PM.
To be honest, I am not surprised about The Sims franchise shifting focus to mobile devices, because the current game (The Sims 4) already looks and feels like a mobile game ported to PC, so this "horrible" transition most of the fans fears about it already happened, they just didn't notice yet.
Lab Assistant
#91 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 2:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon

Quote:
"The approval process that had developed, the silver bullet thing, no longer existed. Instead, we had an approval process that involved a lot of salespeople, marketing people and not so many game makers,” Rechtschaffner says. “I think it shifted to become much more marketing focused, much more new feature focused for a number of years. And I think that hurt big franchises like FIFA where the gameplay kinda got stagnant even though there were all those marketable features. It left them vulnerable to competition."

usgamer.net

Interesting article giving some perspective how EA changed since 2007/8.
So it's not only the Studio to blame but mostly the higher ups. I mean, the idea of only making games with an online component came from non other than Frank Gibeau, who was president of EA Labels back in the days (2012).
Scholar
#92 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 3:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
https://twitter.com/SimGuruKate/sta...721886036410368

This person is starting to get on my nerves. The more people ask about hearing from the PC side of the sims team, the more this woman avoids questions, but...she continues to act as though she is some magical fairy godmother waving her wand. I understand that there are many children that play TS4, but can she not? Halloween is 6 months away.

I get that not everybody loves to play games on a PC, just as there are people that don't like playing games on their phones. However, I do find it interesting how she can talk about people not having the means to purchase a PC, but somehow they have the means to hand over their wallets in the name of micro-transactions to EA? TS4 doesn't need a $4,000.00 gaming rig. A system does need to be a bit beefier than than a potato though.

I'm also fully aware that people can watch the ads and not have to pay for the crap that is being offered on Sims Mobile. People are impulsive and ridiculous though, especially those that have to have everything because somebody, somewhere might give a rats ass. EA loves impulsive people as such behavior keeps them laughing all the way to the bank.

Who is fairy godmother, Kate really talking to? The 8's and 12's? The impulsive? It certainly isn't to those that don't believe in fairy godmothers and magic wands.

I have an Intel i5 laptop and I could run Sims 2 and 3 smoothly on it. I don't need the mobile version.
Scholar
#93 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 4:47 AM

This person is starting to get on my nerves. The more people ask about hearing from the PC side of the sims team, the more this woman avoids questions, but...she continues to act as though she is some magical fairy godmother waving her wand. I understand that there are many children that play TS4, but can she not? Halloween is 6 months away.

I get that not everybody loves to play games on a PC, just as there are people that don't like playing games on their phones. However, I do find it interesting how she can talk about people not having the means to purchase a PC, but somehow they have the means to hand over their wallets in the name of micro-transactions to EA? TS4 doesn't need a $4,000.00 gaming rig. A system does need to be a bit beefier than than a potato though.

I'm also fully aware that people can watch the ads and not have to pay for the crap that is being offered on Sims Mobile. People are impulsive and ridiculous though, especially those that have to have everything because somebody, somewhere might give a rats ass. EA loves impulsive people as such behavior keeps them laughing all the way to the bank.

Who is fairy godmother, Kate really talking to? The 8's and 12's? The impulsive? It certainly isn't to those that don't believe in fairy godmothers and magic wands.

Since that tweet (and the backlash to it), she's posted screens of her Sims 4 game. In other news, SimGuru Sarah has emerged to tweet that she hasn't been around because she's on maternity leave until the fall. So Sarah and Lyndsay are both off on maternity leave. If multiple SimGurus were indeed let go, I'm still quite curious to know who they were. Right now it's just looking like Daniel to me and maybe or maybe not some unknown Maxis employees.

I do wish SimGuru Kate would back off though and stay in her mobile realm.
Instructor
#94 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 4:53 AM

Everyone needs to be able to sleep at night believing they are a good person or that they provide a valuable service to society. This person seems to aid their sleep by convincing herself she's not producing a microtransaction scam, but rather she's bringing a wonderful game to poor starving children in Africa that are too poor to afford computers and have to make do with their iphones. It's beautiful, really.
Mad Poster
#95 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 6:48 AM
Like...I don't think you can really say you're doing people a service when you're giving them a bare bones excuse for a Sims game where you have to pay actual money just so your sims won't take a fucking hour to eat their dinner or wash their hands. The Sims mobile is NOT a sims experience. It is one of the most shameless scams I've ever seen from these so called "Free to Play" mobile games.

They would have gotten a better "Sims experience" from porting TS1 or one of the old console games to mobile devices.

The Receptacle still lives!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#96 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 8:58 AM
Well unless I can set up a docking station for my mobile device, moving games to mobile means I can't use them, since my eyes are not good enough to do anything that isn't text with a configurable scale. I need my large screen. If they do a PC app not just android and apple then I guess I'll give it a go.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#97 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 9:06 AM
Doesn't matter for me what her words say. The Experience on pc will be shitty because the budge is slice down to smaller than ever and the old wise veteran guru head is now gone from the franchise. Simmers wouldn't mind If that didn't happen. Though I am wondering again, as to why EA couldn't stick with free play? Are they so dumb to see that they're fine from having to yield money from that cash machine? Or the $$$$$$$$ symbols sparkle so much in their eyes that they starting to like beggars in the street with a suit and limousine outside sitting on the curb asking for every small penny and cent? That doesn't really make sense (then again, EA never did tho).
Field Researcher
#98 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 9:27 AM
They've put The Sims in the mobile gaming pool and taken away the ladder.
Test Subject
#99 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 9:28 AM
Sorry to see you go Deserved from that cesspool forum. Gosh everyone who works there lately have severe anger issues, unless you mention butterflies and rainbows or act like you are from a sheltered workshops making unicorn vomit. You didn't deserve your perma ban. I got myself a wall of warnings too
Mad Poster
#100 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 10:52 AM
The mobile games could have been a cute little travel simming experience if not for the heavy handed microtransactions.

I get that companies need to make money but games did perfectly fine charging consumers UP FRONT for products. They should have provided players with an alternative at least - pay for the game in full to not experience any of the BS and have your game, or buy in to the scam.

That would be too hard, though. They’d go backrupt.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Page 4 of 39