Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#126 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 8:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Your comment doesn't deserve so many reds disagrees clicks... What your saying is actually true, Of course not everyone like TS3 and prefer sticking to the past games or to TS4 for good reasons. Though, never had a sequel sucked so much and felt a massive downgrade with the prequels. That's hard to deny also. I'd admit, I do really wish to see TS4 end sooner, but I'm not sure If what I'm wishing for the better good of us. If TS4 ends, what's next? We aren't guaranteed that TS5 will be created (since EA might be too blind to see it with their new platform project, and the waking call to them might not come any time soon) and we aren't sure there will be a competitor as there isn't any no blatant hint some other reputable corporation is planning to make it (I'm not buying the ticket for the hype just for my hopes to be shatter when Paradox brutally announce they aren't gonna make one). It might take ages or years until somebody would dare to revive/challenge the series. Simmers will eventually need to come to accept the fact and terms that (if) there will not be any sequel and they will have to stick playing with what they have (TS3/TS2/TS1). It's unfortunate, but hey, eventually the franchise will need to come to an end. I know I sound like a downer, but hey we still have the modding community to keep the games running and stable for as long as someone takes the wheel (again, a competitor). I feel so sorry for all loyal TS4 fans and the whole community that's looking forward ahead of the time tuned that have some strong feelings with what's going with the franchise, that feel pure disappoint with where our beloved game is heading.

I have a little recipe if someone feels bad from this news. Play in Sims 2. This game will drive away all the bad thoughts and feelings.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#127 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 8:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DezzyBoo
I really have to hope I always can get a comp with a cd/DVD drive because if not, I'm screwed. I can't get the ultimate collection from origin for S2 so...yeah.

I tried playing Sims Freeplay but it was beyond frustrating. Couldn't do anything without spending money.

I haven't tried the Sims mobile but I doubt it's any better.

So this just makes me sad. Sigh.

Tried mobile deleted it with in a week of getting it the sims are very ugly and it's real SOB to try and play. If that is the future of the sims I'll pass on them and EA can goto Hell!
Alchemist
#128 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 8:31 PM
EA must be the last company on earth who needs to do budget cuts considering the cash that's rolling in for them. Sure their costs with employees and development must be a lot, but I sincerely doubt EA is making less money than they are investing.

I guess I will just have to accept (which isn't bad at all) that The Sims 3 will be the last jewel of The Sims, but I can also see a future in The Sims 4 wearing out and the mobile game flopping or having a lukewarm reception just like any other mobile The Sims title, and EA wanting to pick up the huge amount of money that is in The Sims franchise when you give the fans what they want.
Top Secret Researcher
#129 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 9:55 PM
Yep. You'll find me over in the corner with both 2 and 3.
Field Researcher
#130 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 10:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Your comment doesn't deserve so many reds disagrees clicks... What your saying is actually true, Of course not everyone like TS3 and prefer sticking to the past games or to TS4 for good reasons. Though, never had a sequel sucked so much and felt a massive downgrade with the prequels. That's hard to deny also. I'd admit, I do really wish to see TS4 end sooner, but I'm not sure If what I'm wishing for the better good of us. If TS4 ends, what's next? We aren't guaranteed that TS5 will be created (since EA might be too blind to see it with their new platform project, and the waking call to them might not come any time soon) and we aren't sure there will be a competitor as there isn't any no blatant hint some other reputable corporation is planning to make it (I'm not buying the ticket for the hype just for my hopes to be shatter when Paradox brutally announce they aren't gonna make one). It might take ages or years until somebody would dare to revive/challenge the series. Simmers will eventually need to come to accept the fact and terms that (if) there will not be any sequel and they will have to stick playing with what they have (TS3/TS2/TS1). It's unfortunate, but hey, eventually the franchise will need to come to an end. I know I sound like a downer, but hey we still have the modding community to keep the games running and stable for as long as someone takes the wheel (again, a competitor). I feel so sorry for all loyal TS4 fans and the whole community that's looking forward ahead of the time tuned that have some strong feelings with what's going with the franchise, that feel pure disappoint with where our beloved game is heading.

It definitely deserved mine, because I disagreed.
Field Researcher
#131 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 10:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Corylea
I never played Freeplay, but it was still on my phone. Yesterday I deleted it.

I encourage all Sims players to delete Freeplay and Sims Mobile. If the response to the news that Sims is going to be entirely mobile in the future is that thousands of people delete the game, maybe that will wake up EA.

I read today they came up with a new trick. A feature for your Sims 4 game you can only get when you install Mobile (something with family portraits?). Which means they are desperate for people to install Mobile, which means your idea doesn’t sound so bad at all.
Mad Poster
#132 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 12:54 AM
EA can go to corporate hell for charging players $9 for a fucking outfit when players can get stuff packs for the same price and get a hell of a lot more content.

They’re taking this free to play model too far. I can see charging a dollar or two for all of that, but $9? They must be out of their minds. The economy isn’t that damn bad.

I’m usually one for the “if the price is too high, go somewhere else” mindset, because I too see customers that complain about high prices, but there’s a difference between high and ridiculous.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Field Researcher
#133 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 2:04 AM
The real world dollar amounts seen in TSM aren’t to acquire said content, no, they literally just unlock that stuff early. If you don’t have the funds (coins, simcash, or tokens) to buy it, you will either have to buy those too, or “earn” them by playing the game for at least 8 hours a day, everyday for the better half of 6 months - at which point you will *maybe* have enough to buy the set you splurged to unlock at level 12 instead of level 35.
Mad Poster
#134 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 2:23 AM
They’d be making money hand over fist if they stopped being greedy and worked.

How I see, with The new mobile game, they just have to use low poly models from TS4, modified animations, and then up-charge for them. The Sims models has already made most of its money from TS4 existing.

“Here’s 6 pieces from a set from Get Together. $40 please.”

You can even say it’s can be earned. No one’s spending that much time grinding for a bedroom set. They feel like they’ve invested time with the game, so the spend some money. They feel like they’ve invested in the game financially, so they spend even more. An ugly cycle. I met someone who spent $2000 on a game before. I could never...

-

“Upgrade to a double bed to unlock woo-hoo! $5!”

Really?

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Field Researcher
#135 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 3:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
Sim cash costs actual money. You can't earn it. The 'cash' that is earned in game looks like a yellow coin. The stuff that costs sim bucks or the game cash that people actually have to use real money to buy has a icon for a money bundle.

Wait, perhaps I'm not understanding well. Are they really, really asking for players to pay $20 dollars (or... even $90?!) for ported (aka rehashed) TS4 objects? I'm mean... just... what?
Forum Resident
#136 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 4:04 AM
Well, I wasn't going to buy an imperfect TS5 anyway seeing as how much "stress" my hate-love with TS4 has caused me at the beginning until they had added toddlers, but I'm sad for those that are 100 percent pleased with everything EA does for the sims and would buy anything with the label on it even if it has way less content than what you would expect for the price tag. NOT. It's your own fault, guys that EA thinks, we're so down for microtransactions and I'm partly to blame, because I do buy ten dollar stuff packs and almost naked EPs, because I do like the game somehow and starve for content.
Seeing as they've just reduced the team size for TS4, the EPs will probably just drop every two years and will be even more bare bone than they've been during the whole cycle. There was not one, I've been totally pleased with.
Forum Resident
#137 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 4:33 AM
Studio Killer EA doing what Studio Killer EA does best. They are bold faced LYING. Hell yeah, sometimes people can't afford PCs to play different games. Do they deserve to play The Sims? Sure, it's an amazing game. But Sims Mobile IS NOT the Sims on a less expensive platform, they are seriously lying to people and I feel bad for the ones that weren't able to play and now think that they can. It's not the sims. It's a shitty mobile game loaded with microtransactions like every other shitty mobile game on the app store, it just happens to have the Sims name attached to it.
They'll leech whatever money they can from these people then dump everything down the shitter like they did to Visceral after DS3.

They didn't even create any new assets. Assholes.

FOR THE HORDE
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#138 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 7:40 AM
Everybody else that I've seen thus so far on Twitter at least acts as though Sims Mobile is all rainbows and unicorn farts.

Well at least now we know why. Because I had been finding it strange how the various Sims news sites and influencers had been going all-in on The Sims Mobile. To the point where there is more coverage about it than TS4.

Edit: Another tidbit from someone over at ResetEra:

Quote: Originally posted by SilverArrow20XX
Been expecting this since Sims 4 released. I did QA for Sims 3 and 4 for a few years. We kept supporting Sims 3 in full force for its entire lifetime up until the release push for Sims 4. As soon as 4 released though, they moved us all to different projects (mostly mobile) and it only had a small skeleton team.
Field Researcher
#139 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 8:06 AM
I was picking on the outfit earlier, but it does get worse.

From what I can tell in this video, EA makes it impossible to put together a room without using actual money. There are a few things that can be purchased by money earned in game, but for matchy-matchy people, they're going to have to open their wallets and pay for it, literally. I haven't watched enough Sims Mobile LPs to see what else EA nickle and dimes people to death for. I'm sure there is plenty...

This is the second time I've used one of Andrew's videos today. I'm not doing so to pick on him. Rather, I'm using his videos as he's the only one I've seen so far that has pointed this kind of crap out. Everybody else that I've seen thus so far on Twitter at least acts as though Sims Mobile is all rainbows and unicorn farts.

Lets all go spend $100.00 for 7500 sim bucks, NOT! It doesn't annoy the masses enough that the color swatches in TS4 don't match, now EA wants people to pay for matching crap.

Sim cash costs actual money. You can't earn it. The 'cash' that is earned in game looks like a yellow coin. The stuff that costs sim bucks or the game cash that people actually have to use real money to buy has a icon for a money bundle.

The outfit in question has a $8.99 price tag on it. Watch the video yourself. There is no question what EA meant by it.

A bunch of red pixel shoes actually cost 9 bucks!?!?!

ETA: oh, sorry, it’s 6 items. Which hardly makes it better.
ETA2: this puts the ‘we make a mobile game so everyone can afford to enter this lovely community’ into an whole new perspective doesn’t it
Field Researcher
#140 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 9:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jo-Anne
A bunch of red pixel shoes actually cost 9 bucks!?!?!

ETA: oh, sorry, it’s 6 items. Which hardly makes it better.
ETA2: this puts the ‘we make a mobile game so everyone can afford to enter this lovely community’ into an whole new perspective doesn’t it

Lovely community which exists due to PC games and modding community.
Scholar
#141 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 10:30 AM
Some of those clothes are cheaper to buy in RL than a digital version...
Field Researcher
#142 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 10:52 AM
You can earn SimCash though? I tested the game during soft launch and after it’s worldwide release, you get SimCash by purchasing it or by completing objectives. Spending money gets you more and is much faster, but like any other F2P game you can generate in-game currency for free if you have the patience.
Forum Resident
#143 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 11:46 AM
Yesterday I searched for videos to see what Sims Mobile looks like and watched that video @cows already linked about the $90 furniture set.

My conclusion is this:
- You play a game with the sims name on it on a tiny screen.
- It's about 5% of the pc version.
- If you pay the amount of a full EP, you get a few items (that you might already own on pc).
- There are goals to complete (so you don't play your sim, sim plays you).
- You can't build or mod.

So now I'm going to run to the store and buy an expensive mobile phone (since I don't have one), because EA just made my dreams come true by washing the Sims on pc through the toilet, for this utter garbage I have always been waiting for.
Field Researcher
#144 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 1:35 PM
I have a very inexpensive mobile, I bought it a few months ago when my previous phone died after having it for about 4 years. I did buy a decent enough custom PC a few years ago, and I'm not really a phone person so I would much rather invest in a decent computer than an expensive phone. I can't afford both. My phone is just basic with a few apps. If I turn the wifi on it drains pretty much immediately. Even if I wanted to play TSM (which I don't) I wouldn't be able to unless I splashed out on a nicer phone. I don't have any games installed on it. The only game related app I do have on it is the TS4 Gallery which I browse through if I'm stuck in a waiting room somewhere.
Mad Poster
#145 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 2:19 PM
Old image but perpetually relevant:

EA is where franchises go to die.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#146 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 2:21 PM
oh.i.cant.wait.to.get.my.new.frame.rolleyes.yawn

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
#147 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 4:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by drake_mccarty
You can earn SimCash though? I tested the game during soft launch and after it’s worldwide release, you get SimCash by purchasing it or by completing objectives. Spending money gets you more and is much faster, but like any other F2P game you can generate in-game currency for free if you have the patience.

Not surprising, but the problem with these mobile games is that they consistently set the prices in such a way that your time becomes more expensive than your money.

Say you earn $15 an hour and this game demands an hour of your day every day for 30 days in order to unlock a $15 item without paying. You now rationalize you would theoretically "save" money just by caving in since it would save you time that might be more valuable spent elsewhere, and thus the slippery slope of payments begin.

Mobile games truly are just a scam. They play into that famous "sense of accomplishment" and try to exploit it to make people pay money. People load up the game, see things they could have if they work for them, and now their gamer sense to strive for a sense of accomplishment is interested. But since the grind is just so god damned ridiculous, most end up compromising and paying for half of their stuff, which is still a victory for EA since wtf most of the stuff has like a 1000% markup.
Instructor
#148 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 4:47 PM
Something of note that I dunno if anyone called attention to yet:

https://www.reddit.com/user/fashionpolice2001

That's the account of the guy claiming to be a former SimGuru on Reddit. The interesting thing that I haven't seen anyone call attention to is that over 9 months ago, he made a post insinuating he used to be a SimGuru, specifically this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/co...scully/dk6bgt3/

Quote:
Maybe a fun fact for you as a fan, in Get to Work, one of the offices in the Science Lab was decorated as a homage to Mulder's office in the show.

People have been rationalizing that of course this could be anyone, so we should be hesitant about trusting their word that they're a SimGuru. However, I find it incredibly unlikely that someone would briefly pretend to be a SimGuru in July of last year, then suddenly pop back up when shit is hitting the fan claiming to understand the inner movements of the company. This would be both elaborate and lucky for a planned con, and the only way it would make sense being a fraud is if this were some person desperate for attention and feeling special or being treated special that just HAPPENED to remember they once tried to fake being a Guru and decided to re-access the account to try and capitalize off the current drama. Occam's Razor this shit: it's far more likely they're telling the truth.

I'm honestly debating messaging the guy at this point to ask more questions, though I worry maybe they don't access the account much since it's a clear alt, possibly to protect their identity.
Test Subject
#149 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 5:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DeservedCriticism
Something of note that I dunno if anyone called attention to yet:

https://www.reddit.com/user/fashionpolice2001

That's the account of the guy claiming to be a former SimGuru on Reddit. The interesting thing that I haven't seen anyone call attention to is that over 9 months ago, he made a post insinuating he used to be a SimGuru, specifically this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/co...scully/dk6bgt3/

People have been rationalizing that of course this could be anyone, so we should be hesitant about trusting their word that they're a SimGuru. However, I find it incredibly unlikely that someone would briefly pretend to be a SimGuru in July of last year, then suddenly pop back up when shit is hitting the fan claiming to understand the inner movements of the company. This would be both elaborate and lucky for a planned con, and the only way it would make sense being a fraud is if this were some person desperate for attention and feeling special or being treated special that just HAPPENED to remember they once tried to fake being a Guru and decided to re-access the account to try and capitalize off the current drama. Occam's Razor this shit: it's far more likely they're telling the truth.

I'm honestly debating messaging the guy at this point to ask more questions, though I worry maybe they don't access the account much since it's a clear alt, possibly to protect their identity.

That reddit thread is interesting, if it's legit. Something seems off though.
Field Researcher
#150 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 6:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DeservedCriticism

I agree with your second statement. I assume that EA employees have to sign non-disclosure agreements and such. There's nothing to lose with asking though, but I think it's telling that this person didn't reply anymore to the reddit thread.
Page 6 of 39