Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 12:46 AM
Default Some questions from a beginner!
I've been thinking about learning how to mesh, since I'd need to do something for my most recent sim-project, Final Fantasy's Sephiroth.

It's pretty massive outfit for a noob to start creating from scratch, but it has been made for TS2, so would it be "easier" to convert it?

I'd like to know how hard or easy meshing and converting is for a beginner.
What are the best tool for creating outfits for TS3, and are there some great tutorials for outfit meshing?

So I'd pretty much like to have some kind of an overall image of what meshing is like, since I know very little about it.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 10:14 AM Last edited by EsmeraldaF : 13th Dec 2009 at 1:41 PM.
Meshing is really, really hard for a beginner - I've been doing it for about 3 months and although I've been able to make a few relatively simple things successfully, I've also had lots of disasters and still find it very difficult to get things to come out right, and I think you'd find it very difficult to make the above outfit! Yes, it would be easier to convert the TS2 version of the outfit (if the creator gives you permission!) but it's still not going to be 'easy'!

You can make a start by looking through the Sims 3 CAS tutorials, here: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...3_CAS_Tutorials . Unfortunately there are no meshing tutorials for TS3 aside from Hysterical Paroxysm's 'Hair Basics' tutorial and Wes Howe's 'Modifying a Body Mesh' (this only consists of making a small modification to a pair of glasses, not actually a body mesh) - I learned to mesh by following both of those and putting what I'd learned from them together. (There is also a link on that page to a meshing tutorial using TSR Workshop, but the link is dead.)

You will also need to purchase a copy of Milkshape, the 3D modelling program, if you want to make or modify meshes: http://chumbalum.swissquake.ch/ms3d/download.html . Look at the 'Hair Basic' tutorial I mentioned above, for links to the plugins you need in order to get Milkshape to recognise Sims 3 meshes (.simgeoms). Luckily Milkshape is very cheap to buy (35 dollars or 25 euros).

There are quite a few Sims 2 clothes meshing tutorials and you could look at those too (http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...shing_Tutorials), but only the parts to do with using Milkshape - the rest of it is completely different.

For texturing a mesh, see all the tutorials under 'CTU Tutorials' on the above-mentioned CAS Tutorials page. There's a lot to learn and it's not newbie friendly, but if you persevere, you'll get there! Good luck!
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 12:46 PM
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know!