Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#26 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 11:24 AM
I've got Tarlia's Downtown now (both versions -- with and without Downtownies), but I'll likely never use it unless and until I have to rebuild Veronaville. From whom arte the Dead Tricous supposed to have inherited their money?

I've just thought, if their really was an inheritance all that time ago, where did that money go? Maybe the Live Tricous (the Downtown pleasure teens) ought to be rich. I know they're all illegitimate, but, in the absence of a legitimate heir, ???? I think I see the makings of a story in there. How about a "fairy godmother" to help reunite them with their rightful fortune?

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 11:47 AM
I use Tarlia's Downtown without townies, so maybe the memories were left over from deleted Tricous.
Scholar
Original Poster
#28 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 3:12 PM
i downloaded the hoodchecker but i dont understand it, it says that hundred of sims has incorrect subject instance and some sims does not exist while other had invalid relationship with themselves. i cant tell whether the hood is corrupted from this. :/ too confusing. Some of it:

Sim Relations:
Invalid relationship with self: 0x0328 Pauline Aspir
Second sim does not exist: 0x0014 Lilith Pleasant has relationship with 0x0093
Invalid relationship with self: 0x0446 Marcus Baldwin
Invalid relationship with self: 0x01BE Chloe Curious-Smith
Invalid relationship with self: 0x03A7 Gabriella Newso

Memories:
Sim does not exist: Lot 0x0024 55 Woodland Drive: [Invisible] Newspaper Delivery Person 0x00F9 is Familiar with Lot
Sim does not exist: Lot 0x0031 195 Main Street: [Invisible] School Bus Driver 0x006D is Familiar with Lot
Sim does not exist: Lot 0x0044 215 Sim Lane: [Invisible] School Bus Driver 0x0130 is Familiar with Lot
Sim does not exist: Lot 0x0050 30 Middle Lane: [Invisible] Newspaper Delivery Person 0x0082 is Familiar with Lot
Incorrect Subject Instance: 0x0019 Dina Caliente: Made Best Friends with 0x00CC Michael Bachelor (Subject Instance=0x00CB)
Incorrect Subject Instance: 0x0019 Dina Caliente: Had Very First Kiss with 0x00CC Michael Bachelor (Subject Instance=0x00CB)

this is Uber-Megahood by HystericalParoxysm im playing btw.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 3:43 PM
If you're not a coder, don't try to understand it - just back up your neighborhood and tell it to Remove invalid references. These happen all the time and accumulate rapidly. It's like grit in the mechanism, and the Hoodchecker is cleaning it.

If you are a coder and you've studied the game code, like Mootilda herself did, the report may give you helpful information about where your problems are originating and how things are going wrong and maybe even why. But most of us just use it as a cleaning wipe.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
Original Poster
#30 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 3:54 PM
yeah im def. not a coder and can only do small changes i Simpe.
i hesitated to let the hoodchecker remove them because on the download page the user said it can destroy the hood so i got a bit confused. ^^;;
Mad Poster
#31 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 4:26 PM
That's why you back up the neighborhood before removing anything.

Mootilda was vividly aware that, without the source code, she was working in dim illumination at best, and that any time a major change is made, unintended consequences could result. So - back up before you do anything that implements a major change, or what might be a major change, to a hood. I don't know of anyone who's had a problem after running the hood checker, and I know that many of us are keeping our games running much longer than they otherwise would keep going, with Hoodchecker as part of our game hygiene routine.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#32 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 3:27 AM
What is the source code and why can't we get access to it? All the code is in the game, isn't it?
Instructor
#33 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 10:53 AM Last edited by fruitsymphony : 25th Oct 2014 at 4:21 PM.
Apparently the modders can read the object files but can not read the .exe.
The exe is the executable file, which is the game engine.
When programmers make the exe file they first write source code, then they compile it.
That is how the machine can run it. But after compiling humans can not read it anymore.
If you open the exe.file with an editor you would just see lots of strange characters.

Elephant! Handcuffs! Naughty! Tee hee!
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 3:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fruitsymphony
Apparently the modders can read the object files but can not read the .exe.
The exe it the executable file, which is the game engine.
When programmers make the exe file they first write source code, then they compile it.
That is how the machine can run it. But after compiling humans can not read it anymore.
If you open the exe.file with an editor you would just see lots of strange characters.

So that explains where "open source" got its name!
Mad Poster
#35 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 5:15 PM
Yes. Basically the source code is the part that the owner particularly wants/needs to protect, the core part that makes the game unique. All the significant AI will be in there, for example. If EA ever released the source code, they'd be essentially releasing their ownership of the game - and that's not happening.

Mad Poster
#36 Old 27th Oct 2014 at 1:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
What is the source code and why can't we get access to it? All the code is in the game, isn't it?
To grasp the difference Source Code and executable code, I suggest downloading the source code for mootilda's HoodChecker (which I know you use). Like most programmers mootilda wrote in a high level programming language (in her case C#). (I hate the fact that I now have write of mootilda in the past tense; her death is such a loss to this community. ) Open the zip file and extract the PrimaryForm.cs file. Open it with Notepad. The start of the file will look something like this:

This file contains the source code for the main window of the HoodChecker program. You won't understand it unless you have learned something of the C# language, but it should be clear that it makes some sense. Someone who does understand the C# programming language should be able read this source code and work out from it how the HoodChecker works. To actually create the HoodChecker program, mootilda would run this source code file (and the other source code files) through a special program called a compiler. The output from the compiler is the HoodChecker.exe file that we run when we start the HoodChecker. If you try to open HoodChecker.exe with Notepad, you will see some recognisable strings of characters, but a lot of it will be unintelligible. This is because the core part of the program is a binary sequence: that is a series of 1s and 0s that make sense to your computer's processor, but not to us humans. The gibberish that you see in Notepad is Notepad (wrongly) trying to interpret this binary code as if it was text. I have simplified the process a bit (and I don't actually know C# myself) but broadly that's how it works.

The process of the Maxis programmers writing the executable programs for The Sims 2 will have been broadly similar, although made more complicated by that the fact that a large team of programmers was involved, and the final product was of course much bigger and more complex. In the case of HoodChecker, mootilda has given us both the source code and the executable code. But for the the Sims 2 games we only have the executable code (the .exe files). EA/Maxis have kept the source code to themselves (as is normal in commercial software development). Without the source code it is much harder for even the most expert computing professionals (as mootilda undoubtedly was) to understand how the program is meant to work.

I hope this long post helps a little!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Page 2 of 2