Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2017 at 9:38 AM
Default Sims and "middle names"
I've been curious for a while if anyone tries to do anything like "middle names" when naming their sims. Obviously, there isn't a middle name slot, so double names like "Sarah Jane" or hyphenated names like "Billy-Joe" tend to lend themselves to ts2 more readily than traditional "middle" names. I know some premades have middle initials...or at least one does: Francis J.

Do any of your sims have middle initials, double names, or hyphenated given names?

I have a sim in my Frontier hood named Lydia Rose Traverse. I refer to her as "Lydia Rose," not just "Lydia," so she has a double given name, not a middle name in the traditional sense.

I've been pondering this topic for a while, because I love middle names in real life. I wish more fictional characters had them, because I think it's far more common to have middle names irl but it's far more common for fictional characters not to have middle names, and the inconsistency with reality just kinda irks me there. But they don't really work in ts2...or most games, for that matter!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2017 at 10:40 AM
I have done a bit of middle/second names, in my big hood. Sometimes I just wasn't certain if I had used a name already; so I have Sims, using the mother's maiden name, like George Taylor Dell and Sandra Lee Stewart. (George Taylor has a grandson now named Taylor Dell Woods.

It is not really something I thought of as using middle or second names, more of a way to make sure I don't use the same name multiple times (I do have two sets of twins named Kevin and Kelly The one Kevin is a girl due to me tending to get confused when naming sets of twins) - I decided that she can remain Kevin in the end). Yet now that you posted about it, it actually seems like something I should use a lot more!
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2017 at 10:50 AM
Yeah, I've used mothers' surnames as middle names. I have also used generic names such as Sky or River to indicate kids that are illegitimate or that need to change their surname at marriage (eg the son of a married woman who shouldn't really have her husband's surname). That started when the divorcee of a Landgraab had twins to another (married) Sim and the kids were not permitted to keep the Landgraab name so I used the middle name to remind me they had to change it. At other times I've used normal middle names but not often.
Test Subject
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2017 at 12:17 PM
My Sims have "inofficial" middle names, that I usually stick in either their bio, or my spreadsheet over Sims in a neighborhood. Especially Sims with familial roots in nobility tend to have several of their ancestors' names strung together, aside from their first name (which is the only name assigned to them in-game).

I treat maiden names in a similar manner, unless the Sim in question keeps their maiden name in marriage (which is fairly common in my game). I like the continuity in keeping track of titles, middle names and maiden names outside of the game, while keeping the names in-game short and sweet. I'd imagine that nine year old Zoe von Loviatar appreciates being spared the hassle of introducing herself as Lady Zoe Clarissa von Loviatar of House Morsov.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 23rd Jul 2017 at 1:27 PM
I've been a mulling a similar topic. Sometimes I want my sims to have a full name and sometimes a nickname, but I still want the sim world to recognize the full one. I KNOW it doesn't make a hill of beans difference, but it does to me.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Theorist
#6 Old 23rd Jul 2017 at 2:31 PM
I will sometimes hyphenate the last name for a married female, so that she can keep her last name and take on her husband's name as well. Middle names are only given if I think it flows well (e.g. Mary Beth), or if the sim is from a wealthy family that has been around for many generations (old money). Back when I played the premades, I would always give a middle name to any children born to a Landgraab, or Goth.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Scholar
#7 Old 23rd Jul 2017 at 2:43 PM
I had a Roman neighbourhood in which all Sims had two given names, showing both maternal and paternal lineage. The only problem with that was that sometimes both names would be long, and I ran out of room in the name box! I've had a couple of other Sims with double first names: there was a Della Rose whose mother was Florence Delarosa.

My Tricous all have Tricou as a middle name. In Sheffield, the one who can first afford the House of Fallen Trees will take Tricou as a surname, at which point the other lineages will stop using the name; in the Victorian hood, they're a Family in the mob sense.

Some Sims will have their actual name effectively as a second given name, because their "first name" is a title -- Lady Caroline Kensington, for instance -- and some get a nickname, like Stinky Ron Tinker.

Most Sims, though, just make do with the standard first and last name.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 23rd Jul 2017 at 3:48 PM
Because I use heirloom names, I occasionally will end up with a double-named child. My rule is if the grandparents are alive on another lot, the child will take their name as a first or middle name. If one of the grandparents name was sandwich, the child might be Meatball Sandwich or something like that. It's rarely that entertaining, though.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Inventor
#9 Old 23rd Jul 2017 at 5:38 PM
My only custom made Sim with a middle name is my elderly oriental Chin Sung Lee. At first, his last name started off with 'Sung' so it was 'Sung Lee', then I updated 'Sung' to appear after 'Chin' as half of his first name instead. The latter change seems better this way.
Link Ninja
#10 Old 23rd Jul 2017 at 5:55 PM
For years I just put a middle name into their little bio boxes for flavor. The only times I put a middle name in with the first name is because I already had a sim with that first name and want to differentiate the sims.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 23rd Jul 2017 at 8:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
I've been a mulling a similar topic. Sometimes I want my sims to have a full name and sometimes a nickname, but I still want the sim world to recognize the full one. I KNOW it doesn't make a hill of beans difference, but it does to me.

I feel the same way! I think, for me, the ideal would be several separate boxes, some of which could be left blank: title (Sir, Lady, etc), first name, middle name(s), nickname, surname, and an additional box for "Jr" or "III" or whatnot.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 23rd Jul 2017 at 10:22 PM
I have thought the same thing SO many times!

Mad Poster
#13 Old 23rd Jul 2017 at 10:43 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 25th Jul 2017 at 1:06 AM.
Mostly I'll not give them middle names, but I have a few sims with either double first names or double surnames. I'll usually put the middle name in with the first name. I'll usually choose names that flow well together.

One of my story characters took his wife's last name, and kept his own as a middle name. They did the same for the kids (his surname as a middle name), but most of them tend to use their mother's surname.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#14 Old 23rd Jul 2017 at 11:20 PM
In my neighborhood the Mayor who is married left his DNA way across town with another female Sims. ( SAY WHAT ! ) So she had his child, I made sure that the boy middle name was the mayor last name.
After all it is not the child fault that his biological father the mayor is a player. I wanted the child to have some kind of relationship to his father so the middle name tell the whole Sims town that " Yes the mayor is my father."

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Alchemist
#15 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 12:42 AM
there is another pre-made playable that sort of has a middle name; Mary-Sue.
some pre-made professor has a middle initial within the respective Program Files file; I do not remember which one.

in past times playing, I had Mary-Sue's parents adopt a son; renamed him Mark-Stu each time.
that was the only "middle" name I done.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 12:45 AM
Shouldn't it be Marty Stu instead?

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Alchemist
#17 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 12:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
Shouldn't it be Marty Stu instead?
wanted his name to have a similar format as his sister.

by the way, why "Marty"?
Instructor
#18 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 12:57 AM
Because a Marty-Stu is the male version of a Mary-Sue. It can also be Gary-Stu. In the genderswapped uberhood, that is the name he has.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 1:18 AM
Marty-Stu's the variant I've always heard; Gary's new to me. It does rhyme but isn't alliterative with Mary Sue.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 6:25 AM
Gary-Stu is the one I'm more familiar with. I've also heard Larry-Stu.
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 6:33 AM
Gary and Mary don't rhyme where I'm from. I'd be tempted to put Beef-Stu or something equally ridiculous, but that's just me (from someone who named Brokes Storm, Dawn, Tad, Chip, and Stone).
Mad Poster
#22 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 9:12 AM
Not knowing that Mary-Sue had a male version, and not knowing which one is correct, I vote Beef-Stu. Or perhaps Curry-Stew
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 6:35 AM
Curry-Stew makes me think of Curly Sue...
Mad Poster
#25 Old 29th Jul 2017 at 6:11 AM
I would love to use middle names, or last name such as..Mc Williams etc...
But that does not work with familyFunds cheat, so no, I don't use middle names.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Page 1 of 2