Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 3:33 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Is there a way to...?
I made a very big mistake when I started collecting custom content for sims 2. I didn't organize or rename anything so I don't know what the majority of my 8GB of files are. Is there a way to view the file size of items during CAS? I believe there was a way to view the file name but not size... I really don't know how else to cut down on my content when I have no idea what the largest files are.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 4:22 AM
Are any of the files named? Did any come already in a folder? You could put those aside. You can look at CC in Clean Installer, SimPE or one of the other programs such as Wardrobe Wrangler. Another way is to put cc that you like on on a sim and package it and check in Clean Installer, it should at least say things such as hair mesh, blush, clothing etc.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 5:32 AM
Some are in folders and luckily, some are named! But the vast majority are just letters/numbers. I spent forever deleting content from CAS and Build/Buy mode only to find that for some reason, it didn't actually delete the content! The files were still in my download folder when I exited the game so I wasted god knows how many hours doing it manually. I fear I'll have to restart completely. I was hoping to cut down on my files for faster loading times/less clutter but I'm horrified of deleting files that are nearly impossible to find again.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 7:02 AM
I know something about the files is visible when you use CAS in Debug mode, but I don't know if it's the actual file name or a description.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 11:14 AM
If you're on Windows 10, you can right-click inside your Downloads folder and go Arrange by -> Name, then click the Size column to sort all the files in all the subfolders by filesize. Then just open up the biggest files in whatever program you prefer (I use SimPE, but you could use Clean Installer or Wardrobe Wrangler or whatever), and see if they're things you use enough to be worth the space they take up.

If you've been deleting stuff in-game, then you'll also want to use DDO to get rid of any orphans (orphans are files where you've deleted the mesh but not the recolours, or vice versa).

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 11:38 AM
Once deleted in game that should also delete them from your folder. Although if you know where the content was in your download folder it would be easier to simply pull it from there. Objects with recolours needs each recolour to be deleted in game first before the main object. You use the swatch tool to change the recolours and delete it game.

Perhaps starting from scratch with just keeping what you know might be best? Unless the content is fairly new CC improved greatly from about 2009 on because of better graphics.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 4:28 PM
When I organized my 30-ish GB folder, I used the filename tooltip tool (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=321239) to figure out what's what, along with looking at the files in Bodyshop. It renames all the files to have the filename as a tooltip. This worked quite well for me. The tool should skip over anything that is not a CAS recolor, and you'll see which files have been changed by looking at the "Date changed" column in folder view.

I did use copies of the files for the locating part (I wanted to keep the original date stamp where I could), but that's not necessary.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 7:55 PM
I will definitely use Sim PE to help me delete the larger files! This may sound really stupid but what is the swatch tool? And I'm really tempted to start out from scratch! I just know I'll lose most of my items I've collected over the years since most sites are dead. But I can live without it!

On another note, sometimes my furniture 'explodes' and results with a heap on the ground. I'm guessing this is because of a conflicting mod since I receive an error message right before it happens.

QUESTION: Can you view objects with Sim PE? Since I'm assuming some of these files are objects and not clothing/hair
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 8:07 PM
Yes, you can view anything with SimPE - that's why I use it!

The furniture exploding sounds like something is triggering the "destroyed by pet scratching" process which, yes, would be a CC problem.

The swatch tool is the tool you use in buy mode to recolour an object you've already bought; looks like a little cloth swatch, accessed by pressing the button or hitting R.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 10:26 PM
If you have objects that you must have simply place them on a lot and package the lot. Occasionally some items may not go with, but generally they will.

~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#11 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 10:47 PM
some other programs that work similar to Clean Installer::
-this site's Download Organizer
-main site's Content Manager (accessible through Wayback Machine site).

about SimPE; make sure content's file is not opened before moving/deleting it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 10:57 PM
Thank you all so much! And I didn't know you could recolor an object in game! I can't believe I've been playing sims for so long and am still learning new things about sims 2. T-T <3

Looks like I'll probably have to start over regardless to fix the issue with the furniture. I'm tired of fixing a perfect house only to find my couch is gone later xD
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 11:18 PM
As I said don't forget you can package items on a lot for safe keeping.

You need CEP for recolours of Maxis items to show as well as to fix a few things EA broke.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#14 Old 5th Oct 2017 at 4:51 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 5th Oct 2017 at 5:05 PM.
You can view most things in SimPE by clicking the right resources:

Objects: 3D view under the GMDC (click the "preview" button). If the object is grey in this view it's usually repositoried/slaved.
CAS meshes: GMDC, click "preview" button. Shows up grey because meshes don't have textures.
Object and CAS recolors: Look at the texture under TXTR, or view the recolors ingame.
You can also look at the "Catalog Description" for object meshes, and "[Text lists]" for CAS recolors, at least if the creator included a description.

Files with strings of letters and numbers are usually a remnant from having used the default installer for houses and sims. I (and the rest of the community) recommend using the "Sims 2 Clean Installer", since it won't give you the same problem - except if said files have hitched a ride with a house or sim you've downloaded.

It's always a good idea to delete files from your Downloads folder, instead of from ingame. Sometimes when deleting ingame the files don't delete properly, and other times you'll risk deleting either meshes you want to keep, skip over recolors you don't want to keep (if deleting meshes), or even deleting ingame content (if deleting default replacements or other things with the delete button accidentally enabled). You also can't regret the deletion, whereas if you delete from the Downlads folder the files usually end up in the trash bin.

mdsb759, SimPE (and Windows) won't allow deleting or moving a file if it's currently in use or opened (by the game or by SimPE). You have to either open a different file or close down the program using the file before it can be deleted/moved. SimPE also won't allow changing files in your Downloads folder if the game or Bodyshop are open, but you can copy the file and edit the copy, replacing it later. You can have SimPE and TS2 OR Bodyshop open at the same time, if SimPE is opened first - but it may slow down the system, so be careful.