Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 2:23 PM
Default Hidden springs mansion
I am planning on doing a black widow challenge in Hidden springs and I need a big house to fit her in so I started the shell of an house but I don't know how doing the inside. I also plan to use the house for my legacy family. And I would like help with landscape ideas, color scheme and a name for the house.
I have Generation, Pets and Supernatural as EP's and all worlds of the store except roaring heights and lunar lakes.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 3:20 PM
This looks like a very promising start to me! I really like the current outside colour scheme. One little change to the outside that I'd suggest is to move those columns on the front porch more into the corners.

no power in the verse can stop me
ge smak daun, gyon op nodotaim
jus nou drein jus daun
Instructor
#3 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 3:54 PM
In regards to the inside, I don't really have much styling-input as I don't stick well to certain styles. But I do find, especially with larger builds, that it helps me to think about a) the number and ages of sims to live there and b) which skills I want them to be able to practice in their home. Are they outgoing and flirty,I obviously need an area with a bar and a pool/jacuzzi. If they're shy and secluded, I want a massive library and a computer room to keep entertained, etc.. Hope that at least made some kind of sense. I like the exterior, agree with Gingerxyz's comment about the columns.
Scholar
#4 Old 15th Dec 2015 at 3:46 AM
I don't know about the bottom level but I'd probably put bathrooms in the middle top and bottom of the second level and then divide the rest of the area into bedrooms - maybe a larger bedroom in the upper right and lower left corners with the remainder of the spaced divided into two bedrooms on each side for a total of 6 bedrooms. Or, make one or two areas a nursery and playroom. And/or take an area for an en suite bathroom for one of the master / larger bedrooms. Great start!
Field Researcher
#5 Old 15th Dec 2015 at 3:49 AM
Instead of columns, I think it may look better to put one wall all the way around like a column, if that makes sense. Or bigger columns. They look really small under there in my opinion. For the inside, I'd section it off with walls. Perhaps each corner its own room, to make four rooms. On the inside part, you could add a bathroom. The upstairs, you'd probably want smaller rooms for he bedrooms.
Instructor
#6 Old 15th Dec 2015 at 10:02 AM
The columns look too weak to support that whole roof. Exterior and current colour scheme is quite nice actually You might want a side wing expansion which is actually connected to the rest of the building, as the current structure looks too symmetrical. Basic symmetry, at least to my mind, should be present in most classic builds, but a side wing here and there add twists and flavours. Promising start!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Dec 2015 at 1:40 PM
First of all, thank you to all who have answered and gave me help.
I changed the columns to bigger ones and place them in the corners of the porches, I also started the landscape with a few flowers and bushes on the front of the house.
I furnished the two entrance and build and furnished two bathrooms on either sides of the stairs.
And last of the changes I made on the house: I rebuilt the sides of the house like the third picture and I think it will be easier to build rooms this way.
I forgot to say that the lot is a 40 by 40.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 16th Dec 2015 at 3:24 AM
Hi Allie
This is a great start. I love the shape of your house. I think the new columns look good. I agree with Tigerdyhr that it is best to think about how many sims will live here, and what kind of activities you want to provide for them. Look at some other builders floor plans to help inspire you. Your bathrooms are really large, 16 tiles, I think. Perhaps make them smaller, or add some function to them. For instance, if you swap one sink with the toilet, then replace the other sink with a shower, you can have the double sinks where the toilet is now, and there will be less blank space. I would love to see some updates as you progress.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Instructor
#9 Old 16th Dec 2015 at 9:25 AM
I won't prefer the utterly symmetrical layout of your first floor. You have shown really really good CASt which many people can't do. You might want to do a seating room which many mansions should have for one room. You will also won't want perfectly symmetrical room layout. Exterior symmetry is great but it should be modified when it comes to the interior. I'll suggest removing one bathroom since it'll be more fair to place one on each floor at least, rather than agglomerate them on one floor, especially given that they are so close together. The bathroom can be joined to one of the living rooms to create a large room for seating, possibly with fireplace and chairs in front in a corner (maybe the space provided from the removal of one bathroom), and a seating area with TV in the room. Sometimes mansions really have too much stuff. Like seating everywhere or bookcase everywhere. But they do help taking up space, and well, make the place seem more grand.

Great job!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th Dec 2015 at 3:13 PM
Hello everyone,

I did a few things on the house wich are:
- Removed one of the bathroom
-Furnished the kitchen
-Built and furnished the study

Next things on the list are the nursery, dining room and living room and after that the first floor will be over. The dining room will be maybe a bit too large so maybe cut it in two and make a reading room on the right of the kitchen.
The kitchen is open for now but I still don't know if it will be better if I close it: any advices on this one?
Screenshots
Instructor
#11 Old 17th Dec 2015 at 8:40 AM
It's a grand mansion so the kitchen's supposed to be larger?
And do excuse me, but have you placed a stove?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Dec 2015 at 4:54 PM
I didn't do a lot of work on the mansion except for the floorplan that is nearly complete (maybe a few changes will be make) and the kitchen that is now a bit bigger. To answer the question about the stove: yes there is one, it wasn't visible on the last picture but it's the white thing between the two counters in the centre of the kitchen.
For the floor plan on the:
upper right corner will be the nursery
upper left corner will be the reading room
lower right corner will be the living room
and the dining room is where the open kitchen is
Screenshots
Instructor
#13 Old 18th Dec 2015 at 7:43 AM
I don't have any floorplan advise, but regarding the styling, I think perhaps the patterns in the kitchen and study are just a tad too repetitive. I personally don't mind a restricted colour palette, but I think perhaps you should break some of the patterns while keeping the colors. Like, in the study you have the squares on the floor, so maybe keep the colours but use the wallpaper with vertical lines instead? In the kitchen, small changes like perhaps making the rug and seats a solid red and using a striped curtain would also help break it up and make it less busy.

Looking forward to seeing the progress
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 20th Dec 2015 at 6:43 AM
I did a quick building session and here what i've done.
Changed the kitchen still not sure about the floor but I will test a few things soon.
Add a balcony at the back of the house.
And did the nursery.

I am progressing bit by bit on the living and dining room and there will be pictures soon.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 3rd Jan 2016 at 10:37 PM
Just wanted to say that it looks awesome and I can't wait to download it when you're done! (Shoutout to the extra wing suggestion but if you don't add one I'll just build one myself ;-)

Everything is ok in the end. If it's not ok, then it's not the end.