Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 6:07 PM Last edited by lanawinst : 16th May 2010 at 8:25 PM.
Default Buildings work thread
In this thread, we will organize the building program and discuss about our respective work.

Rules:
Base-game, WA and free store content is allowed. CC can exceptionally be allowed (Free stuff only!) and we will try to use the cc already used by others to try to restrict it to a minimum.
We will have to credit and link to the cc used, so, I will need you to keep track WHILE you're building (and avoid the: shoot! what cc did I used back then and the frenetic wild search that goes after that thought) and tell me about it so that I can establish a clear list of the cc.

Here is the list of the buildings we will have to build:

Rabbit holes:
-Bistrot/pizzeria:
-Bookstore: Deluxe Designs
-Business and journalism center: CharmingFirewaller [25x20]
-City hall: lanawinst [20x25]
-Criminal hideout.
-Day Spa: Deluxe Designs
-Diner: CharmingFirewaller [40x30]
-Grocery: lanawinst
-Hospital.
-Church and cemetery mausoleum. Deluxe Designs
-Military Base.
-Movie Theater. Deluxe Designs
-Police station: toyou1214
-School: lanawinst [25x20]
-Science center.
-Stadium: lanawinst [25x20]

Community lots:
-Library & Coffee shop: lanawinst [20x25]
-Museum/art gallery: sleepyrose [30x20]
-Parks:
disused park toyou1214
Main park
-Secondary plaza: Deluxe Designs
-Swimming pool/gym: sleepyrose
-Antiques shop: Deluxe Designs
-Lilith death location.
-Nectary: SimGirlTasia232 [20x20].
-Windmill: toyou1214
-CHA (Charitable Housewives Association).
-Gypsy camp: lanawinst
-Beach front.

Residential lots:
- Owner of a fish trading company mansion: Deluxe Designs [30x40]
- Antonio Ortega fishing shack: sleepyrose [10x20]
- Mancini family's house : SimGirlTasia232 [25x12] ?
- Costa family's house : SimGirlTasia232 [25x12] ?
- Roomies' house: sleepyrose [25x12]
- Vargas family's house Lanawinst
- Revello family's house Lanawinst
- Miramar family's house Lanawinst
- Carlos Mendez's house
- De Luca family's house
- Ricci family's house
- Herberto Castillo's house
- David Sharp's house
- Yazmin Vasquez's house
- Starter n.1 sleepyrose [10x20]
- Starter n.2 Lanawinst [25x12]
- Starter n.3
- Starter n.4
- Starter n.5
- Player house n.1
- Player house n.2
- Player house n.3
- Player house n.4
- Player house n.5

CC list:
- Tower-clock - Around the sims 3 (http://www.aroundthesims3.com/objec...wntown_01.shtml)
- Fish and vegetable stands by SimsTrastos (http://www.simstrastos.com/obescena/sceneuna.htm)
- Statue Of Cupid In Flight (from the Happy Valentines Set)
- Iconic Clown By Angelo (From The Sims Celebrations: In the Dawn of Sims)
- Golden Woman of Prosperity (From The Sims Celebrations: In the Dawn of Sims)
- Beautiful Forest By Pigula Photography (From The Sims Celebrations: Let there be Sims!)

Shared content and pattern list:
Fences:
*stream of consciousness wall beige
*outdoor sim stopper
*fearless fencing (reco)
*wrought iron fence (reco)
*fairytale fence (reco)
*Gothic graveyard fence&gate (reco)
*Pharaoh fance (reco)
stairs:
*justastair
*pyramid
sidewalks:
*stretcher bond brick floor
*cobblestones in an arc, red

to be completed/changed

I'm adding the pictures we can use to get inspired by:

I'll keep the post updated.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#2 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 7:59 PM
I wanted to wait to be sure that we would use the fish town theme but I was in a creative mood so here is my first building made for our group project:

I tried to create a building characterizing all we said we wanted on our town. Colorful buildings (coffee shop) next to older buildings (library). I also added the water to emphasize on one of the 2 main theme of out town: water and nature.

The main picture

The library back-garden

The coffee shop (I discovered happily that sims took their coffee outside):

The library (2nd floor with the computer room and the child room)

The library(1st floor entry and main reading room):

I know that the statue look misplaced but it doesn't look like that in-game. Keep in mind that it's not finished (sorry about the poor quality pictures, but I'll probably change a lot of things) and that it may be tossed if we change our theme. Give me your opinion and don't be afraid to criticize, I can take it as long as it's constructive.
#3 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 8:25 PM
I like what you've done so far, Lana. The library looks nice and cozy and the coffee shop next to it seems like a good place for the locals to hang out at. I actually had doubts about what century the town would be set in but now that I see you've added computers I'm assuming it's set in the present.

I like the gothic theme of the computer room and I honestly don't think that the staue is out of place, but the play table in the kids area does seem to stick out. Can we see the rest?

And oh, I was wondering if I could build a bar & grill type place in town. I've been wanting to begin but I'll wait a while longer until we decide on a theme.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 9:14 PM
Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

About the kids table, I know, I wish we had something else for the kids, not in the sim store but actually within the game. I'll try to see if can manage to make it look better. I decided also that I have to change my entry and the kid toybox. Here are other pictures of it:

And the plan:

I know it's hard not knowing if it's gonna be our theme and having to wait. I haven't asked anyone to start sims or houses for that precise reason. I decided to do it because I'm going to keep this building for myself anyway, even if it's not in our project, so...
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 9:43 PM
Alright, considering that the town is European village theme we don't want any huge buildings. So anyone building for this town should make sure they have the rabbithole rugs for ts3 found in the link below.

http://www.customsims3.com/smf/inde...pic,1931.0.html

#6 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 10:20 PM
Thanks for giving us a tour of your buildings, Lana. I really like the texture of the coffee shop's exterior and it's nice seeing sims hang out and have coffee outside. Seeing some of the objects you've used makes me want to get WA...lol. I think the toy box blends in well and you could even use the toy chest as an alternative since it's already made of wood. And you're right about the play table. We're just gonna have to make do with what we've got. I also like the balconies with potted plants, kinda like buildings in New Orleans.

So Beaver, since you're creating the map, what would the lot size limit be? I just want to make sure I don't exceed it cause I'll be building in Riverview once Lana gives us the go-ahead.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 11:06 PM
Well, considering the map will be medium-small, I think the lot limit should be 35-40 for commercial, and 25-30 for residential. Is that reasonable?
#8 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 11:25 PM
Yeah, I think that'd be good. It's supposed to be an intimate setting anyway, so small lots getting all snuggly together would be the way to go.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 11:56 PM
Beaversyeah, thanks for the link. The lot limits could even be smaller: 30-30 for commercial, and 20x30 for residential because the houses were generally very narrow and high. For example, my library is 25x25 I think. The only exceptions would be the beach that would require a really long lot.

CharmingFirewaller, I'm glad you like it Good suggestion for the chest, i'll check what i can do. If you see anything else don't hesitate to tell me. When we'll be sure of the theme I'll post the building itself so that everyone could test it.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 23rd Feb 2010 at 12:13 AM
Yeah that would be best. 30 by 30 and 20 by 30 sounds good.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 23rd Feb 2010 at 12:19 AM
What about EP's? Should we create a base game only town, or go with tombs in the witch hut and cemetary? I'm pretty sure people have WA already, it's been out for a while.
#12 Old 23rd Feb 2010 at 12:30 AM
I think WA features are expected since Lana herself uses items from the EP. I on the other hand will only be building with base game conent since I don't have the EP yet. Will that be alright?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 23rd Feb 2010 at 12:50 AM
We're definitely using WA because the hidden door and such could be really useful to hide things for the players, make some treasure hunt and make the world even more enjoyable. But we will not need WA content for every lot, so you should be fine
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 23rd Feb 2010 at 3:00 AM
That looks so gorgeous Lana, If I'm ever in a building mood I'll be sure to help. But I'm more of a decorator myself though hehe. But also, shouldn't we have some of those few residential lots that are very posh and big? Like the 30x30, 40x40, or 30x40. We don't need many of those big lots, but I'm sure some big mansion houses would look great. (=
#15 Old 23rd Feb 2010 at 11:01 AM
I agree, a few big lots would be good for the wealthier families. Have we decided on a theme yet? I'm really looking forward to building something for the town.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#16 Old 23rd Feb 2010 at 12:48 PM Last edited by lanawinst : 23rd Feb 2010 at 8:11 PM.
I'm sorry Charming, I'm still waiting for kiwi-tea. He still hasn't answered my pm. He would be such an asset for this project (his world was wonderful) that I'm willing to wait a little bit more. I know how irl can be.

For the bigger buildings, well, mansions and such should be kept to a minimum because of many realistic reasons: a fish-town doesn't usually have a lot of rich people and mountains is not the easiest landscape to build large mansions,... so there is going to be a few yes, but it would be even better to have an history to explain why (like a fort?).

Edit: Charming if you want to begin building you can. Even if we change a little bit the theme it's still going to be an european fish-town.
#17 Old 23rd Feb 2010 at 9:48 PM
Thanks Lana, I'll get started on the bar and grill that I mentioned in another thread. It's up to you all if you'd like to use it for the town but I'll give you a preview anyway, once I'm done.

The mansion could belong to the owner of a fish trading company (also mentioned in another thread) who happens to be one of the richest sims in town.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#18 Old 23rd Feb 2010 at 11:01 PM
Is your bar-grill only be a bar or is it going to be a fish restaurant too? I was thinking that since we can customize our rabbit holes, wouldn't it be nice to have a fish restaurant by the seaside to replace hogan and a pizzeria to replace the Little corsican bistrot?

I agree with you on the mansion story. DD told me that he would like to do a mansion so he could build it, if you don't mind. Or another one. We will surely be able to find 2 stories for mansions.

I reworked on my library since I wasn't fond of the result and here is the result for now:
The new entry

kids room:

computer room:

front:

back:

If you see anything else to change, feel free to tell me!
#19 Old 23rd Feb 2010 at 11:43 PM
I agree, it would be good for us to make use of the custom rabbit holes at our disposal. Which do you think would be good for the Swordfish Bar & Grill, the Bistro or the Diner?

And tell DD to go ahead. I wasn't planning on building the mansion myself, I just came up with the character that could possibly live in it.

I really love the entrance of your library. The statue is definitely in the right place and the computer room looks much better now with less saturated colors. The play tables too. I also think it's great that the play area has a pirate chest--cause it goes with our fish town theme.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#20 Old 23rd Feb 2010 at 11:53 PM
I'm glad you like the changes Pirates indeed! We could even have an old pirate treasure, the village definitely had pirates in the old times.

I'm definitely going for the hogan diner for the sword-fish bar and grill. Fish is cheap when you can fish it and don't have to buy it far away and a pizzeria sound more sophisticated so the bistro would be fine, I guess. Will you build it on the seaside?
#21 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 12:13 AM
Oh yeah, we should totally have pirate treasure buried somewhere in town. Aarrr!

So we're using Hogan's for the Swordfish Bar & Grill and the Bistro as a different restaurant? I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused. Which one should I build on the seaside? I'm fine either way so it's cool.

And oh, since I can't load custom worlds, is it alright if I use an empty version of Sunset Valley to build these lots? And once I'm done you can place it in the world Beaver and Kiwi are working on.

Or would that be too much trouble?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#22 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 12:25 AM
Sorry for being confusing. I'm seeing the bistro/pizzeria in the center of the town on one side of the main plaza and the swordfish bar-grill/hogan near the seaside. It could be directly on the beach (kind of like my bar) with some kind of fishing pond or on the lots getting to the sea with only some beach in it.

You can't use no custom world at all? poor dear Don't worry it's going to be fine building in SV. I'm currently building in Riverview so... What about the recurve area? Or one of the seaside lots?
#23 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 12:37 AM
No worries, I misunderstood but it's all good now. And yeah, I would like the the Swordfish to be by the sea as well. Thanks for letting me build in Sunset Valley. I'll probably use one of the smaller seaside lots but since it's gonna be on the beach, is it alright if I leave out the pond?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#24 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 12:44 AM
Of course! It's your lot, you can build it as you feel it. I was just giving an example.
#25 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 12:42 AM
Thanks, I'm gonna go get started right now and I'll post screenshots soon.

Page 1 of 51