Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 10:04 PM
Default Moonlight mansion
Hi,
I am working on a house for Gittevdv. The house is located in Midnight hollows and it is using all kinds of objects from this world + OMSP. There is no other CC

Here is a floorplan of the house. I am not sure what to do with some of the rooms and areas. I marked these places with question mark (?) and I would really appreciate ideas for these.

This is the current state of the house:

And here are the finished rooms:

@gittevdv:
I placed the "moon cycles" thing in the foyer
About the bloody cellar:
I tried to see If I can do something without CC and this is what I came up with:

Is it okay or should I use some CC? (this is not a final state of the cellar...just testing)

Visit my Tumblr for more creations http://crowkeeperthesimmer.tumblr.com :)
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 2:22 AM
First of all, I love it. Now for suggestions... hm..

For the ? on the grounds, its elevated so maybe a pavilion and pool? That way it almost seems like the ground was built up to support its weight.

Regarding the bedrooms on the first floor, they seem utterly massive? Maybe they could both be split in half? That would provide more function for those halls too. As for the ?s on that level, maybe dressing rooms / single bedrooms? Also you have two huge bathrooms there, maybe one could be another living area/study?

Noob question: what's OMSP?

Well that's what happens when you're on your own and you're alright at letting nice things go
Instructor
#3 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 4:57 AM
I was thinking about a labyrinth / hedge maze for the (?) on the grounds, with rotten trees and shrubs.
@sccopy_loopy OMSP is this: http://modthesims.info/d/428179
Basiscally an object can have almost anything placed on top of it, and the supporter OMSP can be raised to any height desired, raising the object above the OMSP to its same height as well. Read the page for more details, OMSP is almost essential in my builds.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 8:17 AM
OMG OMG OMG It's perfect!

(For the cellar you can use cc by the way)

For the big question mark on the ground...Maybe a pond? Just a pond? Ohw, I just read it, simsmatthew, a labyrint is a good idea!

And next to the wine cellar, a wine-make thing?

Everything I really, really want is already in it, so...
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 9:57 AM
Ok. First thing that's on my mind... Have you thought about placing some ponds around the house, or on that platform (labyrint with pond in it is a nice idea).

What's also on my mind is if you could make some step-on switch system to unlock/lock, hide/unhide stairs, basements and cellars .
This can be done with 4 step-on switches (or with those wall or ground holes), and each of the switches should reset the rest of the switches. Two of them hide the stairs, two of them unhide the stairs. Two of them are placed outside the cellar, two of them are in the cellar. That would make for even more sense of mystery and darkness (I got such sense because of that blood-room).

And also, this:
Instructor
#6 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 12:10 PM
*Am frantically *again* looking for that worship-button*

Great idea with the maze! Ehm.... creepy lab in the basement? Lot of good machinery from Uni if you're using that.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 1:56 PM
Hmm...Not a lab. I just see there isn't some mysterious, big, library-like. With some old books full of secrets...Ohw, I already can imagine it!
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 2:34 PM
The house looks totally great and cosy... however, at first I couldn't get used to the wall mirror illusion in the foyer. Staircases divided by walls on the floor above irks me a bit, but... I don't know, at the same time it fits in with the theme of the house.
For the hill, personally I think a maze or a pavilion would be the best fits. A graveyard could also be an option, depending on whether tombstones are going to be included and not planned to be placed somewhere else.

Nice work with all the details! I love the bust ornaments, and I love the idea of the Draped Demise sculptures holding lamps!
gittevdv, you're one lucky person!
Scholar
#9 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 11:47 PM
I'd go with an elaborate hedge maze outside with lots of nooks and crannies. A conservatory could also be made very creepy.

And indoors, I'd put in (agreeing with gittevdv's suggestion) an extensive library.

This mansion is beautiful. I love midnight hollow. I was recently gifted the world, and can't make myself leave it.
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 1:00 AM
Thank you for your awesome suggestion! I love them all.
I started with Mixas suggestion about some ponds around the house. And it kind of made me inspired to create a fountain inside of a gazebo/pavilion (I dont know the word for it:D)
I will have to find the MH terrain paints somewhere in order to make some proper "landscaping work"

Quote:
Regarding the bedrooms on the first floor, they seem utterly massive? Maybe they could both be split in half? That would provide more function for those halls too. As for the ?s on that level, maybe dressing rooms / single bedrooms? Also you have two huge bathrooms there, maybe one could be another living area/study?

Gitte needs three beds in one of these bedrooms so I have to leave one of them this massive. But I think that the other one can be split in half I think that another living area instead of one of these bathrooms is a good idea.

Quote:
What's also on my mind is if you could make some step-on switch system to unlock/lock, hide/unhide stairs, basements and cellars .
This can be done with 4 step-on switches (or with those wall or ground holes), and each of the switches should reset the rest of the switches. Two of them hide the stairs, two of them unhide the stairs. Two of them are placed outside the cellar, two of them are in the cellar. That would make for even more sense of mystery and darkness (I got such sense because of that blood-room).

That is a very good idea! I will try If I can make something like that. (the "adventure making" is kind of hard for me)
Quote:
Ehm.... creepy lab in the basement? Lot of good machinery from Uni if you're using that.

I love making labs And I will make one there in the "upload version" of the house. (since Gitte doesnt want a lab)

Quote:
Hmm...Not a lab. I just see there isn't some mysterious, big, library-like. With some old books full of secrets...

I was planning a library type of room in the area I called office but if you want it bigger I can give up the winter garden and use both places for the library I think it will look pretty with the stairs.

Quote:
however, at first I couldn't get used to the wall mirror illusion in the foyer. Staircases divided by walls on the floor above irks me a bit, but... I don't know, at the same time it fits in with the theme of the house.

Oh I liked it but it is true that the stairs in the reflection lead to nowhere...I will think about it.

Quote:
A conservatory could also be made very creepy.

I was originally planning a greenhouse and from the images I saw after I googled "conservatory" I understood that it is a bit similiar thing but there is also a sort of "living area" right? So I think that it is definitely an option If I figure out how to fake a greenhouse/conservatory building with CFE

About the hill:
So the ideas are : maze/labyrinth, pool, Pavilion, conservatory.
I really like all the ideas so I would like to try to somehow combine it all.
Maybe the conservatory with a pool inside and maze outside...I will see what I can do.
Screenshots

#11 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 4:18 AM
Stunning, as usual Crowkeeper.
Instructor
#12 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 10:39 AM
That fountain is mesmerising! Wow, such a good job!

Well that's what happens when you're on your own and you're alright at letting nice things go
Scholar
#13 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 10:51 AM
The Victorians were very keen on their follies, so how about a derelict Victorian folly for the top of the hill, something like this one known as 'Fishers Hall' :

Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 12:38 AM Last edited by attuned : 28th Aug 2015 at 4:57 AM.
Terrain paints for Midnight Hollow were available on The Simalogue before Mr Hawk took nearly everything down. If you need them, I'm sure you could contact him here: http://www.thesimalogue.com/

or PM him at MTS: http://modthesims.info/member.php?u=2842292

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Scholar
#15 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 2:35 AM Last edited by tsyokawe : 25th Aug 2015 at 3:55 AM. Reason: tested for moved objects
@crowkeeper

Just a thought - depending on what you're using OMSP for, or how extensively - rather than using
(or to cut down the number of) those OMSP objects, you might prefer to use the NRaas Debug Enabler.
I was told by a few other builders here at MTS that the OMSP files slow down lots. I stopped using them after that.

The thing is, with NRaas, I'm pretty sure the person downloading doesn't need to have the NRaas mod
for the items to stay put (as long as s/he doesn't touch the objects). But it only works on objects that are not outdoor plants, fences, and rocks (from the Build section).

Sometimes with OMSP, if the person doesn't have the mod, a picture will show up in the air where the object was originally placed.
But so far, with NRaas, I've never had an object go wonky or kablooey.

I can double-check that, actually. Day before yesterday, I had to uninstall/reinstall my
game. So it's nice and clean. I will uninstall NRaas, and then install my Landgraab National Gallery (it's rife with moved objects).

If you like, I can let you know by late morning (Montana time) :lovestruc

@scoopy_loopy
It is amazing. You're gonna go nuts with the possibilities.

Edit: I went ahead and tested tonight. I uninstalled all of my NRaas mods (including the MasterController)...everything.
I installed Landgraab National Gallery, and placed it in Midnight Hollow (since that's where I am today).

Every single object that I moved with the NRaas mod is exactly where it should be.
So the NRaas Debug Enabler mod is not required for any person downloading a lot with objects
that have been moved by that mod.

I just wanted you to know that you had this other option, in case you wanted to use it.
Instructor
#16 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 3:43 AM
^ That's AMAZING! I can't wait to start playing around with that!

Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 8:28 PM
Thank you so much for the amazing advice @Tsyokawe
It would be a big problem since, as you said, OMSP slows down the game:

I wil move all the objects with debugenabler instead
I am so happy you told me about this
Screenshots

Instructor
Original Poster
#18 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 6:00 PM
So I removed all OMSPs and used Tsyokawes technique instead

I made a pool + a "greenhouse" on the top of the hill. I tried to make the maze but I wasnt able to make it look pretty no matter what
I had a problem with floating tiles so I removed all ceilings and will make them again as a last step. So now the screenshots might look a bit funny without the ceilings. The "fence" doesnt have the spiky things now for the same reason.

I added graves + the two "step on switches" as Mixa adviced. The stairs will appear under the big grave.

Here is the office:

Here is a living room:

I also removed the mirrors in the foyer as Prismatic adviced:

Here is the basement:

@gittevdv is everything alright so far?

Field Researcher
#19 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 6:35 PM

In like the skeletons xD
#20 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 2:33 AM
This house is what Goth Manor should have been, and sadly never was.
Instructor
#21 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 5:36 AM
I definitely need to have a "worship" button installed. Or the option of clicking the "love" button more than once.

I love it, Crow. It's amazing. Words are not enough. :lovestruc
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 9:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Thranduil Oropherion
This house is what Goth Manor should have been, and sadly never was.

This goes way (but serious way) beyond EA's skills.