Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 8:59 PM Last edited by porkypine : 26th Sep 2016 at 6:37 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default Custom content on super collection/Yosemite
Hi everyone !
First, i apologize for the weird english, i'll do my best to be understandable ! :o
I have installed the Sims 2 Super collection on my mac OS X Yosemite months ago, and succesfully added to it some custon content. Everything worked well until recently. Now that I have reach 3Go of custom content, i happen to have some issues with the game : the loading screen is veryyyyy long and if my custon content exeeds the 3Go, it simply crashes - Or, if it doesn't, the game is full of bugs such as weird legless dogs/cats... Nice. Also, when the game crashes, i just need to delete some custon content, and it will work again exepect that all my sims (but not the lots) always disappear.
I understand that the problem may come from the fact that i exeeded "the space available for the downloads" (sorry, hope you understand what i mean...), but also find it surprising seeing that i play on a powerful computer with a lot of skokage space. Now, i don't know much about computers, but if anyone knows a way for me to get my game to work better, i would be really glad. I've become quite addicted to custon content and feel really frutated with "only" 3Go when i see people who can play just fine with so much more
I've looked in the forums, searching for a similar thread, but couldn't find one, so if i happen to have missed one i apologize and would be glad if someone could directed me to it :o
If no, some help would be greatly appreciated but please use an "easy" english because, as you certainly may have noticed, mine isn't so great ahah
Thank you !
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 17th Jul 2016 at 12:56 PM
I remember having the same problem with the Supercollection on my Mac. I believe it has to do with the "Open File Limit" on Yosemite. I spent some time reading on how to solve it, but never really managed to, so I just gave up and went back to my regular Sims game.

Here are two links that explain the issue further:

https://jeetkundoug.wordpress.com/2...max-open-files/

and

http://blog.mact.me/2014/10/22/yose...open-file-limit

Not sure if things improved with El Capitan, or if some easier solutions have been found, you might research the issue and maybe share your findings!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Jul 2016 at 5:13 PM
Thank you for the links ! If i found a way to solve this problem, i will share it here !
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 19th Sep 2016 at 11:10 PM Last edited by lordtyger9 : 24th Jul 2017 at 3:40 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Premonde
Thank you for the links ! If i found a way to solve this problem, i will share it here !

This is what i found written by an Expert on the subject, I understand it and it seems good, but use at your own risk. I can assure everyone that I have followed the instructions and it works for me.

<<<+=+=+=>>>

Adjusting Open File Limits in Yosemite {note this Should work on El Capitan as well}

To adjust open files limits on a system-wide basis in Mac OS X Yosemite, you must create two configuration files.
The first is a property list (aka plist) file in /Library/LaunchDaemons/limit.maxfiles.plist that contains the following
XML configuration:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<string>limit.maxfiles</string>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
<string>launchctl</string>
<string>limit</string>
<string>maxfiles</string>
<string>65536</string>
<string>65536</string>
</array>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
<key>ServiceIPC</key>
<false/>
</dict>
</plist>

This will set the open files limit to 65536.
The second plist configuration file should be stored in /Library/LaunchDaemons/limit.maxproc.plist with the following
contents:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple/DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<string>limit.maxproc</string>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
<string>launchctl</string>
<string>limit</string>
<string>maxproc</string>
<string>2048</string>
<string>2048</string>
</array>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true />
<key>ServiceIPC</key>
<false />
</dict>
</plist>
Both plist files must be owned by root:wheel and have permissions -rw-r--r--.
This permissions should be in place by default, but you can ensure that they are in place by
running sudo chmod 644 <filename>. While the steps explained above will cause system-wide open file limits to be correctly set upon restart, you can apply them manually by running launchctl limit.

In addition to setting these limits at the system level, we recommend setting the at the session level as well by
appending the following lines to your bashrc, bashprofile, or analogous file:

Shell
ulimit -n 65536
ulimit -u 2048
Like the plist files, your bashrc or similar file should have -rw-r--r-- permissions.
At this point, you can restart your computer and enter ulimit -n into your terminal. If your system is configured correctly, you should see that maxfiles has been set to 65536.

<<<+=+=+=>>>
additional notes

"Both plist files must be owned by root:wheel and have permissions -rw-r--r--.
This permissions should be in place by default, but you can ensure that they are in place by
running sudo chmod 644 <filename>. While the steps explained above will cause system-wide open file limits to be correctly set upon restart, you can apply them manually by running launchctl limit."

Terminal commands to do this are:

sudo chown root:wheel <PathToFile>
sudo chmod 0644 <PathToFile>

Probably the easiest way to enter the <PathToFile> would be to type the commands followed by a space and then drag the file into the open Terminal window and hit return.

You will be asked for your admin password the first time and when you type it you won’t see any typing. Just hit return when you are finished entering it.